Ridiculously Undervalued Car Models/Generations and Versions

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 127 comments
That seems like an outlier. Seems pretty plain at that as far as options go & the sale was amended. Wouldn't have been a bad deal though if it was a clean car with no issues. Looks like $140-150K is where the bottom of the market is for a 570S in the UK.

I've noticed that 981-Generation Cayman's have started slipping into the low 30k range here and I've seen more than a few 981 Boxsters (including S's) approaching $25k. Typically the cars in these price ranges will have about 60k miles on them....but damn that's a lot of car for $25-30k. I don't get the depreciation of the midship Porsches...they are completely fantastic to drive and they are quite livable...possibly moreso than even the 911s due to the double trunk, and from 981-gen on, I think they are actually better looking than the 911 - and yet they depreciate like a stone. I'm hoping the 718s follow the same trend (I've seen more than a few slip below $45k so far) because a manual 718 Cayman T seems to be just about the perfect car and one I hope to pick up in a few years.

Is it just me or are 80s to 00s (with a few exceptions) Ferraris pretty cheap right now?

Just looking around (all of this dependent on mileage of course) 550 Maranellos are back down to $100k or less, I've seen Testarossas in the $80k range, 360s in the $50k range, F430s under $100k, and F355s down in the $50k range too. I've even seen 458 Italias approaching $100k...which I thought would surely never happen. The 308 and 328 seem to be exempt from these trends, but I was very surprised to see Testarossas and 550s back down to seemingly where they were 10 years ago.

A Ferrari 360 is one tempting car for $50-60k...though I doubt you'd ever find one that cheap with a 6 speed manual.

Is it just me or are 80s to 00s (with a few exceptions) Ferraris pretty cheap right now?

Just looking around (all of this dependent on mileage of course) 550 Maranellos are back down to $100k or less, I've seen Testarossas in the $80k range, 360s in the $50k range, F430s under $100k, and F355s down in the $50k range too. I've even seen 458 Italias approaching $100k...which I thought would surely never happen. The 308 and 328 seem to be exempt from these trends, but I was very surprised to see Testarossas and 550s back down to seemingly where they were 10 years ago.

A Ferrari 360 is one tempting car for $50-60k...though I doubt you'd ever find one that cheap with a 6 speed manual.
These sound like bottom of the market examples which likely means they're well used & need their services verified.

If you see a 458 approaching $100,000, I'd walk away. There's no reason a 458 should be that low unless it's over 50,000 miles.

Not a specific model, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that there could be many new EVs that could reasonably be considered (and probably even more so a few years from now), ridiculously undervalued. It seems no secret that a lot of EVs have depreciated both more than anticipated, and compared to new ICE and hybrid cars. Though, the poster child for extreme EV depreciation is the Tesla Model S. Even just a 2018 model can be had as low as $20k, with many examples that are 5-6 years old being in the $25k-30k range. For many of these cars, that's nearly as 75% depreciation in just 5-6 years. The Porsche Taycan isn't too far off, being a $120k+ car new, yet a 2020 or 2021 model has depreciated by nearly half, many selling in the $60k range by now. Even bread-and butter CUVs like the Toyota BZ4X and Subaru Solterra have quickly lost value, with 2022 models only being worth $25k to $30k.

Last edited:
Back