Requesting Detailed Drift example

• Thread starter clanegie
  • 227 comments
Note: not all the veterans have the DFP but yeah..your going to have to play around with the Amuse AP1, the S.S trueno and the Rx-7 but I will give you settings for those. but like I said, once I get it uploaded to youtube and yousendit, I will give you those Via PM.
Oops.. I have mistype that. I actually mean the throttle, not putting apart players using DS2 or any wheels. Didn't mean it. Looking forward for your PM.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry guys for the misunderstanding. I actually meant to see how one can feint drift only on throttle, no brakes.

Ok, that's what I thought you meant. :)

I may throw something together myself if I have the time. But I probably won't. :D

Ske, that video was very cool, especially the 2nd part with the in-cockpit view - that was helpful.

Are there are drift technique video's that show how to do different techniques?

Are there are drift technique video's that show how to do different techniques?
I remembered i did view such a thread before, showing individuals videos on different drifting techniques. I tried looking around and searching for ya, but i'm kinda lost at where is it.

Maybe you can wait for a more senior member to reply. If not, maybe u can try searching on youtube. It may have some.

*IF I'M NOT WRONG, Boundary Layer did those videos showing all different techniques.

*IF I'M NOT WRONG, Boundary Layer did those videos showing all different techniques.

You would be correct. :) Check the Drift reference thread for the videos.

Its getting better and better i guess! :sly: But still way behind you guys. I can just see the improvements on myself.

Having problems with corner #3 on trial mountain. If i'm not wrong again, i believe corner #3 & #4(Tunnel) can be linked together right? Even though between them lies a strength of straight.

I will be getting the TV Tuner real soon, then i will post videos for all you guys to advise on.

*I've switch to Honda S2000, to me it seems smoother than my Madza FC.. Though i didn't know why it will seems smoother for me..:guilty:

nope, you're one corner too far ahead there Swift.

He's talking about the double left. The final uphill left kink and linking that to the first tunnel.

They can be linked, but it will obviously be quite a shallow drift. It's all about using the track to it's fullest there. You have to nail the entry on the third corner, clip the apex cleanly without rubbing off any speed, and take the car over the rumble strips on the outside of the straight to give yourself a shot at holding your drift into the tunnel. (at least, the odd time I've pulled it off, that's how it happened)

I dunno what sorta settings you're using on your S2k at the moment, but if you find it difficult to hold a shallow drift try dropping your lsd accel setting to something around 20-ish. It'll reduce your ability to steer with the gas, but it makes the long sweepers easier.

Do you mean this one here?

Sorry if i've mixed up with the corners' number.. In my point of view, what you had highlighted in the track is Corner #4 & #5. My enquiry was on Corner #3 & #4.:)

I guess you Pros can link almost all the first few corners.. But i'm not looking into a hard one to start linking, so i chose #3 & #4 to start with...Hope its not a hard one.:nervous:

Sorry if i've mixed up with the corners' number.. In my point of view, what you had highlighted in the track is Corner #4 & #5. My enquiry was on Corner #3 & #4.:)

I guess you Pros can link almost all the first few corners.. But i'm not looking into a hard one to start linking, so i chose #3 & #4 to start with...Hope its not a hard one.:nervous:

Ah, ok. Well BL already answered that inquiry better then I could anyway.

To be honest, there are some links that I don't drift just because it looks so boring. :D

They can be linked, but it will obviously be quite a shallow drift. It's all about using the track to it's fullest there. You have to nail the entry on the third corner, clip the apex cleanly without rubbing off any speed, and take the car over the rumble strips on the outside of the straight to give yourself a shot at holding your drift into the tunnel. (at least, the odd time I've pulled it off, that's how it happened)

I dunno what sorta settings you're using on your S2k at the moment, but if you find it difficult to hold a shallow drift try dropping your lsd accel setting to something around 20-ish. It'll reduce your ability to steer with the gas, but it makes the long sweepers easier.
I'm gonna try it now to see how it feels!

I'm gonna try it now to see how it feels!

It's a tricky one and honestly, I don't find it too satisfying. If you want one a little more ascetically pleasing, check out the first part of WDS5 That one looks very good when you get it right. :)

heh, I'd call that a hard one clanegie.

If you were looking for some easier dual apexes to cut your teeth on, I'd suggest these:

WDS6-GrandValleyEast.jpg

WDS5-AutumnRing.jpg

(just drive the whole lap really... lots of links at AR)

WDS4-ApricotHill.jpg

See the corresponding WDS thread if you want to view some demo vids.

I'd also suggest the first two turns of GVE Reverse (that's one of my personal favs)

I'm maintaining that you just switched the post order with your mod power - I don't get treed :sly:

I can't do that. I can only get rid of posts or merge them together. So yep, YOU BE TREED! :lol: :cool:

Alright guys... You two had been greatly helping me out and i'm very glad about it! Thanks alot..

But by just looking at the tracks, its making me shiver again. Til now, i feel my drifting are just at the lowest level. As i'm getting used to trial mountain, thats why i wanted to give a shot at trying to link. As for those harder ones, i will have to give up trying on them first before i can get my drifts right. :indiff:

I had reduce my LSD (Accel) to 21, and i do feel the difference in it as you had mentioned BL. Now it will take a few laps to get used to it. I'm a learner still..:guilty:

One more question, do i need alot of angle in a drift to get it to last longer?
Or does it depends on the speed and angle as well?

One more question, do i need alot of angle in a drift to get it to last longer?
Or does it depends on the speed and angle as well?

The higher the angle the shorter/slower your drift will be. So you want LESS angle on that long link you're talking about.

And those other tracks aren't all that bad. Especially Autumn Ring(except for the merry go round). It'll be good training as well. There's a section of 4 corners that if you can get those, you have truly good control of your car. :)

WDS10-AutumnRingMini.jpg

Actually, it's closer to 7 corners. But I would concentrate on the first 4-5 for now :)

Wow, Ive missed alot while I was gone.

I have my video of drifting trial mountain with no brakes uploading on the 'tube. Thats quite fun, challenging though. Theres one turn that I can almost never get on trial, and thats the left after the long up-hill straight. I ended up going too fast over the hill and just let the car go into the wall in the video. But now ive gotten a better hang of throttle control from doing that course. :)

Wow, Ive missed alot while I was gone.

I have my video of drifting trial mountain with no brakes uploading on the 'tube. Thats quite fun, challenging though. Theres one turn that I can almost never get on trial, and thats the left after the long up-hill straight. I ended up going too fast over the hill and just let the car go into the wall in the video. But now ive gotten a better hang of throttle control from doing that course. :)
Can we all have the link to your youtube video?? I wanna see it.

Its taking forever to load, because Im downloading a movie from iTunes at the same time.

Nvm, it stoped uploading! (grrr) Ill post the link as soon as its done ;)

WDS10-AutumnRingMini.jpg

Actually, it's closer to 7 corners. But I would concentrate on the first 4-5 for now :)
That ones definatly tricky, because you'll usually be carrying WAY too much speed into the exit of the busstop, and you'll snap spin on the last corner of it.

Grand Valley East Reverse's first two corners are an absolute b***h to get right, you need a HEAVY angle into the first corner, and use the angle to slow you down, then power out the second part.

Damn the 'tube. It stops uploading, and then my computer cleaned my file off. Ill record it tomarrow. :banghead:

The most trouble I have, is that left after the up-hill straight. I keep trying it, but Ive pulled it off only a few times. I enter at about 110mph, and then go into a heavy fient into the apex. it works some times, but typicaly it understeers into the wall. Otherwise, Ive got the course down pretty ok, just need to get a good run to record.

Hopefully Ill be home from school tomarrow (im sick :crazy: !) and have plenty of GT4 time.

Im using a mix of sharon's and then some of my setup right now. Mainly his LSD settings.

Back