Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Scrapheap Challenge from back in the day was quality!

On topic though I used to love Robot Wars. I still remember the one where Matilda the house robot was mashed up by someone. :P

That was razor, I remember they showed matilda with bandages in the graphic. I think I went nuts watching that. :D

Also Tornado>Rest.

Sorry for the bump, but I have recently rediscovered this from my youth. (Those eagle eyed of you will have noticed my signature highlights this.
Favourite Robots
Dantomkia, Storm 2, Thermidor 2, Terrorhurtz, Atomic, Hypno Disc, X-terminator, Razer
Bizarre coincidence time.

The other day we went to look at a Montessori school for my youngest. In the materials box was a 6 foot square of... this:

248972_563214850371122_823771842_n.jpg

Never seen it before other than that.

Hypno Disc made a wicked debut, but Axe weapons blew up its offense.

I remember there was one bot that dropped an axe on the disc, jammed it, and it stopped working. After that, it was nothing more than just a bot with 4 wheels.

that was the house robot Shunt

Oh yeah. Shunt. Has anyone managed to best that tiny fortress? I remember just about every other house bot being defeated in one way or another, including Sir Killalot.

This has to be the biggest thread bump in GTP history!
8 years... the biggest thread bump in GTP I've seen for a while.
I love Robot Wars, was gutted when it stopped, never missed an episode.
When did it stop? I didn't realised they stopped airing it, partly because I haven't watched it for a while. It was awesome when it lasted.

Oh yeah. Shunt. Has anyone managed to best that tiny fortress? I remember just about every other house bot being defeated in one way or another, including Sir Killalot.

I think it may have ended up in the pit once?

I loved this as a kid.

Anyways, you're all wrong about the best battle.

Not one but TWO close-calls? DAMN!

I want to see the Shunt get tipped over. The low stance and minimal ground clearance it has all around make it difficult to pull off.

I was always a Cassius and later Chaos 2 fan. Anything with a big flipper I liked. I was never particularly bothered by Razer, but it's only the past few years I've come to appriciate what a brilliant piece of engineering Razer is.

Last edited:
Looking back on Robot Wars, I'm glad Sir Killalot and his ilk would never pass a Turing test. :scared:

Oh man, I loved Robot Wars when I was a kid and watching the videos you guys have put up has filled me with nostalgia, I really hope someone brings it back..

Robot Wars made my Friday nights as a kid.. Loved it.

Favourite was Road Block (series 1), Razer, and Pussycat...

Best battle has to be Chaos 2 vs Pussycat in series 4 final. Pussycat for me won that fight... But it was so close to call.

Chaos 2 and Wheely Big Cheese were my favourites, in fact virtually every flipper robot (except Dantomkia).

Best battle is a tricky one to call. Hypno-Disc vs Splinter was pretty sweet. Chaos 2 vs Wild Thing was great too though. I think the format of mandatory assault courses and sumos in the first two seasons worked really well, shame 95% of the robots were rubbish! :lol:

When did it stop? I didn't realised they stopped airing it, partly because I haven't watched it for a while. It was awesome when it lasted.

Just noticed I never responded to this. The final season, the seventh wars, finished in 2003. There wasn't any formal announcement, just a small message on the website. Ratings had plummeted in the final season due to a variety of reasons. These included the show switching from BBC to Channel 5, where it now had ad breaks. Phillipa Forrester was replaced as pit reporter by the far less popular Jayne Middlemiss. Several of the all-star robots dropped out, including Razer, Chaos 2, Hypno-Disc, Dominator 2, S3, Terrorhurtz and Wild Thing. Those that remained, such as Bigger Brother, Firestorm, Tornado, Dantomkia, Spawn Again, Thermidor 2, Pussycat and Panic Attack, performed distinctly worse that was expected from their reputations, and most were taken out early by novice robots (Bigger Brother, former finalist, being taken out in the 2nd round of it's heat was probably the biggest surprise).

Then there was the issue of, what I would say was a rather flukey final. The eventual champion Typhoon 2 only worked when it's spinning body was up to speed, so it would run away first to get up to speed, and rightfully so, because 8 of the 9 robots it fought against that season had flippers. It could have been eliminated in the first round when it was flipped over by Bigger Brother, who had already eliminated the other two robots, saving both of them. They beat Storm 2 in the final because Storm 2 sustained self-inflicted damage from hitting the arena wall so hard, other than that, Storm 2 were on top for the whole fight, and should have won it, as that thing was pretty much unstoppable.

Last edited:
Chaos 2 and Wheely Big Cheese were my favourites, in fact virtually every flipper robot (except Dantomkia).

Best battle is a tricky one to call. Hypno-Disc vs Splinter was pretty sweet. Chaos 2 vs Wild Thing was great too though. I think the format of mandatory assault courses and sumos in the first two seasons worked really well, shame 95% of the robots were rubbish! :lol:

Do you remember the big sphere in series 1 that basically just had a remote control car inside? What a joke that was!

Do you remember the big sphere in series 1 that basically just had a remote control car inside? What a joke that was!

Psychosprout was one my favourite designs. Shame it was massively underweight, had no offensive weaponry, and rolled backwards on the ramp in the assault course...

This is still my favourite moment in Robot Wars history:

So does anyone think it'll comeback on TV?

Because they show repeats of Robot Wars Extreme on Dave every now and then...and I think its possible that they could bring it back...

I want it back. When I was a little kid I absolutely loved it.

It was interesting to watch indeed, I still wonder why they stopped it. It was by favourite program next behind TopGear before it vanished.

I don't know how they would be able to properly bring it back. Unless they stopped contestants from using too many computers in the machines.

I would love to see a remake though.

Hopefully there's a TV producer out there viewing this thread.....

Psychosprout was one my favourite designs. Shame it was massively underweight, had no offensive weaponry, and rolled backwards on the ramp in the assault course...

This is still my favourite moment in Robot Wars history:

Bloody hell! I forgot about this! Crazy!

So does anyone think it'll comeback on TV?

Because they show repeats of Robot Wars Extreme on Dave every now and then...and I think its possible that they could bring it back...

The ratings were really high until the final season, so I'd hope it could. Since it stopped there has been various untelevised competitions around the country. What might kill it though if they brought it back, particularly for people that watched the original run, is that virtually none of the famous robots would return, as they're all either obsolete, retired, or don't exist anymore.

Wish it came back. Still think Tornado team cheated when they used the 'anti-Razer' cage no matter what anyone says :)

Don't think people realize just how big these robots are.

Razertoday.jpg

Wish it came back. Still think Tornado team cheated when they used the 'anti-Razer' cage no matter what anyone says :)

I did as well when younger, though it was a very clever design and deserved the win based on strategy. It was still flawed though as razer should have used the pit even if the cage stopped it from falling to the bottom - the fact that all its wheels would have been suspended in space would have given them the win.

It was the size of a Road Ahead Closed sign, shockingly enough. It just weighed far less than later ones.

Back