rFactor 2 v982 32/64Bit

• Thread starter Voltaic
  • 2,320 comments
Your processor is maybe on the borderline of being playable. It is your onboard Intel graphics that will really kill any chance of getting a good enough frame rate if the minimum requirements are accurate.

So also assuming what I posted is even correct, I'm likely going to have the same problem with running it as I did the C.A.R.S. build.

If you pick up a Ivy bridge laptop in the future then you should be able to play it pretty well even with onboard graphics and it should not cost much plus you will have great battery life and a really fast laptop.

If I can afford it, sure then I'll get it.

Build (or buy if you absolutely must) a proper gaming PC, RACECAR. You'll be glad you did.

Are those expensive?

Last edited:
So also assuming what I posted is even correct, I'm likely going to have the same problem with running it as I did the C.A.R.S. build.

If I can afford it, sure then I'll get it.

Yes. However you should be able to play something like rFactor 1 on your laptop fine at low settings or maybe something like Simraceway which is based on the same engine.

It should be similar price to what your current laptop cost. The best thing about these new laptops coming out mentioned previously will be amazing battery life and also if you do any video editing then it will save you serious time on that too. Alternatives to play rFactor 2 and other PC games would be to get a cheap desktop PC if you got the space / want one to play these games quite well.

Yes. However you should be able to play something like rFactor 1 on your laptop fine at low settings or maybe something like Simraceway which is based on the same engine.

I was able to play rFactor pretty easily (even with high graphics settings) and frame rate really was only a issue depending on tracks I got (which was usually choppy but not unbearable as C.A.R.S. was).

It should be similar price to what your current laptop cost. The best thing about these new laptops coming out mentioned previously will be amazing battery life and also if you do any video editing then it will save you serious time on that too. Alternatives to play rFactor 2 and other PC games would be to get a cheap desktop PC if you got the space / want one to play these games quite well.

Space is the biggest issue I have at the moment with Desktops so Laptops at the moment are the more fitting option for now.

Alternatives to play rFactor 2 and other PC games would be to get a cheap desktop PC if you got the space / want one to play these games quite well.
Something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rns would fit the bill perfectly and it's fairly cheap, build or buy something similar and you're sorted 👍

The most important parts are a decent quad-core CPU and decent video card (Radeon 6850/70 6950/70, GTX 560 onwards), pretty much anything with a previous-gen (Lynnfield/Bloomfield) or current-gen (Sandy Bridge) Intel CPU would do the job.

@RACECAR - rF1 is a 2005 game, CARS is a 2011/2012 title - technology in 2011/12 is more advanced than what we had in 2005 and so system requirements rise too, I'm not surprised CARS makes your laptop wish it was dead. You will struggle to find a laptop capable of running either rF2 or CARS at an acceptable framerate unless you're willing to fork out $1k or more, and at that price you'd be infinitely better off with a desktop.

I was able to play rFactor pretty easily (even with high graphics settings) and frame rate really was only a issue depending on tracks I got (which was usually choppy but not unbearable as C.A.R.S. was).

Space is the biggest issue I have at the moment with Desktops so Laptops at the moment are the more fitting option for now.

rFactor 2 should run better than C.A.R.S. but how much better we will only know once they release it. The minimum specs might be wrong so you maybe will be able to play it on the lowest setting.

Maybe it will be good to get a laptop with a decent discrete graphics card to be able to play at higher settings. Roughly what would be your maximum budget? You are also in luck as this year will be the biggest upgrade in performance since 2-3 years for any computing device whether it be smartphones or laptops. If you get a new laptop in like 5 months time you will get amazing performance without it costing a fortune and also the laptop running cool as well and having battery life similar / better compared to current portable netbooks.

Something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rns would fit the bill perfectly and it's fairly cheap, build or buy something similar and you're sorted 👍

The most important parts are a decent quad-core CPU and decent video card (Radeon 6850/70 6950/70, GTX 560 onwards), pretty much anything with a previous-gen (Lynnfield/Bloomfield) or current-gen (Sandy Bridge) Intel CPU would do the job.

@RACECAR - rF1 is a 2005 game, CARS is a 2011/2012 title - technology in 2011/12 is more advanced than what we had in 2005 and so system requirements rise too, I'm not surprised CARS makes your laptop wish it was dead. You will struggle to find a laptop capable of running either rF2 or CARS at an acceptable framerate unless you're willing to fork out $1k or more, and at that price you'd be infinitely better off with a desktop.

The price of that desktop, he will be better of getting a laptop for a similar price due to the space reasons. Graphics power with 28nm mobility cards coming out will give him more than enough to play games at decent FPS, a solid 60FPS depending on settings. Price should be around $449-$750 for a laptop that will be able to play rFactor 2 at about 60FPS. The more closer to $750 the higher the settings on any game I would say.

Last edited:
Trust me, a $750 laptop will struggle to pull 60fps in rF2 on even medium settings - the $750 models on Newegg have the bottom-end mobile SB processors and awful graphics chips (on the models without Intel's HD3000 integrated chip).

Trust me, a $750 laptop will struggle to pull 60fps in rF2 on even medium settings - the $750 models on Newegg have the bottom-end mobile SB processors and awful graphics chips (on the models without Intel's HD3000 integrated chip).

Quick search: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230133

The new parts will give around a 30% improvement on that at the same price and that is within a few months. The processor on that is more powerful than most peoples desktops.

A GT540M is rubbish. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158083 is much more likely to perform reasonably well in rF2 thanks to the 6850M, and it's $1500...
It is still a lot more powerful than a PS3 graphics card and if you read the reviews everyone is playing the latest games on decent settings. He will be getting a card with much more performance than that as that is only 40nm GPU, 28nm GPU will give a good performance increase.

Something like this has got a decent GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246221

Any it is safe to say rFactor 2 if spending around $750 you will be able to play at 60FPS on decent settings and any other game for that matter. The GPU will be twice as powerful as the PS3 at that budget 👍.

rFactor 2 should run better than C.A.R.S. but how much better we will only know once they release it. The minimum specs might be wrong so you maybe will be able to play it on the lowest setting.

Maybe it will be good to get a laptop with a decent discrete graphics card to be able to play at higher settings. Roughly what would be your maximum budget? You are also in luck as this year will be the biggest upgrade in performance since 2-3 years for any computing device whether it be smartphones or laptops. If you get a new laptop in like 5 months time you will get amazing performance without it costing a fortune and also the laptop running cool as well and having battery life similar / better compared to current portable netbooks.

The price of that desktop, he will be better of getting a laptop for a similar price due to the space reasons. Graphics power with 28nm mobility cards coming out will give him more than enough to play games at decent FPS, a solid 60FPS depending on settings. Price should be around $449-$750 for a laptop that will be able to play rFactor 2 at about 60FPS. The more closer to $750 the higher the settings on any game I would say.

Thats about my budget right there, maybe a little more (well before class supplies for college).

Thats about my budget right there, maybe a little more (well before class supplies for college).

That is good then, if you go to the top end of that, you will be able to play more or less all games at medium to high at high frame rates. As long as you can wait a few months for the launch of the new technology. It will be definately worth the wait. It will be amazing to have that portability and power. I'm personally more excited at getting a smartphone that has power but more than a day battery life but that is a different matter.

One thing I would say though is anywhere in that budget, you should be able to play rFactor 2 at 60FPS.

That is good then, if you go to the top end of that, you will be able to play more or less all games at medium to high at high frame rates. As long as you can wait a few months for the launch of the new technology. It will be definately worth the wait. It will be amazing to have that portability and power. I'm personally more excited at getting a smartphone that has power but more than a day battery life but that is a different matter.

I'm willing to wait, I'm in no rush given I don't even know when this comes out. I'll likely also transfer all my games to it as well. If the ones with very minimal system requirements play well on my low end Acer, then they'll be incredible with that.

One thing I would say though is anywhere in that budget, you should be able to play rFactor 2 at 60FPS.

That'll be excellent.

I'm willing to wait, I'm in no rush given I don't even know when this comes out. I'll likely also transfer all my games to it as well. If the ones with very minimal system requirements play well on my low end Acer, then they'll be incredible with that.

That'll be excellent.

Maybe April-June time. The games you currently play will easily run maxxed out 👍.

Last edited:
The games you currently play will easily run maxxed out 👍.
No they won't, and as this discussion is veering away from rF2 into "I need a new computer" territory that's the last I'm going to say on this matter.

No they won't, and as this discussion is veering away from rF2 into "I need a new computer" territory that's the last I'm going to say on this matter.
Maybe that statement is incorrect for one of the games, but for rFactor 1 it certainly is the case. Will PM you RACECAR when the new stuff comes out.

Question, so in This RD Discussion they mention that the .exe file is likely available very soon. Are they suggesting that the .exe file is going to contain the full beta content? Sorry, noob question. :embarrassed:

Thanks, I saw that link in the discussion. Do you add those files to the first rFactor, or will they work on their own once the .exe is released?

Thanks, I saw that link in the discussion. Do you add those files to the first rFactor, or will they work on their own once the .exe is released?

Not to the rFactor(1), it will be a new separate stand alone installation of rFactor 2.

The latter, rF2 isn't an expansion to rF1 :P

Mod beta files downloaded so I'm ready and waiting for the beta installer 👍

Back