Ridiculously overpriced used cars

Not sure how it is relative to Aus, but the US has been encountering the same issue. I've noticed the supply of cars on craigslist has dropped significantly since the beginning of the year.

The number of cars on craigslist dropped significantly when they started asking $5 to put an ad in the cars/trucks section. Amazing how many people asking $20,000 for a car won't spend $5 on an ad. You find a lot of cars and trucks in the trade/parts/and atv/utv/snow categories. It's pretty pathetic.

The number of cars on craigslist dropped significantly when they started asking $5 to put an ad in the cars/trucks section. Amazing how many people asking $20,000 for a car won't spend $5 on an ad. You find a lot of cars and trucks in the trade/parts/and atv/utv/snow categories. It's pretty pathetic.

I don't mind this. If a seller won't spend $5 to put their ad up, I probably don't want to buy a car from them. It also trimmed down a lot of fraudulent ads and duplicate ads. I feel like the total volume of vehicles for sale, at least in my area, didn't decrease from this change. It decreased dramatically after covid though.

I've found most vehicle listings in general have moved to Facebook Marketplace instead of craigslist. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, anything. Being integrated with something many people use several times per day, it's made it easier to both list and search for many.

I can only try to guess that there's something about the M-Spec trim that commands that much more money or there's something about it being in Australia (maybe the country has a high-importation fee/tax & they want to recuperate some of it?).

I will say with it being V-Spec Performance, maybe there is something about that specific car to ask so much. They seem to have a strong history with some really infamous Skylines; 400Rs, couple Mine's cars, a Midnight Purple Z-Tune.

We do have some pretty significant import taxes, most specifically we pay tax on a tax at one stage of the process.
I did a quick calculation on how much it would cost to import a car valued at $400,000 AUD into Australia. The total cost once the car is landed in Aus & complied ready to be registered is $477,000. So that probably shows the costs associated with our import process. That being said, I have no idea how long this car has been in the country, it could be a fresh import or it could have been in the country for a while.

I can only assume that the 1/285 status of that car and the extremely low mileage is the reason for its huge price tag. The lack of modifications probably contributes to that as well.

I would be interested to see how V-Spec Performance priced their MNP III Z-Tune. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see it up around the $750,000 mark. That car lives in a vacuum box and only ever comes out to be cleaned or for the occasional car show. On top of that, if its not the only MNP Z-Tune, its 1 of 2 (can't remember off the top of my head) so I'm sure that inflates the price even more.

I would be interested to see how V-Spec Performance priced their MNP III Z-Tune. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see it up around the $750,000 mark. That car lives in a vacuum box and only ever comes out to be cleaned or for the occasional car show. On top of that, if its not the only MNP Z-Tune, its 1 of 2 (can't remember off the top of my head) so I'm sure that inflates the price even more.
It's been a few years, but I believe there was a debate over whether or not the MNP Z-Tune was done afterwards or was officially commissioned by Nismo. There was some discussion that maybe there were 2 MNP examples then, 1 of each.

Not that I have any belief it would matter. The cars are so rarely up for sale, they're like F1s & GTOs in that they'll sell for whatever the market paid for the last one + some additional appreciation in value for the time since the last sale. All 20 have to be easy half-million dollars by now, last one I saw shared reportedly sold for $450,000+ & that was 4-5 years ago. So yeah, $600-$700K for a MNP regardless of authenticity probably in the ball park of what to expect.

It's been a few years, but I believe there was a debate over whether or not the MNP Z-Tune was done afterwards or was officially commissioned by Nismo. There was some discussion that maybe there were 2 MNP examples then, 1 of each.
Just had a look at the GTR registry. Of the 18 chassis, they have records of two painted MNP III. Based on their description, the base car for chassis number 10 was originally MNP III. The original owner had to beg Nismo for about a year not to repaint the car Silver like every other Z-tune. Chassis 10 is likely in Japan currently, although the last time it was listed for sale was back in 2010 when the original owner sold it.

The car that V-Spec performance owns is chassis 15. There is no real story behind this car other than that it was resprayed MNP III by Nismo Omori which makes it pretty official.

There are some chassis which are unaccounted for, but I doubt any of those have been resprayed, otherwise they would've drawn attention to themselves.

A more abstract question, but I wonder what the long term outlook at classic car values is going to be - especially the more vintage eras. In 20 years are people still going to really want 50s & 60s racing cars, for instance? Who? The Baby Boomer generation has an obvious sentimental attachment to the cars of their youth and I question if the values will be sustained after they've passed. Of course stuff like V12 Ferraris will remain valuable but there's a lot of obscure stuff from that time period that I find it hard to believe anyone from the Gen X or Millennial cohort will care enough about to pay big dollars for. Will an R34 GTR ever become more valuable than a Ferrari 250 series? Maybe not. More than something like a 330 GTC? I think it's quite possible.

A more abstract question, but I wonder what the long term outlook at classic car values is going to be - especially the more vintage eras. In 20 years are people still going to really want 50s & 60s racing cars, for instance? Who? The Baby Boomer generation has an obvious sentimental attachment to the cars of their youth and I question if the values will be sustained after they've passed. Of course stuff like V12 Ferraris will remain valuable but there's a lot of obscure stuff from that time period that I find it hard to believe anyone from the Gen X or Millennial cohort will care enough about to pay big dollars for. Will an R34 GTR ever become more valuable than a Ferrari 250 series? Maybe not. More than something like a 330 GTC? I think it's quite possible.

Once an asset like a classic car has gained value its only ever going to increase, in the medium to long term at least. They're seen as blue chip investments and aren't just owned/bought by true enthusiasts any more. They're like fine art. We're talking about Ferrari 250's, Mclaren F1's, Porsche 917s, vintage Bugattis etc, but that also filters down to other cars by those brands. The less they make the more valuable they are. Simple supply and demand. A racing heritage also adds to a cars value. Once that value is established it's unlikely to diminish.

The Boomer generation might be in the decline, but i doubt it will effect the cars of their era. There are few Silent Generation (1928-1954 - pre-Boomers) around yet values for vintage cars (as in the European pre-war meaning or the phrase) haven't taken a dive. A type 35 Bugatti is more valuable now then it ever was.

They only made around 700 Ferrari GTC's. They made about 12,000 Nissan R34 GT-Rs. They'll never overtake a 330 GTC in value as there's simply too many available. For every one GTC there's 17 R34 GT-Rs and Ferrari 330 are already an established investment.

Once an asset like a classic car has gained value its only ever going to increase, in the medium to long term at least. They're seen as blue chip investments and aren't just owned/bought by true enthusiasts any more.

That is definitely the assumption...

They're like fine art. We're talking about Ferrari 250's, Mclaren F1's, Porsche 917s, vintage Bugattis etc, but that also filters down to other cars by those brands. The less they make the more valuable they are. Simple supply and demand. A racing heritage also adds to a cars value. Once that value is established it's unlikely to diminish.

I understand the argument for the unrelenting appreciation - I question it. Part of the reason I question it is that cars are NOT like fine art. They take up a lot of space and need an enormous amount of care in order to maintain their value. Not only that, but their interest seems to be limited to a smaller (and shrinking) demographic compared to art. I just don't see classic cars as the sort of slam dunk investment that they are consistently given to be. Again, I think stuff like a Bugatti Type 35 or Porsche 917 or Ferrari 250 GTO will continue to appreciate. It's the shear volume of other stuff that I question. The fundamental investment value of a hard asset has to be underpinned by some intrinsic desire to own it - in some cases the desire to own it could be fairly abstract. Saying you own one of the 39 250 GTOs will always be a desirable position. But a Bizzarrini GT 5300?

For the record, 330 GTCs are down about 35% in 2020.

"The buyers for these cars have been the baby boomers. They are 60 to 75 years old, and guess what? They are leaving the market in droves. When you're 75 years old, you're not thinking about your first Ferrari. You're thinking about your retirement fund, your grandkids, you were thinking about going on a cruise but you can't do that anymore."

"If you want to sell it, it's worth less, it's that simple. It doesn't matter if it's a Dino or a Daytona Spyder or a Testarossa. And I'm speaking Ferraris, but the same applies to a Miura or a Gullwing. Gullwings were in the high $1 million range and now they've dipped below $1 million, they're 30 to 35 percent off."

"The rich get richer and the poor get kids. We have a client that's worth a lot of money, he's owned a lot of cars. He three or four months ago called and said he wanted to buy one of the best of the best and gave me a list of cars that includes a [Ferrari] 250 Testa Rossa, etc. And his theory was, for the sake of the number, a 250 TR was $40 million and the market's off by 30 percent, today they should be $25 million. Well, that's a nice theory and maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I don't know. But the cold, hard reality is, I made the calls and if you're [a wealthy collector], you don't need the money. So, maybe it is off, but you don't care, it's not for sale. The top end will be relatively unaffected because the guys who own 250 GTOs and 250 TRs, they have enough money to do whatever the **** they want. They don't need to sell."

"I got a call from a guy owns a [Ferrari] 512 BB, he owns a restaurant. You can see what his financial situation is. Make a long story short, he wants $329,000 net in his pocket. Dude, you missed the party. It's not worth $329,00 anymore. Now it's worth, maybe, maybe, maybe if you're lucky, $229,000. So basically, we're getting endless calls from baby boomers who want to sell. The biggest problem is getting them in the real ****ing world on pricing. About 90 percent of them are in fantasy land. Everybody else's car has dropped in value, but theirs is worth more."

I should also mention, pending inheritance...the generations following the boomers just don't have the same kind of money to support these values - they're too busy paying incredibly high costs for housing and education.

If sports cars go full electric, I think there may be an increase in value of the ICE models. Imagine if Porsche went full electric.

I think the market for the millions first generation Camaros and similar cars that cross the auction block every year is going to collapse if for no other reason than people snapping up cars who are young don't hold the value attachment in them. An endless parade of $50,000 Camaros or Challengers doesn't seem sustainable in the face of the rising tide of stuff like Fox Bodies and Integras.

I think the market for the millions first generation Camaros and similar cars that cross the auction block every year is going to collapse if for no other reason than people snapping up cars who are young don't hold the value attachment in them. An endless parade of $50,000 Camaros or Challengers doesn't seem sustainable in the face of the rising tide of stuff like Fox Bodies and Integras.

The very best of them will remain valuable...the Yenko Camaros and Boss Mustangs...but yeah, most of them are going to be worth very little. That bubble seems to already have popped. I don't think very much pre 1960s stuff will even survive outside of museums. I've never seen anyone younger than Boomers driving or showing interest in the vintage stuff unless it's heavily modified like rat rods.

I understand the argument for the unrelenting appreciation - I question it. Part of the reason I question it is that cars are NOT like fine art. They take up a lot of space and need an enormous amount of care in order to maintain their value. Not only that, but their interest seems to be limited to a smaller (and shrinking) demographic compared to art. I just don't see classic cars as the sort of slam dunk investment that they are consistently given to be. Again, I think stuff like a Bugatti Type 35 or Porsche 917 or Ferrari 250 GTO will continue to appreciate. It's the shear volume of other stuff that I question. The fundamental investment value of a hard asset has to be underpinned by some intrinsic desire to own it - in some cases the desire to own it could be fairly abstract. Saying you own one of the 39 250 GTOs will always be a desirable position. But a Bizzarrini GT 5300?

For the record, 330 GTCs are down about 35% in 2020.

I don't think the 'cars are not like fine art because they take more space' holds much water. If you have the money to buy a car for mostly economic reasons, then you have the space to store it or can afford to store it 'off campus' if you like. A lot of fine art is stored this way as well - often loaned out to a museum/gallery, or just a bank vault of some description.

I've been following/tracking car prices for probably 30 or more years now and over that period i can't think of any particular collectable segment that has over that time depreciated over the general depreciation spikes that occur in times of economic down turns. That's not to say that these investments have performed as well as other traditional forms of investment, but on the whole they could be viewed as appreciating assets and i see no reason why that won't continue to be the case.

I'm not sure why you'd pick out the Bizzarrini GT5300 in particular. Aside from the fact it's rare, 130 or so produced, It was a successful racer in it's day and continues to be so in historic racing now. Don't under estimate the Goodwood (or Pebble Beach/Monterey) factor when it comes to raising values. An nice little Miro etching might look great on your bedroom wall, but would you enjoy it as much as racing your Bizzarrini Strada around Laguna Seca and all the pomp of the media coverage and the invites to the balls and concours events that come with it? Besides, Boomers have kids. In the same way that pops' choice of football team is likely to influence Jr's team of choice, the same is likely to be with cars. Just because a generation dies out, doesn't mean their tastes die out too. People still listen to music that was made before they were born.

The numbers of these old cars will keep dwindling. They get wrecked, or catch fire, or blow an engine, or rust. Parts dry up too.

I can see a second life for a lot of these old cars though when self-driving finally comes of age and none of us actually owns a car that we need to use to get anywhere. At that point, the car in your garage is just for fun, when you want to go for a drive.

I could also see it becoming something of a status symbol to show up to party or even having actually driven yourself. Making noise, looking cool, showing off a really interesting piece of history. It'll be super safe too, because very few people who actually make mistakes will be on the road. It'll be nothing but AI driving around, avoiding you like crazy.

I attended a party hosted by an elderly chap some time ago who had a late 50s or early 60s oldsmobile cutlass. Everyone was having a good time when he caught wind that I was into cars. Before I knew it I was in the garage looking at this well preserved ancient automobile. I don't care at all about oldsmobile as a company. And the cutlass doesn't particularly interest me. But I still went for a ride (and there was much interest when it was discovered that it was going out. Several of us piled in). I marveled at the lack of headrests and the seatbelts and the dash and just about everything that makes an old car like that so completely different from today.

It's interesting, it's an occasion. And I think that driving yourself is actually headed that way in the future. You don't look at cars the same way when you don't need it to get to work, or to get your kids to school, or need to put miles on it. Maintenance drops hard, and you just use it on a sunny day when you want to have something a little fun.

From a supply and demand view, I do see some sort of plateau with older cars gaining value based on their generation as the amount of people with the Money and the interest is surely declining, however cars are not a painting they get used as it's main feature and doing that very thing puts it at risk of damage and destruction which can lower supply.

It's a tough one, there is also a trend with newer generations of cars being sold in much higher numbers even for the collectable types which surely can effect things.

I do think there is an inherent inflation in the car collection scene that hasn't ever experienced a bubble burst that may come in the future, I'm always very skeptical when the idea that something always goes up in price is mentioned, as that attracts more people into doing that which is exactly how bubbles burst.

I think in regards to future classics/collectables there may also become an issue with how combustion engined cars are regulated - and the price and availability of fuel as to their values. I'm talking say 20 or 30 years in the future where todays favourites are becoming classics. I imagine there will be some sort of waiver for traditional-fueled cars as they'll be a rarity. I imagine that by then petrol and diesel cars just won't be produced. That will have a knock-on to the availability and costs of pump fuel and we just don't know or could accurately predict how fossil-fueled vehicles will be taxed and regulated by then. This will surely impact values.

Tastes are finicky. I think that for classic car values to remain high or to appreciate in the long term, future generations must be interested in cars as much as past generations have been. I certainly don't think that all interest in automobiles will disappear in future generations, though there's been a lot of talk of how younger folks today are way less interested in cars as a hobby.

I could also see it becoming something of a status symbol to show up to party or even having actually driven yourself. Making noise, looking cool, showing off a really interesting piece of history.

This is an interesting point and can is definitely within the realm of possibility. I can't help but think of the following analogy though, going to the previous personal transportation epoch; how often do you see people showing up to a party by horse drawn carriages now? It would certainly be a conversation starter, but how many people do you know that would genuinely see arriving that way as a sort of status symbol?

Part of the reason I question it is that cars are NOT like fine art. They take up a lot of space and need an enormous amount of care in order to maintain their value.

I can see a world where some old classic cars are treated, enjoyed and admired as sculptures; and are not to driven or used or ever moved under its own power. At that point, the car would be nothing more than another form of fine art.

--

Another reason I think that is fueling the recent jumps in valuation for so many cars is the ton of cheap money and low interest rate environment. People that can and do use cars as investments have money sitting around, and rather than putting it in a bank account and losing to inflation, they are putting investing it into vehicles with hopes that the trend continues and valuations keep going up and up.

I agree that the true blue chips at the ultra high end of the market, the 250 GTO, Pre-War Bugattis, McLaren F1, and the likes, is unlikely to see any significant drop in values just because there are so few of them and they have transcended beyond their purpose as cars to art, pure hard asset investment or objects of desire and envy. What's interesting to me is what will happen to the long term value of all the classic cars that are a tier below (say the ones that are between $100k and $2 million dollars), or even the level below (the "attainable" level where prices are under $100k)? There's a lot bigger supply of those cars than the blue chip world.

Tastes are finicky. I think that for classic car values to remain high or to appreciate in the long term, future generations must be interested in cars as much as past generations have been. I certainly don't think that all interest in automobiles will disappear in future generations, though there's been a lot of talk of how younger folks today are way less interested in cars as a hobby.

This is an interesting point and can is definitely within the realm of possibility. I can't help but think of the following analogy though, going to the previous personal transportation epoch; how often do you see people showing up to a party by horse drawn carriages now? It would certainly be a conversation starter, but how many people do you know that would genuinely see arriving that way as a sort of status symbol?

I can see a world where some old classic cars are treated, enjoyed and admired as sculptures; and are not to driven or used or ever moved under its own power. At that point, the car would be nothing more than another form of fine art.

--

Another reason I think that is fueling the recent jumps in valuation for so many cars is the ton of cheap money and low interest rate environment. People that can and do use cars as investments have money sitting around, and rather than putting it in a bank account and losing to inflation, they are putting investing it into vehicles with hopes that the trend continues and valuations keep going up and up.

I agree that the true blue chips at the ultra high end of the market, the 250 GTO, Pre-War Bugattis, McLaren F1, and the likes, is unlikely to see any significant drop in values just because there are so few of them and they have transcended beyond their purpose as cars to art, pure hard asset investment or objects of desire and envy. What's interesting to me is what will happen to the long term value of all the classic cars that are a tier below (say the ones that are between $100k and $2 million dollars), or even the level below (the "attainable" level where prices are under $100k)? There's a lot bigger supply of those cars than the blue chip world.

It's interesting to think about and somewhat unprecedented (dubious, citation needed) as an asset class in general. I'd argue that cars didn't even become assets or viewed as assets until...maybe the late 1970s to mid 1980s? I mean a 250 GTO sold for $2,500 (~17k in 2020 USD) in 1969 back when they were just "used race car". I don't have any secondary confirming sources, but apparently chassis #4487 Bugatti Type 35 sold for $1750 in 1962 ($13k in 2020 USD) - firmly after the myth and legend of Bugatti had already been established. This suggests they were seen as collector items but not so much financial assets in the past. So, for some reason, in the early 1980s cars started to become seen as an asset class where apparently they hadn't really before. The older boomers started to reach executive levels during this time period and I'd suggest this coincides pretty nicely with the feds initiation of the easing/low interest rate policy - lots of liquidity and nowhere yieldy enough to park the cash.

Just cross reference this list...

1962 18,500 Sold Selling price from factory when new[7][8][36]
1965 4,000 Sold 3851GT Purchased from Ernesto Prinoth by Fabrizio Violati.[37][38]
1965 10,500 Sold [citation needed]
1966 7,000 Sold 3647GT Purchased by James McNeil from Robert Sauers in Springfield, Massachusetts, USA.[39]
1968 6,500 Advertised June 15th, a 1962 example was advertised in Autoweek[citation needed]
1969 2,500 Sold 3223GT
1969 5,400 Sold 3387GT Purchased by Kirk F. White of Pennsylvania, USA.[40]
1970 8,500 Advertised 4757GT Advertised in the LA Times[citation needed]
1970 7,780 Advertised
1971 9,500 Advertised Advertised by Algar Ferrari in Autoweek[citation needed]
1971 9,900 Advertised Advertised in Road & Track[citation needed]
1971 6,000 Sold 3589GT
1971 12,000 Advertised Advertised by KFW Motorcars in Paoli, PA.[citation needed]
1973 17,500 Sold [citation needed]
1974 28,000 Sold [citation needed]
1975 13,000 Sold 3387GT
1975 35,000 Sold 3223GT [citation needed]
1975 48,000 Advertised Advertised in Autoweek & Competition Press.[citation needed]
1977 71,000 Sold Purchased by Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason with proceeds from the album Dark Side Of The Moon.[42]
1978 90,000 Sold 3987GT Car in good original condition.[citation needed]
1978 125,000 Sold 3387GT Purchased by Mark De Friece.[40] Car in perfect Concours-ready condition.[citation needed]
1980 190,000 Advertised 3445GT Asking price following restoration.[citation needed]
1981 285,000 Advertised 4091GT Advertised in various publications.[citation needed]
1982 345,000 Sold 4757GT Purchased by Christopher Murray of Rhode Island, USA[43] Price quoted as either $250,000 or $345,000.[44]
1983 300,000 Sold [citation needed]
1984 500,000 Sold [citation needed]
1985 650,000 Sold 3987GT Purchased by Ralph Lauren.[45]
1986 1,000,000 Sold 3589GT [citation needed]
1987 1,600,000 Sold 4757GT Sold at FBI Auction[44] and subsequently entered collection of Jacques Swaters.[43]
1988 4,200,000 Sold 3589GT Purchased by Engelbert Stieger of Teufen, Switzerland[41]
1989 10,000,000 Sold [citation needed]
1989 13,300,000 Sold 3909GT Sold to Takeo Kato of Japan.[46]
1990 13,000,000 Sold [citation needed]
1993 3,250,000 Sold 4219GT [47]
1994 3,500,000 Sold 3909GT Sold to David Morisson of London[46]
1996 3,500,000 Sold 5905GT Sold to Lee Kun-Hee of Seoul, South Korea.[48]
1996 3,500,000 Advertised 3445GT Advertised by SMC of La Jolla, California, USA.[49]
1997 2,200,000 Sold [citation needed]
1998 6,000,000 Sold 3729GT [citation needed]
2000 7,000,000 Sold 3413GT Purchased by Greg Whitten.[50]
2004 10,600,000 Sold 3223GT [51]
2007 22,000,000 Sold 5905GT Sold to William Ainscough of the UK.[52][53]
2008 22,763,611 Sold 5905GT Sold to Jon Hunt of London, UK.[54] [53]
2010 26,000,000 Sold 3943GT [55]
2010 17,700,000 Sold 4675GT
2012 31,700,000 Sold 5905GT Believed to be the largest single car transaction in the U.K. at the time.[53]
2012 35,000,000 Sold 3505GT Sold to Craig McCaw of Washington, USA in a private sale.[9][58][59]
2013 52,000,000 Sold 5111GT Sold to an unknown buyer by Paul Pappalardo in a private sale.[12][60][61]
2014 38,115,000 Sold 3851GT Sold by the Fabrizio Violati estate at Bonham's 2014 Quail Lodge auction in Carmel, California, USA.[62]
2016 56,800,000 Advertised 3387GT Advertised by Talacrest UK.[63]
2017 44,000,000 Sold 3387GT Sold by Bernard Carl in private sale to Gregor Fisken.[64][65]
2018 70,000,000 Sold 4153GT
2018 48,405,000 Sold 3413GT Sold by Greg Whitten at RM Sotheby's 2018 Monterey auction.[26]

...with this chart (fed funds rate). It's hard not to see dramatic changes in one echoed in the other.
EuVkWuL.jpg

Is my thesis then that classic car values are still stuck in a bubble that started inflating in the early 1980s? (an a Not really? But I still see automobiles as a highly 20th century interest. It would be stupid to say that nobody is going to want the classics in the future, but I also don't see such a wide swath of the population keenly interested in spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars (especially not ones without a nostalgic connection) as they do now. There is so much uncertainty at the moment (just look at that interest rate graph, what happens next if you try to interpret what happened in the past?!) so I think it's impossible to predict, but my broader point is that I think its unwise to dismiss the possibility that classic/vintage car prices could collapse if the enthusiasm for them that has inflated their stature as an asset class runs out.

A guy near me un-ironically wants $45,000 for his 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo on Craigslist. He justifies this absurd price by claiming to have spent $60k on restoring the car.

This line had me laughing. "I realize that my personal investment and desire are not for everyone, so I priced it at a realistic price". Riiight, because people would definitely pay nearly half a hundred grand for an 80s American car, an 80s American car that has tacky modifications no less.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/palisades-park-classic-1985-monte-carlo/7201489706.html

upload_2020-9-23_14-3-5.png

upload_2020-9-23_14-3-9.png

upload_2020-9-23_14-3-14.png

upload_2020-9-23_14-3-19.png

Everyone who bought some crappy 80s GM car that was "limited" or highly optioned thinks it's worth a fortune now just because they didn't let it rust into the ground. I've seen people go to car shows and put 5 digit sale prices on their V6 Berlinetta Camaros just because they have the original window sticker showing they checked every option box except the ones relating to the drivetrain that would make people under 50 interested in them now.

Last edited:
A guy near me un-ironically wants $45,000 for his 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo on Craigslist. He justifies this absurd price by claiming to have spent $60k on restoring the car.

This line had me laughing. "I realize that my personal investment and desire are not for everyone, so I priced it at a realistic price". Riiight, because people would definitely pay nearly half a hundred grand for an 80s American car, an 80s American car that has tacky modifications no less.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/palisades-park-classic-1985-monte-carlo/7201489706.html

View attachment 959918

View attachment 959919

View attachment 959920

View attachment 959921
I mean it's not bad but it's not worth $45,000.

Back