Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Pardon the double post, found out today that Alan Gribble, team member of Pussycat and father to Pussycat's main driver the late Robert Gribble who famous died in a motorcycle accident in 2001, died last November from Bowel Cancer. And also that Steve Merrill, creator of Sir Chromalot, died three years ago from Cancer as well.

I've been indulging a lot in Robot Wars in the past week or so for the first in a while, which is why it's taken me so long to make these discoveries, and I came across this short video of a very rusty Stinger from 2010:

Good to know that Stinger, as well as most of the All-Star robots are still live and kicking (and in some cases still fighting)

One final point: Also found that Rex Garrod, creator of Recyclopse and Cassius, also created Brum!

I don't think the neighbours will be too pleased with Stinger's markings on the pavement. :lol:

I have just been watching YouTube videos of the games that were made about Robot Wars. Arenas of Destruction filled up a lot of my childhood actually.
Imagine how great the games would be if the series was still running and the games were still being made now.

I miss this show. Good to see some of the competitors are still working. :)

I think Extreme Destruction should be remade without all the glitches and a better physics engine. I always dreamed of a game with charted every series, and included every robot. You choose a robot to play as for each heat, and can therefore completely alter the outcome compared to reallife.

Also whilst I am thinking of it. If it was still running and you were in charge what rules would you change? I would allow flame throwers, blow torches and airsoft guns.

Although a blow torch could explode if it met an axe so maybe not.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with projectiles. They're far too dangerous, and basically useless as weapons. Sgt. Bash's flamethrower was rarely used for anything other than setting fire to Diotoir's fur since they're all made of metal and in most cases the electronics are well protected.

I think revisions needed to be done to the judge's decisions. There have been countless very unfair rulings. I don't think damaged sustained to a robot by the arena or a house robot should count in favour of it's opponent (unless say, they're pushed into a CPZ or the flame or angle grinder etc.). That's why Storm 2 rather unfairly lost the Series 7 grand final (Though it turns the producers didn't like the robot and were doing what they could to get rid of it). I would also make more restrictions for the house robots, or possibly remove them altogether. In the first two wars they served a good purpose as they provided obstacles for the trials and the gauntlet, and there were only a handful of robots that could stand up to them one on one. But by the later wars their virtually unchanged designs were vastly inferior to most of the competitor robots, and they did get in the way and disrupted a lot of fights and results. Refbot was vital though as before he arrived determining when a robot was immobilized was very subjective, and robots seemed to only be given a few seconds to move again before they decided they were out.

12509288_943074549113999_4461349144590193217_n.jpg

The house robots are still alive!

Can't believe they're still around.

Can you imagine what sorts of values the house bots will have for collectors if the show ever ends?

They're all kept in storage somewhere in London, still owned by their original maker, Chris Reynolds. Roaming Robots, who have managed to keep the Robot Wars competitions going (though they're no longer televised) have a cast of Matilda's shell from which they've managed to manufacture their own version of her, and they've also built this:

latest

Major Damage, based off Mr Psycho (naturally), but weighing 1 ton, which a 10 ton crushing arm (more powerful than Razer's) and a 40 kg hammer (Psycho's was 30).

Considering how they much they originally cost to build, they're probably worth a lot more now (Killalot and Psycho especially), though the BBC has often snatched various components from them that they've needed for other stuff, so they're probably only partially operational.

Holy crap, I remember watching the hell out of this on PBS here in the US and loved it. One of my favorite ones was that one with that downward facing blade that sqeezed other robots (I think it was call "Razor").

Always amazed me as a kid how big the robots actually were when they went back to the pits, you never got the sense of scale in the arena.

The first time Sir Killalot fell into a pit, it took 6 men to lift him out.

---

Some of my favourites back in the day (apart from Philippa Forrester) were Hypnodisc, Roadblock and Panic Attack... but Chaos 2 rises above them all as an absolute winner.

Yeah, Chaos 2 has always been my favourite, shame that like virtually every robot that appeared on the show it almost certainly won't return for this reboot, as the robots have evolved so much in the past 13 years that the originals are basically obsolete. Off the top of my head the only ones that still fight in more or less the same form that they were in the show are Behemoth, Storm 2, S.M.I.D.S.Y., Big Nipper, Bulldog Breed, Tough as Nails and Stinger.

My memories will come flooding back. :D

Also I wonder if they can produce a bug free game based on the new series. :lol:

Dantomkia was my favourite ever since it flipped Chaos 2 out of the arena.

It was awesome to watch that heat again on Friday. (6pm on Challenge they're showing Series 6 at the moment)

I despised hypnodisc. Everything else just flipped the other robot, or put some dents in it, or put a hole or two in it, so they could be patched up and come back to fight again. Hypnodisc completely destroyed them and left them in bits all over the arena. That's not really in the spirit of knights in one on one combat.

Dantomkia was my favourite ever since it flipped Chaos 2 out of the arena.

It was awesome to watch that heat again on Friday. (6pm on Challenge they're showing Series 6 at the moment)

Dantomkia was one of my least favourites precisely because of that, Chaos 2 was definitely past its prime at that point, but Shunt backing it into the corner didn't help. Dantomkia threw virtually everyone out of the arena at some point, but it never worked when it needed to.

I initially couldn't stand Chaos 2, until they won their first title, the team was lovely, it was well-driven, well-engineered, everyone respected them, and even though it was aesy to push around and not particularly strong it could still hold its own against the very best.

I despised hypnodisc. Everything else just flipped the other robot, or put some dents in it, or put a hole or two in it, so they could be patched up and come back to fight again. Hypnodisc completely destroyed them and left them in bits all over the arena. That's not really in the spirit of knights in one on one combat.

Hypno-Disc is probably the single most popular robot in the history of the show. It was tough on their opponents, certainly, but my god was it good to watch! Their method of destruction was far more dramatic that that of Razer for example, who would slowly, but in a very controlled manner gradually puncher holes in the robot until they hit a motor or a speed controller (or in the case of Milly-Ann Bug, pull all four wheels off). Had the two ever fought each other (which nearly happened on several occasions), Hypno-Disc would have won, no question...assuming they got the first hit in.

Razer was by far my least favourite robot, because barring mechanical issues they were genuinely impossible to beat. The only robots to ever defeat them in open combat were Pussycat and Tornado, Pussycat managing to knock their wheel bearings out, and Tornado because they put an enormous frame around the robot that meant Razer couldn't touch them, and they were also too large to go down the pit. They won every competition under the Sun, virtually every fight they did was the same, and the only really notable ones were the ones they lost.

Hypno-Disc is probably the single most popular robot in the history of the show. It was tough on their opponents, certainly, but my god was it good to watch! Their method of destruction was far more dramatic that that of Razer for example, who would slowly, but in a very controlled manner gradually puncher holes in the robot until they hit a motor or a speed controller (or in the case of Milly-Ann Bug, pull all four wheels off). Had the two ever fought each other (which nearly happened on several occasions), Hypno-Disc would have won, no question...assuming they got the first hit in.
They always seemed to take it too far. The other robot was damaged and not moving, yet they would still hit it. Stealth was only able to spin on it's own axis by just over a minute. It was dead by 1:32. Yet they still hit it with the disc 6 more times whilst the smug git driver, whose face you would never tire of hitting with a shovel, was grinning like a mad eejit.

And this is not a solitary incident. There is more evidence of necro-pugilislm (made up word) on the tube of you.

The iconic entertainment show will return as a 6x60’ series and will feature a new structure with more robots, more battles and more science than ever before.

I AM THE MOST EXCITED THAT ANY HUMAN BEING HAS EVER BEEN ABOUT ANYTHING.

1) This is my favourite.
2) 'George Francis' is my acting style.

Probably the biggest part of my childhood all things considered. And it's coming back! I mean damn that's great.

Hypno-Disc was always my favourite. Still have the DVD for them as well. Don't know where all my pullbacks are though...

They always seemed to take it too far. The other robot was damaged and not moving, yet they would still hit it. Stealth was only able to spin on it's own axis by just over a minute. It was dead by 1:32. Yet they still hit it with the disc 6 more times whilst the smug git driver, whose face you would never tire of hitting with a shovel, was grinning like a mad eejit.

*video*

And this is not a solitary incident. There is more evidence of necro-pugilislm (made up word) on the tube of you.

You're welcome.

Great that it's coming back, hope they do it right. I always liked the Robot teams that wanted to win but didn't take themselves or the competition too seriously, they were there to have fun with their Robots and hopefully win, but no big deal if they didn't. Never liked Tornado, especially when they did the infamous frame 'exploit'. It may have been within the rules but it sucked the big one.

Hypnodisc was an impressive robot but the guys running it were definitely douchebags who took it all too seriously.

Plunderbird, Wheely Big Cheese, Nemesis/Diotor etc. That's what you want.

Back