Ridiculously overpriced used cars

Love this.

xDNYJ2l.jpg

Guy wants to trade his salvage-title, nearly 100k mile Subaru Forester for a BMW 3.0 CSL (~$130k, depending on condition).....or a very large quantity (I presume) of weed.
If his knowledge of drugs is as good as his knowledge of cars, he'd probably end up trading it for a 5 pound bag of oregano. :lol:

I especially like the part about how he just happens to have a bunch of STi parts just laying around but won't include them unless you really make it worth his while.

I've heard that the value of older SUVs is going up, but that's just plain ridiculous. :crazy:

I cannot think of any reason why a Bronco of this vintage and look, even with said explosion in prices for those types of vehicles, go for that much in a million years. I could maybe see an ICON customized one - but even then, that's probably a little north of 100 grand, absolutely less.

'negotiable' :lol:

Classic Broncos are the tide that raises all boats. Bronco IIs and OJ Broncos have started going up pretty dramatically in the past couple of years as well.

1st and 2nd-gen SUVs are going to be the 60s Muscle cars of the '00s or air-cooled 911s of the '10s. If that Bronco does sell at that price, I don't think I have the capacity to be amazed. I think THE vehicle with the most room to grow in this segment is the XJ Jeep Cherokee. You can still get these for peanuts in good condition, but as they are one of the purest expressions of capable SUV, and they've been so thoroughly molested, the good ones are going to skyrocket methinks.

1st and 2nd-gen SUVs are going to be the 60s Muscle cars of the '00s or air-cooled 911s of the '10s. If that Bronco does sell at that price, I don't think I have the capacity to be amazed. I think THE vehicle with the most room to grow in this segment is the XJ Jeep Cherokee. You can still get these for peanuts in good condition, but as they are one of the purest expressions of capable SUV, and they've been so thoroughly molested, the good ones are going to skyrocket methinks.

That seems like a candidate for the undervalued car thread. [/shameless plug for my thread]

Here's a thread appropriate car. Anyone paying nearly $200,000 for a non-original, custom "R34 GT-R" needs to donate the rest of their money. I've read these Skyline wagons are usually Stageas underneath, but this car is titled as a 1975 vehicle (I'm curious what it could be; the VIN seems incomplete), so congrats to whoever dumps money on a look-a-like. I think there's some R32-based, R34 conversions out there they can dump $50,000 on next for a coupe.
https://www.cncexotics.com/details-2002-nissan-gtr_custom-used-wgnc34002158.html
used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-1-1024.jpg

used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-6-1024.jpg

used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-12-1024.jpg

RHD Nissan Custom GTR Wagon

Car is white with a blue protective/decorative wrap.

This is a CUSTOM BUILT CAR. NOT ORIGINAL/GENUINE (started from and titled as a 1975 Niassna and built from the ground up). We are not selling or claiming this car to be original. Please call with any concerns. Thank you!

Up front, the R34 fascia shows proudly on the nose of the wagon, a full Masa Motorsport bodykit, R34 GT-R drivetrain underneath this wagon, which includes the legendary ATTESA all-wheel-drive system and Nissan's twin-turbocharged 2.6-liter engine. Making Over 450hp. Engine: 02 R34 v-spec GT-R RB26dett with 20k miles, R34 GT-R twin turbos with 15 psi, transmission: R33 GT-R v-spec 5 speeds with all brand new seals & twin plates flywheel, HKS pulley, HKS blow off valve, wastegate, greddy strut bar, NISMO fuel injectors, 800cc Greddy fuel rail, Greddy intake manifold, HKS intake kit, tanabe coilover suspension, greddy exhaust, greddy intercooler, blitz radiator, oil catch can, R33 Gt-R seats, R33 brakes, stagea kouki taillights. R34 GT-R factory Xenon headlights, bride rear seats, Nardi steering wheel, nismo shift knob, 19" Nismo Rays forged LMGT4 wheels (chassis 139k KM = 80k miles) CA registered with smog exemption. Car was imported to us more than 25 years ago.
I won't lie, from the description, someone clearly invested a lot of time and money to make this look like a legitimate R34 wagon. But at the end of the day, it's not. It's a 45-year old car underneath & it sets an outlook that if someone is willing to pay $170,000 for a R34-conversion car, then maybe importers can attempt to ask $200-$250,000 for a legitimate R34 GT-R. As far as I've seen, mint-condition, top-of-the line V-Spec IIs are already trading hands at $200,000 when converted to US dollars. But I damn sure don't expect US importers here to be bringing those examples over when the 25-year rule is up.

Considering Stageas are cheap as dirt I don't understand why someone would use a 1975 chassis to build one, unless it's their way of getting around the 25 year rule.

@McLaren 200k USD for Vspec 2 is not worth it, you can get N1s for that money(unless your talking about untouched models or something).

Since Australian currency is going to crap at current there is probably big bargains to be had for Americans if they buy now here.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...-5227927?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5227927

Assuming no Haggling: $140k AUD = $94936 USD

The N1 that has been for sale for atleast 8 months still hasn't sold at $240k AUD($162747 USD)
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...-6043806?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6043806

Last edited:
Considering Stageas are cheap as dirt I don't understand why someone would use a 1975 chassis to build one, unless it's their way of getting around the 25 year rule.

@McLaren 200k USD for Vspec 2 is not worth it, you can get N1s for that money(unless your talking about untouched models or something).
Yeah, the models I'm referring to are either bone-stock or have genuine Nismo parts added which won't affect any values, and low miles. I've seen a V-Spec II was upgraded to a Nismo R-Tune with all documentation go for a little more at $240,000.

I wouldn't even pay that much for a real, custom R34 GT-R. Let alone for a modified Nissan Stagea with a Skyline R34 front-end swap.

Unpopular opinion time; the normal Stagea front end looks better than the R34 one.

And now I kinda want to see someone put a Stagea front on an R34. :lol:

To be fair, a Civic of that generation that hasn't been covered in rust patches, large dents or badly fitted plastic body kit parts is a pretty rare thing nowadays. And hey, only five years away from historical vehicle status! :dopey:
True, but half a hundred grand? That's EK Type R money.

I was joking

I wouldn't have a problem paying $10-12k for it, given its condition and likelihood that it'll last probably another 20 years if maintained properly. But more than double its MSRP in 2000? Yeah, nah.

Here's a thread appropriate car. Anyone paying nearly $200,000 for a non-original, custom "R34 GT-R" needs to donate the rest of their money. I've read these Skyline wagons are usually Stageas underneath, but this car is titled as a 1975 vehicle (I'm curious what it could be; the VIN seems incomplete), so congrats to whoever dumps money on a look-a-like. I think there's some R32-based, R34 conversions out there they can dump $50,000 on next for a coupe.
https://www.cncexotics.com/details-2002-nissan-gtr_custom-used-wgnc34002158.html
used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-1-1024.jpg

used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-6-1024.jpg

used-2002-nissan-gtr_custom--8431-19039533-12-1024.jpg

I won't lie, from the description, someone clearly invested a lot of time and money to make this look like a legitimate R34 wagon. But at the end of the day, it's not. It's a 45-year old car underneath & it sets an outlook that if someone is willing to pay $170,000 for a R34-conversion car, then maybe importers can attempt to ask $200-$250,000 for a legitimate R34 GT-R. As far as I've seen, mint-condition, top-of-the line V-Spec IIs are already trading hands at $200,000 when converted to US dollars. But I damn sure don't expect US importers here to be bringing those examples over when the 25-year rule is up.

1975? :odd: I'm tempted to say that's fraudulent. It's a unibody car...how can all of the doors/windshield, etc from a Stagea fit? I think they've nicked the VIN off a 1975 Datsun and attached it to a genuine Stagea to try to get around importation rules. Either that or is a ladder frame under the Stagea unibody? Neither scenario seems particularly appealing from an ownership perspective...Also 90% sure that blue is photoshopped. Strangely, when I quoted your post, the pictures were exactly the same but the car was white...not sure if its some URL issue or not, but looking back it definitely doesn't look genuinely blue.

edit: Just realized this is an ancient post. Whoops.

Last edited:
1975? :odd: I'm tempted to say that's fraudulent. It's a unibody car...how can all of the doors/windshield, etc from a Stagea fit? I think they've nicked the VIN off a 1975 Datsun and attached it to a genuine Stagea to try to get around importation rules. Either that or is a ladder frame under the Stagea unibody? Neither scenario seems particularly appealing from an ownership perspective...Also 90% sure that blue is photoshopped. Strangely, when I quoted your post, the pictures were exactly the same but the car was white...not sure if its some URL issue or not, but looking back it definitely doesn't look genuinely blue.

edit: Just realized this is an ancient post. Whoops.
It's not super ancient, so I think it's alright.

That is really weird though. The front plate disappears in my pictures as well.

This is the new norm. These cars are old enough now that the people who wanted them have money now to get one; and they don't give a crap about the typical parade of 60s Camaros and Mustangs and Road Runners that previously had been flooding auctions of the last two decades; and with the exception of some whose prices are extremely depressed right now due to import limitations (Evo IV-VI, R34s), a glut of imported models won't lower the prices of ones sold here to begin with.

It's also why NSXs and Supras and 240SX have been so expensive for years, and why Fox bodies and 3rd Gen Camaros can easily bring five digits when just a few years ago they were as worthless as anything else domestic manufacturers made at the time. There are cars that will be spared from this (I don't think NA/NB Miatas will get this sort of attention, nevermind things like the breadvan Civic or 986/996; and I think C5s are another decade away from appreciating because of how many there are of them and C6s), but if there is a sporty fun car from the 80s/90s you wanted regardless of country, now is the time to get one before it gets priced out of the market by people who choose to go after those because they can no longer afford to get an RSX or EK Civic. Some of them have already started their ascent (the aforementioned F-Bodies and Fox Bodies, Porsche 944s, and even early C4s).

Last edited:
That Civic Si sold for about twice as much as it did in 2000. I would probably put an upper bound at $30,000 if I really wanted a Civic Si from that generation, but there are so many other things to do with that money.

Like @Tornado said, we may think the car is overpriced but people are actually willing to pay that kind of money now. Time keeps moving. Cars only keep aging and become rarer. And the more popular it is, the faster they’ll eventually appreciate and become more collectible.

Last edited:
This is the new norm. These cars are old enough now that the people who wanted them have money now to get one; and they don't give a crap about the typical parade of 60s Camaros and Mustangs and Road Runners that previously had been flooding auctions of the last two decades; and with the exception of some whose prices are extremely depressed right now due to import limitations (Evo IV-VI, R34s), a glut of imported models won't lower the prices of ones sold here to begin with.

It's also why NSXs and Supras and 240SX have been so expensive for years, and why Fox bodies and 3rd Gen Camaros can easily bring five digits when just a few years ago they were as worthless as anything else domestic manufacturers made at the time. There are cars that will be spared from this (I don't think NA/NB Miatas will get this sort of attention, nevermind things like the breadvan Civic or 986/996; and I think C5s are another decade away from appreciating because of how many there are of them and C6s), but if there is a sporty fun car from the 80s/90s you wanted regardless of country, now is the time to get one before it gets priced out of the market by people who choose to go after those because they can no longer afford to get an RSX or EK Civic. Some of them have already started their ascent (the aforementioned F-Bodies and Fox Bodies, Porsche 944s, and even early C4s).

Good 986s and 996s seemed to have found a floor at about $10k and $20k, respectively. Beat and high mileage cars easily fall below these numbers, but as their numbers dwindle, I think both are going to start rising, though probably not very fast. I bought my 986 in 2016 with 40k miles for $11k. I could probably get close to that selling it now, after 4 years and 20k miles. A low mileage, high-spec 996 (such as a late C4S, 6M) I think could get close to $40k though it might sit a while looking for a buyer. The 996 TTs are a damn bargain right now. There's one for sale near me for $27k - though high mileage.

Back