Ridiculously overpriced used cars

First time I've seen a 22B for sale in Australia and tbh the price is around what I would of expected, but it's still crazy for a Subaru.
Screenshot_2018-03-12-11-01-06.png

Sure, it might be unmolested and in good condition. However, it costs comparable to a Porsche 911 GT3 and has 81,000km on it. No way anybody sane would fall for that price.
This is AUD a GT3 is over double this price here.

This is around the same price as a R34 GT-R Vspec II Nur with similar Km's

This is AUD a GT3 is over double this price here.

This is around the same price as a R34 GT-R Vspec II Nur with similar Km's

I just did a quick currency exchange check. In Canada, a new 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 costs about $160,000 CAD. Then I went and checked the Canadian to Australian dollar exchange rate right now, and it was about 1-1. So unless there's some crazy import costs or taxes than I'm unaware of, I not sure how it could be double the price.

I just did a quick currency exchange check. In Canada, a new 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 costs about $160,000 CAD. Then I went and checked the Canadian to Australian dollar exchange rate right now, and it was about 1-1. So unless there's some crazy import costs or taxes than I'm unaware of, I not sure how it could be double the price.
Not every country gets to piggy back off Americas excessive trading volume.

If I remember years ago, an Aussie member explained to me it's an import tax that drives up the cost making several higher end cars cost double elsewhere.

Here's an article I just googled regarding a Huayra recently seen in Australia that would cost well over $2 million once fees were factored in. It references the Roadster at $3.62 million, and likely to cost over $5 million for an owner in the country.
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/australia-s-most-expensive-new-car-lands-in-melbourne-117491
Priced from £990,000 ($1.76m) in the UK, the supercar is likely to sit well north of $2 million once Australia's luxury car tax, GST and import duties are factored in.

If that's not enough, the more exclusive Huayra roadster brings 562kW of power for an eye-watering €2,280,000 ($3.62m), which could push its price beyond $5 million with luxury car tax added.

And we have our own bespoke requirments for new cars to be sold here which costs brands alot that is hard to get the costs back as we are such small population.

Basically our government ****s Us.

First time I've seen a 22B for sale in Australia and tbh the price is around what I would of expected, but it's still crazy for a Subaru

170k AUD is a bit much. They're about an 80-100k AUD car in auction.

This exact car was £22k three years ago. I mean I think it looks gorgeous and it’s one of the few 90s/early 00s Japanese Cars I want to own (I don’t like the early FDs) but you can get a lot for £45K.

I wouldn't call that terrible. 1504s Spirit Rs were produced, and with around 700 or so being adorned in Titanium Grey, plus about 1000 or so of Spirit Rs being Type As which that one is, with 13k miles, it's about right considering the Japanese performance car boom at the moment.

Look, I get very few were sold in America and this example is in showroom condition, but $64k, really? Soon enough we'll be seeing these go for over $100k at this rate.
Only 500 of them were made, it's a body style that was only available for a single year (the Type R arrived stateside in '97, and they were facelifted in '98), and it only has 1200 miles on the clock. It may sound ridiculous that a Honda is going for that much cash, but that's pretty goddamn rare for just about any car.

If it was any of the other over-priced Type Rs I keep seeing, you may have had a point there.

I honestly find it humorous to see an Integra reach these prices. I know why it is, but it's still just plain funny to me. :lol:

A 1997 Acura Integra Type R is up for sale at a whopping $63,800. Look, I get very few were sold in America and this example is in showroom condition, but $64k, really? Soon enough we'll be seeing these go for over $100k at this rate.

cf7419b6-1997-acura-integra-r-auction-1.png

b63fa316-1997-acura-integra-r-auction-2.png

e7235533-1997-acura-integra-r-auction-4.png

499fc4bd-1997-acura-integra-r-auction-3.png

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/1997-acura-integra-type-r-1200-miles-sells-astonishing-63800/

Wasn't offered for that much but rather 2 bidders fought it out until the hammer dropped at nearly $64k. For something that rare with that few miles, I think the price is pretty accurate.

Volkswagen Type 2 T1s. Specifically the 21 or 23 window models or more commonly known as the "Sambas".
Yes, they are rarer than standard buses but they shouldn't be worth $100,000.00 - $300,000.00.
This 1960 example sold for $207,200.00:
8dd7f6319992e2403720fa66e3d5b1d1e3c77ece.jpg
d082d8c019629749f58881be89a0c00dcd084b5d.jpg
fc2505cdb1d81e7bfb8441ca1986b754c8a9558b.jpg

Buses that are even piles of crap are waaayy too much!
This '62 one was listed for $39,500!!
00N0N_4OHENskyV0U_600x450-1.jpg

Only 500 of them were made, it's a body style that was only available for a single year (the Type R arrived stateside in '97, and they were facelifted in '98), and it only has 1200 miles on the clock. It may sound ridiculous that a Honda is going for that much cash, but that's pretty goddamn rare for just about any car.

I thought the story was something like 70% of the original American allocation was stolen, hence the rarity?

If it was any of the other over-priced Type Rs I keep seeing, you may have had a point there.
But it's an overweight non JDM DC2R you have to have rocks in your head to buy that.

In Australia, Showroom condition JDM DC2Rs will go for around 30kAUD, good condition low km examples can be as low as 18kAUD.

Once these hit Americas 25 year limit they will shoot up in value as well,

But it's an overweight non JDM DC2R you have to have rocks in your head to buy that.

In Australia, Showroom condition JDM DC2Rs will go for around 30kAUD, good condition low km examples can be as low as 18kAUD.

Once these hit Americas 25 year limit they will shoot up in value as well,

JDM and USDM are entirely different beasts... market allocation will be a massive part of value. Look at FDs and Supras, even.

JDM ITRs Stateside go for about $15-20k+ USD as it is, similar to DC5Rs.

SVX
JDM ITRs Stateside go for about $15-20k+ USD as it is, similar to DC5Rs.

Yeah no, JDM Integras that are not 25 years old are illegal in the US(unless it's a race car), they only get that overweight Acura Version with less power.

Yeah no, JDM Integras that are not 25 years old are illegal in the US(unless it's a race car), they only get that overweight Acura Version with less power.

I never said legal ITRs. ;)

Has this been posted?

£75,000 for this Lada.

4F54C36400000578-6090363-image-a-15_1535023660292.jpg

Click here!
I know Dakar is a prestigious race and all, but asking that much for a car that simply participated and has no other noteworthy things about it is absurd. Especially when it's been left to rot in obscurity for three decades.

I guess they were hoping it'd have "barn find" hype to justify such a silly asking price.

(And after checking, they got £4,600 for it. Which is still too much...)

Last edited:
Back