Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Discovered something odd with tyre grip.
I was driving Skyline R30 Silhouette at the well known Red Rock Valley race for money. As with supersofts it was too easy i was equipping less and less grippy tyres. (pretty hard on sports, but doable just fine in the end)
I finally changed to Normal tyres and they behave almost the same as softs/super softs!

Rough Lap times:
Softs 1:05
Sports 1:08
Normal 1:05

Last edited:
That's because all race cars's normal tires are in fact Race Hard or Medium compounds, I forget which exactly. Just plain copy-pasted data into normal tires.

It would've been better if they'd come equipped stock with Race medium tires, but maybe it wasn't something that was possible with how GT2 was programmed at the time, so it's an easy solution. Plus, it wouldn't be logical to have road tires on a race car, so they had to give them good compounds.

I wonder if the reason the Road Runner is named "Muscle Car" in GT2 is comparable to Gangrel's name in WWE games at the time. SmackDown 1 and 2 had this at startup:
Gangrel created by White Wolf, Inc. Gangrel is a trademark of White Wolf, Inc. All rights reserved.

It would've been better if they'd come equipped stock with Race medium tires, but maybe it wasn't something that was possible with how GT2 was programmed at the time, so it's an easy solution. Plus, it wouldn't be logical to have road tires on a race car, so they had to give them good compounds.

Then why didnt they just make them unselectable like dirt tyres on many cars (which i consider a shame)

I'm pretty sure it's because the tire selection depends on the tracks and not on the cars. At least for road tires. Dirt tires must also have a flag per car to tell the game when they can and can't buy them (or equip them for cars that come with them)
Good question though.

I wonder if the reason the Road Runner is named "Muscle Car" in GT2 is comparable to Gangrel's name in WWE games at the time. SmackDown 1 and 2 had this at startup:

I believe it was called Muscle Car because the name Road Runner was really expensive, as they had to pay Warner Bros for the licence.
There also should be a picture of the Road Runner on the Plymouth Superbird's spoiler if i'm correct, which is also missing because of the same reason.

Edit : It's even missing on the GT4 variant.

It would've been better if they'd come equipped stock with Race medium tires, but maybe it wasn't something that was possible with how GT2 was programmed at the time

As far as I'm aware it should be technically possible to have Race Medium on the car as it's bought, but I believe they'll still show up as buyable rather than bought.

Dirt tires must also have a flag per car to tell the game when they can and can't buy them

It's simply whether the car has a dirt tyres part defined or not. I haven't checked to see whether it's the compound or the upgrade level that is checked for dirt events however.

I believe it was called Muscle Car because the name Road Runner was really expensive, as they had to pay Warner Bros for the licence.
There also should be a picture of the Road Runner on the Plymouth Superbird's spoiler if i'm correct, which is also missing because of the same reason.

Edit : It's even missing on the GT4 variant.
The point was that WWE at the time had to pay White Wolf (makers of a tabletop RPG) for the Gangrel name.

Yeah, and the same applied to Polyhony Digital who had to pay millions for the Roadrunner name.

You said "i wonder", i didn't know you already knew, just wanted to confirm your theory.

I dunno if this thing is already posted, then here it is: every time you enter in a race, the sponsors on the billboards change always. Also if the track is the same, the sponsors are different. You can notice well on rally races (because you must complete three races in the same track). You can see also Acura, Vauxhall and Infiniti sponsors in releases that haven't these cars

I dunno if this thing is already posted, then here it is: every time you enter in a race, the sponsors on the billboards change always. Also if the track is the same, the sponsors are different. You can notice well on rally races (because you must complete three races in the same track). You can see also Acura, Vauxhall and Infiniti sponsors in releases that haven't these cars

That's already been posted here just as the post you made on the GT3 forum mate. :D

Any update regarding the .psf files? I have been trying to get clean .seq files coming from the japanese release of Gran Turismo 2 since a long time to explore some chord voicings used in-game. There are a few differences with older versions and this is the offical way to confirm.

Last edited:
I think it's been a while since the last time there was a real discovery on GT2, but since I have never seen what i'm about to post... I mean it's too big to not have been famous already if it had been found.

So I was working on my mod (specifically minimap edits) and I got to Rome, and for my mod i'm also altering the license tracks in order to have more accurate depiction of what's driveable, and what's not, plus what's rendered if you get to it.

And then there was license_roma. license_roma is the track you drive the Afla Romeo 156 abd 155 DTM on in the licenses. And I never expected to find this on it.

It's a BLOCKOUT of Rome. I would say, this track has to have been made REALLY EARLY in development to have been left like this. Apart from the modelled area where you drive during the test, this track feel so much more... unfinished? Unstarted? It's amazing.

Last edited:
It's already been shown before, but I decided to make my own video of lic_seattle to show its vast emptiness :P

However instead of being a blockout/barely started like Rome was, my guess is that PD simply removed all the unneeded scenery to optimize the file size, because the road itself, is very much completed, down to the bumps on the railroad tracks.
Seattle also had a much different look when it was unfinished, and the roads were very different compared to this.

Was cleaning my room and found a GT2 demo disc - a quick search found that physical versions aren't the most common. It's known as SCED-02417; is there any interest in it?

Browsing on the Internet, I found a beta image of the Gran Turismo 2 driving license mode. Also note the Lotus Elise with the soft top used in driving licenses.

Maybe it's nothing new, but I just wanted to point out.

Well it's new to me, I haven't seen that license test menu before. Great find! 👍
It looks like B & A license would be dumped and I-C & I-B would take their spot here. That makes some sense out of the license order in the final game, I always wondered why there was an I-C license and not a regular C license.

Latest Posts

Back