Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO (PS4/XB1/PC) - Milestone

Xsara done on hard since realistic is beyond my skills.

Tried Pikes Peak once more and climbing the mountain in the 208 is so much more satisfying as in DiRT.

Milestone truly did an outstanding job. Imagine this game with Unreal :cool: and Ride4's photomode :bowdown:

Just don't understand why they abandonned this. They've had a CMR killer in their hands :odd:

I know, it's so annoying that they didn't continue. Everytime I briefly go back to SLRE I'm reminded of how good it is. Whoever did the physics did an outstanding job, I don't care about the graphics and sound, they are good enough for me.

Just think what they could have done with this title if they continued. It's almost as if after witnessing DR's sound and graphics they just gave up. A real shame.

With all the revenue coming in from their yearly bike games now would be a great time for a return to SLRE.

PS Another thing I thought was strange was the choice of the awful voice over for the Loeb videos. The guy speaks perfect English ! :( I would much rather hear him speak.

Last edited:
PS Another thing I thought was strange was the choice of the awful voice over for the Loeb videos. The guy speaks perfect English ! :( I would much rather hear him speak.

I have the French version and Loeb's voice is his original one. No voice-overs here :) To bad Elena doesn't do the pace notes....

Meanwhile...have the the first 5 on hard difficulty. San Remo being really easy even on this level :eek: A bit unbalanced

Last edited:
Milestone put a lot of love in San Remo :bowdown:

Just fantastic stages and lush environments 👍

I think it's the best graphics of the game ?

I played that challenge with the Xsara WRC I agree pretty easy on hard. It's so much easier to drive compared to the Xsara kit car...

Are you playing all the challenges ?

I will play some more too, in amongst all the other games Im swamped with !

PS I can remember from before getting into a bit of a trance on the San Remo stages, so many calls in quick succession, it's pretty demanding and intense but amazing when you win a stage without crashing at all. Love it :)

Last edited:
Quick reply since I need to go to work ...

I've done 10 so far with Hafren being the most challenging so far.

Sam Remo is just wow if as you say , get through undamaged and have a flow going :bowdown:

@MrCrynox Yes, I am doing all the challenges except for the rallycross parts. Hafren was the most complicated so far because I wanted it to be tidy and with not too many offtrack errors. Takes around +6min to get around and some corners have wrong pace notes so yes it was a challenge.... ;)

Édit....

Muscle memory really helps. Did the "25 Seconds" challenge and it was a walk in the park :lol: Under 6 minutes with a few errors.

Having difficulties putting this down....again...

Last edited:
@MrCrynox I've completed all challenges early afternoon and they aren't that hard to beat on difficult. The only odd ones are the ones were you need to be the fastest in every sector and the longer stages need mostly tidy driving. Realistic difficulty must be doable but I won't go through them for a 4th time :lol:

The last challenge, where you run the official Pikes Peak race and need to beat Loeb 9:08 time is a joke. They should have set the official record here since that is actually a bit more challenging.

Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO_20210411152333.png

Enjoyed "King of Monte Carlo" intensively! The DS3 runs great and the stage has the real Monte-vibe 👍

Last edited:
@MrCrynox I've completed all challenges early afternoon and they aren't that hard to beat on difficult. The only odd ones are the ones were you need to be the fastest in every sector and the longer stages need mostly tidy driving. Realistic difficulty must be doable but I won't go through them for a 4th time :lol:

The last challenge, where you run the official Pikes Peak race and need to beat Loeb 9:08 time is a joke. They should have set the official record here since that is actually a bit more challenging.

View attachment 1003711

Enjoyed "King of Monte Carlo" intensively! The DS3 runs great and the stage has the real Monte-vibe 👍

I will play the all challenges again when I next get some time off, mid week probably. I originally completed everything before on my PS4 but have since bought SLRE again for Xbox as it was so cheap. So I've hardly done anything in the game, gives me incentive to play but I remember how big this game is.. I remember enjoying PP so looking forward to that.

I'm glad your enjoying it..again :)

Last edited:
@doblocruiser I finished replaying all the challenges, I had a lot of fun getting reacquainted with these stages.

Standout for me was any of Sweden, Mexico, UK. I love the feeling in this game on all these surfaces, its a pleasure to drive.
Like yourself I really enjoyed the King of Monte Carlo & particularly Sweet Lamb 2 in the C4. Of all the Citroen`s my favorite is the Xsara, its such an under represented car in other games, you rarely get to see it.

And Pikes Peak was great fun in the 208 T16. So fast yet easy to drive, yeah the stage time to beat was pretty pathetic.

I spent an evening after picking up my last career save driving the BMW 2002 in Monte & Sweden, great fun.

I love watching the replays, they really show the physics at work, I love watching the weight transfer & inertia, (especielly in Wales - it really shows it off), to me it looks exactly like the real thing. Despite the age of this title, DR & the WRC series, (both of which I really like too), I think that really SLRE is still the best rally game, its just amazing.

I think I`m going to continue playing every now & then, thanks for reigniting my interest in the game... :cheers: 👍

Last edited:
@MrCrynox You have been fast with redoing those challenges. We are pretty lucky with this game since all important Citroëns are in there, thanks to Loeb and MilesStone's excellent licensing team. I love the little Saxo VTS 1600 too as well as the Xsara and C4. A bit less fan of the DS3 but still a decent looking car.

Saxooooo

The replays look indeed fantastic ! I just wish they could be converted to todays standard, seen where RIDE4 is atm, that would be really awesome. However i don't think MileStone will proceed SLR but somewhere in my head, I simply keep hoping.

Your welcome for the return to SLR and most likely this thread will resurface somewhere in the future again ;) For now I am going to take something up Pikes Peak and see where I can get it on the leaderboards :D

Édit....nowhere since there are no class leaderboards :lol:

Last edited:
Sounds good, ie not too much to commit to. We did a little championship last year but in the end there was only 3 of us playing.. :( Hopefully others can commit to this idea ??

Asking for a friend:
He has a Thrustmaster TS-XW and he can't get the pedals to run on PC, while wheel works. Pedals attached to wheelbase. They are like buttons and game doesn't allow him to rebind them as axis.
Any ideas?

I noticed in the Xbox store that the base game (not including DLC) is something silly like £2.50 in the sale that is running till ?Tuesday.

If you dont have it already or only have it on Playstation (like me), grab it quick!

So with WRC on its way I've loaded this up on PS5. Looks good, plays superbly but the sounds....ouch...really a whole lot better than generations in general 👌

Graphics seem to have smoothened on PS5 but not sure if it is true since I can't compare to PS4 atm.

Price alert - 90% off on Xbox currently at £1.59! (unfortunately the DLC remains at full price).

Yes that's correct - ONE POUND AND 59 PENCE.
That equates to exactly one litre of unleaded petrol or 1/2 the price of a coffee in Costa...!

BUY IT NOW!!!!

Price alert - 90% off on Xbox currently at £1.59! (unfortunately the DLC remains at full price).

Yes that's correct - ONE POUND AND 59 PENCE.
That equates to exactly one litre of unleaded petrol or 1/2 the price of a coffee in Costa...!

BUY IT NOW!!!!

Definitely worth it just for the Loeb mode with all the interview and rally footage. The stages are pretty nice too.

Spend a bit of time this evening on Monte and I am actually disappointed in how the new WRC title from EA looks. For a next gen title only it surely is a big letdown. Some of the backdrops in SLR look better than EA's and that on an inhouse engine of Milestone from 2016 🥳

Well landscape feel is bigger in EA and lightning is a bit better too but boy it's just underwelming if you see what this title and other oldgen games delivered.

Than we need to talk tarmac. In here it's bloody amazing 👌 Something EA is unable to match in its current state.

I'll sée if I can post a few comparision shots in the next few days.
So with WRC on its way I've loaded this up on PS5. Looks good, plays superbly but the sounds....ouch...really a whole lot better than generations in general 👌

Graphics seem to have smoothened on PS5 but not sure if it is true since I can't compare to PS4 atm.

What kills this title for me is the lack and very weak wheels support.
I was on a G29 and it worked great. I upgraded to a DD and there's no way to make it work. I miss the game but unfortunately had to uninstall it. Still one of the best rally titles out there.

Spend a bit of time this evening on Monte and I am actually disappointed in how the new WRC title from EA looks. For a next gen title only it surely is a big letdown. Some of the backdrops in SLR look better than EA's and that on an inhouse engine of Milestone from 2016 🥳

Well landscape feel is bigger in EA and lightning is a bit better too but boy it's just underwelming if you see what this title and other oldgen games delivered.

Than we need to talk tarmac. In here it's bloody amazing 👌 Something EA is unable to match in its current state.

I'll sée if I can post a few comparision shots in the next few days.

Feel free to use some of my environment shots for comparison.

The tarmac was good in Rally Evo, on a wheel, it was not so good on a controller imo. Cracking game though, I did go back to it recently for a quick blast, they did a good job with the stages l, was just the car models and sound that let it down, hated the rallycross as well.

Last edited:
Feel free to use some of my environment shots for comparison.

The tarmac was good in Rally Evo, on a wheel, it was not so good on a controller imo. Cracking game though, I did go back to it recently for a quick blast, they did a good job with the stages l, was just the car models and sound that let it down, hated the rallycross as well.
Hated RC too and agreed on a controller it was twitchy and difficult.

So personally I think SL:RE is one of the most underrated racing games of all time and when it came out there was a lot about it that I preferred to DIRT Rally. I think the stages are the #1 thing. They're probably better than those on DR, although it's close - but I think I'm right in saying that in terms of unique stage miles, it's well ahead - DR taking one or two long stages then cutting them up into different routes whereas I think in SL:RE there's far less repetition of sections and far more individual environments. And they look lovely too, the scenery is varied and the locations all look spot on. I love Rally GB in this game, adore it.

Also, it feels so good on tarmac, the car list is easily the best out there at least up until EA WRC, it's challenging and the AI levels aren't as poor as more recent games, the damage model is great although maybe windscreens smash a bit easily, and it handles well too. The Loeb events are interesting and tough. The only thing I dislike about it are the car models, which look pretty basic at times, and the good old Rally game 'moon physics' which to be fair feature in most Rally games to an extent. Performance on PS4 is perfect too, incredibly smooth and solid, slightly less so on Xbox but still okay.

After their pretty middling official WRC games, it still baffles me that Milestone pulled out all the stops here and released something so good, and so few people seemed to notice how good it was. Still is.

So personally I think SL:RE is one of the most underrated racing games of all time and when it came out there was a lot about it that I preferred to DIRT Rally. I think the stages are the #1 thing. They're probably better than those on DR, although it's close - but I think I'm right in saying that in terms of unique stage miles, it's well ahead - DR taking one or two long stages then cutting them up into different routes whereas I think in SL:RE there's far less repetition of sections and far more individual environments. And they look lovely too, the scenery is varied and the locations all look spot on. I love Rally GB in this game, adore it.

Also, it feels so good on tarmac, the car list is easily the best out there at least up until EA WRC, it's challenging and the AI levels aren't as poor as more recent games, the damage model is great although maybe windscreens smash a bit easily, and it handles well too. The Loeb events are interesting and tough. The only thing I dislike about it are the car models, which look pretty basic at times, and the good old Rally game 'moon physics' which to be fair feature in most Rally games to an extent. Performance on PS4 is perfect too, incredibly smooth and solid, slightly less so on Xbox but still okay.

After their pretty middling official WRC games, it still baffles me that Milestone pulled out all the stops here and released something so good, and so few people seemed to notice how good it was. Still is.

There were hints with WRC4 that they had the potential to do something great with a rally game. I think if they kept the WRC license it would have been very interesting to see what they would have come up with using that SLRE mindset.

Evolution Studios - Codemasters - KT - Milestone

Is the order for me in terms of who did best with the WRC licence. But WRC4 (Milestone) wasn’t bad at all, certainly. Codemasters is off the strength of two games at the start and end of the the sample as I’m including Colin McRae Rally, which I think I’m right in saying did actually have the official licence for the 1998 season (minus Tommi Makinen who had his own dumpster fire of a game). Milestone are last, but not a terrible last by any means - they got better with each incarnation and by WRC4 it was pretty decent.

I think SL:RE blows everything they did in the official series out of the water, though. It’s an old game now and feels/looks it in places, but I’d love for them to one day do another rally game building on this one. Personally though, I wonder if it’s only what it is because of the lack of WRC licence. What I mean by that is that the WRC games, released yearly, were less ambitious and more steady upgrades of the previous one - SL:RE came out three years later and was so much more ambitious with things like the stage design, the game modes, the car list, the damage model….had they kept the licence then a Milestone WRC5 probably just would have been more of the same, freed from the shackles they had the time and freedom to go a bit crazy.

Back