Saturday Stock Car Series! THIS EVENT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY CANCELLED.

• Thread starter VBR
  • 319 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to save a replay but I do apologize for whoever I bumped from behind at the start. I simply messed up my braking and I tried to veer to the right to avoid contact. I'll also apologize again to whoever I hit on the side exiting Panasonic on either Lap 2 or 3. Visibility is close to zero there and your car suddenly cut inside and we collided. It appeared that you had damage as you pitted but I was too late to join so I pitted on the following lap and you already got around me.

If I do find out who you are, I'll properly edit this post.

For the record, I forgot one of the rules and I pitted a second time, thinking the first pit stop did not count. I only hurt myself by doing that, though.
Pit Stops In Race 2

You must make at least 1 pit stop during the Reverse Grid Races, it is absolutely mandatory!

You must complete 1 quarter race distance before pitting, unless you are damaged or have damaged another.
Then again, judging from the sounds of it, maybe it was better just to stay in the rear for that one race.

Live & learn guys! There will always be the odd incident/bad race here & there, sometimes just due to the car/tyre/track/driver combo on the night, what matters is how we deal with the aftermath, & try to prevent it happening again.

What happened last night was this: people were making errors in Race 1, causing contact, that sometimes resulted in damage. There were no apologies for it afterwards (which broke the aplogy rule), this grew to frustration, which then turned into anger & aggressive driving. The whole thing just kept snowballing out of control until, at the end, most people were guilty of bad driving at some point during race 2, myslef included.

Next time we race, aplogise for any contact during breaks like the rules state, this way any misunderstandings will be avoided, & any hurt feelings will not grow into aggressive displays out on track.

Remember, that an apology is like water to a flame!

:D

PS: On a positive note, that I have already mentioned, the rest of the 6 races we're just great!

Was hoping to race last night but was like Paginas was called to watch the Haye fight last minute. I hate Fuji at the best of times and maybe the large run-off areas were a reason why so many people began to push/didn't obey the rules (?). Possibly something to consider with track selection, although obviously with everybody fully reading the rules this isn't a problem.

Looking forward to seeing the theme for the coming weekend.

...maybe the large run-off areas were a reason why so many people began to push/didn't obey the rules (?). Possibly something to consider with track selection...

It has less to do with track selection/track design, & more to do with conscience & abilty.

Deliberately putting all 4 wheels on a kerb, or over white lines at SSCS is against the rules, all drivers of good conscience know that & honour it. That's why I ask for conscientious drivers in the event listing, as penalties are off.

However, we're not robots & can't actually do that on every corner/run off, lap after lap, especially when racing stock cars with slippy tyres & competing for the win. That's why the rules are balanced to reflect this & state that we should: "Try to keep 2 wheels on track..." & not judge other drivers as dirty who make errors, in effect, we are each our own individual steward at SSCS, trying our best to drive cleanly is a matter of pride & honour for us.

If anyone deliberately broke a rule, just to win a race, they haven't actually won anything, except the knowledge of their own dishonour! After all, any sport is defined by it's rules, & if you choose step outside of them, you're no longer playing that sport, therefore you cannot possibly win!

PS: And just for the record, weaving to lose draft is a definite no-no at SSCS, most forms of motor sport allow 1 move to choose your line into the next corner, so doing it actually breaks that rule! :P

Last edited:
My own sincere apologies.

You can be relieved that I won't be back.

I just read the full version of your post, before you edited out 99% of it, & came to my PC to reply!

Like I said in my PM, you're more than welcome to come again after re-reading the Rules & Regs (The Good Racecraft Guide too), & I hope you do. Last night's Race 2 fiasco was an anomally, SSCS has never been like that regarding the sheer amount of poor driving on display in a single race, we've only had occasional & isolated incidents up until now.

I could clearly see that you were being pushed & shoved about by several drivers before you yourself started getting aggressive, it's just a shame that I had to bear the brunt of it when all I had done was accidentally & lightly tapped you twice from behind.

Please feel free to give it one more try if you want to, you'll be more than welcome to!

:)

Last edited:
i am sorry for any contact made last night wasn't intentional, as for the hair pin i honestly didn't think i'd caused damage and again sorry, the lag from some of the drivers was shocking! couldn't you do a lag test before we qualify? several times i came up behind the folk lagging and i lost out because their lag was so bad that one min they were 3 to 4 car lengths infront then they were practically sitting beside me in the passenger seat.

...as for the hair pin i honestly didn't think i'd caused damage...

You only need to moderately hit another car from behind or the side to cause light damage, that's why it's a rule to apologise for contact during breaks. Sometimes a driver who gets hit & receives damage, doesn't even know who hit him, this can lead to assumptions & upset, especially if no one comes forward & accepts responsibility by saying sorry.

If you hit someone, the first thing you should be doing is looking to see if the driver is steering left & right to indicate to you that you damaged their car. If they do this, you should stay behind them & follow them back to the pits, as described in the SSCS Damage rules.

👍

EDIT:
couldn't you do a lag test before we qualify?

That's taken care of in the warm up drive before we start, but will only work if all drivers turn up & participate.

Last edited:
@ THE_KARLNESS, it's been pointed out i put you off track and i'd like to say sorry for this.

This is certainly something that appeals to myself, i will send you a friend request tonight VBR and hopefully join in the fun sometime :)

Drivers Briefing

• NEW RULE! SSCS newbies & inexperienced drivers must drive in white cars only, regular & experienced members may choose any colour except white. This is to mark new drivers & to give everyone a visual warning, much like having an X on the back of your car in the real world, like in the BTCC Ginetta Juniors support race for example.
  • All drivers are required to re-read the Rules & Regs weekly before attending, to check for updates, & there have been some minor changes after last Saturdays Fuji GT Race 2 fiasco!
  • I said before the last event (here) about using your brake pedals some more & avoiding contact, this time I hope we all take that seriously & drive very carefully as the Rules require.
  • Remember the Race Specifics, especially at Indy Road & Monza, do not cross the white line at the last but 1 turn at Indy, or down the straight at Monza, there are no exceptions to them this week.
  • Please practice beforehand if you can, it will help to ensure an incident free night, thanks.

9/7/2011 - SSCS: R8 World Tour!

This Saturday we'll be racing in the Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07, on Sports Hard tyres at Nurburgring GP/F, Indy Road & Monza (no chicanes), & the warm up drive will be on Nurburgring Nordschleife. The skidpad number I found for the R8 is 1.01g, click here for more info, calan_svc has it at 0.97g so not a huge difference, & both numbers suggest Sports Hard as the correct tyre choice. As always, if you're interested in how I choose tyres for SSCS, see the GT5 Tyre Guide link in my signature.

👍

Last edited:
Great choice of car this week, heck I own one of these already. I am back on saturday and mindful of the business in hand :)

It seems overtaking is going to be a huge challenge, especially with similar cars and tyres, breaking late to overtake is gonna be impossible. This seems like a huge challenge.

You're absolutely right mate, braking late & going for optimistic lunges usually only end up in damaging the other drivers car at this event, it's most definitely discouraged. Rather, use pateince & skill to overtake other drivers, & if there's no way past, just hold station & try to force an error by driving close & cleanly
behind in his blind spots!

Hey VBR,

This set-up sounds right up my street. It's going to be overwhelmingly challenging but I'd much prefer to race in stock vehicles. I'd love to take part.

QUESTION: I understand from the OP the tyre choice will be set and based around some tests...how do we know which tyres to use prior to the race (I've looked at the spreadsheet but I can't see where it says what tyres to use)? I'm guessing you'll say on the day.

QUESTION: I understand from the OP the tyre choice will be set and based around some tests...how do we know which tyres to use prior to the race (I've looked at the spreadsheet but I can't see where it says what tyres to use)? I'm guessing you'll say on the day.

This Saturday's Tyres................Sports Hard. 👍

cooldawn
Hey VBR,

This set-up sounds right up my street. It's going to be overwhelmingly challenging but I'd much prefer to race in stock vehicles. I'd love to take part.

How did you miss it?

QUESTION:
Are we allowed to alter the on-the-fly setup of the cars? I noticed in the Subaru you could change the power distribution and in practice I once changed it from 40/60 to 35/65 which had a huge impact on the handling. Don't know if it was any faster, just wondering.

QUESTION:
Are we allowed to alter the on-the-fly setup of the cars? I noticed in the Subaru you could change the power distribution and in practice I once changed it from 40/60 to 35/65 which had a huge impact on the handling. Don't know if it was any faster, just wondering.

Wondered about that myself, it should be allowed IMO. Beacause there is no way to check if you do this as far as I know, brake balance could make a big difference too.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't need to look at the spreadsheet, I work all that out beforehand & then set what tyres we use on the night in the lounge settings. I just posted it up as a matter of curiosity for those who are interested.

QUESTION:

No, absolutely not! If you tune a car in anyway whatsoever it is no longer stock, & then you might have an unfair advantage over another.

Last edited by a moderator:
N/a

Last edited:
Just to let all regular members know, that this event is definitely on for this Saturday, & if you have any questions, PM me on here or text me on PSN.

Thanks.

👍

EDIT: Please make sure you read the Drivers Breifing before you attend, link to it is in first post, thanks.

Last edited:
Some truly epic races tonight lads, great stuff, loved every minute of it.

Thanks!

Happy to hear all went well. Sorry I didn't participate but a headache didn't allow me to. Hope to be there next time.

I woke up at 6am, and couldnt keep my eyes open, and it being a sunday, i really couldnt be bothered. I thought it could work, but no, i need some aussie series.

I was there and was very good till I got Black Screened at start of Race 2. :'(

Drivers Briefing

• Street racing is tough, & damage can easily be caused, so please drive extra carefully this Saturday.
  • This weeks colour for newbies & inexperienced drivers is White, regulars can choose any other colour.
  • You may use all the kerb at the last chicane on Madrid.
  • You all rocked last week, so not much else to say! :D

SSCS: C30 Street Race!

Featuring the Volvo C30 R-Design '09 on Comfort Soft tyres, at Rome, Madrid & Tokyo R246. This car pulls about 0.89g on the skidpad (click here), so Comfort Soft tyres are the closest according to calan_svc's method for choosing tyres in GT5. See the tyre guide in my signature for more info, if you're interested.

Isn't the Volvo C30 a standard? I swear it is because I own one and its in my standards list...

Isn't the Volvo C30 a standard? I swear it is because I own one and its in my standards list...
You're likely thinking of the S60 sedan. That, and I remember buying the C30 from the dealership for a seasonal event.

I'll be honest and say I'm not looking forward to driving the C30.
I was there and was very good till I got Black Screened at start of Race 2. :'(
The game hung for quite a while there but it finally loaded. Unfortunately, your car did as well and I promptly rear-ended it as the car ahead of me blocked my view until it was too late. :lol:

Nice to hear there where some good races.

I was out on sat night so i couldn't join the action :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back