Ridiculously overpriced used cars

I'm continually astounded by the price of Toyota trucks. Is it crazy outside of California as well? Here are some samples from my local CL:

The whole overlanding thing has exploded like crazy. I guess I'm not saying they are overpriced (because it's obvious that they are finding buyers) but I'm just amazed at how quickly and how drastically these old 'yotas have gone up in value. The amount of accessories targeted to overlanders (and preppers & "operators", a Venn diagram with a large amount of overlap) is truly stunning, and the general sense I get is that if you aren't overlanding in a Toyota, you are doing it wrong. A friend of mine down in Texas used to run a drift shop, but now runs a specialty Toyota off road shop because it was so incredibly lucrative. When Americans obsess with something, they really, really obsess.

Yes, Toyota 4x4 prices have always been pretty crazy, especially restored/upgraded ones, though those seem to be somewhat of an outlier in how overpriced they are. There was a tripled locked LC80 listed locally for in the high $thousands, so that one dealer that you posted is just jacking it up like crazy, even factoring the relatively low mileage, 1 owner history.

"Yo what's the retail on one of those?"

"More than you can afford, Pal. Toyota"

VaCzigO.jpg

sc9p8ds.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Given the current market, $65,000 may not be a bad price for an all-stock, manual Turbo Mk. IV. That Ferrari also isn't the norm for the 360 market either, at nearly 50,000 miles.

Right. It's just that I saw them both posted on my local craigslist and was amused. Pretty remarkable considering that in 2000, when somebody paid $140,000+ (probably) for that exact Ferrari, the Supra was probably being changed hands for something like $20k-30k. Maybe less. I remember a friend of a friend paying (I think) $14k for an automatic Supra TT back around 2005. It probably had more miles than this, but even that car is probably $40k by now.

I know that MK3 Supras are becoming increasingly rare, especially Turbos, but $41K for a 1991 Turbo is absolutely insane. What's even more ridiculous about this listing is that the seller didn't even bother to list the mileage nor a VIN number. I'm just glad I got my '87 before prices really do become this high.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45157913#
1088843497.jpg
Nice! You've got the best of both worlds. You can enjoy a well desired collector car and if or when you decide you don't want it any more, it will be a great money maker for you!

I was browsing Craigslist for early 1990's cars and I came across two for the same price ($19,995):

1993 Volkswagen Transporter T4 Eurovan Westfalia
https://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/d/madison-1993-vw-volkswagen-eurovan/6786583069.html
132k miles
00W0W_dd2UQ35Yx2J_600x450.jpg
00P0P_gzpYAauAZBO_600x450.jpg
00l0l_bSSd7Duh3Kw_600x450.jpg

1991 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/d/villa-park-1991-rolls-royce-silver-spur/6771012879.html
48K miles
00H0H_bC7xhqO22oa_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_1ubxLTfLlQ7_1200x900.jpg
00H0H_dMNsRFMUUBU_1200x900.jpg

I don't understand. Why are T4 Transporters so pricey? They're not that rare. I still see them once in a while. For $19995, I'd go for the Rolls any day. Beautiful car and great luxury for sure.

EDIT: Oh dammit! I got excited before reading the whole thing, it's to just draw out attention to their dealership; not to sell the thing.
Sure, but the initial price the dealer paid for it was bad anyways, at $121,000. But if they bought it to draw in customers to the dealer, then the price paid probably didn't reflect the true value of the car.

RHD MK4 Supras are soo much cheaper then the ones in the states.

Can get a RZ in Australia for around 30k USD, the price will probably go down once the US can tap into that, but make it raise for everyone else.

RHD MK4 Supras are soo much cheaper then the ones in the states.

Can get a RZ in Australia for around 30k USD, the price will probably go down once the US can tap into that, but make it raise for everyone else.

Gah, I'm waiting for EK9Rs and DC2Rs to be eligible! The former isn't even available, and the latter are ludicrously overpriced here.

It's a real shame that Acura brought so few DC2Rs to the USA. I get that they wanted to create an exclusive product, but it gets to me. Even if you did have the foresight (or just the desire & money) to pick one up either when they were new or when they were cheaper and used, their rarity kind of spoils the fun of ownership. If it felt more like a disposable item, one would guess the owner would actually use it and enjoy it more. Of course many DC2Rs were used as intended (probably by those with desire but not much foresight!), which is part of the reason why the nice ones command such crazy prices. I think that's why I've come to love base model cars, like my 2.5 Boxster. It's not really special, it's just good and I can replace it pretty easily if I wanted/needed. That takes the burden and anxiety out of owning one (just kidding, I'm constantly anxious with this car, but that's because it keeps breaking). If I had a USDM DC2R, I would be afraid to drive it anywhere because of fear of something happening to it and not being able to replace it. A USDM Integra LS cloned to be exactly like a DC2R would be the whole driving experience, but no anxiety! #basemodellove

Last edited:
Which is funny because they are rubbish compared to the JDM DC2R Integras, which are much cheaper here.

Mind you we have pretty much the same Integras you got with our Aus Delivered ones but they are badged as Honda's, They don't fetch for as much as the JDM ones but the price difference isn't that big.

That makes no sense. Australian dealers will see how much they're going overseas and start rising prices - imports will be more expensive because Japanese sellers will know what people are willing to pay now that they're legal (re: ludicrous amounts) and inflate their prices. Much the same with R32s- a $15k NZD car now $30-40k NZD.

And your constant remarks about how rubbish the USDM ITRs were continues to be moot. It's all they got, and was the hottest model for the Integra. It would be like saying E36s are a waste of time there because they weren't Euro spec engines. I've already mentioned previously that JDM ITRs (both DC2s and DC5s) and EK9s have popped up in America (illegally of course) and the prices they demand. They won't remain cheap like you continue to say once they become 25 years old, with Australian importers looking to grab onto your own 25 year regulation headwind, they'll be buying their own DC2s, and having to fight American dealers for them. That only spells bad news for what cheap DC2s in Australia are left.

SVX
That makes no sense. Australian dealers will see how much they're going overseas and start rising prices - imports will be more expensive because Japanese sellers will know what people are willing to pay now that they're legal (re: ludicrous amounts) and inflate their prices. Much the same with R32s- a $15k NZD car now $30-40k NZD.

And your constant remarks about how rubbish the USDM ITRs were continues to be moot. It's all they got, and was the hottest model for the Integra. It would be like saying E36s are a waste of time there because they weren't Euro spec engines. I've already mentioned previously that JDM ITRs (both DC2s and DC5s) and EK9s have popped up in America (illegally of course) and the prices they demand. They won't remain cheap like you continue to say once they become 25 years old, with Australian importers looking to grab onto your own 25 year regulation headwind, they'll be buying their own DC2s, and having to fight American dealers for them. That only spells bad news for what cheap DC2s in Australia are left.
I never said they will remain cheap here, I even said the Supra price here will likely rise as Americans get them, which is likely since they are soo much cheaper, but with them likely heading to the US it would put downward pressure on prices there which are really high.

The point I'm making on the USDM ITRs is the surpiror option will become available at a lower price then what they have which will likely put massive downward pressure on USDM ITRs or have the JDM ones rise massively to exceed the US ones as they get imported there.

Australia being a Hot dry country is perfect for getting cars from as there is unlikely to be rust issues as well, a massive issue for getting cars from Europe.

Last edited:
I never said they will remain cheap here, I even said the Supra price here will likely rise as Americans get them, which is likely since they are soo much cheaper, but with them likely heading to the US it would put downward pressure on prices there which are really high.

If you did, you weren't exactly the clearest, considering you had just made a point about Australian Supra prices.

Can get a RZ in Australia for around 30k USD, the price will probably go down once the US can tap into that

The point I'm making on the USDM ITRs is the surpiror option will become available at a lower price then what they have which will likely put massive downward pressure on USDM ITRs or have the JDM ones rise massively to exceed the US ones as they get imported there.

Latter, most definitely. 'superior' or not, the USDM ITRs are far more exclusive - and that'll drive up the price more than anything.

Australia being a Hot dry country is perfect for getting cars from as there is unlikely to be rust issues as well, a massive issue for getting cars from Europe.

Once you get past the cracked dashes and faded 90s single stage paint, definitely.

SVX
If you did, you weren't exactly the clearest, considering you had just made a point about Australian Supra prices.

Latter, most definitely. 'superior' or not, the USDM ITRs are far more exclusive - and that'll drive up the price more than anything.

Once you get past the cracked dashes and faded 90s single stage paint, definitely.
Better then rotted Chassis, which is a write off, it's unlikely the rubbish that's here will be touched unless it's for a resto mod though. But your not going to see Twin turbo Supras and R34s, and JDM DC2R with cracked dashes they will likely all be garaged or crashed. It's the R33 GTS etc that are in a total crap pile here.

I know the Supra has become a classic, so it's no wonder that its gaining value. However, I think $500,000 is a bit excessive. :lol:
https://jalopnik.com/the-1994-toyota-supra-that-sold-for-121-000-on-bring-a-1831800363

ql2n896qhsdlnq0jtiot.png

EDIT: Oh dammit! I got excited before reading the whole thing, it's to just draw out attention to their dealership; not to sell the thing.
I can think of many different cars and specifically a Toyota that I'd rather spend $500,000 on.
7629060_wide_dba04fbe-1846-4913-8e88-559979eaab5f_.jpeg
14db988b169e4d6397e289c5c1c0425a9c4b418c.jpg
23967f044bf3751d3ead935164f441946104a441.jpg
-and-the-interior-is-a-gem-of-1960s-japanese-design-from-the-wooden-steering-wheel-and-gear-selector-to-the-leather-lined-doors.jpg

This 1967 Toyota 2000GT sold for $511,000 last year. Only 351 2000GTs were built. Definitely a lot more rarer than a 2JZ powered Supra.

Can't help but find MK7 Golf Rs (or Golf Rs in general) to be rather expensive used. Majority of the ones I find in fairly decent mileage and age are around $30k or more. Rough high mileage or modified ones are still in the mid to low $20k range.

Back