Rocket League

• Thread starter evanzo7
  • 862 comments
I'm meeting everyone from Rookie to Legend and Master in casual.

I've played against plenty of rocketeers that can barely hit a ball, and plenty of rookies that could give Kronovi a run for his money. They are just words and bare no relation to how well you play, just how much you have played.

Skill in this game is about time spent more than any game I've ever played before. But regardless, the point is that there are a lot of absurdly good players who just ruin it for everyone else in casual. The kind of players who never miss a hit, and can air juggle the ball all day long.

You seem to have a lot of beef with this game, if you don't like it this much I suggest moving on.

I've never heard anyone complain that games have been ruined for them because others are simply better at it, if you want to compete with those guys then learn to hit the ball every time, learn to air dribble then you will have no cause for complaint. I loath to use the phrase but 'git gud' if it annoys you that much. Or play ranked where, unless you get the occasional smurf, everyone should be at your level.

You seem to have a lot of beef with this game, if you don't like it this much I suggest moving on.

I've never heard anyone complain that games have been ruined for them because others are simply better at it, if you want to compete with those guys then learn to hit the ball every time, learn to air dribble then you will have no cause for complaint. I loath to use the phrase but 'git gud' if it annoys you that much. Or play ranked where, unless you get the occasional smurf, everyone should be at your level.

Thankfully, there are no rules here that state that I, or anyone else, can't express negative opinions about a game, or anything else for that matter. You put a lot of faith into the non functional matchmaking system of this game. Perhaps your experiences are just that much different from mine.

And no, I won't spend the time required to master the game, because I have other commitments in life. I'm not complaining about the existence of people who are better than me, but rather, I'm complaining about having to play with or against people who suck all the fun out of a game that I perceive as being inherently silly and not at all serious. Rocket League is at its best when people aren't great at it.

And no one should ever have to put up with criticism, however constructive it may be, in a video game. Its a game, not a job.

The phrase "get good" is, I think, best countered by get a life. That isn't directed at you, but rather to the people who just have nothing better to do than to get really good at a videogame, and, and this is an important and BTW, then feel the need to complain about or criticise others who aren't good and lack the inclination or time to become good.

Last edited:
... the point is that there are a lot of absurdly good players who just ruin it for everyone else in casual. The kind of players who never miss a hit, and can air juggle the ball all day long.

Sounds to me like you are indeed complaining about the existence of them.

If your not willing to put the effort in then suck it up, there's nothing you can do about the matchmaking (apart from playing ranked) but there is plenty you can do to improve yourself. How do you think they got that good in the first place? Oh yeah because they don't have a life apparently.

Sounds to me like you are indeed complaining about the existence of them.

If your not willing to put the effort in then suck it up, there's nothing you can do about the matchmaking (apart from playing ranked) but there is plenty you can do to improve yourself. How do you think they got that good in the first place? Oh yeah because they don't have a life apparently.

I was just about to say that you ignored the part that came after the "and" even after I explicitly said that that part was important, but, upon inspection, I realise I put it in the wrong place in the sentence. My bad, and I apologize for that.

I should clarify my original comment, because it wasn't so much targeting the game itself, although the matchmaking in the game is certainly deserving of its own rant on its own, but rather, and I realise I've been abysmal at making that clear, it was a response to AOS's last comment, specifically this one part.

I've tried this. It never sinks into their head. Constructive feedback only works on the more matured players.

We all know AOS is really good at the game, but here's the thing. That does not mean that you have some form of prerogative to give other people feedback, no matter how constructive it might be. It's a game. Most people play to have fun, not to become gods at it. And frankly, giving out feedback to people that you don't know in an online videogame strikes me as somewhat, 'for lack of a better word, arrogant, even if the intentions are good.

AOS clearly has a very different mindset to this game than I do. Now, of course, his mindset is no more objectively wrong or right than mine, and I don't want to at all suggest anything like that. If anything, as the game is now, you could probably argue that his mindset is more correct than my own. But when he takes it upon himself to give other people feedback without having been asked to do so, that just really rubs me the wrong way. It's making it into something serious. It's making it into work, rather than a silly game where you drive a vehicle into a ball. And worse, it's setting an expectation on others regarding their skill level. They might not care about the finer points of the game. They might simply want to have fun. having the internet as a filter only makes it worse, because even the most neutral sentence can come off as hostile or passive aggressive because you lack a facial expression or tone to attach to what is being said. Meaning that otherwise constructive feedback can easily take the form, intended or not, of unfriendly advice, or worse. In any case, giving unwanted advice to a stranger for something as trivial as a video game just isn't okay. Or at least so I think.

Now, I don't understand the need to make gaming this ultra serious competitive thing, But I know that a lot of people like this aspect. The problem then, isn't that these people exist, although preferably, the game would and should filter these people from the less serious in a better way than what is currently being done, but rather, the problem is that these people will then hold other people up to their standards of skill and involvement. I'd argue that so long as people are actively participating in the game that they entered, then that is all they need to do.

Finally, I should perhaps note that I am not at all suggesting that AOS is anywhere remotely near the toxic level of what you'll find in games such as DOTA or LoL, just to give some examples. But giving out unwanted advice to strangers does resemble that kind of elitist attitude, albeit at a much, much lesser degree.

But yeah, my original post in this particular debate wasn't geared at the game, so much as it was towards AOS's comment. Sorry for not being transparent about that.

Sure it's only a few minutes per game but to have people quitting left right and centre when all you want is a decent game is frustrating beyond belief.

I used to be stubborn when getting the snot beaten out of me against players who are dramatically better than I am. I'd stay in the room to fight them longer to see if I can find solutions to plays they make that I don't get put against with lesser-skilled players. I don't spend a majority of my time telling people how to play. Nowadays I only issue out advice if the player actually wants to hear it.

I personally love having people provide advice. Sometimes I can't identify my own mistakes, so it's extremely appreciated when someone takes the time to tell me about where I can see improvement. I don't see it as arrogance if the intent is to educate and not about flaunting one's knowledge. (so much grey area here)

try hards.

I really dislike the use of that word. I find that the use of this word implies many things from the person saying it:

1) Players who put more effort into the game than you deserve to be ridiculed.... like it's a crime or something....
2) If you beat those players who put in that amount of effort (enough for you to label them as Tryhards), you would most likely not be calling them such.
3) If a player's goal was to get good at the game, and this is the result, then it's not their fault that they beat you. They work for those results.
4) Their objective in the game may not be the same as yours. My way of having fun is to continually improve my game, and I don't see any reason why it's my problem if your goals are different.

And more often times than not, it's always people who do very badly themselves who call other people out for their loss.

I get that it's not nice to make fun of someone if you're better than them, but it's completely stupid to name-call someone who's better than you... where is the logic in that even?

Skill in this game is about time spent more than any game I've ever played before. But regardless, the point is that there are a lot of absurdly good players who just ruin it for everyone else in casual. The kind of players who never miss a hit, and can air juggle the ball all day long.

I disagree with that first statement. Skill is about how well you process and calculate the timing of you making contact with the ball. How much boost do I need to aim to the right; how much boost do I need pointing up; and if I take this path, will I be early or late when reaching the ball? Some people get this down in less than 1000 hours. It took me longer than that to get this into my head.

And honestly, if you happen to get bunched up with people who play better than you, I'd go and find another room. Simple as. No one's forcing you to stay, hence why I don't stay if my team don't work well together against them!

And frankly, giving out feedback to people that you don't know in an online videogame strikes me as somewhat, 'for lack of a better word, arrogant, even if the intentions are good.

Well... I guess that comes down to how you choose to take it, or what you want to take away from it. I've grown up being taught and corrected when I make mistakes. That's a lifestyle practice that makes sense to me. I like well-intended feedback. Disliking feedback is arguably seen as arrogant when seen in another light.

But when he takes it upon himself to give other people feedback without having been asked to do so, that just really rubs me the wrong way. It's making it into something serious.
This I get. I totally get. I hate it when people shove their close-minded methods of playing down my throat when they don't see the flaws of their own play.

If I get hella mad and rant, that's not justified and I really shouldn't be spending minutes hammering away at the keyboard. But like I said before, we take feedback differently, and in the interest of playing the safe route, I simply don't say anything anymore.

Now, I don't understand the need to make gaming this ultra serious competitive thing, But I know that a lot of people like this aspect.
What? You mean you didn't know a lot of people play video games to prove to themselves they're capable of being good at something? I play games because it's fun and because I want to be good at it. Many people don't. But many people do. Can't deny that. Did you learn how to dribble, flick, pass or block? Why? Because you wanted to get good... or at least better than you were before. That seems reasonably sound, does it not?

I'm really just trying to understand the basis of that way of thinking. I have a hard time making sense of it.

I used to be stubborn when getting the snot beaten out of me against players who are dramatically better than I am. I'd stay in the room to fight them longer to see if I can find solutions to plays they make that I don't get put against with lesser-skilled players. I don't spend a majority of my time telling people how to play. Nowadays I only issue out advice if the player actually wants to hear it.

Regardless of the reasons I think a penalty system should be put in, or maybe a fair play system run on points could work, the more you quit mid match the lower your score out of 100. Players could then be matched on their skill level and points level.
It would go some way to even the field and make it fairer for those who do actually see out games as they will be matched with like minded people. I've just come off now after playing a few unranked matches and I didn't finish a single match without people leaving, even in ranked it's a problem I've found.

Okay, This just basically confirms you are looking for reasons to complain... Have you ever played COD, Battlefield, Destiny hell even games like gran turismo online. There are always people that are going to be absurdly good at the game. I struggle to see why this is a problem specifically with Rocket League?

Okay, This just basically confirms you are looking for reasons to complain... Have you ever played COD, Battlefield, Destiny hell even games like gran turismo online. There are always people that are going to be absurdly good at the game. I struggle to see why this is a problem specifically with Rocket League?

You sure are selective of what parts of a post you feel like reading.

Regardless of the reasons I think a penalty system should be put in, or maybe a fair play system run on points could work, the more you quit mid match the lower your score out of 100. Players could then be matched on their skill level and points level.

So let's say you have 100 skill points, and I have 300. You have 100 of those other points, and I have 30 because I leave a lot. What numbers would the game be looking or when pairing up people in a game?

It would go some way to even the field and make it fairer for those who do actually see out games as they will be matched with like minded people. I've just come off now after playing a few unranked matches and I didn't finish a single match without people leaving, even in ranked it's a problem I've found.

Completely irrelevant to the whole topic of the system, but are your teammates leaving, or is it the other side? Have you noticed a pattern of when people leave?

So let's say you have 100 skill points, and I have 300. You have 100 of those other points, and I have 30 because I leave a lot. What numbers would the game be looking or when pairing up people in a game?

It could get a player base initially matched through skill, and then from that group match on the fair play points. So you are still playing against people that are at your level, and people within blocks of ten in the fair play points maybe. I'm not a game developer it's just a potential way to solve the problem, which it undeniably is.

Completely irrelevant to the whole topic of the system, but are your teammates leaving, or is it the other side? Have you noticed a pattern of when people leave?

I just don't get the mentality of joining a game and leaving halfway through because as you say players have different mindsets, whatever that means. Or if you go one or two goals down, or if you mess up and rage quit immediately, what's the points in coming online and joining games to leave a minute in?
And what about those players that are left? I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have everyone leave mid game leaving you with bots or ending the game completely. It's ruining 75% percent of the games I join, like I said earlier I played a bunch of games and on this occasion I didn't finish a single game without someone quitting.
You can't sit there and tell me it's not a problem.

You sure are selective of what parts of a post you feel like reading.

I read everything...

The gist i got was that you were bumping into higher skilled players and you didn't like it... And that anybody that's better than you plays the game to much and they need to get a life.... Am I wrong in that assumption?

Last edited:
I read everything...

The gist i got was that you were bumping into higher skilled players and you didn't like it... And that anybody that's better than you plays the game to much and they need to get a life.... I'm I wrong in that assumption?

Wrong. I don't want to play with or against them myself, and I consider devoting that much time to something so trivial without real world applications to be a waste of time, but I accept and respect that they exist. I just don't understand them, and, as I've said earlier, I don't think it's okay for them to extend advice to total strangers when not asked.

Wrong. I don't want to play with or against them myself, and I consider devoting that much time to something so trivial without real world applications to be a waste of time, but I accept and respect that they exist. I just don't understand them, and, as I've said earlier, I don't think it's okay for them to extend advice to total strangers when not asked.

Yet you put aside so much time in your life to constantly complain about a game you clearly don't enjoy. It's just puzzling....

Your rant about micro transactions was more coherent then this and that was solved by just telling you to ignore it like any normal person would. This latest grumble from you just seems like you don't like people being better than you whether on your team or against. Makes no sense whatsoever....

Last edited:
Yet you put aside so much time in your life to constantly complain about a game you clearly don't enjoy. It's just puzzling....

Your rant about micro transactions was more coherent then this and that was solved by just telling you to ignore it like any normal person would. This latest grumble from you just seems like you don't like people being better than you whether on your team or against. Makes no sense whatsoever....

And you put aside time to complain about people complaining. I'm very vocal about my opinions, partially because I like debating them with people who are of a different opinions, and partially because I have some form of need to express them. Just like you clearly have a need to express your displeasure at other people posting their opinions. Similar to how you think I could and should simply ignore the various problems, so too could you ignore my posts. But you don't, because on some level, you care enough to voice your disagreement with them. I'm the same way when it comes to Rocket League.

And you put aside time to complain about people complaining. I'm very vocal about my opinions, partially because I like debating them with people who are of a different opinions, and partially because I have some form of need to express them. Just like you clearly have a need to express your displeasure at other people posting their opinions. Similar to how you think I could and should simply ignore the various problems, so too could you ignore my posts. But you don't, because on some level, you care enough to voice your disagreement with them. I'm the same way when it comes to Rocket League.

I'm not complaining about your complaining... I'm merely questioning it. Trying to understand the point you are trying to make and for the life of me.... Even reading through your long drawn out posts I don't get it. You are misreading my replies as displeasure to your opinions it's not. It's just disagreement.

And half the time, not even that.. I get you have problems with the game I get it's not a game for everyone, Just stuff like complaining about higher skilled players is odd..... We all have to deal with better players than ourselves time to time. It's a fact of online games that people can take them seriously even get really good. Why is this specific to rocket league?

It just seems the problem you have is with Online Gaming as a whole and not in particular Rocket League.

Last edited:
It's the tone of both your replies that make this look more and more like a petty argument. Well, that's how I'm seeing it anyhow.

This game is so much fun when your partner knows how to do a hard clear.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining about your complaining... I'm merely questioning it. Trying to understand the point you are trying to make and for the life of me.... Even reading through your long drawn out posts I don't get it. You are misreading my replies as displeasure to your opinions it's not. It's just disagreement.

And half the time, not even that.. I get you have problems with the game I get it's not a game for everyone, Just stuff like complaining about higher skilled players is odd..... We all have to deal with better players than ourselves time to time. It's a fact of online games that people can take them seriously even get really good. Why is this specific to rocket league?

It's not specific to Rocket League, although, I'd argue that Rocket League as a concept is quite silly, and really doesn't render itself well to that kind of seriousness. I've said this before too. I've also already stated that I think Rocket League has developed into something more serious, primarily as a result of some of the players. Besides, my complaint was not geared towards higher skilled players, but rather, higher skilled players who take it upon themselves to try and "elevate" others up to their level without thinking about whether said people even wished for that to happen, and then not understanding why some people might even lash out when they try to do so. I've already stated as much, while at the same time making it clear that I do think the game needs to be better at separating the highly skilled from the lesser ones in casual.

Aside from my initial lack of transparency, I think I've made my points very clear? This is a Rocket League thread, so of course I am limiting what I'm saying to that game, but the problem is probably reinforced by the fact that I personally perceive the game as inherently silly, and thus not deserving of that kind of devotion. Of course not everyone shares that view.

Quitting games that are lopsided isn't a fix. It just creates a new problem where few if any games consist of full teams. That's not a good solution.

It's the tone of both your replies that make this look more and more like a petty argument.

There's nothing petty about it at all I'm merely pointing out a genuine problem I find with the game, and it seems you can't defend doing it seeing as you haven't directly answered any of my questions.

It's not specific to Rocket League, although, I'd argue that Rocket League as a concept is quite silly, and really doesn't render itself well to that kind of seriousness. I've said this before too. I've also already stated that I think Rocket League has developed into something more serious, primarily as a result of some of the players. Besides, my complaint was not geared towards higher skilled players, but rather, higher skilled players who take it upon themselves to try and "elevate" others up to their level without thinking about whether said people even wished for that to happen, and then not understanding why some people might even lash out when they try to do so. I've already stated as much, while at the same time making it clear that I do think the game needs to be better at separating the highly skilled from the lesser ones in casual.

Aside from my initial lack of transparency, I think I've made my points very clear? This is a Rocket League thread, so of course I am limiting what I'm saying to that game, but the problem is probably reinforced by the fact that I personally perceive the game as inherently silly, and thus not deserving of that kind of devotion. Of course not everyone shares that view.

Quitting games that are lopsided isn't a fix. It just creates a new problem where few if any games consist of full teams. That's not a good solution.

Your original post I replied to was clearly a complaint of higher level players apparently ruining your experience. I have not entered into the discussion about the unwanted advice. I also didnt mention quitting games as a solution...

And regarding Rocket League being silly in concept? I bet the 10 teams battling for $150k in prize money right now in the RLCS would beg to differ.:lol:

There's nothing petty about it at all I'm merely pointing out a genuine problem I find with the game, and it seems you can't defend doing it seeing as you haven't directly answered any of my questions.

Sorry if I mislead you. This wasn't directed at you.

But in any case, while I don't disagree that it's a problem, I may lack any merit in my words when I myself am the one who decides to exit out when the score is 0-5.

I don't think there is much point in defending what I do now that we've come this far. I guess the only thing I can say is: when I have the convenience of finding a brand new game to play, at the chance I could find some decent people (not limited to their skill level), why would I feel obliged to take part of an in-progress game when the score is 2-8 and I can see why after a few minutes how they score came to be?

To me, the most enjoyable games are ones where you're neither dominating without effort or struggling hopelessly, where teams are fairly equal in overall skill-level combined, and no one's being a jerk.

Yeah it's not good sportsmanship... can ya really hate on a guy just because he wants that?

edit: just left a game I joined. 2:35 min, 0-5. 1 guy, 0 points, + bot. Really can't justify staying for a game like that.

Last edited:

My bad

Yeah it's not good sportsmanship... can ya really hate on a guy just because he wants that?

edit: just left a game I joined. 2:35 min, 0-5. 1 guy, 0 points, + bot. Really can't justify staying for a game like that.

No not at all, but it is increasingly hard to find these games. And games like those you joined is a case in point, if people had stayed in or a forfeit function in unranked, or a fair play system it could stop them.
I guess I was too quick to blame you as well, my apologies.

When I join 0-5 games, I have a strong urge to just tell the person to leave the game so that other people don't end up joining it. Seems selfish, but also seems considerate. If you're the only one person on that team and you're not making any magic, it's probably best to give it up.

I also should have mentioned that while I've experienced what you've got beef about, I estimate the rate at which I drop out of games averages out to 2 in every 11 games. Either I'm just lucky, the people in US-East/West play the way I like (not that I'm explicitly forcing them to play a certain way) or I'm putting up with it better than I have let on in this thread.

Last night, I was killlllllling it with a few other dudes. One of them asked me to focus on passing since I still play like a beginner and always just kick the ball forward really hard to no one. Having no home internet for the working week gave me an excuse to focus on training. Think I spent 3 hours on backboard reads and dunking on the net using the roof of the car.

Oh so that was for me and the serial complainer then?

I wont apologise if my posts are a bit too blunt and too the point.... We don't all go for the long drawn out affairs.

This is a Rocket League thread, so of course I am limiting what I'm saying to that game, but the problem is probably reinforced by the fact that I personally perceive the game as inherently silly, and thus not deserving of that kind of devotion. Of course not everyone shares that view.

Aren't most sports inherently silly? As an example, why is basketball (or football, or hockey... take your pick) deserving of millions of dollars in funding. It's just throwing a ball through some hoops, yet certain people are drawn to playing as well as they can. Because it's enjoyable and satisfying to do well. Same idea with Rocket League, the whole point is competition, it's what makes the game fun. If you can understand that then it shouldn't be too hard to understand why people are so "devoted" to the game. Some people spend their whole life playing an instrument as a hobby, others throw a ball through a hoop. Some of us spent hundreds of hours getting better at Rocket League
You remind me of people that scoff at the idea of esports, not realising there are millions of dollars at play with thousands of devoted fans and viewership numbers that make advertisers pay attention. It's just a video game though.

Aren't most sports inherently silly? As an example, why is basketball (or football, or hockey... take your pick) deserving of millions of dollars in funding. It's just throwing a ball through some hoops, yet certain people are drawn to playing as well as they can. Because it's enjoyable and satisfying to do well. Same idea with Rocket League, the whole point is competition, it's what makes the game fun. If you can understand that then it shouldn't be too hard to understand why people are so "devoted" to the game. Some people spend their whole life playing an instrument as a hobby, others throw a ball through a hoop. Some of us spent hundreds of hours getting better at Rocket League
You remind me of people that scoff at the idea of esports, not realising there are millions of dollars at play with thousands of devoted fans and viewership numbers that make advertisers pay attention. It's just a video game though.

But being good at a real sport is not quite the same as being good at a video game. The requirements are simply higher, as you need to use your full body in a physically demanding environment. I wouldn't exactly say they deserve the amount of money that is being funneled through the various sports, but that is just capitalism, and I accept that. The variables are also easier to grasp in the real world as opposed to a game where latency and inconsistent physics can ruin otherwise good shots.

I think you could argue that the playing field in inherently unfair in the sense that for instance someone who's 15 and still in school will have a lot more time available for getting good than someone who's working or studying at university. Hence my previous comments about people who have actual commitments in life will be at a disadvantage, even if they wanted to be good. That's of course fine, but surely it should then be possible for those people to join casual games expecting not to be dominated by someone who do have the time and inclination. AOS suggests that one simply leaves when faced with insurmountable opposition, but I say that just creates a new problem where games are never full. The fix isn't to eliminate either group of people, but to improve matchmaking somehow. I recognize that isn't an easy thing to do.

As for the E-sports thing, you're not wrong. I dislike its influence on gaming because A, some games gets balanced around the top players, which is just plain awful, and B, some games are designed around the concept to the extend that it ruins the rest of the game. Rainbow Six: Siege is an example of the former, and GT Sport, of the latter. It's not my prerogative to tell people that they can't dedicate their lives to getting really good at a game and earn money doing so, but I do wish they would drop the word Sport from the name (talking about E-Sports). That is of course a matter of how you define that word, but to me, it seems like they're using the word to make it into something that it isn't, as far as I am concerned. To me, a sport has to include both competition and physical exertion.

But being good at a real sport is not quite the same as being good at a video game. The requirements are simply higher, as you need to use your full body in a physically demanding environment. I wouldn't exactly say they deserve the amount of money that is being funneled through the various sports, but that is just capitalism, and I accept that. The variables are also easier to grasp in the real world as opposed to a game where latency and inconsistent physics can ruin otherwise good shots.

It's not the same and it doesn't need to be the same. My argument was more about how the mindset and reason to play is the same. The drive to get better stems from the same idea that it's a competitive game. If you want another example that doesn't include sports, chess. Is chess inherently silly as well?

I think you could argue that the playing field in inherently unfair in the sense that for instance someone who's 15 and still in school will have a lot more time available for getting good than someone who's working or studying at university. Hence my previous comments about people who have actual commitments in life will be at a disadvantage, even if they wanted to be good. That's of course fine, but surely it should then be possible for those people to join casual games expecting not to be dominated by someone who do have the time and inclination. AOS suggests that one simply leaves when faced with insurmountable opposition, but I say that just creates a new problem where games are never full. The fix isn't to eliminate either group of people, but to improve matchmaking somehow. I recognize that isn't an easy thing to do.

If I understand correctly, this just boils down to the argument about the matchmaking being unfair. No, it's not fair, nothing ever is, but unless someone thinks of a better idea than ''improve matchmaking somehow'' it's what we're stuck with. You can't have a casual game mode that's also perfectly fair. It's casual because there's no repercussions so people don't play it seriously. How do you make perfect matchmaking for a game that the players don't even take seriously?

As for the E-sports thing, you're not wrong. I dislike its influence on gaming because A, some games gets balanced around the top players, which is just plain awful, and B, some games are designed around the concept to the extend that it ruins the rest of the game. Rainbow Six: Siege is an example of the former, and GT Sport, of the latter. It's not my prerogative to tell people that they can't dedicate their lives to getting really good at a game and earn money doing so, but I do wish they would drop the word Sport from the name (talking about E-Sports). That is of course a matter of how you define that word, but to me, it seems like they're using the word to make it into something that it isn't, as far as I am concerned. To me, a sport has to include both competition and physical exertion.

I don't really disagree here, the term isn't ideal.

Back