Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Actually read the video comments, he didn't list hex editor, just a few other programs which I already have........ I'm also pm'ing the modder on psxplanet.ru forums, as thats where the game cd is found. Thank You @Overload_35 for the hook up and link.

Wow. GT2 Hidden Things is 100 pages long now. :eek: It's crazy that all this has been in the making since March 2006, I would've probably been in kindergarten at the time lol. And the search still continues today!

My celebration is this new avatar you see here. You'll see this in my posts for the next couple days.

Here's to 100 more pages! :cheers::gtpflag:

I want to share something from my personal Gran Turismo collection.
Here is something that every fan of GT will like:gtpflag:
I haven't seen this on the internet before,so...

Here is a full copy of Gran Turismo 2 Press CD
315h3dy.png

It includes all promotional images and renders in High resolution in .TIF format as well as some gameplay,text,wireframe photos and car screenshots:)
20po46s.png

By the way,maybe if press release version of the game was any different from a retail then I could make a copy of both Arcade and Simulation mode for examination
Hope you enjoy it!

https://yadi.sk/d/aFpwIZp-3Mtyn

Nuts to think this thread has being going for 11 years and now hit 100 pages :eek:, awesome stuff! And whilst I don't have the know-how or ability to find and do all the stuff you guys have done (yet), it's been so interesting to see it progress. But I would like to be able to contribute to this thread properly one day, hence why I've been thinking of getting the necessary "resources" to perhaps be able to mod and discover things myself.

And whilst I've only been on GTP for less than 2 years, I lurked the GT2 forums long before joining, so I've seen things develop too , so here's to many more years/pages of GT2 discovery :cheers::D.

I want to share something from my personal Gran Turismo collection.
Here is something that every fan of GT will like:gtpflag:
I haven't seen this on the internet before,so...

Here is a full copy of Gran Turismo 2 Press CD
315h3dy.png

It includes all promotional images and renders in High resolution in .TIF format as well as some gameplay,text,wireframe photos and car screenshots:)
20po46s.png

By the way,maybe if press release version of the game was any different from a retail then I could make a copy of both Arcade and Simulation mode for examination
Hope you enjoy it!

https://yadi.sk/d/aFpwIZp-3Mtyn

Awesome! Thank you! I have a copy of the gt3 press cd. I needed this one too!

Nuts to think this thread has being going for 11 years and now hit 100 pages :eek:, awesome stuff! And whilst I don't have the know-how or ability to find and do all the stuff you guys have done (yet), it's been so interesting to see it progress. But I would like to be able to contribute to this thread properly one day, hence why I've been thinking of getting the necessary "resources" to perhaps be able to mod and discover things myself.

And whilst I've only been on GTP for less than 2 years, I lurked the GT2 forums long before joining, so I've seen things develop too , so here's to many more years/pages of GT2 discovery :cheers::D.

Lol um I made a toolkit, of everything I use....and then some.

Thank You @SWAGMASTER69 for shared your press CD, i have found a lot of interesting things!

The tracks have the beta names in the files like Sprint, Parma, Plum Strip, Rome Night Drive and finally we have discovered the truth! And i see a lot of strange car colors!

TVR Speed 12 with more colors!

Lotus Elise 111S That @B_rad88! have posted time ago

A Yellow Bmw 840Ci

Opel And Vauxhall Vectra 2.0SRi
https://imgur.com/a/lWFNH
https://imgur.com/a/7OgO9
Some Cars have Chrome Rims!
https://imgur.com/a/mhSOf
https://imgur.com/a/FxW8I

Last edited:
Wow @SWAGMASTER69 way to introduce yourself xD

I'll be getting that while it's hot~~
Also, those magnificent high res screenshots 0w0
I particularly like the SSR5 one. As a 3D modeler, it's very interesting to see a wireframe :D

EDIT: This thing is s-weeeeeeeet. The only thing it lacks is a demo :3
Some of the Screens are just black images, is that normal?

Also, there a wireframe shot of about every track in the game! And the HD renders are quite beautiful. Awesome!

Last edited:
Hey guys, how do you change the car names for replays? Is it like with track swapping or something different?

I want to try changing the japanese cars in GT2 with their appropriate names such as renaming the S14 240SXs as Silvias, 3000GTs to GTOs, & etc.

Thank You @SWAGMASTER69 for shared your press CD, i have found a lot of interesting things!

The tracks have the beta names in the files like Sprint, Parma, Plum Strip, Rome Night Drive and finally we have discovered the truth! And i see a lot of strange car colors!

TVR Speed 12 with more colors!

Lotus Elise 111S That @B_rad88! have posted time ago

A Yellow Bmw 840Ci

Opel And Vauxhall Vectra 2.0SRi
https://imgur.com/a/lWFNH
https://imgur.com/a/7OgO9
Some Cars have Chrome Rims!
https://imgur.com/a/mhSOf
https://imgur.com/a/FxW8I

I like that multi-colored TVR...

And there was also another Vectra before we got the 2.5 V6 model... since that one was the 2.0 SRi, I assume it would've performed similar to the Astra, since the Astra in GT2 is also a 2.0 SRi model.

Hey guys, how do you change the car names for replays? Is it like with track swapping or something different?

I want to try changing the japanese cars in GT2 with their appropriate names such as renaming the S14 240SXs as Silvias, 3000GTs to GTOs, & etc.

IIRC, there's a cheat code out there that renames your car in the replay, without you having to go into the files via hex editor. I believe it only works on the US GT2 version 1.0 though...

I
IIRC, there's a cheat code out there that renames your car in the replay, without you having to go into the files via hex editor. I believe it only works on the US GT2 version 1.0 though...
I don't think that's for me, I want something more permanent.

Pretty sure there is also a limit of characters that can be used when renaming the cars also.
B_radd can confirm as he has successfully done this before

Yes you can change the names of cars, replays names are in "carinfoa" for usa discs, "carinfoe" for pal and "carinfoj" for japan, garage names are located in a weird named file "undist......" something in the arcade folder.

Your only allowed to use the alotted spaces or else it will glitch the car names. Example, you change plymouth "muscle car" to "roadrunner" as its the same # of blocks any more will glitch the rest of the cars names.

Same goes for carcolor files to change the names of the car colors, as I corrected the 82 starlet jetliner silver to pistachio green!

EDIT: name change example since I hate to taurus (as thats known) I renamed the "ford taurus sho '99" to:

Screenshot_2017-08-30-14-59-34.png

Screenshot_2017-08-30-14-59-28.png

Yes that says "flying turds nascar"!

And

I also added a porsche to gt2!

Screenshot_2017-08-24-04-18-35.png

And the garage name change of the porsche from a ruf "delete" to:

Screenshot_2017-08-24-03-49-01.png

Lol some teaser pics for you!

Last edited:
Use a hex editor to change car names, it's simple.
e.g. if you want to change the name of the S14 Silvia, search this text value: Nissan 240SX K's Aero '96 after change to whatever you want.
Yes you can change the names of cars, replays names are in "carinfoa" for usa discs, "carinfoe" for pal and "carinfoj" for japan, garage names are located in a weird named file "undist......" something in the arcade folder.
Thank you both.

I'm giving it a try now.

EDIT:
The Ruf Turbo R would suit that name more, just saying.

EDIT #2: I did it, sort of. This doesn't look quite right.
Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Renaming S13.jpg

Anyway, I know why of course. It's because of when I renamed the S14s to Silvias, I deleted some things in the naming process. Now, everything is messed up. Luckily, I have a backup. I'll fix it in the morning.

Last edited:
Thank you both.

I'm giving it a try now.

EDIT:

The Ruf Turbo R would suit that name more, just saying.

EDIT #2: I did it, sort of. This doesn't look quite right.
View attachment 672920

Anyway, I know why of course. It's because of when I renamed the S14s to Silvias, I deleted some things in the naming process. Now, everything is messed up. Luckily, I have a backup. I'll fix it in the morning.
I have been meaning to try it for a while and got it first go. Just follow B_rad88's rule and you'll have no issues.
I just renamed the Taurus [R] to Taurus Nascar and it came up fine.

I have been meaning to try it for a while and got it first go. Just follow B_rad88's rule and you'll have no issues.
I just renamed the Taurus [R] to Taurus Nascar and it came up fine.
Yeah, I know now. I'm going to do that.
I'm also going to fix a few other things while I'm at it.

EDIT: I did it! I was able to change the names without messing anything up. I not only fixed the S14 Silvias, but also did some name changing on other cars. It felt strange calling the normal XJ220 a race car, so now there's just a year listed. The TRD3000GT and Honda Accord '96 RMs now have more appropriate names. This also comfirms with me that renaming over the dots in the hex editor is fine.
Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Castrol Accord.png Gran Turismo 2 Mod - FET Supra.png Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Jaguar XJ220 1.png Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Jaguar XJ220 2.png Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Nissan Silvia K's.png

On top of that, I decided to fix a texture error I had on the 1996 Supra and now I was able to successfully apply the black Castrol livery that MMRivit made.
Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Castrol Supra Black.png Gran Turismo 2 Mod - Castrol Supra Black_2.png

Last edited:
Here's more GT2 Test Drive cars, from Germany this time.

First off, I confirm that the Opel version of the Calibra was called the Calibra DTM '95:
Screenshot_20170916-101045.png

However, the Tigra was slightly different, called the Opel Tigra Chamonix Race '98:
Screenshot_20170916-101113.png

The Audi A3 was the 1.8 Sport model in GT2:
Screenshot_20170916-100531.png

Screenshot_20170916-100535.png

The Audi A4 2.8 quattro was incorrectly referred to as the A4 Avant, but the good news is we now know the name of the cut A4 Avant!
Screenshot_20170916-100601.png

The BMW 840Ci was the 840Ci Sports, according to its logo:
Screenshot_20170916-100934.png

The VW Polo hidden in the final game exists in this demo, alongside many other cut VWs:
Screenshot_20170916-101805.png

Screenshot_20170916-101808.png

And here's two interesting discoveries / things I noticed:

1. What's the RUF BTR model which appears in the garage? Because typing a code for the final BTR Type I or Type II just gets me standard "(R) RX-7 A-Spec LM Edition" text. In fact, the only RUFs from the final that exist at this point are the 993 chassis ones.
Screenshot_20170916-101519.png

2. What's this VW Golf model? You know, the one with the chrome grille and no rims:
Screenshot_20170916-102101.png

Typing the Golf 2.3 V5 and GTI 1.8T codes give me Altezza placholders, and the Golf V6 doesn't even exist at this point.

I knew about the Golf before I got GT2 Test Drive, however I always thought it was just an early version of an existing Golf from the final game.
Okay then. Well, it probably is an earlier version of an existing Golf. PD just never took it out. Remember the soft top Elises in the final version? Well, this is similar to that. Even when PD has a finalized version of some cars, they still keep old assets on the discs sometimes, but just hide them for whatever reason.

EDIT: I've been trying more logo swapping and I'm still learning it seems. I made a new logo for the Audi S4 and it looks fine except it's in grayscale. I forgot that I should have made a new file instead that was in RGB.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know now. I'm going to do that.
I'm also going to fix a few other things while I'm at it.

EDIT: I did it! I was able to change the names without messing anything up. I not only fixed the S14 Silvias, but also did some name changing on other cars. It felt strange calling the normal XJ220 a race car, so now there's just a year listed. The TRD3000GT and Honda Accord '96 RMs now have more appropriate names. This also comfirms with me that renaming over the dots in the hex editor is fine.
View attachment 673005 View attachment 673008 View attachment 673009 View attachment 673010 View attachment 673011

On top of that, I decided to fix a texture error I had on the 1996 Supra and now I was able to successfully apply the black Castrol livery that MMRivit made.
View attachment 673006 View attachment 673007
Awesome work!
Can you clarify though what you mean about "dots" in the hex editor?

Got it!
There needs to be a program that loads up the names with an easy to view program rather than HEX and a way to match the names to the right body's because there's a lot of cars with multiple versions of themselves and then different race mods. It would be great to have something where you can just click on the car image and rename it. I imagine that would be pretty tough to make though.

Back