Server maintenance??

• Thread starter AMH_
  • 517 comments
I like how they mentioned
"The Gran Turismo Sport Open Beta Test is currently experiencing an interruption in the following online features"
Why not just say.
"The Gran Turismo Sport Open Beta Test is currently experiencing an interruption that affects all the game"

Online features okay, but if it's only online then why can't we play offline? Hmm?
Instead just tell it how it is.

And once again. a 4 day demo/beta turns into 3 day.

What the hell is wrong with the servers? PD keeps adding notifications that they apologize for this and that and that servers are now restored bla bla bla it works for half an hour and boom they're down

This better be ironed out before I get home from work tonight. That was a frustrating afternoon of 'fun', or trying to have fun.

The game is good, graphics are decent, challenges are fun... But wow, 6 days from launch and this is the network environment?

Hmm thought I would go and complete the 30 lap mission this evening. Guess not :'(

I hope the campaign will work in offline mode in the full version because this is just stupid.

Edit: it's back online for me

Hmm thought I would go and complete the 30 lap mission this evening. Guess not :'(

I hope the campaign will work in offline mode in the full version because this is just stupid.

Edit: it's back online for me
From the official online manual.
NOTE: Online Saving Only
Gran Turismo Sport only supports online saving. Your game progress data will be stored on the online server. Please be aware, therefore, that any progress you make while offline cannot be saved (certain contents are saved onto the PlayStation®4 console's hard disk drive.) If you are playing offline, you will be able to use previously saved game progress data.

Players Disconnected = PD :P

I'm pretty sure they will have it fixed before release date, that's why they let us play it again so close to the date! to iron out the final creases in the last days.. have faith guys :D:tup:

Players Disconnected = PD :P

I'm pretty sure they will have it fixed before release date, that's why they let us play it again so close to the date! to iron out the final creases in the last days.. have faith guys :D:tup:

PD = Profound Distrust = faith difficult to come by :P

It's a long race isn't it, but a lovely track.

It's one of the tracks that really shows off the potential of GT Sport... this and other tracks destroys the other Gran Turismo games in one sense, that being the sense of realistic drops in elevation. There's one part, where my stomach went up into my throat from the feeling of dropping how many metres all in one shot. Also, Laguna Seca finally gives me that feeling too at the end of the corkscrew.

In that aspect alone, GT Sport is a WIN!!!

Cheers

From the official online manual.
NOTE: Online Saving Only
Gran Turismo Sport only supports online saving. Your game progress data will be stored on the online server. Please be aware, therefore, that any progress you make while offline cannot be saved (certain contents are saved onto the PlayStation®4 console's hard disk drive.) If you are playing offline, you will be able to use previously saved game progress data.

Which is a profoundly stupid design - it would be OK if this was a game with no single player component and was like a Quake Multiplayer server - there is no game save, it is a sand box.

But they have created a game that will make it possible for paying customers to put in an effort and then have that effort lost simply because the network had an issue.

Which is a profoundly stupid design - it would be OK if this was a game with no single player component and was like a Quake Multiplayer server - there is no game save, it is a sand box.

But they have created a game that will make it possible for paying customers to put in an effort and then have that effort lost simply because the network had an issue.

Yeah.. the loss of an instruction in the game to save temp completion details that can be updated to servers that have been offline when they return is a real kick in the nuts to the consumer! Especially If it's some kind of crazy endurance race that you pour sweat and blood into trying to complete it and never want to go back to it.. the way it is at the moment everyone will be a nervous wreck after the race is over just praying the server is connected to get the info :(

..fix this please PD 👎

I bet the folks in the concept meeting where too afraid to tell Kaz his idea was stupid - so they went ahead with the dumbest single player design in the history of gaming.

Come to think of it, this design concept is as stupid as a camera without film, without a memory card - and only a cellular phone connection - that only checks to see if the network is up after you take the picture and it tries to write real-time it to the server.

It is like a TV camera without a link to the broadcast unit.

The cameraman is the only one who sees the footage - once, as it happens.. LOL. We used to call this device a window.

This is company bankrupting stupidity at a level not often witnessed in the modern era.

Honestly, how did Kaz think this would be received?

And I have to ask - just what where you people in the closed beta test thinking?

This should have been your first point of complaint - did you folks not think a mechanism to save while offline was important?

Last edited:
And I have to ask - just what where you people in the closed beta test thinking?

This should have been your first point of complaint - did you folks not think a mechanism to save while offline was important?

I was in closed beta and if the servers were down at lease we had arcade mode though. Until PD took it away.

Was there a way to save or keep track of arcade progress? Or was the path to points to open content not in the beta product?

Ok - just concluded a bunch of testing. I believe I understand how it is supposed to work.

You start the game and it does an integrity check, then uploads the local save to the server, well, more of a sync with the server. It does not seem the server save will ever accept NEW data from the local cache - and only certain items are synced from the local save - others come from the server save.

This upload synced and server resident data combined and are saved to your server save and your local save - of course the server needs to be available, otherwise all current session progress will not be saved, even locally, which seems to be a definite weakness.

Then you continue daily Sport activity and Arcade activity.

You Blog and Diary etc. is an accumulation of the Sport server saved progress data and the synced arcade mode progress data from your previous download session.

This previous session data is stored so you have a loading point in case the servers are offline. But is seems the progress made while offline is NOT saved back to the local cache.

The local cache is only updated IF the server is available at the time you want to exit.

This means they are willing to jettison Arcade mode progress data at any point. The hope is that the server side preserved data is always there - integrity guaranteed.

But when an issue occurs server side they have no way of validating the now lost server side data - except by restoring their server side backups.

A very poor design to have these 2 separate sources with separate validation schemes.

And not saving Arcade mode progress simply because the server is unavailable is also a poor way of trying to maintain save data integrity.

Last edited:
After all this server shenanigans I decided to do a one hour race for Gr.3 at Dragon Trail against pro AI. I started last and didn't even pass one car until lap 2. I was concerned at the BMW fuel tank size as they stayed out for so long but I passed second place in the pits and saw the leader heading down to turn 2. I took the lead later that lap and finished with a 3.7 second lead. Bloody good race that you just couldn't do in either GT5 or 6. This game is a stunning return to form crippled by prologue content for full game money and shockingly bad server save insanity.

I did get the rewards for the race by the way.

Demo version now can handle more users, so replacing the server configuration, so please wait patiently. Takes time. Understand, I'm sorry. #GTsport

Demo version now can handle more users, so replacing the server configuration, so please wait patiently. Takes time. Understand, I'm sorry. #GTsport

That said as the demo ends at 8 am tomorrow morning.

Oh, it does? :(

Yes.
The GT Sport demo has been available to pre-load by PlayStation Plus members for the past few days, but it only unlocked today. Non-Plus members receive access later today, at 6 PM PT / 9 PM ET on October 9 (2 AM BST / 12 PM AEDT on October 10). Hopefully you have fast internet or some time to try it soon, as the demo will only be available from the PlayStation Store until 8 PM PT on October 11. It can be played until October 12 at 8 AM PT.

So while letting more people in right as the demo ends is a very "bold" move to make the transition into full game easier.

Ok - just concluded a bunch of testing. I believe I understand how it is supposed to work.

You start the game and it does an integrity check, then uploads the local save to the server, well, more of a sync with the server. It does not seem the server save will ever accept NEW data from the local cache - and only certain items are synced from the local save - others come from the server save.

This upload synced and server resident data combined and are saved to your server save and your local save - of course the server needs to be available, otherwise all current session progress will not be saved, even locally, which seems to be a definite weakness.

Then you continue daily Sport activity and Arcade activity.

You Blog and Diary etc. is an accumulation of the Sport server saved progress data and the synced arcade mode progress data from your previous download session.

This previous session data is stored so you have a loading point in case the servers are offline. But is seems the progress made while offline is NOT saved back to the local cache.

The local cache is only updated IF the server is available at the time you want to exit.

This means they are willing to jettison Arcade mode progress data at any point. The hope is that the server side preserved data is always there - integrity guaranteed.

But when an issue occurs server side they have no way of validating the now lost server side data - except by restoring their server side backups.

A very poor design to have these 2 separate sources with separate validation schemes.

And not saving Arcade mode progress simply because the server is unavailable is also a poor way of trying to maintain save data integrity.

It wouldn't be to difficult to allow offline save and progress and verify it by an algorithme once the servers come online and let it sync. Should work either way! Sheer stupidity to allow one way only :ouch:

We'll see how it works out over the months to come.

Yes ! I think the demo was a good crash test. I hope servers will be solid for launch.

I've only ever read the comments here (haven't played the demo myself), but am I the only one who's not surprised about the server issues? GT5p to GT6 was enough to establish a track record concerning Gran Turismo's online stability which generally was never that great. One of the reasons I found and still find GTS's direction somewhat questionable.

Although what has surprised me is to hear about the "you have to be online and connected or else" concerning game saves, even for offline content. :ouch:

Yes.
The GT Sport demo has been available to pre-load by PlayStation Plus members for the past few days, but it only unlocked today. Non-Plus members receive access later today, at 6 PM PT / 9 PM ET on October 9 (2 AM BST / 12 PM AEDT on October 10). Hopefully you have fast internet or some time to try it soon, as the demo will only be available from the PlayStation Store until 8 PM PT on October 11. It can be played until October 12 at 8 AM PT.

So while letting more people in right as the demo ends is a very "bold" move to make the transition into full game easier.

Welp. All nighter it is.

Back