Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Gabriel may still stand a fairly good chance of being chosen as the wild card. Realistically it should be Thor, but Gabriel stood up to a lot of punishment for a robot with enormous plastic wheels, and it was the only heat finalist that took it to a judges' decision.

If they do through they won't last five seconds against Carbide though.

I think Carbide will probably walk it, there are some other good robots in the final sure but nothing has really impressed me as much as Carbide, the only ways in which they wont win is if they are flipped out of the arena, pushed in the pit or have realiablity issues, if any of the other competitors have a straight fight with them then they will get ripped to shreds, just my opinion.

Yeah it has to be Carbide really. I'd be left very unsatisfied if it was someone like Shockwave.

Talking of which. What are the rule differences between the 2? I just wondered why the Razer team for example use Warhead for BB instead of Razer.

A bot like Razer would get destroyed with some of the current top Battlebot robots. I've been watching both shows and honestly I believe battlebots currently has the more effective and lethal designs. Tombstone, Bronco, Icewave, Minotaur and Bite Force would each easily defeat the current robot wars finalists.

When interviewed, everyone in the Robot wars pits seems like they had only a couple weeks to prepare :lol:

I remember one I had on the PS2 (arenas of destruction?), that was quite a bit of fun, especially battling against my brother. :)

One thing I do remember is that the camera wasn't the best, you could easily lose track of where you were on some of the more complex arenas (oil rig springs to mind) but yes, I would love to see a more up-to-date game.

I have been trying to find that somewhere as my disk had been scratched horrendously and thus didn't work, but all I can find is the disk on Amazon and they are asking a fortune for it.

I would have assumed it would be freeware by now as many games of that age are.

I was considering getting another copy off ebay but apparently it doesn't work on Windows 10.

Wonderful.

Battlebots is treated more like a sport than a game show. The robots are much more high-tech, the teams have sponsors, and the shows have the robotic equivalent of sports commentators presenting them.

Battlebots is treated more like a sport than a game show. The robots are much more high-tech, the teams have sponsors, and the shows have the robotic equivalent of sports commentators presenting them.
Where can I find Battlebots?

[EDIT] Don't worry, found the sweet spot on youtube.

Nothing like a bit of obvious sexism. :lol:

Men working on Ironside 3 and the women giving out sandwiches. :lol:

I have noticed this and it's so stereotypical of the gender bias in certain fields.

Most of the woman on the weekly teams have had the following assigned roles...

Has decorated the robot
Is the 'creative consultant'
There for moral support
Organises things
Makes the tea
Etc etc

Just nice ways of basically saying she's there because her husband, child, friend is there. :lol:

It's a sad reflection of the lack of female interest in engineering and even basic tinkering. It would be good if Robot Wars could find an all Female team to address the balance.

The closest we got to that was Napalm, which was made up of a grammar school teacher and two of his female students, one of which drove the robot. And Widow's Revenge, which was all-female team made up of the wives/girlfriends/sisters of team Razer, who I believe did most of the building of the robot, and the producers managed to set-up a bout between the two in the second round of their heat in the Fifth Wars, which obviously Razer won.

In Extreme Series 2 there was the Iron Maidens tournament, where the female members of each team took over the controls, and it was won by Chompalot!

It's a sad reflection of the lack of female interest in engineering and even basic tinkering. It would be good if Robot Wars could find an all Female team to address the balance.
From inside engineering, there's obviously the gender imbalance in university and in the workplace. But of the few female engineers I know, I don't know any that tinker in their free time.

From inside engineering, there's obviously the gender imbalance in university and in the workplace. But of the few female engineers I know, I don't know any that tinker in their free time.

That's the thing, of the very few women that are in the industry many don't seem to have a passion for it that extends outside the workplace. You will find that most men who are engineers will often have hobbies in a similar vein.

It's rare to find a girl who just woke up one morning and wanted to be a engineer. Most I've spoken to in education or employment have come from an engineering family or background and simply had the aptitude to do it rather than have a passion for it.

That's the thing, of the very few women that are in the industry many don't seem to have a passion for it that extends outside the workplace. You will find that most men who are engineers will often have hobbies in a similar vein.

It's rare to find a girl who just woke up one morning and wanted to be a engineer. Most I've spoken to in education or employment have come from an engineering family or background and simply had the aptitude to do it rather than have a passion for it.
Same problem with science based subjects.

Well except my old school science teacher. She likely spent all her time writing to science shows on the tv telling them why they are slightly wrong. :lol:

It is a shame.

Last edited:
Always hated Stinger in the old series, glad Gabriel also didn't make it. Boring ass Robot.

I think overall the standard of the robots this year has been a pretty mixed bag but I guess we can put that down to it being the first one back, hopefully for S2 a few more interesting and better made bots turn up. Mind you the final should be interesting, definitely most of the winners were worthwhile.

Also for S2 let's hope they can sync the audience countdowns to the voiceover. :lol:

Always hated Stinger in the old series, glad Gabriel also didn't make it. Boring ass Robot.

There was nothing to hit with Gabriel :lol: It was so ungainly and flexible that nothing really worked on it!

Also all I thought about when looking at it was this...

upload_2016-8-25_19-34-8.png

Gabriel was awful I thought. True it was hard to hit and it took damage well but its weapon was as much good as a chocolate teapot.

And I still want to play AoD. Why Windows 10 why?

It's on PS2 too.

I always liked Stinger. It was the only axlebot that worked well, the only other one to ever cause any damage was Attila the Drum who beat the crap out of Razer in the Southern Annihilator in the Fourth Wars. Most others were just a pair of wheels with a tail that dragged behind it. Stinger was a bit different in that all the motors and electronics were in the wheels, leading to a very complicated gearing system. Gabriel by comparison looks really cheap and ungainly.

Would be great if the BBC made a new version but it would probably be some shoddy app game like those Top Gear releases :(

The closest we got to that was Napalm, which was made up of a grammar school teacher and two of his female students, one of which drove the robot. And Widow's Revenge, which was all-female team made up of the wives/girlfriends/sisters of team Razer, who I believe did most of the building of the robot, and the producers managed to set-up a bout between the two in the second round of their heat in the Fifth Wars, which obviously Razer won.
Just a nitpick, Widow's Revenge weren't the partners of Team Razer, although Vincent Blood's girlfriend filled in for one of them when she fell ill.

...Yes, I gleamed that from the comments section of the video. :embarrassed:

The standard of robots has been terrible this series - and Razer clearly threw their heat. I guess so that they could get on screen and give the show some continuation credibility, but didn't have to actually do any fighting.

The standard of robots has been terrible this series - and Razer clearly threw their heat. I guess so that they could get on screen and give the show some continuation credibility, but didn't have to actually do any fighting.
Some are good like Carbide but yes I would agree.

It's Apollo!

Really it should have been Carbide, but like every robot this year, reliability got the better of them. There have been a lot of teething problems this season, but hopefully next year we won't have so many robots breaking down!

Apollo! :bowdown: So glad they won! Such a cool looking robot.

The sloping slides helped reduce Carbides effectiveness and they had excellent reliability apart from the link falling out.

Apollo's flipper was comfortably the best in the series. Eruption's and TR2 were nowhere near them. It was probably about as powerful as Gravity circa Series 7, but still not as powerful as Wheely Big Cheese.

Latest Posts

Back