Ridiculously Undervalued Car Models/Generations and Versions

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 127 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
As a corollary to the ridiculously overpriced used cars thread I thought we could use some discussion of cars that are under priced. Since I don't really want this to become a bargain hunting exercise on craigslist looking for cars that are hiding something like a salvage title or something decaying in the trunk, I thought it would be best to restrict this thread to a discussion of entire models or generations of models that are underpriced (Edit: and particular variants of a model). I'll kick things off with one of the most obvious:

Porsche 996 911.

996_Buying_Guide.jpg

These can be had all day long under $30k, and that's absolutely bonkers for a porsche 911 that drives like a 911. Over 300 hp, sub-5 second 0-60 time, fantastic handling, and of course a back seat. At this point, the mechanical issues are well known and preventative maintenance puts them largely in the rear view mirror, leaving a car that's otherwise quite reliable.

Porsche made a ton of them, so the price is still low, even for excellent condition.

Last edited:
996 is definitely undervalued, though can't see it remaining so for much longer. First-gen Cayman is the same - noticed them dipping under £10k in the UK recently and really hope I can get into one before they start going the other way.

Beyond those though, I'm struggling. I'd say at the moment most stuff is probably over-valued, and you have to start looking for seriously obscure stuff before prices get sensible. Some of the Japanese stuff is still kinda that way, I think, because I think there's still an underlying vibe in the classic car industry that Japanese cars aren't appreciated in the same way as maybe American or European ones. Some are bucking the trend (the ultra-rare stuff, or very clean examples of things like Supras and NSXs) but a lot of it still seems fairly good value.

I'll go again:

BMW E36

bmw-e36-m3-92-99-m3-conv-S2815452-1.jpg

Can be had in the US for under $5k in good shape. This car can be whatever you want it to be, but it is fun for sure. Good driver involvement, looks good, comfortable, not exactly what I'd call fast, but it's slow car fast (the ///M is legit). They're at bargain basement prices for a car that's really quite a gem.

Seeing how a basic VW Golf mk2 (non gti)in reasonable condition goes for €3000,- here, I am having a really difficult time thinking of something fun and cheap. Fuel prices kill the fun of larger engines, and taxes kill unless they're a classic.

Aside from the already mentioned 996 or caymans, which have already passed their lowest point and decent ones are already raising, I'm finding it hard to think of anything interesting that still seems good value. It did think the Monaro, which was never a great seller here despite being good value when new, may be a candidate, but a quick look on autotrader shows that the handful on the market really are not that cheap.

Performance variants have always been good sellers in the UK, and the classics and modern classics market is usually quite robust. TVRs are still pretty good value, for the performance. 'S' Audis, of the era when they still used V8s and V10s, can be had pretty cheaply, even good low mileage ones. E36 BMWs that were not M3s will be worn and probably mostly 4cyl models if not the dreaded diesel.

Mercedes-Benz CL 600

For a fifteen year old car that was priced at $125k new, these can be bought in good condition for as little as $9,000, which sounds to me like a great deal.

TVRs are still pretty good value, for the performance.
Glad you added that qualifier, because I've always thought that TVRs should be cheaper used. Hell of a lot of performance for the money certainly (as they always were) but to get any of the Peter Wheeler-era ones it's like £20k-£25k and up, which still seems a lot of money in my head for something from the late 90s to early 2000s. Particularly when those aforementioned 996s can still currently be had for less.

but to get any of the Peter Wheeler-era ones it's like £20k-£25k and up, which still seems a lot of money in my head for something from the late 90s to early 2000s.

Are Chimaeras that much now? - they were hovering around the £12-14k mark last time i checked, which i grant you was a few years ago. I know Griffs have slowly been gaining value. I guess they're pulling the less favoured, but technically similar Chimaera with them.

Are Chimaeras that much now? - they were hovering around the £12-14k mark last time i checked, which i grant you was a few years ago. I know Griffs have slowly been gaining value. I guess they're pulling the less favoured, but technically similar Chimaera with them.
Ah, bit less for those it seems. I'd forgotten they existed. Seem to be the only one though!

Mercedes-Benz CL 600

For a fifteen year old car that was priced at $125k new, these can be bought in good condition for as little as $9,000, which sounds to me like a great deal.​

It will at least look nice on the back of the flatbed.

As a corollary to the ridiculously overpriced used cars thread I thought we could use some discussion of cars that are under priced. Since I don't really want this to become a bargain hunting exercise on craigslist looking for cars that are hiding something like a salvage title or something decaying in the trunk, I thought it would be best to restrict this thread to a discussion of entire models or generations of models that are underpriced. I'll kick things off with one of the most obvious:

Porsche 996 911.

996_Buying_Guide.jpg

These can be had all day long under $30k, and that's absolutely bonkers for a porsche 911 that drives like a 911. Over 300 hp, sub-5 second 0-60 time, fantastic handling, and of course a back seat. At this point, the mechanical issues are well known and preventative maintenance puts them largely in the rear view mirror, leaving a car that's otherwise quite reliable.

Porsche made a ton of them, so the price is still low, even for excellent condition.

Price of entry may be relatively "cheap" for a Porsche but that preventative maintenance will cost you an arm and if anything breaks there goes the leg. Last year for the 996 is 2004, at 30k you can buy near new cars with same if not better performance.

Best choice is it must be a Porsche, but that is one hell of a price for a more than a decade old machine. I'd be way hesitant to drop so much money on such an old car.

Price of entry may be relatively "cheap" for a Porsche but that preventative maintenance will cost you an arm and if anything breaks there goes the leg. Last year for the 996 is 2004, at 30k you can buy near new cars with same if not better performance.

Examples.

Examples.

E90
C6 Zo6
A current gen GT Stang or Camaro SS.

Personally i'd pay a bit more and just grab a current gen base model Vett preowned but with full warranty. i wouldn't want to worry about a 15 year old car, haveing owned a old sports car before, they are a headache and a hell of a cost.

I'd only buy that 911 with intentions of only driving 1000km a year and with hopes it'll double in value in a decade. Will it ?????

Can everyone in this thread stop making me want a 911 please? By June this year I'm hoping to be in a position to be able to buy a 2nd car and up until now the choices were fairly sensible...

You think that's less of a headache? Ha!

C6 Zo6
A current gen GT Stang or Camaro SS.

Rather have the 911 than any of the above. But that's just me.

Here's another great car for peanuts.

Toyota MR2 W20

MR2-001-940x627.jpg

This particular one sold for $7500. As I've posted in other threads, any time someone says miata, I say MR2. This is a mid engine'd pile of fun that looks fantastic. Love these cars so much.

The whole "cheap" Porsche thing doesn't really exist in my experience. Running costs of a 996 can be just as much as a 993 or 997, despite being a fraction of the price. For that reason, I can't really say a 996, 987 or 986 is undervalued. (Written as a 986 Owner who previously thought otherwise. My car has less than 50k miles on it, is in quite great condition and has cost me quite a bit more than I would have expected. If you don't have the equipment or space to do work yourself, I would honestly avoid any Porsche unless you have considerable disposable income)

In my opinion these are the tremendously undervalued (and underappreciated, I might add) cars of today. My rules were: cheap to buy AND cheap to run.

#1 Nissan 350Z (DE + HR engine types):
-These things are seriously fast, an HR would probably outrun any non-turbo, non GT 996. The DE has a lot of torque on balance. Yeah the ergonomics and 10/10 driving experience isn't great, but they are damn good. They are also incredibly cheap in the US. Cream of the crop Nismo variants can even be had under $20k in good condition.
(The 370z should also be mentioned, but I think the 350z is a more entertaining & accessible car and I think it will also age much, much better).
#2 Mazda RX-8
-Yes, the maintenance on these is a little on the high side. But it can't be more expensive to run than a 15 year old Porsche. But the chassis is sooooo good, and where else can you get a car that handles so well that can fit 4 adults. I've seen RX-8's for as low as $3500 with a clean title. That's nuts.

#3 Scion FR-S.
-Tremendous value even when new, these cars have nosedived in terms of depreciation. I've seen clean relatively low mileage cars for below $13k. How does nobody else see modern day Alfa Giulia GTA or E30 M3? That's basically what the ZN6 twins are. There are few new cars you can go out and buy today that have this much character in such an honest straightforward package, in my opinion.
#4 Honda S2000
-I'll admit these aren't quite as good of value as they were 5 years ago, but you're still getting near-Ferrari-levels of manic athleticism and verve from a $10-20k Honda.

#5 Infiniti G35 Sedan
-You say E36 M3, I say G35 Sedan, first generation. Much nicer interior, more power (in the US). Yeah so it's not as focused as an M3, but all the basic bits are there. Oh and they are stupidly cheap with tons and tons available. Watch out for the salvage titles...

#6 Honda Prelude (last generation)
-I think these are the real sleeper Honda. Nobody has really picked up on them yet, but I think it's coming. They have a really, really great design in my opinion, one of Honda's best and everything that was great about late 90s/early 00s car design -- simple detailing with an apparent lack of mass and athletic overall form. The driving experience is pretty unique too, especially in SH guise, with the front end vectoring you out of tight corners. If the SH had been badged as a Type R, they would already be worth $25k.

#7 300ZX Twin Turbo
-It seems a little crazy that the Supra TT has skyrocketed in value and the very-similar 300ZX has gone almost nowhere. You'd be a fool to spend $45k on a Supra over an equivalent 300ZX for $15k, in my opinion. Looks better too. I realize the Z32 can be difficult to maintain due to the tight engine bay, but the engine itself is robust.

#8 Lexus SC300/SC400
-Considering what you get and how cheap these are, I have to say they are undervalued. The 2JZ or 1UZ engine will run forever and either is perfectly suited to this bargain priced continent crusher. The styling has not yet hit classic status yet, but it's surely almost there. Quality, refinement, comfort, and an airey 90s lack of concern. Take me home Lexus SC300.
(Special mention to the second-gen Lexus GS as well. Such a handsome & stately looking car and much better put together than the Mercedes Benz E class of the time.)
#9 Infiniti M35 (Y34 Model)
-Just a damn-handsome Luxury sedan that we only got for 2 years. A paltry few were sold. Is there a better looking sedan from this time period? I don't think there is...it just looks so...resolved. Haven't checked prices on these in a while, but surely they are cheap.
My list is entirely Japanese, and for good reason. Japanese cars are really, really good and yet somehow they tend to depreciate far more than their European equivalents. Great for me!

Last edited:
Can everyone in this thread stop making me want a 911 please? By June this year I'm hoping to be in a position to be able to buy a 2nd car and up until now the choices were fairly sensible...

Take from an idiot that lost 10k euro on a good car in one year cause he tried to be somewhat sensible and not buy what he really wanted (M4)

Go all out, get what you want. especially if your daily is just a mundane boring grocery car. Just a beater. Buy something you truly will love, it will be well worth it. if you settle for less anything less, you regret it badly after the first few months.

You think that's less of a headache? Ha!

Rather have the 911 than any of the above. But that's just me.

Here's another great car for peanuts.

Toyota MR2 W20

MR2-001-940x627.jpg

This particular one sold for $7500. As I've posted in other threads, any time someone says miata, I say MR2. This is a mid engine'd pile of fun that looks fantastic. Love these cars so much.

To each his own, go for it if it's your one must have car. Personally 911s do nothing for me, current gen is great till i see the price and a loud holly hell no runs through my mind.

Mr2 is cool, but Supra is only toyota i'd really go for. Maybe if things work out well, fingers crossed.

Buy what you really really want people!!!

Last edited:
The whole "cheap" Porsche thing doesn't really exist in my experience. Running costs of a 996 can be just as much as a 993 or 997, despite being a fraction of the price. For that reason, I can't really say a 996, 987 or 986 is undervalued. (Written as a 986 Owner who previously thought otherwise. My car has less than 50k miles on it, is in quite great condition and has cost me quite a bit more than I would have expected. If you don't have the equipment or space to do work yourself, I would honestly avoid any Porsche unless you have considerable disposable income)

In my opinion these are the tremendously undervalued (and underappreciated, I might add) cars of today. My rules were: cheap to buy AND cheap to run.

-These things are seriously fast, an HR would probably outrun any non-turbo, non GT 996. The DE has a lot of torque on balance. Yeah the ergonomics and 10/10 driving experience isn't great, but they are damn good. They are also incredibly cheap in the US. Cream of the crop Nismo variants can even be had under $20k in good condition.
(The 370z should also be mentioned, but I think the 350z is a more entertaining & accessible car and I think it will also age much, much better).
#2 Mazda RX-8
-Yes, the maintenance on these is a little on the high side. But it can't be more expensive to run than a 15 year old Porsche. But the chassis is sooooo good, and where else can you get a car that handles so well that can fit 4 adults. I've seen RX-8's for as low as $3500 with a clean title. That's nuts.

#3 Scion FR-S.
-Tremendous value even when new, these cars have nosedived in terms of depreciation. I've seen clean relatively low mileage cars for below $13k. How does nobody else see modern day Alfa Giulia GTA or E30 M3? That's basically what the ZN6 twins are. There are few new cars you can go out and buy today that have this much character, in my opinion.
#4 Honda S2000
-I'll admit these aren't quite as good of value as they were 5 years ago, but you're still getting near-Ferrari-levels of manic athleticism and verve from a $10-20k Honda.

#5 Infiniti G35 Sedan
-You say E36 M3, I say G35 Sedan, first generation. Much nicer interior, more power (in the US). Yeah so it's not as focused as an M3, but all the basic bits are there. Oh and they are stupidly cheap with tons and tons available. Watch out for the salvage titles...

-I think these are the real sleeper Honda. Nobody has really picked up on them yet, but I think it's coming. They have a really, really great design in my opinion, one of Honda's best and everything that was great about late 90s/early 00s car design -- simple detailing with an apparent lack of mass and athletic overall form. The driving experience is pretty unique too, especially in SH guise, with the front end vectoring you out of tight corners. If the SH had been badged as a Type R, they would already be worth $25k.

#7 300ZX Twin Turbo
-It seems a little crazy that the Supra TT has skyrocketed in value and the very-similar 300ZX has gone almost nowhere. You'd be a fool to spend $45k on a Supra over an equivalent 300ZX for $15k, in my opinion. Looks better too. I realize the Z32 can be difficult to maintain due to the tight engine bay, but the engine itself is robust.

#8 Lexus SC300/SC400
-Considering what you get and how cheap these are, I have to say they are undervalued. The 2JZ or 1UZ engine will run forever and either is perfectly suited to this bargain priced continent crusher. The styling has not yet hit classic status yet, but it's surely almost there. Quality, refinement, comfort, and an airey 90s lack of concern. Take me home Lexus SC300.
(Special mention to the second-gen Lexus GS as well. Such a handsome & stately looking car and much better put together than the Mercedes Benz E class of the time.)
-Just a damn-handsome Luxury sedan that we only got for 2 years. A paltry few were sold. Is there a better looking sedan from this time period? I don't think there is...it just looks so...resolved. Haven't checked prices on these in a while, but surely they are cheap.
My list is entirely Japanese, and for good reason. Japanese cars are really, really good and yet somehow they tend to depreciate far more than their European equivalents. Great for me!

Great list. I also love the G35. I've never driven a Lexus I liked, but I've also never driven an SC300/SC400.

Surprised none mentioned Miata yet.

#7 300ZX Twin Turbo

Your list is great.

But that is fighting words lol.

But the answer is Supra at any price. She is the 1960s Shelby mustang equivalent of the Japan 90s sports cars. If i'm not mistaken, the 300zx outnumbers the mkiv Supra 10-1 in USA market. Supra will always be worth a crazy amount just due to rarity and its legendary status.

#2 Mazda RX-8

#3 Scion FR-S.
-Tremendous value even when new, these cars have nosedived in terms of depreciation. I've seen clean relatively low mileage cars for below $13k. How does nobody else see modern day Alfa Giulia GTA or E30 M3? That's basically what the ZN6 twins are. There are few new cars you can go out and buy today that have this much character in such an honest straightforward package, in my opinion.
#4 Honda S2000

#5 Infiniti G35 Sedan

#7 300ZX Twin Turbo

#8 Lexus SC300/SC400

I'd agree with all of these. Many of them are pretty much a decent price on the used market, I remember being surprised to see FR-S's for around the $10k mark. I love the SC300/SC400, though it seems to vary quite a bit. You either get the "clean" ones people ask for nearly $10k for or a high mileage, but clean one for $1000.

I don't know if this would be a good one.... But what about the Lexus IS-F? It seems you can get some decent ones for the $20k (or under) to low $30k range and considering how reliable they are, I'd pick one up over an M3 or C63. Though, I'd be okay with being proven wrong as almost any car can be reliable with good maintenance. Ugh, I really want to get one myself to upgrade from my IS300.... Never realized they only sold about 5,000 in the U.S.
IS-F_02_Large-286887.jpg

It's funny, I always liked that generation of the IS, but the bulging nose of the F model always turned me off. It looks really really heavy for some reason. I wonder if they could have done something a little more inconspicuous to clear the bigger motor?

Mercedes-Benz CL 600

For a fifteen year old car that was priced at $125k new, these can be bought in good condition for as little as $9,000, which sounds to me like a great deal.

9,000 until you need to change the struts and that's 5,000 per corner.

#8 Lexus SC300/SC400

Until you have to hoist the engine out to do any kind of regular maintenance.

Can we seriously not include maintenance/repair boondoggles in here?

The biggest problem with cars is that there really isn't anything that's undervalued. Cars on the whole are grossly overpriced.

Last edited:
#2 Mazda RX-8

I'd buy one that had an MOT and could be driven but had "problems" for £600-£700 then get the engine rebuilt with an extended street port (or a bridge port if you're feeling a bit mad) and remap for £3,000. People panic sell them when they start to go wrong without realising how cheap a full rebuild with 12 month warranty is. Whack on a nice exhaust and it'll sound amazing too.

A late 90s Jaguar S-Type with low mileage and the 240bhp 3.0L V6 can be had for less than £500 which seems mental. All older Jags can be had for peanuts really, an XF again with the 3.0L V6 can cost less than £5000!

Porsche 996 911.

It seems to be the teardrop headlights that makes them so unpopular, you often see them swapped with a kit that makes the car much more attractive. I aim to own one within 10 years*.

*Like I aimed to ten years ago, but kids cost so much bloody money

#2 Mazda RX-8
Like @Moglet says, they're even more insanely cheap in the UK. £5000 will get you pretty much the best in the country (aside from a few ultra-low-miles, very late-model examples being sold at dealers). Drove one for the first time a few months back - absolutely loved it. I change my mind too often on what I like to say I'd buy one, but after driving one I had very strong thoughts about selling my MX-5 and buying an RX-8 instead.
A late 90s Jaguar S-Type with low mileage and the 240bhp 3.0L V6 can be had for less than £500 which seems mental. All older Jags can be had for peanuts really, an XF again with the 3.0L V6 can cost less than £5000!
All 90s Jags are great value for money at the moment. You can still find XJRs pretty cheaply (I6 supercharged or the V8 supercharged ones), and X300-era XJs are only now beginning to go up in value. S-type Rs are good value too (generally sub-£10k, often far less than that).

While the V6 S-types are cheap, I'm not sure I'd bother when for a grand or two you can get one of the V8 ones pretty easily. XKs aren't too expensive either.

Oh, and I know they have a stigma attached, but X-types are dirt cheap too. Biggest problem with them seems to be rust (there's a Mondeo joke in there somewhere) but they got pretty good reviews back in the day and in the right spec they can look fairly good too. Helps that they sold so many of them (ditto the S-type).

Honda CRX

honda_crx_88_NH95M_01.jpg

Much-beloved, and available for a few grand (depending on the running condition). It's a little hard to find versions that aren't just destroyed by aftermarket mods or poor maintenance. But if you could find one, it's a very special car that should retain its value.

Back