Ridiculously Undervalued Car Models/Generations and Versions

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 127 comments
Shame they are so ugly. The BMW i3 and Fiat 500E are also extremely cheap. Basically any used electric car that doesn't wear a Tesla badge has become nearly valueless. This is curious to me, because aside from the batteries, they are theoretically less likely to break than a comparable ICE-powered car.

If I had to buy a car for a teenager right now... it'd be a cheap electric.

The Kia K900 sold like crap, if you are looking for a giant family-friendly luxury sedan. Cue Doug DeMuro a year ago: https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/autotrader-find-used-kia-k900-incredible-bargain-269876
Locally, I'm seeing tons of examples in the low 20ks that are still under warranty (or CPO) with features that rival the S-Class or Lexus LS. Is the car as good as those other full size luxury sedans? Who cares at this price range!

If I had to buy a car for a teenager right now... it'd be a cheap electric.

Sounds like a good way for a controlling parent to make sure the kid doesn't drive off too far. Less range = better!

SVX
Illegal for road use, average kms, auto to manual swap. Not sure how.
They will hold it for you till it's legal(10 Months or so) and it's 50k off the price of an NSX here in Australia with similar KMs with Auto.

How do you know it's an Auto to manual swap apart from it being Common in JDM NSX's?

Last edited:
They will hold it for you till it's legal(10 Months or so) and it's 50k off the price of an NSX here in Australia with similar KMs with Auto.

Expensive everywhere else in the world though.

1991 + 25 years is 2016?
Yeah but the 25 year rule isn't in place till November, they are changing it due to our domestic manufacturing being non existent, even still 25 years is stupid long, I would prefer NZ's import laws.

Before that it was individual applications, so we could get any car we wanted essentially all you need to do is apply through sevs(our import car authority).

Yeah but the 25 year rule isn't in place till November, they are changing it due to our domestic manufacturing being non existent, even still 25 years is stupid long, I would prefer NZ's import laws.

Before that it was individual applications, so we could get any car we wanted essentially all you need to do is apply through sevs(our import car authority).

It's five years difference here. 20 years old or Euro 4 compliant.

Did that change recently?

I have seen alot of the 90s JDM stuff in NZ back in the mid 2000s.

Must have been at least five years ago now. Back in the 80s import tariffs were removed here, which is what begun the massive flood in the following couple of decades. NZ sold cars were just overly expensive and dated compared to what everyone else was getting, so with Labour aboard killing anything that moved, it made sense.

SE72-BUG-VW-84GTi-profile.jpg

Mark 1 Volkswagen Golf GTIs in the United States (sold here as the Rabbit) are very inexpensive. I never realized how cheap they were until now. You can pick one of these up these prices:
Sold for $6,600
http://www.dailyturismo.com/2017/03/auction-watch-1983-volkswagen-rabbit-gti.html
Sold for $8,700
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-volkswagen-rabbit-6/
Sold for $5,100
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-vw-rabbit-gti/
Hagerty average value:
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1983-Volkswagen-GTI

I'm not sure I would call a $5000 floor for a 35 year old subcompact "inexpensive," but I'd rather have the mechanically identical but substantially better equipped convertible equivalent anyway. Gets rid of that horrible Omni front end at least.

I'm not sure I would call a $5000 floor for a 35 year old subcompact "inexpensive," but I'd rather have the mechanically identical but substantially better equipped convertible equivalent anyway. Gets rid of that horrible Omni front end at least.

I'm terrified of unibody-construction convertibles made before, like, model year 2000. :scared::boggled: No thanks.

/owner of a convertible made in 1999

Those Cabriolets are nice and are about the same price but I expected the GTI to be worth a lot more cash just knowing how iconic it is. To me personally, $5,000 is pretty decent for a "performance" compact of that age and in that clean of shape. A lot of classic Volkswagens are getting pretty pricey but Rabbit GTIs are still some of the affordable ones left.

2010-tesla-roadster-6.jpg

Tesla Roadster

I'm wondering about this one. It seems like a bit of a risk. These are trading in the $40k range for next-to-zero miles on them. They produced about 2500 worldwide, which is a pretty limited rollout. I think the value for these might have a little more to give when the new one comes out, but after that.... it seems like it might just skyrocket.

There's the long-term viability of the batteries to consider as well.

But you have to remember that this car kinda put tesla on the map, and made EVs sexy, in a way that really kinda got the ball rolling. For a big splash in the automotive world to have been created by the existence of a low-production sports car usually means big $$. The only downside with this one is that I don't see it as a car that has been crashed or modded to hell, which means that probably a high percentage of those 2500 examples are in really good shape. That might keep a damper on the price.

Honestly regardless of whether Tesla goes on to dominate the automotive world, I wonder if we'll be looking back on the $40k range for these with minimal mileage and thinking... how did I not buy one of those?

2010-tesla-roadster-6.jpg

Tesla Roadster

I'm wondering about this one. It seems like a bit of a risk. These are trading in the $40k range for next-to-zero miles on them. They produced about 2500 worldwide, which is a pretty limited rollout. I think the value for these might have a little more to give when the new one comes out, but after that.... it seems like it might just skyrocket.

There's the long-term viability of the batteries to consider as well.

But you have to remember that this car kinda put tesla on the map, and made EVs sexy, in a way that really kinda got the ball rolling. For a big splash in the automotive world to have been created by the existence of a low-production sports car usually means big $$. The only downside with this one is that I don't see it as a car that has been crashed or modded to hell, which means that probably a high percentage of those 2500 examples are in really good shape. That might keep a damper on the price.

Honestly regardless of whether Tesla goes on to dominate the automotive world, I wonder if we'll be looking back on the $40k range for these with minimal mileage and thinking... how did I not buy one of those?

I see where you are coming from. On the other hand, it might have limited appreciation because:

1 - It wasn't exactly universally acclaimed. If anything, it's most notable bit of press was Jeremy Clarkson's less than stellar review
2 - While it looks pretty good (to my eyes, the body is a little nicer than the Elise it's based on) it's not a truly beautiful car
3 - It's innovative, but ultimately it's a rebodied and slightly reworked Lotus Elise with an electric drivetrain
4 - I don't think it was very memorable or significant. It didn't move the game on. It helped Tesla establish itself, but the Model S has been a far more revolutionary vehicle for the industry. The roadster didn't make other manufacturers rush to come up with a response like the S did, or like the NSX did back in the 90s.

Of course, I could easily be wrong. It's hard to project value. I actually saw one this morning. I would love to drive one actually.

It will go up in Value imo, even if it's only a rebodied Elise, 1st car from Tesla with low numbers and it was sold world wide as well, crashes will happen, fires etc that will lower the number down, overtime but I wouldn't expect a steep rise for awhile, the fact that every other Tesla model is surpiror to it makes it seem a bit redundant but, when the new Roadster comes out it can bring a bit of nostalgia to this, especially for those that might struggle to get their hands on it.

4 - I don't think it was very memorable or significant. It didn't move the game on. It helped Tesla establish itself, but the Model S has been a far more revolutionary vehicle for the industry.

Yea the model S was critical, and so was the model 3. But I think the roadster made Tesla legit. I know that it didn't have the greatest reviews at the time, but I think that was mostly due to skepticism about the EV platform. Not so much about what the roadster was, but about whether it could turn in to something more - whether the entire EV revolution was viable. There was skepticism about all of that which that roadster had to contend with.

But for what it is, a 2-seater rocket that got the ball rolling which will eventually upend the entire car industry... I think it'll be remembered as very special. In fact, I think $40k is a real bargain.

Subaru SVX. Found one for sale on CL for only $4,500 and in good condition as well. I did a wider search for SVXs across the US and even low mileage, pristine condition models are still substantially less than $10k, most of which are $5k-7.5k. For a car that's quite rare and being that 1990s Japanese cars have been skyrocketing over the last few years, I think that SVX prices are remarkably low for what you're getting. Maybe no manual transmission option is a big turn off?

Subaru SVX. Found one for sale on CL for only $4,500 and in good condition as well. I did a wider search for SVXs across the US and even low mileage, pristine condition models are still substantially less than $10k, most of which are $5k-7.5k. For a car that's quite rare and being that 1990s Japanese cars have been skyrocketing over the last few years, I think that SVX prices are remarkably low for what you're getting. Maybe no manual transmission option is a big turn off?

The 1990s Japanese cars that are skyrocketing at the moment all have one thing in common: Legacy

1. Toyota Supra MKIV: The tuner car with perhaps the most iconic Japanese engine ever made.
2. Honda NSX: The supercar that turned the entire segment upside down
3. Nissan Skyline GTR: The original Godzilla that disrupted European hegemony in touring car racing.
4. (To a lesser extent) Mazda RX-7 & Honda S2000: The hardcore lightweight sports cars with racing pedigree - typical sights at a time attack event
5. Subaru WRX/Mitsubishi Lancer EVO: Huge following with pedigree in rally, time trial, and all manner of privateer racing

Plenty of Japanese sports cars of the time period haven't gone anywhere because they didn't develop a legacy or were flawed in other ways:
Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT: too heavy, too complex, too vague in purpose, and also unreliable
Subaru SVX: No legacy to speak of...was never really an enthusiasts car. The styling is also questionable - it's not a universally loved design.
Nissan 300ZX: While they were raced professionally, the road going cars were not really suitable for racing. More of a handsome GT car that could go fast. Reputation for being unfriendly to work on due to tight engine bay never helped.
Mitsubishi Eclipse: Too specifically linked to the US market and a reputation for being fragile

The 1990s Japanese cars that are skyrocketing at the moment all have one thing in common: Legacy
And rarity. Even decades later, there are undoubtedly far more good condition 300ZX TT and 3000GT/Stealth TTs floating around on the used market than there were ever Mk IV Turbos and manual NSXs in the US in the first place.

Last edited:
This one is in Limbo. Don't know if it's under or over valued.
1981 LANCIA ZAGATO $4500-$5000(my brother had one like this back in '84) :)
373911-1000-0.jpg

25U0099.jpg
So, my brother tags me on FB. :eek:

His was one of the 75 special Blak & god editions. Correction to my original post is, he financed it for $5700 at Porsche+Audi in Manhattan, in '85(I typed '84, as I remembered he bought it in Winter '84, but it was February '85).

He was never told about the rarity of the car. Even when he would take it for servicing to Alfredo's(Alfa service), in Larchmont. His first car and brought back so many memories for both of us.

So...Bonhams is doing an auction at Bicester Heritage on September 20th. There's some interesting stuff there being sold (including a MG Maestro lmfao) but interesting to this thread would be this red 2018 McLaren 570S Spider:

*From the estate of Joy Rainey
*Gave charity rides at Prescott and Shelsley
*Low mileage

This 570S was ordered new by hillclimb competitor Joy Rainey, whose prowess behind the wheel saw her hold the Ladies Record at Shelsley Walsh for several years, from 1979 onwards. Latterly Joy gave charity rides at Prescott and Shelsley with this 570S Spider, which she ordered new and at the time specified 540C wheels. Today the car comes to auction with vendor-stated excellent bodywork, red paint and trim, while the wheels/tyres are said to be very good. The interior has very good seats (trimmed in black with red stitching) while the rest of the interior (carpet, dashboard and trim) is rated as good. Engine starting, running and presentation is vendor-assessed as excellent and the running gear, including transmission, suspension and brakes is said to be very good, as are the electrics. This 570S Spider also benefits from full car paint protection film.

All for the low, low starting bid of 60,000 Euros, or about 80,000 USD.

I know that McLaren prices in the open market have been a ticking time bomb as they've spread the model range thin with at best derivative models, and I know that auctions usually skew towards the higher price range once it's been done and dusted, but still, I didn't expect the value to fall to well past 50% of it's value after two years.

So...Bonhams is doing an auction at Bicester Heritage on September 20th. There's some interesting stuff there being sold (including a MG Maestro lmfao) but interesting to this thread would be this red 2018 McLaren 570S Spider:

All for the low, low starting bid of 60,000 Euros, or about 80,000 USD.

I know that McLaren prices in the open market have been a ticking time bomb as they've spread the model range thin with at best derivative models, and I know that auctions usually skew towards the higher price range once it's been done and dusted, but still, I didn't expect the value to fall to well past 50% of it's value after two years.

They scored a 2 year old car 13/20 on interior condition? :odd: Must have endured a rough owner...maybe it was a rental?

Back