ROC - FC Edition: FINAL ROUND Specifics (FINISHED)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 106 comments
PART 2 - the final part

First lap – the rest of the first lap I was just trying to calm down and not make any silly mistake. Coming to finish the first lap I had a less than 2 secs gap to Pietr, unfortunately in the last corner at La Source I braked to late and lost over 1 sec and Pietr closed the gap to less than 1 sec.

Second lap started - it was an awesome lap for me I managed to run a 2:20.02 which was pretty quick and Pietr might have done in the mid 2:21- because the gap was approaching 3 secs. I think the second lap decided the race because Pietr knew he had to risk more and got faster but unfortunately after starting the 3rd lap he got a penalty at Eau Rouge. I saw that and just thought – ok I just have to keep it clean now the gap has gone to 11 secs so all I need to do is run in the 2:21s/2:22s even if he runs in the 2:20s he will get me only in the final laps – so this is how I started racing from lap 3. But theory is one thing and I was fighting myself trying to take Eau Rouge flat-out or braking at the last possible sec approaching the Bus Stop. Slowly I found the 1:21s/1:22s pace and when I saw that the gap was actually increasing I knew Pietr was over pushing his car trying to close the gap that also helped me.

The gap was increasing slightly every lap and that’s how things stayed until I started the last lap. I had 16 secs advantage but I just took it home in the last lap finishing 15.5 secs ahead of Pietr. It’s amazing how psychological this race was well at least for me I just imagine how things are for real ex. for F-1 drivers, it’s not all about speed but keeping your head in place and I see this with Piquet. He is an awesome driver undoubtedly the fastest Brazilian racer since the Senna Era but he’s still struggling in F1. I felt a lot of pressure and felt some weird feelings for the first couple of laps.

I want to thank first of all Mário for putting this championship together, every racer I raced and all those who took part.

zedux-320x240-3.jpg

Nice writeup, Zedux. And you are absolutely right, speed is not enough, in long races you rarely need to go 100%, you just have to be able to do it when needed, and learn how to drive safely at 95% and keep it that way lap after lap for a long period of time.

Fangio was a master at that, and we all know what he achieved (his greatest achievement being, of course, getting out of F1 alive and unharmed after a brilliant career that lasted several years).

Interesting what you say about Piquet Jr.

Great race summary, 👍 I am glad I didn't get to the end, lol. I don't think I could keep that kind of pace at Spa!
Congrats to Zedux, and thanks to Hun for organising this, even if I didn't participate to the end.

I have to defend Rubens Barrichello though....why does it seem to me he is being somewhat forgotten or disowned? The guy isn't a bad driver at all and at the famous race considered as Senna's best, he was also up there in 3rd place at one point if it wasn't for a fuel problem!

Ardius - unfortunately you can't speak portuguese otherwise you would understand the comments in Brazil's top 2 blogs on F-1 about Barrichello. Anyway here is the link you can try using google. http://teojose.zip.net/ http://fabioseixas.folha.blog.uol.com.br/ click on comentários you can try using google to translate.

Mário - Piquet drove for Emerson Fittipaldi in his A1GP Brasil team. Emerson said he never saw such talent in the last 20 years. Keep in mind Piquet (Senior) and Emerson are not good friends at all normally they speak only bad things on the other! Nelson A. Piquet has won everything he has taken part at all categories only GP2 he was second to Hamilton but that Piquet had many retirements in that season plus the fact Hamilton had the best car and Piquet's car was not even top 3 teams still Hamilton only won in the last race of the season! So Piquet's talent in Brazil and among experts are unquestionable but his head is playing a big role since he joined F-1. He could had gone to Toro Rosso or BWM this year but he choose to still drive along side Alonso, if he and his people were not sure about his talent they wouldn't have stayed. Last race was his best race ever in F-1 not for the position he finished but the way he raced. Simonds and Briatore were very happy with him and his pace was better than Alonso's and amazingly Alonso said last race was his best in 2 years!

Last edited:
I realise how well rated Piquet is, but thats not what I mean. How can he be considered faster than Rubens? He hasn't proven it in F1 yet and I have doubts he ever will. As has been proven, time and time again, good drivers in other categories or series are not always so brilliant in F1, even with the argument of poor machinery, better teammates or unsupportive teams. There are many examples, from Deletraz to McNish.

Piquet has had more than enough time to prove his place in F1 and he has so far failed utterly. His Bahrain effort was great, and a step back in the right direction, but one race rarely saves your career. If he keeps it up and manages to start at least keeping pace with Alonso, fine. But I am yet to see this happen beyond flashes from race to race. He simply isn't good enough in qualifying nor consistent enough in races.

I find it shocking that from what I can see and hear, Rubens has basically been left out in the cold by a lot of his fans. Now I see he is being forgotten in favour of drivers who haven't even proven their potential yet, perhaps it is no wonder that Rubens is doing well (relative to his teammate) and Piquet not when he has no such pressure of fans waiting for victories anymore.

I have no doubts in my mind that Piquet has not had the fairest shot at F1, seeing as he is driving under Flavio and teammate to Alonso. But at the same time, this would surely have given him plenty of space to drive at his own pace and at least keep pace with his teammate. Its not like he is expected to beat Alonso - in which case he would be worried about his seat, so I see a lot of his suffering right now as self-inflicted. He wouldn't have so much pressure if he had at least been a consistent finisher rather than spinning and crashing so much.

His 10th place finish was good and his defending against Barrichello was great too, much improved form. But his problem isn't speed, it seems to be consistencey, if he can't deal with pressure then he isn't going to get any easier right now especially because in Spain many teams are expecting updates to their cars.

Sorry for derailing the thread lol - this probably should be a topic in the F1 subforum, it is a hot topic right now anyway.

Last edited:
How can he be considered faster than Rubens? He hasn't proven it in F1 yet and I have doubts he ever will. As has been proven, time and time again, good drivers in other categories or series are not always so brilliant in F1, even with the argument of poor machinery, better teammates or unsupportive teams.

You are looking at Piquet the same way most people are you think he lacks speed (if you lack speed you can't be consistently fast) that's clear from what you wrote! But that's not where the issue is with him. Bourdaus is a case of lack of speed Piquet not. Have you payed attention to Friday's practice lap times in 2008 and 2009? Have you payed attention to Piquet's best lap sectors compared to his team mate?

You can continue to analise the situation like you are right now but that won't change the fact Piquet is very very quick but the problem is in his head. You are comparing how many points he has compared to his team mate! You are comparing where in the grid is he starting races compared to his team matte! How many races he finished compared to his team matte! You are just comparing you ain't trying to understand what's going on!

Do you seriously think Piquet would be sitting in Renault's F-1 team seat if he was another Nakajima (Toyota gives Williams over 10 million discount for that)? Another Bourdais (Red Bull's marketing in France)? Or some other? Briatore was more than happy to let Kovailanen go after his first year! Renault is paying Piquet his not backed like Hamilton was by Ron, like Vetel is by Red Bull!

If you want to look into Piquet's matter from "a lack of speed point" fine but you won't have the opportunity to see the truth!

Last edited:
If you read the rest of my post you would have seen I wasn't commenting on his lack of speed....I was commenting in that first paragraph how Rubens has suddenly become forgotten so easily and how he can be overlooked as being faster or slower than Piquet so easily.

I made the point about 5 times I think about his problem being consistencey. I'm not going to continue the derailment of this thread here though if you want to continue this discussion, I'll make a thread in the F1 subforum.

If you read the rest of my post you would have seen I wasn't commenting on his lack of speed....I was commenting in that first paragraph how Rubens has suddenly become forgotten so easily and how he can be overlooked as being faster or slower than Piquet so easily.

I made the point about 5 times I think about his problem being consistencey. I'm not going to continue the derailment of this thread here though if you want to continue this discussion, I'll make a thread in the F1 subforum.

No need as I'm not trying to win this :dopey: but speaking about the devil he just showed up :nervous: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f-1/textos/9996/ use google to translate it it's today's!!! Another problem with Nelson A. Piquet is that his father Nelson Piquet is a hard person with strong personality. He sent Piquet to F-1 and just left the boy there for the snakes! Only this year from the second race he's taking a more active roll helping Piquet. I can guarantee you now with his father there to help with all F-1 politics and support you will start to see some major improvements on track!

About Rubens sorry but he's a disgrace to Brazil!! :yuck:

About Rubens sorry but he's a disgrace to Brazil!! :yuck:

May I ask how? I respect the man greatly, although he has his moments where him and the car don't work, I really like his personality and he has had some brilliant drives over the years. He put up with being number 2 for so long, then got sick and moved to Honda of all places. He was incredibly loyal to all the teams he's been in and he's consistent and fast. He doesn't give up and he has been the equal of most of his teammates over the years.

For me Rubens is the definition of an F1 driver. To say he disgraces your country baffles me. I respect him more than Lewis!

I read them both Zedux. Rubens is right, he is more liked elsewhere in the world than in his own country. About the guys saying that he is a disgrave because he is 2nd in the championship but the 1st is his own teammate (and saying that is Rubens trademark from the Schumacher era), I will say this:

In 1988, Senna and Prost had the dominant car (won 15 of 16 races). You know the standings after 4 races? 3 of them were won by Prost, Monaco included.

Of course Senna won the 4th of those races. But a bad start is in no way an indication of what comes ahead.

It's almost sad to see how Rubens is treated in Brasil. And I don't even think that will change if he wins this championship. Anyway, I won't comment this further here, all this discussion should happen in the Formula 1 forum.

In here, you are brasilian, you are the champion and you are recognized as such in the FC online community worldwide. More so than in Brasil! ;)

Last edited:
If you ask me I think that Rubens is a very good driver. I always liked him not just as a driver but as a man. He has a great personality. He is very likeable. I'm a big fan of J.Button so curent Brawn GP (which I also support) drivers are ideal for me.

As for N. Piquet Jr. I think that he can be quite fast but he lacks confidence and consistency. He need to improve fast if he want to stay in F1.

A bit of a thread-res, but I was thinking of making a (2nd) return to this game and I was wondering if anyone was interested in a new ROC? I may be up for organising it if needs be, but I'm more interested in just competing rather than organising nowadays.

Back