Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO (PS4/XB1/PC) - Milestone

... once you get past the iffy graphics and pathetic sounds.

Indeed the graphics are not as good as DR... but as a game SLRE is far better

As to sounds, mmmmm, well, when you listen to the S4 for example in both games, if you have heard one in real life then SLRE has it right in the forest. Hearing one of those things at 3 or 4 am in the middle of a Welsh forest is not something one easily forgets... the DR version does not make anywhere near enough of the right noises to my ears, either inside or out

SLRE received an update on my console today (X1)

EDIT: Apparently it is specifically to address leaderboard upload issues.

I love DiRT Rally, but I agree that it is woefully thin on content. Only two stages in each of the six locations.

SLRE is a great game once you get past the iffy graphics and pathetic sounds. 32 unique stages and all the RallyX tracks, plus Pike's Peak! Set the difficulty on realistic and enter a four-day rally and you've got quite the challenge, rivaling even DR's supposed difficulty.

If only the two could be combined, it would be the only rally game we would ever need...

If only the two could be combined, it would be the only rally game we would ever need...
I bought SLRE today and I must say that enjoyed it a lot. Graphics are not that great compared to DR, but it feels very good to drive. Nice tight tracks, good variety in career. Perhaps the best Milestone title yet. Sadly the DLC is overpriced.

I bought SLRE today and I must say that enjoyed it a lot. Graphics are not that great compared to DR, but it feels very good to drive. Nice tight tracks, good variety in career. Perhaps the best Milestone title yet. Sadly the DLC is overpriced.

It's definitely the best Milestone game since V8 Superstars. That game was absolutely awesome and I had a blast playing it online while it lasted. I deleted SLRE after getting the platinum trophy. It's a wonderful game on PS4, but the problem is Milestone's ridiculously easy trophies. They add no lasting appeal to the game. They should have had a bunch of trophies linked to difficulty, like "win so-and-so event/rally on Realistic difficulty". Even though P2P has live stages with your opponents as ghosts, it still sucks. What kept me going in V8 after winning the plat was the online racing. It was great. On the flipside, we have DiRT Rally, which is a real challenge for the plat since the AI is reasonably difficult to beat. Even then, Codies could extend the useful life of DR by demanding all the car class-specific championship trophies to be completed only on Masters.

Everyone on the Codies forums is screaming for them to get the FIA license, but honestly I would rather see Milestone do it again, but do it right. If they could use the SLRE engine at 60fps for a WRC game, have two years dev time like SLRE, provide P2P multi-stage rallies and create a truly challenging trophy list I would be in heaven. But until then it's DR for my mid-term rally fix. It's just so damn exhilarating both in leagues and single player. Alas, I believe the WRC license is actually a strait jacket, so maybe it's best that Codies and Milestone just stay away from it. Rallying is rallying, after all, so who cares if we have official everything or not.

Kudos to Milestone for finally developing a rally game that they actually wanted to develop. It was very enjoyable and, as I have stated before, superior to DR in many ways.

Yeah I agree that the WRC licence is a straight jacket. I've been playing rally games on console since the PS1, and the WRC games every gen have consistently been worse than the non official rally games. If you think back to the best rally games, you think the Colin Mcrae series on PS1 and 2, RBR, Dirt rally, and SLRE. A couple of the official WRC games have been alright, like the Evolution WRC series, but they were still behind their non-official competitors IMO.

When I look at WRC 5, it makes me so glad we have such great non-official games this gen, as WRC 5 is just a complete joke. It's nice to have two different, and both very good, rally sims in SLRE and Dirt Rally. Also, with Pcars 2 adding off road racing to it's already impressive list of disciplines, the future of the rally sim racing fan looks pretty good if you ask me.

Picked this up for £16 the other day.
Graphics aren't next gen... heck they wouldn't be called good even on a PS2 to be honest. The sounds are average.

But................... its actually a really great little game, for £16, loads to do, loads of cars and the best bit, really great FFB and physics IMO, he feel of elevation changes is on par if not better than DiRT and finding the stages a lot more imaginative than DiRT.

Also the other bonus is that when you flick back to DiRT it looks even better than ever in glories 60fps..

For a £16 game its an 8/10 from me. Full price..don't even think about paying full price.

Well worth having DiRT and this game IMO.

...Graphics aren't next gen... heck they wouldn't be called good even on a PS2 to be honest...
I've seen similar comments recently and I am struggling to remember a PS2 title with graphics better or similar. True, they aren't on the same level as bigger companies such as CM but calling them PS2 level...no ;)

Absolutely.

Picked this up for £16 the other day.
Graphics aren't next gen... heck they wouldn't be called good even on a PS2 to be honest. The sounds are average.

But................... its actually a really great little game, for £16, loads to do, loads of cars and the best bit, really great FFB and physics IMO, he feel of elevation changes is on par if not better than DiRT and finding the stages a lot more imaginative than DiRT.

Also the other bonus is that when you flick back to DiRT it looks even better than ever in glories 60fps..
I would say it looks more like a late PS3 title than a PS2 one, its certainly not pretty, but some stages and car models are much better than others. Wales looks plain nasty, but the Monte isn't as bad.

The stages are less 'imaginative' and actually more accurate being based on the actual stages quite closely using GPS data.

Damage is also much, much better in SLRE and the impact of getting a flat tyre or running on the rim alone is much better in terms of FFB.

For a £16 game its an 8/10 from me. Full price..don't even think about paying full price.

Yep I've got both and they complement each other well, personally I paid full price for SLRE and don't regret it at all.

I would say it looks more like a late PS3 title than a PS2 one, its certainly not pretty, but some stages and car models are much better than others. Wales looks plain nasty, but the Monte isn't as bad.

The stages are less 'imaginative' and actually more accurate being based on the actual stages quite closely using GPS data.

Damage is also much, much better in SLRE and the impact of getting a flat tyre or running on the rim alone is much better in terms of FFB.

Yep I've got both and they complement each other well, personally I paid full price for SLRE and don't regret it at all.

"Imaginative" I meant as in more varied, it was a positive point to SLRE.
And I mean to folks looking to make the move for SLRE to pick it up cheap and don't get it full price as frankly it would be as mad as getting FIFA 16 for full price when you can grab it for 15-20 quid, or PCars for full price when you can get it for £12-15. I understand getting full price games at release, but can't fathom why you would 6 months to a year down the line?

"Imaginative" I meant as in more varied, it was a positive point to SLRE.
And I mean to folks looking to make the move for SLRE to pick it up cheap and don't get it full price as frankly it would be as mad as getting FIFA 16 for full price when you can grab it for 15-20 quid, or PCars for full price when you can get it for £12-15. I understand getting full price games at release, but can't fathom why you would 6 months to a year down the line?
Ahh see what you mean.

In which case I quite agree.

I just got it on sale a few days ago. The career mode is fun. It's basically like RIDE. It's definitely a more interesting career mode than WRC 5. I finished all the Loeb Experience events.

There are a few gripes I have with the game though. I'm not particularly impressed with the physics honestly. The braking in particular is done very poorly. The cars are incredibly unstable under braking. Even on tarmac, with bias turned towards the front, braking intensity turned down, and diff coast set fully to locked the cars still always want to swap ends under hard braking. Cars really don't do that in real life unless you seriously unsettle the car while trail braking.

The cars don't have enough sense of weight. Going over every crest the car always wants to go flying, even at modest speeds. So every time there is a corner after a crest, you'd better slow down to a crawl, or end up spearing off the road. Cars also roll over too easily. And even on the smoothest course like Pike's Peak, the cars constantly bounce around. It's like they're trying too hard to make the cars drift like you'd expect in rallying, instead of making the physics realistic and having the driver actually work to initiate slides. I find that the cars are always either severely understeering or oversteering, rarely balanced in between.

In terms of physics, I don't really think SLRE is any better than WRC 5. If anything, I think it might even be a slight step down.

The pace notes are also not great. They're better than WRC 5 most of the time in that when set to give Very Early they're usually given early enough in advance for you to actually start slowing down to make the corner. There are occasions where that is not the case, but it's still vastly better than WRC 5. The biggest problem I have with pace notes is that I don't think they're very accurate half the time. I find that corners are very often tighter than what's given in the pace notes. I'd really rather they have erred on the side of caution rather than what it is now. If the corners were shallower than the pace notes, I might take the corner a little more slowly than necessary. But the way it is now, I go spearing off the road. And sometimes they're just not precise enough. Like sometimes he says "6 right tightens", but he doesn't say what it tightens to. If it tightens from 6 to like a 2, and he doesn't tell me, it's not very helpful.

For some of the classes, there is very clearly one best car, and if you don't use that car you basically have to turn the AI down considerably to win. For example, in the 70's class, on a long ~10km stage, there is probably a good 30s difference between the BMW 2002 and the Mini Cooper. For things like that, they probably should have split the classes up further. But at least in the 70's class, the BMW and the Lancia are pretty close. In Class 4, the Stratos is clearly the single best car by a wide margin. I usually play on Hard AI, and am occasionally competitive on Realistic, but if I play Class 4 rallies and don't want to use the Stratos, I basically have to turn it down to Easy. There is also a weird instance where the '99 Focus Rally Car is in a different class than the '99 Lancer Evolution 6 Rally Car, even though they directly competed against each other in the same year.

Last thing is course design. Most of the courses are fun, but there are a few that are just really not enjoyable. I don't know if they model it after real world stages, and maybe the stages just suck in real life. The Chocolate stage in Mexico is just atrocious. It is seriously unnecessarily tight and bumpy. You're basically slogging through the stage driving like a granny in 2nd or 3rd gear using mostly about half throttle. And it's not just because I suck that I have to drive like that. I drive like that and actually achieve times that is competitive with the Realistic AI, so it's actually what you're supposed to do. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a short stage, but it's one of the longest stages in the game. That stage is seriously the least enjoyable stage I have ever played in any rally game, ever. I watched some footage of a real life stage called El Chocolate in Mexico (I'm assuming they modeled the in game stage after that one), and it doesn't seem to be nearly as bumpy. There is also a stage in the Alsace rally that pretty much half the corners are after crests, so you have to slow to a crawl before every crest or else not make the corner.

That probably seems like a lot of gripes, but I do actually enjoy the game. I'd give it 8.5/10 overall. For comparison, I'd give WRC 5 8.0/10. SLRE for me basically just beats WRC 5 in terms of career mode. Also, WRC 5 has this idiotic thing where the AI times are always adjusted to be within around a second of your time.

Good "news" (from April). Milestone intends to make 2 more SLRE games.

http://www.speedmaniacs.com/News,Se...nfos-zu-weiterem-Support-und-Fortsetzung,8297

Im very pleased after reading this. Personaly, I think SLRE beats Dirt on physics, force feedback, content, quality of the stages and offline mode while Dirt wins on sounds, graphics and online mode (because SLRE online is dead already).

Didnt expect nothing from Milestone´s rally game, and with the Demo I was very surprised. I hope they make SLRE 2 and 3. If they correct the mistakes, could be GLORIOUS.

I just got it on sale a few days ago. The career mode is fun. It's basically like RIDE. It's definitely a more interesting career mode than WRC 5. I finished all the Loeb Experience events.

There are a few gripes I have with the game though. I'm not particularly impressed with the physics honestly. The braking in particular is done very poorly. The cars are incredibly unstable under braking. Even on tarmac, with bias turned towards the front, braking intensity turned down, and diff coast set fully to locked the cars still always want to swap ends under hard braking. Cars really don't do that in real life unless you seriously unsettle the car while trail braking.
Car most certainly do this in real life, particularly when you are braking hard on a loose or damp surface, or one that is cambered and road worn, and particularly if the car is not running ABS (as rally cars don't).

Its both perfectly realistic and quite easy to counter, just as you would in reality you lift in the brakes to settle the rear and then reapply the brakes, however you do have to take car not to lock the wheels. Nor is it an inevitability every time you brake, as good threshold braking will stop it occurring a lot of the time.

The cars don't have enough sense of weight. Going over every crest the car always wants to go flying, even at modest speeds. So every time there is a corner after a crest, you'd better slow down to a crawl, or end up spearing off the road. Cars also roll over too easily. And even on the smoothest course like Pike's Peak, the cars constantly bounce around. It's like they're trying too hard to make the cars drift like you'd expect in rallying, instead of making the physics realistic and having the driver actually work to initiate slides. I find that the cars are always either severely understeering or oversteering, rarely balanced in between.
I don't find this to be the case as all, with the cars having a good weight and steering feel, particularity in comparison to the floaty mess that is WRC5. I also find it perfectly possible to balance the cars, and again far easier that in WRC5, for reasons I will explain in a moment.

In terms of physics, I don't really think SLRE is any better than WRC 5. If anything, I think it might even be a slight step down.
I could not agree with you less. WRC5 runs a fixed centre rotation physics model that should have died a death once we left the PS2 era (it was one of the hallmarks of the early Colin MacRae series. It results in cars that don't behave in an even remotely realistic manner at all.

The pace notes are also not great. They're better than WRC 5 most of the time in that when set to give Very Early they're usually given early enough in advance for you to actually start slowing down to make the corner. There are occasions where that is not the case, but it's still vastly better than WRC 5. The biggest problem I have with pace notes is that I don't think they're very accurate half the time. I find that corners are very often tighter than what's given in the pace notes. I'd really rather they have erred on the side of caution rather than what it is now. If the corners were shallower than the pace notes, I might take the corner a little more slowly than necessary. But the way it is now, I go spearing off the road. And sometimes they're just not precise enough. Like sometimes he says "6 right tightens", but he doesn't say what it tightens to. If it tightens from 6 to like a 2, and he doesn't tell me, it's not very helpful.
While the paces note are not as good as those in DiRT they are better than the ones in WRC5, and it may be a personal thing but the WRC5 co-driver annoys the hell out of me with his random shouting.

For some of the classes, there is very clearly one best car, and if you don't use that car you basically have to turn the AI down considerably to win. For example, in the 70's class, on a long ~10km stage, there is probably a good 30s difference between the BMW 2002 and the Mini Cooper. For things like that, they probably should have split the classes up further. But at least in the 70's class, the BMW and the Lancia are pretty close. In Class 4, the Stratos is clearly the single best car by a wide margin. I usually play on Hard AI, and am occasionally competitive on Realistic, but if I play Class 4 rallies and don't want to use the Stratos, I basically have to turn it down to Easy. There is also a weird instance where the '99 Focus Rally Car is in a different class than the '99 Lancer Evolution 6 Rally Car, even though they directly competed against each other in the same year.
While I would agree that some of the baalncing is an issue and the class mixes in a few cases odd, its still a far better car selection than WRC5 could even dream of.

Last thing is course design. Most of the courses are fun, but there are a few that are just really not enjoyable. I don't know if they model it after real world stages, and maybe the stages just suck in real life. The Chocolate stage in Mexico is just atrocious. It is seriously unnecessarily tight and bumpy. You're basically slogging through the stage driving like a granny in 2nd or 3rd gear using mostly about half throttle. And it's not just because I suck that I have to drive like that. I drive like that and actually achieve times that is competitive with the Realistic AI, so it's actually what you're supposed to do. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a short stage, but it's one of the longest stages in the game. That stage is seriously the least enjoyable stage I have ever played in any rally game, ever. I watched some footage of a real life stage called El Chocolate in Mexico (I'm assuming they modeled the in game stage after that one), and it doesn't seem to be nearly as bumpy. There is also a stage in the Alsace rally that pretty much half the corners are after crests, so you have to slow to a crawl before every crest or else not make the corner.
Um I'm not sure how I can break this too you, but in this regard you are just plain wrong.

Now you may prefer the stages in WRC5, but they are not realistic at all, rather they are inspired by the location of the rally rather than any attempt to accuratly recraete the stages tehmselves. The vast majority don't even foloow the stage directions and all of them are far, far too wide.

SLRE on the other hand use the stage GPS data and on-board footage to get them as close to the real thing as they could:

I'm utterly confused that you complain about Rally Mexico stages being so tight, bumpy and twisty that you need to use part throttle and mainly 2nd and 3rd! That's exactly what Rally Mexico's El Chocolate is known for, being a tight technical challenge. Hell every stage in Rally Greece was like that when it was on the calender.

Rally is not just about the fast, open flowing events like Finland, Sweden or Poland, and the tight, technical car-breakers are as much a part of the sport.

That probably seems like a lot of gripes, but I do actually enjoy the game. I'd give it 8.5/10 overall. For comparison, I'd give WRC 5 8.0/10. SLRE for me basically just beats WRC 5 in terms of career mode. Also, WRC 5 has this idiotic thing where the AI times are always adjusted to be within around a second of your time.
As you may have been able to tell I don't agree that its a narrow win for SLRE, but a win by quite a margin.

If you are interested in more information about why I hold that view you may want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/rally-comparison-wrc-5-vs-slre-vs-dirt-rally.348973/

Which is a WRC5 vs SLRE vs DiRT Rally comparison thread.

Car most certainly do this in real life, particularly when you are braking hard on a loose or damp surface, or one that is cambered and road worn, and particularly if the car is not running ABS (as rally cars don't).

Its both perfectly realistic and quite easy to counter, just as you would in reality you lift in the brakes to settle the rear and then reapply the brakes, however you do have to take car not to lock the wheels. Nor is it an inevitability every time you brake, as good threshold braking will stop it occurring a lot of the time.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the cars didn't also do that on dry tarmac, with or without brake assist on, and with brake bias cranked to the front. Cars don't do that with ABS off in PCARS, and I'm going to assume that PCARS physics is more realistic.

I don't find this to be the case as all, with the cars having a good weight and steering feel, particularity in comparison to the floaty mess that is WRC5. I also find it perfectly possible to balance the cars, and again far easier that in WRC5, for reasons I will explain in a moment.

I could not agree with you less. WRC5 runs a fixed centre rotation physics model that should have died a death once we left the PS2 era (it was one of the hallmarks of the early Colin MacRae series. It results in cars that don't behave in an even remotely realistic manner at all.

I actually don't think either game feels particularly good, honestly. Though, I've never driven fast in a rally type environment in real life before I can't really compare. I've only driven fast on circuits. These games could be very realistic for all I know. I know that the cars don't feel at all realistic on tarmac though.

While the paces note are not as good as those in DiRT they are better than the ones in WRC5, and it may be a personal thing but the WRC5 co-driver annoys the hell out of me with his random shouting.

It's definitely better than WRC 5. Pace notes in WRC 5 are downright terrible.

While I would agree that some of the baalncing is an issue and the class mixes in a few cases odd, its still a far better car selection than WRC5 could even dream of.

It's kind of like, what is the point in having classes when cars within classes aren't competitive with each other? I do like the variety of cars, just that the grouping of them could have been more competitive in some cases.

Um I'm not sure how I can break this too you, but in this regard you are just plain wrong.

Now you may prefer the stages in WRC5, but they are not realistic at all, rather they are inspired by the location of the rally rather than any attempt to accuratly recraete the stages tehmselves. The vast majority don't even foloow the stage directions and all of them are far, far too wide.

SLRE on the other hand use the stage GPS data and on-board footage to get them as close to the real thing as they could:

I'm utterly confused that you complain about Rally Mexico stages being so tight, bumpy and twisty that you need to use part throttle and mainly 2nd and 3rd! That's exactly what Rally Mexico's El Chocolate is known for, being a tight technical challenge. Hell every stage in Rally Greece was like that when it was on the calender.

Rally is not just about the fast, open flowing events like Finland, Sweden or Poland, and the tight, technical car-breakers are as much a part of the sport.

I didn't say I liked the stages in WRC 5 more. I just said I didn't like some stages in SLRE and think they're kind of ridiculous.

Are they really GPS recreations of entire stages? They seem too short for that. Do they just use a section of each stage? I don't really watch much rallying anymore. I just know that I find the Chocolate stage to be horrendous. I can't seem to find many decent videos of it on youtube for some reason. The only thing I found was this, and I'm not even sure if it's the same stage. It's tight and twisty, but he doesn't seem to be going over a crest or jump every 20m.

Last edited:
Gave this game a bit more time the other day, which is tricky with DiRT, PCars and now AC (not to mention Forza6 FH2) vying for my attention and game time let alone non driving games!
Anyway i digress, what AC has given me is a baseline now of what is nice feel in FFB. So I was able to play SLRE and tune in the FFB a bit better and boy it was fantastic, actually AC has made me realise that Kunos aren't the only guys doing good FFB feel, SLRE feel is very very good and i had a blast yesterday for a lot longer on it than i planned and after a bit the graphics just don't matter for me.
I played DiRT straight after and again DiRT for me is just a bag of smiles, I just adore that game for pure gaming joy! Apart from Monte Carlo!

Yes, SLRE's fine game and one in which i strongly believe is some great physics /FFB hidden under a rather standard last gen looking game.... a bit like AC then which seems to be a golden boy right now.

You're not wrong about finding time. I stupidly bought SLRE at launch on PSN, and enjoyed it but just haven't made as much time as I would have liked to play it. In terms of € per hour it's been a miss for me so far, which just isn't fair to the game: there's much more to enjoy for me still.

With competition from AC, DiRT Rally, pCARS, RaceRoom, rFactor 2, Euro Trucksim, Wreckfest, Driveclub, Forza 6 Apex and soon Forza Horizon 3 (ignoring many older games in my Steam library).... I need to cut down on other hobbies and probably also work to find the time :)

You're not wrong about finding time. I stupidly bought SLRE at launch on PSN, and enjoyed it but just haven't made as much time as I would have liked to play it. In terms of € per hour it's been a miss for me so far, which just isn't fair to the game: there's much more to enjoy for me still.

With competition from AC, DiRT Rally, pCARS, RaceRoom, rFactor 2, Euro Trucksim, Wreckfest, Driveclub, Forza 6 Apex and soon Forza Horizon 3 (ignoring many older games in my Steam library).... I need to cut down on other hobbies and probably also work to find the time :)

I noticed on game hub in xbox one it tells you how long you have spent on each game............ PCars since i purchased it for the princely sum of £25 just over a year ago.....

35 days

OMG. Thats some bang for buck! And rather odd thought!

Tell you what, having some proper fun with this game now! BMW 2002 Ti is wonderful! Also in this day of everything unlocked I forgot how addictive it is to WANT to unlock stuff!
Good times, a very very good physics simulation with a FFB wheel provided you knock down the force from default.
It has a wonderful atmosphere this game.
One thing DiRT very rarely offers in a stage is full flat out balls out sections, SLRE has loads and they are fun..a lot of fun.

19-09-2016_14-44-48.png
19-09-2016_14-45-05.png
19-09-2016_14-45-10.png

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the cars didn't also do that on dry tarmac, with or without brake assist on, and with brake bias cranked to the front. Cars don't do that with ABS off in PCARS, and I'm going to assume that PCARS physics is more realistic.

I actually don't think either game feels particularly good, honestly. Though, I've never driven fast in a rally type environment in real life before I can't really compare. I've only driven fast on circuits. These games could be very realistic for all I know. I know that the cars don't feel at all realistic on tarmac though.

I would guess you've never driven a car fast on twisty roads if you think that's not how cars behave on tarmac. Also, just because a car doesn't act in a particular way on a closed circuit on Pcars, doesn't mean it wouldn't act that way in real life on a normal road. There are many things about Pcars that are unrealistic, including the over-powered longitudinal grip, which affects braking and accelerating. The LSD model in Pcars is also flawed, and you can gain lots of time with exploit setups because of it.

You're complaining that if you crank the brake bias all the way to the front, and lock the diff, that the cars are unstable under braking... Why would you be expecting it to be stable with it set up like that? With little to no braking force at the rear axle, the back end is always going to want to overtake the front under heavy braking, and locking the diff under deceleration doesn't allow any speed differential between the wheels, which in a RWD, or if done to the rear diff of an AWD, will result in unpredictable behaviour and snap oversteer under hard braking, particularly on uneven surfaces. Not to mention it's pretty easy to find videos of real rally cars behaving like this under brakes on tarmac, and presumably real WRC teams aren't putting such extreme and odd set ups on their cars.

The physics in SLRE are actually quite realistic, and not at all even remotely like the physics in WRC 5. There are components of the physics in SLRE that I would say are more realistic than the more commonly praised Dirt Rally, such as the difference in grip between different surfaces. Overall I'd say the physics are about on par with Dirt Rally, with both games excelling in different areas to each other.

As someone who has driven quite a few cars very hard on real life tarmac rally stages (not in competition, the state I live in has an abundance of roads used in tarmac rallying), I can guarantee you this is normal behaviour. I have experienced cars being very unstable under brakes on tight, twisty roads a ton of times. I've had one of my old cars so crossed up under brakes, I nearly needed a change of underwear after the corner. I actually scared myself to the point that I took it quite easy for the next few corners while I tried to calm myself down lol.

Tell you what, having some proper fun with this game now! BMW 2002 Ti is wonderful! Also in this day of everything unlocked I forgot how addictive it is to WANT to unlock stuff!
Good times, a very very good physics simulation with a FFB wheel provided you knock down the force from default.
It has a wonderful atmosphere this game.
One thing DiRT very rarely offers in a stage is full flat out balls out sections, SLRE has loads and they are fun..a lot of fun.

The 2002 Ti is awesome isn't it? It's gutless, so it's pretty slow and really easy to control sideways, but it gets the back end out so easily thanks to the ancient chassis and RWD layout. It's probably the most fun car to drive on the icy roads IMO. I've had a ton of fun in that car!

Edit: Just wanted to add, I do have problems with the game, most notably the horrible "cracks" in the windscreen, that kind of looks like water or something all over the screen, makes it very hard to see when the screen is cracked, plus the lack of a shakedown for setting up the car before a rally, which is a major oversight in a rally sim, and is it just me, or is the season pass a complete rip off? I bought it expecting more packs to be released, and the last pack was ages ago, and no mention from Milestone about any future packs. So the season pass was quite expensive for the relatively small amount of DLC we have.

Last edited:
Yup, season pass was a total ripoff, especially when it turned out that all of the DLC from all of the packs was done at launch (a few guys had a glitch causing it to unlock on day one for them). That was Milestone "taking the piss", as they say.

19-09-2016_23-44-11.png

Yes I came to this game late (got it for £16) and i am avoiding the season pass/DLC, plenty in it anyway. For sure its not perfect and far from it, but since i sorted out the FFB i'm playing it a lot and i never expected that.
I think its the way the car reacts to the surface you can really see it in the replays and you feel everything pretty much you see in the replay. I was watching replays back and the movement of the car is fantastic and really similar to AC replays.
And i love the way the cars can be backed in to corners, its pretty easy to get a feel for that controlled loss of grip by simply taking your car onto wet grass to feel what cars d and your wheel does and SLRE conveys this very well and once you know it does that you can react to it as you would in real life.

Some of the stages notably Sweden and Monte are really smart looking in places, but no bones about it the graphics can take some getting used to, i'm not be using this to show off the xbox one if a non gamer mate came round.

Its the rally cross where i really realised this game has nailed physics, the way the cars react to bumping AI cars and how AI cars actually can be rolled over, no other game currently can you tap an AI car and it feels like your hitting an object of similar weight as you, so much so you can just nudge rear corner of AI and spin them pretty easy.

For me having now played the much lauded AC, this is the AC of rallying, for me.

oh and theres jumps like this....

19-09-2016_23-44-04.png

Yes I came to this game late (got it for £16) and i am avoiding the season pass/DLC, plenty in it anyway. For sure its not perfect and far from it, but since i sorted out the FFB i'm playing it a lot and i never expected that.
I think its the way the car reacts to the surface you can really see it in the replays and you feel everything pretty much you see in the replay. I was watching replays back and the movement of the car is fantastic and really similar to AC replays.
And i love the way the cars can be backed in to corners, its pretty easy to get a feel for that controlled loss of grip by simply taking your car onto wet grass to feel what cars d and your wheel does and SLRE conveys this very well and once you know it does that you can react to it as you would in real life.

Some of the stages notably Sweden and Monte are really smart looking in places, but no bones about it the graphics can take some getting used to, i'm not be using this to show off the xbox one if a non gamer mate came round.

Its the rally cross where i really realised this game has nailed physics, the way the cars react to bumping AI cars and how AI cars actually can be rolled over, no other game currently can you tap an AI car and it feels like your hitting an object of similar weight as you, so much so you can just nudge rear corner of AI and spin them pretty easy.

For me having now played the much lauded AC, this is the AC of rallying, for me.

Well said. I'll add, the reason it feels so natural is because of just how well the weight transfer and longitudinal grip have been modeled. The BMW 2002 Ti on icy tarmac in this game is some of the most fun a person can have in a sim IMO.

Agreed, and heck I just reignited a thread about SLRE and that's what its all about. People are all about the 'next new thing' hence why devs can keep churning stuff out, its a console thing.
But this game feels like when i hear PC guys talk about RBR, its not pretty but it has fantastic physics and driving feel.
It's like when i finally got V8 supercars on xbox 360 after years of Forza, Shift 2, Race Pro, i picked up V8 for £2 and after i got used to the poor graphics I found a really wonderful representation of driving and racing and with the thing lacking so much these days, is simple championship format with bunch of similar spec cars...

I bought SLRE when it had only been out a couple of weeks, but it was on sale, so I did get $20 off the full price. But even paying that much for it, and paying for the (rip off) season pass, I'm really happy with it. I've got my money's worth out of it, even factoring in the expensive season pass, and despite it sitting on the shelf for a while now (I've got more than 60 PS4 games, and not much time to play them), I still plan to play it quite a lot when I'm done with the games I'm currently playing.

I bought SLRE when it had only been out a couple of weeks, but it was on sale, so I did get $20 off the full price. But even paying that much for it, and paying for the (rip off) season pass, I'm really happy with it. I've got my money's worth out of it, even factoring in the expensive season pass, and despite it sitting on the shelf for a while now (I've got more than 60 PS4 games, and not much time to play them), I still plan to play it quite a lot when I'm done with the games I'm currently playing.

This is the true problem, very much a 1st world problem :), but in a gaming context a problem none the less. I find there's too much to do in one game let alone thinking about the rest!
For example I don't ever touch the rally x in DiRT rally and i just don't have the time anymore to devote myself to Forza 6 like I did Forza 4.

Games are certainly very content heavy these days, they almost have to be which is great really, but you can sit there with an hour to spare and think "right lets fire up the xbox", so 5 mins to decide i want to play a driving game, then a weird moment of an inner conversation about which game to play, finger hovering over each back and forth weighing up what each can give me and what i feel like at that point.
hmmm quick chill out controller blast with Forza 6 or full fun wheel blast... hmm wheel... now what game..
anyway 10 mins later i chose PCars...then its all "hmm what car to drive first, shall i hot lap or race or continue career...." so finally with half an hour now gone I start playing and suddenly hours up... it's worse if i play Forza as i can spend an hour painting up a car and photographing it!
Like i say nothing but a 1st world problem and a nice problem to have at that.. this is why I generally play late at night.

Latest Posts

Back