Rocket League

• Thread starter evanzo7
  • 862 comments
I see that season2 trail. You've been on this game for a while I see :embarrassed:

Yeah any unnecessary rotations is seen as freestyling.... hough it looks like you had to cut yours short because it was time to dodge forward, but technically still would be.
You know it. ;) I've played since the PS4 release, and have played ranked since the first season. I would have a bronze crown, but I was so bad that I managed to become unranked (because that was possible back then, for some reason).

And yeah, I would never attempt something like that unless I was absolutely certain the enemy team was in a bad position to contest. Sadly, many of my teammates don't think the same way. I've seen so many freestyle efforts that have resulted in hard clears to my side. That's probably because I play at the Gold 3/Plat 1 level, where many people overestimate their capability.

Where are you guy's in rank for each mode? My ranks:

1v1: None, I'm not a big fan of 1v1 games.

2v2: gold 2 division 3

3v3 solo standard: gold 1 division 1

3v3: silver 3 division 3

I'm trying to get to Platinum for one of these at least.

1v1: Bronze 2 I think? Haven't touched it since, like, March.

2v2: Gold 3, Division 4

Solo Standard: Gold 3, Division 1 or 2

3v3: Platinum 1, can't remember what division

I'm aiming for Platinum across all playlists, or Platinum 3 in at least one playlist.

Last edited:

1v1: Never tried, not my style.

2v2: Made platinum at one point after a brilliant night. I think I went back to gold 3 since, though.

3v3 solo: Mid-gold region.

3v3: Gold 3.

The new Monstercat soundtrack is amazing. It suits the game's tone perfectly.

I liked the games last soundtrack but Im glad to see it go. It was like glue on my brain.

Yeah, I'm a big fan as well. My favorite is "Break Away." Solid jam. So glad I don't have to hear that "Spell" song every time I start up the game anymore.

@Eks Available now?

M8h3r and I are playing right now. Anyone who wants is welcome to join.
Ahh, sorry gents, I ended up sleeping for most of the afternoon. :banghead:

I was dropping ranks in 2s because I was playing like it was 3s.

Plat 1, Plat 3, Plat 2-3, Diamond 2.

1s is so stressful because it is very strenuous on your car and ball control... the lack of teammates limits the risks you take and the plays you make, ultimately creating arguably the least exciting game mode. Most beginners shy away from this because of their inexperience in being solely responsible for attacking or defending. I'm okay with defending, but I don't have a decent dribble game to throw off opponents consistently.

2s.... 2s used to be my jam: enough teammates to cover you if you mess up, but not too many players so that you have room to still play a 1v1 game against the goalie. Also gives you more opportunities to wall air dribble. ;)

3s is now my jam because I really like making redirect shots whenever a defending teammate clears the ball upward. Doing 3s also means you have less opportunities to dribble successfully and slow the game down. If you got opponents constantly pressuring you to make moves quick, then the game often becomes a game of kicking the ball around (either through controlled passing play, or random kicking until either side whiffs or makes a bad touch).

Biggest thing you want to remember if you want to rank up quicker see better results is to be aware of where your teammates are and to consider who they can see from their POV (aka ball cam). You can't teach everyone in this game how to have less tunnel-vision, but I can at least tell you guys here.

Had a game where both my teammates were in net, and going up to block an aerial. Little did they know they were sitting parallel to each other the whole time so both of them likely thought they were the only ones in net.

Don't play parallel to each other relative to the ball's position. If you can see your partner's closer to the ball than you, let them have it (especially if you see the intention in their movements and position).

If you don't have a good angle on the ball, just let your teammates have it.

Last edited:
A concept that I wanna tell new players: "If you see your goal, your team mate, AND are driving towards the ball, you're doing something wrong. If the ball is already rolling towards your goal, don't help it by hitting it."

While I recognize there are certain strategies in driving towards the goal to clear the ball, or de-center it, I've had too many games where I've got a play to get the ball down field only to be foiled by my own team mate who's so laser-locked on the ball that he's putting right in our own goal.

I'd actually like to see some low-level replays just to see how bad this stuff really is. I forget how that stuff play out now that I've played for this long.

I'd actually like to see some low-level replays just to see how bad this stuff really is. I forget how that stuff play out now that I've played for this long.
I've got a few replays saved from early Season 4. I was around Bronze 3, so definitely low-level. I'll upload it after I finish my 3s games for the night. I'd like to see how Diamond 1s play myself. ;) The comparison could be interesting.

Edit: Here it is. I couldn't one from S4 Bronze, but I did find this one from Season 3's Prospect 1. Close enough.

It's got everything you could ask for. Default camera settings, ball chasing (and missing), abysmal positioning, quick-chat spam, and forfeiting!

Last edited:
The lack of awareness of team member positioning is a detriment to the team's defense and rotation, because you're all only concerned with the ball. Also driving in front of your teammate just to go for the ball drove me up the wall! :banghead:

Also, this reminds me: @Snaeper, dodge forward to move around faster! You and tate don't do enough of that when you're not in a play.

Traded 5 crates for the Octane ZSR today. So happy I finally have it. :lol: It's the only premo car I want right now so didn't mind handing them over. Don't really buy keys. Though I've heard the beta gold nugget I have can fetch quite a few of those.

Trading community is mega busy, within 5 minutes on a Facebook group someone was happy to do the trade!

The lack of awareness of team member positioning is a detriment to the team's defense and rotation, because you're all only concerned with the ball. Also driving in front of your teammate just to go for the ball drove me up the wall! :banghead:

Also, this reminds me: @Snaeper, dodge forward to move around faster! You and tate don't do enough of that when you're not in a play.

I know all about dodging forward. But if I do too much of it I end up going beserk and flying around the map like a pinball.

I know all about dodging forward. But if I do too much of it I end up going beserk and flying around the map like a pinball.

3 gets you to super sonic.

Most efficient way to get up to speed is to boost for about a second, and then use your dodge. If done with just the right amount of boost, the flip gets your into supersonic. Takes about 20-something boost I think.

You won't go pinballing around the place, but at least this lets you play faster by getting closest to the ball soonest, opening up the most opportunities to win challenges, redirects or making intercepts.

Once you start picking up the flow of a match with your team mates, it becomes more intuitive when to go in and when to back out. And it's not always one person's fault if the flow doesn't feel right, it primarily means the team is not aligned in a staggered rotation.

Last edited:
Eks
Ahh, sorry gents, I ended up sleeping for most of the afternoon. :banghead:

No problem, no problem, no problem, chat disabled for 1 second................. me and @Jawehawk said we'd do it again another time so next time you're welcome to join too.

I also scored this, totally ment to do it :sly:

Eks
I've got a few replays saved from early Season 4. I was around Bronze 3, so definitely low-level. I'll upload it after I finish my 3s games for the night. I'd like to see how Diamond 1s play myself. ;) The comparison could be interesting.

Edit: Here it is. I couldn't one from S4 Bronze, but I did find this one from Season 3's Prospect 1. Close enough.

It's got everything you could ask for. Default camera settings, ball chasing (and missing), abysmal positioning, quick-chat spam, and forfeiting!

That actually looks a whole lot like how I'd play, except I use more boost and follow the ball less. :dopey:

And what kinda name is Transgender Gorilla Activist? :D PC players, man...

^I still don't have a full understanding of what qualifies as a turtle in this game.

And what kinda name is Transgender Gorilla Activist? :D PC players, man...

When you have the convenience of renaming yourself indefinitely on Steam, people come up with whole sentences or statements as a username.

^I still don't have a full understanding of what qualifies as a turtle in this game.

When you have the convenience of renaming yourself indefinitely on Steam, people come up with whole sentences or statements as a username.
I think it counted as a turtle because he was (almost) upside down at the time of the ball entering the goal. The hit certainly didn't look turtle.

That being said, I wanna be on @m8h3r 's team someday. :dopey:

I think it counted as a turtle because he was (almost) upside down at the time of the ball entering the goal. The hit certainly didn't look turtle.

I'm going to test that when I have a chance.

But any upside-down aerials that everyone does never counts as turtle. Maybe your car body has to be close (if not fully contacting) the ground as well.

I'm going to test that when I have a chance.

But any upside-down aerials that everyone does never counts as turtle. Maybe your car body has to be close (if not fully contacting) the ground as well.
The description does say "while laying on your back" which implies that it doesn't count if you're in the air.

Good to know, but I have witnessed in person turtle goals while someone was in the air... so I'm going to get that tested. Oh boy- something to look forward to doing.

1v1: LOL, nope!
2v2: Gold D2
3v3: Platinum D2 #carried
4v4: LOL, nope!

Jerome

There is no ranked version of 4s!

That is great to hear, I never paid attention to the 4s, I tried it once when it first came out, but then.....triggered.

Jerome

That is great to hear, I never paid attention to the 4s, I tried it once when it first came out, but then.....triggered.

Jerome

Yeah Snaeper made me play 4s yesterday. I was expecting to not have any boost to pick up given the sheer number of players on stage, but I guess I was being the other player who was grabbing them all before others :D

Back