RIDE 5 to Launch August 24 for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series

• Thread starter Famine
  • 214 comments
I think the MotoGP game physics are a bit overly difficult so taming them down doesn’t bother me. Maybe I just suck at them, I guess - but my God since about MotoGP 20 the braking is just so, so hard to get right. Games lose their fun if you have to rewind the same corner three times trying to avoid a sudden crash that happens just because you put 1% too much pressure in the brake while turning in.

It’s a shame they don’t do demos anymore really because I could be tempted either way with Ride 5. But the expense, with Forza Motorsport on the horizon, is stopping me from taking the plunge.
From MotoGP 20 onwards, especially trail braking has become much more difficult, it's true. TBH, even previously you had to be very careful under braking (the pad would let you know with vibration when you were about to overdo it), but from that game forward it feels like you are even more at risk. I mean, between MotoGP 19 and MotoGP 20, even if you choose the same bike on the same track, maybe you have to make more use of the rewind (which you probably didn't use at all in MotoGP 19)... Not funny at all.

Anyway, considering the current state of the game, I think I'd rather focus on Forza Motorsport, get it at launch, and then get RIDE 5 only in a few months, when they've fixed a few things and maybe they've also clarified the DLC plan. And possibly even taking it on offer.

EDIT: Milestone team has updated the website dedicated to RIDE 5, a page about the DLC plan has been added and apparently 8 more paid DLCs and 6 free DLCs await us. No clue about the contents, though:

Last edited:
From MotoGP 20 onwards, especially trail braking has become much more difficult, it's true. TBH, even previously you had to be very careful under braking (the pad would let you know with vibration when you were about to overdo it), but from that game forward it feels like you are even more at risk. I mean, between MotoGP 19 and MotoGP 20, even if you choose the same bike on the same track, maybe you have to make more use of the rewind (which you probably didn't use at all in MotoGP 19)... Not funny at all.

Anyway, considering the current state of the game, I think I'd rather focus on Forza Motorsport, get it at launch, and then get RIDE 5 only in a few months, when they've fixed a few things and maybe they've also clarified the DLC plan. And possibly even taking it on offer.

EDIT: Milestone team has updated the website dedicated to RIDE 5, a page about the DLC plan has been added and apparently 8 more paid DLCs and 6 free DLCs await us. No clue about the contents, though:
According page source code, tracks will be
Stelvio, Sierra Nevada, Estoril, Vallelunga, Fuji Speedway and a short track pack.

Last edited:
According page source code, tracks will be
Stelvio, Sierra Nevada, Estoril, Vallelunga, Fuji Speedway and a short track pack.
Sincerely happy for the return of Stelvio and Sierra Nevada... As an italian, also happy for the return of Vallelunga... Good debut in the series for Estoril and Fuji... But I can't deny that I am very sorry for the fact that then Phillip Island is definitely lost. I was hoping it would return via DLC. That's a shame.

Macau and Phillip Island are big misses, I’d take either of those over any of the rumoured above. Fuji in particular is horrible, I’ve always hated it.
Yes, instead of Fuji I too would have preferred another track, in particular, given that it was the Asia-Pacific area, I would have preferred Phillip Island. Fuji seems to me a lot more suited to car racing than motorbike racing. Macau TBH is a loss that weighs less on me than Phillip Island, I can't deny it, even if I sometimes enjoyed it a lot.

On the other hand... Considering that we already have several North American tracks, I would have liked to have some others, such as Brainerd, or Pittsburgh, or New Jersey... So we could have recreated a sort of MotoAmerica championship.

Last edited:
Estoril and Vallenlunga are welcome additions, but Fuji... Wow, that's a curious choice. Philip Island was one of my favourites so I'm going to miss that. So many great tracks in this world and we get Fuji. Bet they could have license a few gooders for the cost of that, too...

Finally got a chance to jump in for a while this morning. First up, love the new helmet cam. That is awesome stuff. They've obviously spent some time on sounds, on three machines I've tried so far sound a little better, and surrounding environment sounds are a step up too. Doesn't look much better than 4 on the XSX but it already looked so good that's not a complaint. I think the bikes and materials might look a hair better, there might be more detail in far off trees, that sort of thing.

Physics wise, I went in thinking "same, same, here we go." It's subtle, but I really think there's a lot more going on here, to be honest. The new tuning options are welcome and they actually do stuff. The bike seems to react to road irregularities a lot more and a lot more realistically. I don't have much time in yet, but I'm liking it so far. I know my usual default Ride series BS setups did not do what they used to do, there's going to be a learning curve here.

I'm sort of a single player career focused player, and from what I can see so far- once you were past the GD license tests in 4, that had the best career of the series. Going through 5's is looking like if it doesn't open up some after the initial group of series, it's going to be a tedious and hateful experience. So far the AI looks like an improvement, but I'm reserving judgement for now.

As I can see with the reviews, it is the same Milestone move as from Ride 3>Ride 4.
Remove some old bikes and tracks than charge them again with DLC and sell again unfinished product.
I luckily have Ride 4 to pass again as the progress won't transfer from PS4 to PS5 version.
Thank you Milestone, fool someone else this time.

That’s how all the games , especially sport/racing work except racing PC simulation titles. Forza Motorsport will do the PC way with a main game and DLC for years. If Ride 5 used the Unreal Engine 5 I would of liked the series to go that route too.

I play Gran Turismo 98% of the time.
It is not perfect, but at least have longetivity and every new title brings something new.
I also like motorbikes and on this generation of consoles Ride series is only title with similar concept to GT, but they have so much to learn from PD.
There is no need to present some new career progress concept in every new title, just make progress logical like in older GT titles and we are good.
Ride has some flawed uneven chanpionship that I thing even AI would make better if you asked it.
Only for Milestone makes sense to have one championship and then have race of 3 laps on Tsukuba and on Nordschleife, and so on.

Regarding DLC, if you bring all old content with title, then add new tracks and bikes with DLC, that would make sense, but no to remove dozen bikes from old title then bring them back (this cannot be compared to GT7 as we are now getting back cars that are newly modeled,where Milestone just brings back same quality bikes from earlier titles).

Last edited:
RIDE 5 DLC plan fully revealed (well, apart from the free DLCs... but I don't expect great content from those, if I'm proven wrong I'll be happy):

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 17-22-21 Beautyshot_plan_01-1-scaled.webp (immagine WEBP 2560 × 990 p...png

Last edited:
Three things I wish they would sort out:

1: hire someone who knows how to model faces. All those beautifully modeled bikes being ridden by the living dead.
2: please include more races during the career mode that are lower-class bikes. Sick of seeing 1000cc...1000cc...etc
3: why lock out the races to 3 laps????

1: hire someone who knows how to model faces. All those beautifully modeled bikes being ridden by the living dead.
2: please include more races during the career mode that are lower-class bikes. Sick of seeing 1000cc...1000cc...etc
I agree with your points but do you care what the avatar looks like? It’s a waste of time considering they wear helmets. I’m sure you are just pointing out a 🤪. It would be a little interesting to see if they used your height and weight for a IRL physics. Of course everyone online will be 4ft and 60lbs

I actually got talking (this is not a normal occurrence, don’t judge me) to someone at work today who has bought this. He told me that the physics are now much more like one of the MotoGP series games, in that it’s hard to slow down for the corners and you end up using rewind a lot. He also told me that the AI is really inconsistent and they ride around quite erratically like you’re not there. Both massive red flags for me.

Also though said that it’s good fun once you adjust your approach to it, the graphics are good and the circuits look way better, that the helmet cam is really good fun and that you can construct your own championships etc with race creator so can essentially recreate real championships etc etc. Which make me want to buy it again. Then I look on the store and the basic version is £69.99?!! Maybe I don’t want it that much.

I think MotoGP is way worse braking wise. Milestone just has a strange perspective of how braking works or how they want to present it. Basically to get reason braking in Ride
  1. No matter when you start braking you need to hold it. MS has it backwards in regards to weight transition. You get more at slower speed for some reason, but for the game that’s when most of the stopping power comes in. So brake early…you will still outbrake the AI… and hold the brakes until you’re just about to turn. It’s not really natural but hey is what it is.
  2. Gear matters. Again strange MS perception. If you short shift like you’d do in real life and match revs the game won’t slow you down. You have to hold the gear and then drop down almost right when you’re about to turn in. If you drop gears early the bike will just free wheel and not slow down
  3. Rider weight Balance. You have to balance pushing weight forward. Again not something I do in real life but hey it’s just a game. The tricky thing about this for me is the default mapping where it’s part of the steering stick. So I changed it to the right stick which really isn’t used or a button (but that’s all or not). I miss the simple tuck button. It had the same function of forward weight when turning. Perfect example is if you play Tourist Trophy and watch a replay. Funny the older original SBK games for PC worked the same way. it was WAY better then it is now.
So if you don’t try apply real work techniques braking can be understood or at least be a bit more predictable . the same can’t be said for the AI. But still typical MS AI. They are in one game and you’re in another. You can’t ride in traffic cause they’ll just run into you and keep going

I’m disappointed in the DLC path and while petty if the 2005 R1 (@MR Farenheit I know the feeling :(. Doubt I‘ll ever see a race mod 05 R1) is returned in one of those free bike pack then there isn’t any point for me to play the game. I’ve already gone back to Ride 4 because the “upgrades” of R5 aren’t worth losing my progress in R4 and all of the bikes I’ve owned are in R4.

@Retro_UK …. I kind of disagree lol. I don’t think they need more laps in career mode. It’s bad even to have to grind through the races that are there that may not have one’s preferenece/interest.

I don’t get why these companies are so obsessed with making players grind through these games. If it’s fun/enjoyable people will play them ( I still play Sega Rally 2 on my Dreamcast pretty regularly). They should make the games have more options for progression. If they made all the bikes available for purchase I’d probably give R5 more play. But to have to grind through 4 LONG seasons of bikes/races I have no interesting just to be able to buy a bike? Nah I’ll pass. If people are into that career mode thing to keep them playing that’s fine. But I paid my money as well and shouldn’t be locked out of 80% of the game. If I wanted busy work or homework I’d go back to school

Last edited:

1. Although not really important since they use helmets, I do agree with point one. They look so bad it's scary. And even worst, they used them to open the launch/presentation video... either there's no one with taste at Milestone of they are smoking crappy ****.
2. For a newbie like me, that was also an issue. The first races use a 200/300 level bike then quickly jump right to 600 level bikes - that's a huge gap.
3. Can't remember how many laps the races had. I'm usually busy tasting the grass everywhere... some spots feel greener and fresher than others ;)

Overall I find the game way more accessible than Ride4. I can actually control the bikes better here (up to 600 class). Tasting grass is mostly caused by someone hiting me (or the opposite) rather than losing control (which was common for me in Ride 4). The graphics are definitely a bit better (sky, clouds, weather), less artifacts on replays on the wheels (bottom), more detailed material based(?) front/tail lights (they now have more depth, refract light like glass and look overall way better when turned on - screenshot below) etc.
I'm way far from being a pro but I'm enjoying the game more than ever.

IMG_1239.JPG

Last edited:
I enjoyed Ride3, but Ride4 was a complete disappointment for me. I couldn't advance through the game at all and gave up trying after about a month. It felt like I had to be a complete gaming hero just to get the minimum bronze medal times. It was a complete waste of my money. Is Ride5 any more accessible then 4? Can a mere casual at least advance past the opening rounds?

I enjoyed Ride3, but Ride4 was a complete disappointment for me. I couldn't advance through the game at all and gave up trying after about a month. It felt like I had to be a complete gaming hero just to get the minimum bronze medal times. It was a complete waste of my money. Is Ride5 any more accessible then 4? Can a mere casual at least advance past the opening rounds?
Not really. Its actually worse if you ask me. VERY linear. In Ride 4 at least when you got to a level you could skip around within that level. In Ride 5 it's extremely linear in that everything is locked until you complete whatever the current task is. For example I want the Yamaha R1 2020 RM it is locked until I complete what is level 7. To get to that levels 1-2 have to be completed. level 2 has 23 events. Each events can have been 3 to 5 races that can be 3 to 5 to 20min endurance races. Some of the event you win a couple of the first and it will complete but most aren't like that. So it sucks when you have to keep racing tracks/bikes you hate over and over and over.

For a bike I just put the AI on easy w/o collisions and put the game on almost super slowmo and then put a couple movies on just to work through these levels. But then stopped because didn't see the point. This is supposed to be fun and it's not. It's busy work. The game isn't bad but the design is horrid. So after 12hrs I went back to Ride4. Just not enough in Ride5 to make it worth the grind. Plus the fact that the game seems to crash every other race (PS5) .........why bother

Last edited:
It's interesting how some think that Ride 5 is better than Ride 4 and how some think the very opposite. I only played Ride 4 briefly but found it relatively enjoyable so I hope it will be the same with 5 🤞

It's interesting how some think that Ride 5 is better than Ride 4 and how some think the very opposite. I only played Ride 4 briefly but found it relatively enjoyable so I hope it will be the same with 5 🤞
If I had never played Ride 4 I’d think Ride 5 was great. The problem is that I have played and put a ton of hours into Ride 4 and what was taken out combined to what was added and what wasn’t fixed doesn’t really make Ride 5 worth having to grind through it again. They’ve removed one of my favorite tracks and bikes, locked the bike I really got the game for deep in a linear tedious career. Really haven’t updated the gear. didn’t fix the AI or braking. ”new” bike and tracks aren’t really inspiring to me (and would have passed on purchasing if had been listed before day one released). And now they put their Advertising on the front menu. The Ride 4 menu was more fluid and faster. I don’t recall Ride 4 (PS4 or PS5) ever crashing, yet Ride 5 has crashed more than all my PS4 & PS5 games(gaming time) combined.

Again I think it’s a matter of perspective. If you’re new to bike games or haven’t played a Ride game in a while it’s good (but even then if I had to choose I’d buy Ride 4 based on content). But 1 step forward and 4 steps backwards if you’ve played Ride 4. The actual handling of the bikes is slightly better in R5. It’s the game design and content that really makes it “polarizing” .

IMG_3063.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't expect more than 10-15 in total. FM7 only had a single new car to the franchise, the Porsche GT2RS. ATM these are the new cars:

2018 Acura #36 NSX GT3
2018 Audi # 44 R8 LMS GT3
2020 Automobili Pininfarina Battista
2023 Cadillac #01 Cadillac Racing V-Series.R
2023 Cadillac #31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac Racing V-Series.R
2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2020 Chevrolet #3 Corvette Racing C8.R
2014 Ford #17 AMD Tuning Focus ST BTCC
2020 Honda #73 LA Honda World Racing Civic
2020 Hyundai #98 Bryan Herta Autosport Veloster N
2019 Lamborghini Sián FKP 37
2020 Lynk & Co #62 Cyan Racing 03
1966 McLaren #4 Bruce McLaren Motor Racing M1B
2015 Porsche #91 Porsche Team Manthey 991 RSR

Bold = in Base game, so 11 in total (9 if you don't count the Lynk and Sian, since they are nearly the same car that have been present in older games but renamed)

If I had never played Ride 4 I’d think Ride 5 was great. The problem is that I have played and put a ton of hours into Ride 4 and what was taken out combined to what was added and what wasn’t fixed doesn’t really make Ride 5 worth having to grind through it again. They’ve removed one of my favorite tracks and bikes, locked the bike I really got the game for deep in a linear tedious career. Really haven’t updated the gear. didn’t fix the AI or braking. ”new” bike and tracks aren’t really inspiring to me (and would have passed on purchasing if had been listed before day one released). And now they put their Advertising on the front menu. The Ride 4 menu was more fluid and faster. I don’t recall Ride 4 (PS4 or PS5) ever crashing, yet Ride 5 has crashed more than all my PS4 & PS5 games(gaming time) combined.

Again I think it’s a matter of perspective. If you’re new to bike games or haven’t played a Ride game in a while it’s good (but even then if I had to choose I’d buy Ride 4 based on content). But 1 step forward and 4 steps backwards if you’ve played Ride 4. The actual handling of the bikes is slightly better in R5. It’s the game design and content that really makes it “polarizing” .

View attachment 1285126
I guess we just have to wait and see if it gets better with patch updates and the season pass content. I'm not a bike fan generally but do still enjoy racing with bikes in racing games so I'm quite unaware of bike models added and removed etc.
I just know it has a ton of bikes, many of which I may never actually get to try anyway lol.

Last edited:
I guess we just have to wait and see if it gets better with patch updates and the season pass content. I'm not a bike fan generally but do still enjoy racing with bikes in racing games so I'm quite unaware of bike models added and removed etc.
I just know it has a ton of bikes, many of which I may never actually get to try anyway lol.
Based on that I think Ride 5 would be great for you. PS5 crashes aside I don’t think patches will resolve the other things people have complained about (braking, AI, etc……) because they are at this point “Milestone style”. They finally released the DLC support so that is mapped out and as you’re not as stated a bike fan, it will most likely suit you. On it’s own Ride 5 is great (depending on if you like the career grind thing) and the race creator is awesome feature if you aren’t into career. Lots of bikes and tracks and cross play. It’s just a bit disappointing content wise if you’re coming from Ride4

full disclosure I’m a longtime Milestone customer, from their first SBK game back in 1999 up to Ride 5. I’ve owned every one of their bike games except for their “compact” release which was a ripoff. So I’m very critical of their releases as they don’t fix the small items that keep their games from being completely awesome and just half ass other things and worse just rehash things cause they have no competition. All the press reviews tend to give them a pass for things they’d rip a car game like GT or Assetto Corsa for because they generally aren’t true bike people and don’t care about the details. If Milestone had competition they’d put more effort but since they don’t they do what they want which is frustrating if you’re like me.

Last edited:
Yep. I really, really appreciate that Milestone are there doing what they do, because if they weren’t who else would do it? But do I wish they were a bit better at it? Sure.

I’d have bought Ride 5 if WRC and Forza weren’t on the horizon (no pun intended), in honesty. So it’s not really the game’s fault I haven’t, I guess.

Based on that I think Ride 5 would be great for you. PS5 crashes aside I don’t think patches will resolve the other things people have complained about (braking, AI, etc……) because they are at this point “Milestone style”. They finally released the DLC support so that is mapped out and as you’re not as stated a bike fan, it will most likely suit you. On it’s own Ride 5 is great (depending on if you like the career grind thing) and the race creator is awesome feature if you aren’t into career. Lots of bikes and tracks and cross play. It’s just a bit disappointing content wise if you’re coming from Ride4

full disclosure I’m a longtime Milestone customer, from their first SBK game back in 1999 up to Ride 5. I’ve owned every one of their bike games except for their “compact” release which was a ripoff. So I’m very critical of their releases as they don’t fix the small items that keep their games from being completely awesome and just half ass other things and worse just rehash things cause they have no competition. All the press reviews tend to give them a pass for things they’d rip a car game like GT or Assetto Corsa for because they generally aren’t true bike people and don’t care about the details. If Milestone had competition they’d put more effort but since they don’t they do what they want which is frustrating if you’re like me.
I think you're probably right in that Ride is the only real bike racing franchise out so Milestone know they don't have much in the way of competition so don't necessarily need to iron out the small details (how I would see them) but to bike fans would actually be larger and more irritating things.
It's just a very niche type of game I guess. A bit like Train Sim World and MS Flight Simulator, both of which I love.

One thing that I have noticed is that both Ride 4 and Ride 5 are missing bikes from the 1970s. They have a decent amount from the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s but none from the 70s. Was that a particularly bad decade for bikes lol?

Last edited:
One thing that I have noticed is that both Ride 4 and Ride 5 are missing bikes from the 1970s. They have a decent amount from the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s but none from the 70s. Was that a particularly bad decade for bikes lol?
Bike culture? Hugely important. Massive. Technologically speaking? The 70's are where most of today's machines can trace their roots back to. But for actually riding the things? Well, let's just say motor development outpaced chassis and suspension development by a couple of decades and leave it at that...

Ride always had a good amount of bikes but don’t want to go all the way. It is a scam counting all the “race modified “ bikes as a different bikes when all it is is an upgraded bike. Ride started doing this the correct way back in a previous Ride game, when there were licensed Real World race bikes and some bikes that could be modified into racing bikes. So the overall motorcycle models must be down significantly I’m guessing.

Last edited:

There was a 1998 sbk game too from them. 😉
If i remember, they made them from 98 to 2001.

Edit: I'd be tempted somewhat for r5, for new tracks.
Also, I'd prefer the added feedback of handling, grip etc from visual reactions and sounds, more than the trigger effects.
Throttle and brake shouldn't really be affected, plus it is distracting, and goes against smooth leverage of the triggers.

But i hope they kept the vibrations effects, matching revs, and even of other bikes passing by near, pretty cool effect for immersion.

I noticed in ride4, the tuck-in stops the bike from lifting the rear on braking, which seems silly.
Maybe your centre of gravity is lower, which helps stability, but you also have more weight forward, i dont know..
Always some silly things like that in their games.

Also, be tempted if sounds of bikes are better for most bikes, as some in r4 are still weak.

Last edited:
Back