Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 2' started by HACKr, Mar 30, 2006.

1. submaniac93

submaniac93

Welp x)

2. karelpipa

karelpipa

Discovered something odd with tyre grip.
    I was driving Skyline R30 Silhouette at the well known Red Rock Valley race for money. As with supersofts it was too easy i was equipping less and less grippy tyres. (pretty hard on sports, but doable just fine in the end)
    I finally changed to Normal tyres and they behave almost the same as softs/super softs!

Rough Lap times:
    Softs 1:05
    Sports 1:08
    Normal 1:05

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. submaniac93

submaniac93

That's because all race cars's normal tires are in fact Race Hard or Medium compounds, I forget which exactly. Just plain copy-pasted data into normal tires.

4. pez2k

pez2k

Stock tyres on the R30 Silhouette (and likely all tarmac racecars) are Race Medium compound, yes.

5. karelpipa

karelpipa

strange choice by PD but they definitely feel like slicks

6. submaniac93

submaniac93

It would've been better if they'd come equipped stock with Race medium tires, but maybe it wasn't something that was possible with how GT2 was programmed at the time, so it's an easy solution. Plus, it wouldn't be logical to have road tires on a race car, so they had to give them good compounds.

karelpipa likes this.
  7. tankuroded

tankuroded

I wonder if the reason the Road Runner is named "Muscle Car" in GT2 is comparable to Gangrel's name in WWE games at the time. SmackDown 1 and 2 had this at startup:

8. karelpipa

karelpipa

Then why didnt they just make them unselectable like dirt tyres on many cars (which i consider a shame)

9. submaniac93

submaniac93

I'm pretty sure it's because the tire selection depends on the tracks and not on the cars. At least for road tires. Dirt tires must also have a flag per car to tell the game when they can and can't buy them (or equip them for cars that come with them)
    Good question though.

10. JSHuiting

JSHuiting

I believe it was called Muscle Car because the name Road Runner was really expensive, as they had to pay Warner Bros for the licence.
    There also should be a picture of the Road Runner on the Plymouth Superbird's spoiler if i'm correct, which is also missing because of the same reason.

Edit : It's even missing on the GT4 variant.

11. pez2k

pez2k

As far as I'm aware it should be technically possible to have Race Medium on the car as it's bought, but I believe they'll still show up as buyable rather than bought.

It's simply whether the car has a dirt tyres part defined or not. I haven't checked to see whether it's the compound or the upgrade level that is checked for dirt events however.

12. tankuroded

tankuroded

The point was that WWE at the time had to pay White Wolf (makers of a tabletop RPG) for the Gangrel name.

13. JSHuiting

JSHuiting

Yeah, and the same applied to Polyhony Digital who had to pay millions for the Roadrunner name.

You said "i wonder", i didn't know you already knew, just wanted to confirm your theory.

14. Sal_89

Sal_89

I dunno if this thing is already posted, then here it is: every time you enter in a race, the sponsors on the billboards change always. Also if the track is the same, the sponsors are different. You can notice well on rally races (because you must complete three races in the same track). You can see also Acura, Vauxhall and Infiniti sponsors in releases that haven't these cars

15. Castrol96

Castrol96

That's already been posted here just as the post you made on the GT3 forum mate. :D

16. submaniac93

submaniac93

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned it before. But yeah, most billboards to change all the time.

17. ItGivesYouWings

ItGivesYouWings

Any update regarding the .psf files? I have been trying to get clean .seq files coming from the japanese release of Gran Turismo 2 since a long time to explore some chord voicings used in-game. There are a few differences with older versions and this is the offical way to confirm.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019