Seasonal Event - SSR5 is the most fun I've had on GT5 so far.

• Thread starter MidianGTX
  • 180 comments
Just finished this one in a Spec-V with aero modifications, LSD and the soft tyres.

I took most of the settings from this setup: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4315059 and was able to do second place on the first try then narrow the gap by 5 seconds or so over the next three attempts. It took four attempts in total, but I took the Ford GT by a little over 2 seconds after overtaking three turns prior to the final straight.

This whole seasonal race series has been the absolute best part of the game thus far. I was honestly pretty luke warm on the game at first - it's missing some very important cars - but this last patch has turned me around.

great work, PD.

This event was awesome. I agree with the opening poster.

I always want to race with the assists totally OFF. But sometimes the car is just not drivable. I could not reach 5th Place with everything turned OFF in this event.

So i turned all assists ON and drove around the track.. could not get past 2nd place.

Then i took all assists OFF, except for ABS and TCS (i set both at the minimum, being 1 of course). And this is what happened... 1ST Place :)

I was pleasantly surprised that the car was very very very drivable. In fact, it was great fun to drive.

I really want to race as "Real" as possible. But driving with everything OFF seems a bit unrealistic to me. I can drive well in some circuits with no assists, but in other races it's just 99% impossible to stay on track while not getting overtaken.

Do Real-Life cars handle in that 1% of impossibility? :sly:

I have been driving for 16 years (I drive stick).

And yes, i'm using the DFGT wheel in GT5 👍👍

Edit: just got 1st, 2nd try but got it. 3.231secs ahead of Ford GT, used him as breaks on the last little shicane. Here's the tune I used
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134699

Great little setup there. I pulled consistent low 1:27s. The only complain I have about that tune is that the car got really squirmy when you got on the brakes hard. I just adjusted to that and start tapping/using a soft foot on brakes. First place!

FINALLY!!! I DID IT!

Epic epic battle. Overtook the Ford on the last chicane before the finish line!! Heart was racing!

Did it in GT-R spec V '09, fully tuned weight, aero parts, Air filter, sport softs and a tune someone suggested. On unimpeded laps I was hitting 1 27s, was really fun, loved the flow of the circuit, skittering past the barriers and using normal overtaking maneuvers. Got 2nd at first because I kept messing it up and ending 1, 2 seconds back, then got it eventually.

It was fun, but... catch up to a Ford GT 30 secs ahead in a GTR? Those AI drivers must be on valium!

Abused a brand new SpecV for it:
NO oil change
all weight off
soft tyres
air filter to 492bhp
brake balance 5/3
all aids off including abs

Golded in second attempt.

Left foot braking is really handy to control the understeer.

Dissapointed... somehow I kept loosing by about 1 second... then magically one race I won by over 4 seconds... seems wrong somehow.

More dissapointed that it's over than anything though, it was great fun.

It's sad to think that after Jan 5 this challenge will be gone with no real way to reproduce it... maybe PD will leave them tucked away somewhere to still run if you want but for no credits or something :(

Just won it with stage 3 weight reduction and LSD. Put the torque to 45/55 as suggested and ensured i hit a 1.29 1st lap and then 1:28s there after and i took the ford GT40 on the last curling corner up to the start finish line:)

300k richer. Awsome. Shame i bought 2x V Spec for this after changing oil on the first one:/

You could have used one of your B-spec drivers to drive your Spec-V for 100-150 kilometers on an oval and make the fresh oil power bonus fade off.

Golded in second attempt.

Really? Damn! As I said in the other thread you people are 10X better then me... I'm running 2nd a good 4.5 seconds behind after THREE hours of working on the car / track.

Going to take some runs in practice against my ghost to figure out where I'm losing so much time. I can run high 1.28s, low 1.29s all day long. 1.27s seem impossible while weaving thru traffic, but at one point I ran a miracle lap of 1.26 (must have drafted two cars). Geared the car for acceleration, it just bounces off the rev limiter before the braking zone going into the tunnel. Car seems to like being driven HARD, if I turn in very aggressively the back end slides out and you can semi drift to the apex then power out under full throttle as the 4WD yanks the nose around, so putting down the power is no problem at all. I have noticed the last lap gets dicey as the tires are more worn out maybe? For some reason my braking points seem all wrong on the final lap. Still trying to dial out the mid corner push (understeer) this car has.

I was running the '89 GTR and it was hopeless, 8th was the best. However I didn't mess with the tuning that much. The '89 car was much lighter so I figured it would be better, but the '09 V-Spec just out accelerates and handles it. I was quickly into 3rd place using the new car, but after hours 2nd is all I can manage.

Car: 2009 Nissan GTR Spec V
Aero: Everything
Transmission type: Manual (I dont see how anybody could do this with AT)

(sheepishly raises hand in acknowledgment)

Yes, it took me a few attempts to gold. But doing it with AT is certainly possible. Won by about 2.5 seconds. I did slap on every permissible mod, however. I could have probably done without some, especially in the drivetrain department, but I go whole hog with mods on my cars. Probably the reason I can't buy an FGT yet. ;)

No horsepower mods except racing air filter. Ride height slammed all the way. Can't recall what the top speed for the tranny was set to, but it bumps off the redline just once before setting up for the tunnel turn.

ABS set to 1,and I think I set TCS to 2 or 3. All other driver options off. Oh, and this was with DS3. Kind of a goofy way to do it since other guys have won (and won handily) with modest mods, but to each his own. It worked for me.

I have a crappy R32 that I've never looked at since I won it on a free ticket. Anyone think it is capable of winning this event if I push it to max power and slim her down? Or should I just drop the CRs on a Premium version? Thanks.

PS I'm an awesome driver :)

Yep definitely the best race I've done in the game so far, it gives me a reason to buy cars, and its challenging, I've golded every one of the races, looking forward to the next batch!

Btw, anyone else notice the Christmas music going on in the main screen, before GT mode etc?

If you need to setup the suspension to Gold this event, there is something wrong with your driving abilities.

Just add the aero, the filter and sports soft tires and you're set.

I was running the '89 GTR and it was hopeless, 8th was the best. However I didn't mess with the tuning that much. The '89 car was much lighter so I figured it would be better, but the '09 V-Spec just out accelerates and handles it. I was quickly into 3rd place using the new car, but after hours 2nd is all I can manage.

I found bottoming out ride height and giving it a bit of camer and toe out helped some. Biggest time changers for me were the tight turns, first tight left ride it slow in second and accelerate hard out in a straight line. Then the next really tight left bring it all the way down to 1st and get on second and WOT shortly after apex (tricky with paddle shifters as the paddles will be all over the place) and lastly coming up from the under pass make sure you carry 3rd with good speed into that dark hard to see tight S and get on second and brake hard, then WOT again up the sweeping right.

Once I started nailing those it all fell into place.

If you need to setup the suspension to Gold this event, there is something wrong with your driving abilities.

Just add the aero, the filter and sports soft tires and you're set.

I refuse to believe you golded this without a tranny upgrade...

I refuse to believe you golded this without a tranny upgrade...
I did, ran 1'27's throughout, and got the Gold by a half second. The GT is much quicker in a straight line, passed him going into the chicane on the last lap.

I did, ran 1'27's throughout, and got the Gold by a half second. The GT is much quicker in a straight line, passed him going into the chicane on the last lap.

That's where I passed him also.. but without shorter gears I don't think I could have ever caught him in the first place... after many tries with just a close 6 speed I was not even close to taking 2nd. You must just a be a far faster driver than I!

I used a stock 09 GTR Vspec from the dealership.
Proper tires and all weight reduction. That alone got me 1st.

I agree that it's a pretty fun race.

Do you really need so many upgrades? I only did a stage 3 lightening and added sports suspension and sports softs and won the race.

I tip my hats to both of you. I'm still locked into 2nd place. I always manage to see the tail lights of that darn Ford GT :yuck:

This reminds me of the stock or near stock 200-point A-Spec races in GT4. I tried the even with a modified R32 and that dog**** just slides around everywhere, and then I come here to find out a heavier '09 GTR gets the job done. LOL, I guess the 09's come with better grip?
I'm looking to dump the R32 for a GTR V-Spec, anyone want to trade? 0-mile for 0-mile?

I totally agree, these overtaking special events feel so different to the rest of the game. I did the first one and could only manage 2nd, but I didn't care cos I loved it! This is really exciting racing and you have to push from start to finish, great stuff! :)

its because they actually have restrictions to make it more challenging.. I dont know why they didnt have restrictions in power and weight, tires in career mode......

These events have been great! The restrictions make it interesting and not having a pile of cars into the first corner means you actually need to drive properly to get through the field. Hopefully they keep events like these coming. :)

You can actually beat this event with a stock GT-R on sports soft with an oil change, which I just did with a 4 second gap to second place on first try.

For the ones that haven't managed to beat it so far; specifically look for points to improve and try to be consistent. Should be manageable with the mods that are allowed.

This event was pretty fun to do. I only managed to get third but the combination of turns and maneuvering around opponents on my G27 was quite a thrill.

Just tried this event a couple times with a GT-R V Spec '09 and was able to turn out a 2nd place thanks to mazdaman's tune. Problem is that I finished about 14sec back of the leader......any other tips or tricks I should know about for this race? I'm churning out pretty consistent 1:30 lap times, what should I be aiming for?

Back