Ridiculously Undervalued Car Models/Generations and Versions

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 127 comments
Japanese cars parts wise are cheap if your country is closer to japan.

This is why in europe they are not always the best option.

Shame no one in europe seems to know how to screw a bolt on properly(sorry not sorry).

The BMW 3 series compacts (318ti, 323ti)
My dad snatched one up for about 1000$
Criminally underpriced car, for the last of the drift missle rear end from the 80s 3 series. It could have been so low because of it's beater condition, though, as we've had to replace most every part on it. Needed a new cooling system, head gaskets, control arm... I don't even remember how much was busted up.

Japanese cars parts wise are cheap if your country is closer to japan.

This is why in europe they are not always the best option.

Shame no one in europe seems to know how to screw a bolt on properly(sorry not sorry).

No, this still isn't true. @eiriksmil is dead right (and I should know, I just sourced a whole hoard of parts for him all the way from NZ ;) ). If your car is say, within 10 years old, sure- any older and there is a significant lack of parts available (aftermarket notwithstanding). As cars get older in Japan, taxes get higher, so it becomes far more financially viable to simply sell up at an auction - and since it'll be dead cheap and old, there's a high chance that car will end up exported, and other than that, straight up crushed. Space comes as a massive premium in a tiny country like Japan, so simply having some old Corollas or Charades just hanging out which very rarely people will want parts for - most owners have already scrapped or sold their car remember - it really doesn't make sense. The outlier are say, Evos and Skylines, like Eirik mentioned. And it makes sense. There'll always be a demand for them because the enthusiast base is so high, regardless of age.

As an update, has anyone see what low mileage Q50/Q50s are selling for? I've seen some 2015s with less than 50k miles for under $20k. That is a hell of a lot of car for $20k. Even CPO cars are selling for less than $25k. Considering they were upwards of $40k (depending on options) only 2-3 years ago is pretty wild. I personally think it's the best looking car in it's class and I really like the powertrain combination of the big displacement, n/a V6 and the 7AT.

While I had been set on an FR-S, I think I'm leaning a lot more towards a Q50S, as they are so much more car for not much more money. White on graphite rays. Yum. Now I just have to sell my damn Mazda. Somebody please buy my damn Mazda.

e239c_Car_News_001-2014-infiniti-q50-review_628opt.jpg

My last two thread posts have been related. So shoot me. :lol:

Last edited:
Alright, I updated the thread title so that I can break my own rules. I wanted to expand this thread to discuss underpriced variants of a particular car model as well. For that I submit two entries:

NSX (Gen 1) with Automatic Transmission - you can find relatively low mileage version of this under 40k, which is an absurd value.
E46 M3 SMG Transmission - The CSL has the SMG, no problem. Non-CSL? Big problem somehow. I found a 32k mile example, accident free, for $24k.

E46 M3 SMG Transmission - The CSL has the SMG, no problem. Non-CSL? Big problem somehow. I found a 32k mile example, accident free, for $24k.

The problem with the E46 M3 that made me go for the GT86 instead was that if you buy one secondhand, chances are it's got quite some mileage on it already. Which means you most probably are looking at a due clutch replacement, which is very expensive on any M car. And then there's the maintenance: Stick an M-badge on it, and it's going to cost you. Sadly I'm not handy enough to do those things by myself, I'd have loved an E46 M3...

The problem with the E46 M3 that made me go for the GT86 instead was that if you buy one secondhand, chances are it's got quite some mileage on it already. Which means you most probably are looking at a due clutch replacement, which is very expensive on any M car. And then there's the maintenance: Stick an M-badge on it, and it's going to cost you. Sadly I'm not handy enough to do those things by myself, I'd have loved an E46 M3...

Specifically it's the SMG that's cheap. I know those have some maintenance issues with them as well (though it at least removes the clutch issue). People are really scared of the SMG, but it seems like a great way to get a fantastic car.

CSL is a Hardcore limited edition though, the standard E46 M3 sold the most examples of any M3 Ever so its not exactly rare.

The horrible rubbish transmission hasn't stopped the CSL from being an amazing car or people from loving it. I'm not sure why it has to be such a devastating feature on a regular M3.

The horrible rubbish transmission hasn't stopped the CSL from being an amazing car or people from loving it. I'm not sure why it has to be such a devastating feature on a regular M3.
Im sure if the CSL came in Manual it would effect the SMG prices big time but it's forced on you if you get that car, it's not exactly what makes that car great though the massive weight reduction would be the main reason.

I'll assure you the Same thing is with the E60 M5 the US only Manual is extremely collectable and would be highly desirable to those outside US to import it, where as the SMG will always be thought of as a lesser car with significantly more M5s having that rubbish transmission and it being the only option elsewhere.

Im sure if the CSL came in Manual it would effect the SMG prices big time but it's forced on you if you get that car, it's not exactly what makes that car great though the massive weight reduction would be the main reason.

I'll assure you the Same thing is with the E60 M5 the US only Manual is extremely collectable and would be highly desirable to those outside US to import it, where as the SMG will always be thought of as a lesser car with significantly more M5s having that rubbish transmission and it being the only option elsewhere.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-smg-m3-is-the-best-m3-1596497374

It is actually the rarer version of the M3 in the states. And it's faster. And it's waaaay cheaper...

I'm not sure why it has to be such a devastating feature on a regular M3.

Because the regular M3s did not have the updated SMG software the CSL had that made the SMG in the CSL go from bad to tolerable. I've driven both a 6 speed and an SMG equipped car and I can't even begin to explain just how much better the manual car felt.

It also requires very careful (and regular) maintenance that will lead to massive headaches if it hasn't been dealt with properly in the past/not done at all. I've read stories of people having to fork out well over 10k to get their transmission repaired/replaced. That scared off a lot of owners, especially the ones that have picked the cars on the cheap and didn't think owning a German performance car would require as much money as it does. And that's not even including the other E46 M3 problems (VANOS, rear subframe, driveshaft)... But then you know, used German performance car problems. :P

Because the regular M3s did not have the updated SMG software the CSL had that made the SMG in the CSL go from bad to tolerable. I've driven both a 6 speed and an SMG equipped car and I can't even begin to explain just how much better the manual car felt.

I'm not really sure those two cars should be compared anymore (SMG and Manual). Maybe when they were new, maybe. They're very different animals. Certainly now that one of them is almost twice the price it seems like they shouldn't really be stacked against each other. I can see owning both and using them differently.

I'll assure you the Same thing is with the E60 M5 the US only Manual is extremely collectable and would be highly desirable to those outside US to import it, where as the SMG will always be thought of as a lesser car with significantly more M5s having that rubbish transmission

It's collectible because so few people wanted one new. IIRC the manual E60 was reasonably criticised for fitting an ageing transmission to a car that didn't suit it, hence the sub 15% take rate. The SMG III used in the M5 was, I believe, built with all the shortcomings of the SMG I and II in mind, and therefore not directly comparable.

Supply and demand, if you don't mind something that has low demand your the winner, but I wouldn't expect it to be a future classic due to the lack of demand.

People like manuals for obvious reasons and its reflected in the demand for them even if there is more of them.

It's collectible because so few people wanted one new. IIRC the manual E60 was reasonably criticised for fitting an ageing transmission to a car that didn't suit it, hence the sub 15% take rate.
Not exactly though the used car market and new car market are completely different beasts, where as the Used car market generally rewards the manual sports cars the new car market will always struggle to sell them.

It defienetly helps that there isn't many sold though but you can't compare buyers of new cars to used cars as there is a big difference, alot of new car buyers are just on lease and then throw the car away after its over and get the next new thing, used car market works completely different.

This edition is new to me, but find it so cheap for the name associated. Maybe if it were a Type-R and signed by Frentzen, might be a bit more.
Honda Civic Jordan
images

Saw NO.428 for £3750=$6920AUD on gumtree
No.306 is modified with a turbo. "Was" £7495. Now, £6995.

It's not worth a lot because it's just a VTi/EK4 SiR (pretty much the hatchback version of the North American EM1 Si/SiR) with Jordan stickers and Sunlight Yellow paint, along with some gaudy yellow/black "leather" seats. Nothing to set it apart mechanically from the regular VTi... I think it would be worth a lot more if it packed a few Mugen goodies, since at the time it came out Jordan was using a Mugen branded Honda engine.

It's not worth a lot because it's just a VTi/EK4 SiR (pretty much the hatchback version of the North American EM1 Si/SiR) with Jordan stickers and Sunlight Yellow paint, along with some gaudy yellow/black "leather" seats. Nothing to set it apart mechanically from the regular VTi... I think it would be worth a lot more if it packed a few Mugen goodies, since at the time it came out Jordan was using a Mugen branded Honda engine.
I have a friend in Canada who had that one, but the USA never got that spec hatch. We got the Civic "Don't buy one. It's going to get stolen for the B16" Si coupe.

I can say what you said, about a good many cars. However, it'll be 20years next year. Prices could go up for clean examples.

MG Midget MK IV 1974-80
The final iteration of MG's Midget like most of their classic cars are very affordable cars to get into classic motoring. These cars are very inexpensive sports cars. You can grab a very clean example for even $4,000 and a perfect show car will be about $15,000 MAX. Earlier Midgets are worth way more.
3681_935cb61b5d0d_low_res.jpg

Last edited:
Qualifiers:
-These cars aren't particularly well praised
-The interior is pretty outdated
-These are very likely lease returns
-These types of dealers are always sketchy

oqQXPW9.jpg

ilWY1U3.jpg

But $15k+ (or like close to 40%) depreciation in less than 2 years?! For under $19k you get a twin turbo V6 coupled to a 7 speed automatic with a nicely finished (if not particularly nicely designed) interior in a generally handsome car. Yeah, I know they aren't exactly the most loved sedans out there....but I've driven one and I found it to be pretty nice. I have a feeling all of these Q50s are bound for drift-missile status in a few years. Doesn't appear anyone else is buying them. From what I've seen the VR30 can make some pretty serious power with mods. Idk, what do you guys think?

@Eunos_Cosmo I agree man.

I never really liked infiniti cars too much, the Q50 was okay looking to me.

I had flew to california to visit a friend and I had plans to rent a E92 bmw. However the turo guy who was going to pick me up to the airport with it wrecked it. So he picked me up in a different car and brought me to the shop where he owns all the cars. He told me to choose my replacment. It felt like the beginning of a racing video game haha.

Anyway, I decided just to choose the infiniti. I agree I didnt like the interior to much but man that was a really good car to drive. It was fast when I needed it to be. Navigation worked flawlessly and I actually got really good gas mileage with the car.

I'm in the market for a new daily driver right now and its defineitly a canidate looking at the prices. Its grown on me alot since I've driven it.

The Nissan Leaf is a pretty insane bargain these days:

That one is a 2011 with $55k mi for $4500. I've found later model years for that car with around that mileage going for that price as well.

Shame they are so ugly. The BMW i3 and Fiat 500E are also extremely cheap. Basically any used electric car that doesn't wear a Tesla badge has become nearly valueless. This is curious to me, because aside from the batteries, they are theoretically less likely to break than a comparable ICE-powered car.

Back