Share your GT Mode first impressions

Are you guys serious? 99% of the people wanted a Single Player mode - we got it for free literally a few of hours ago and here you are complaining how bad it is...well if you are not happy let's just tell PD to rollback the update... just don't get the negativity towards the game so far...

Can player take back their money and pay little by little each time they update the content? Is player's hard earned money if not meet their expectation of course people have the right to be angry, don't try to defend a game when so many people disappointed, it will just make the series going downhill more and more in the future.

My first impressions after doing the 5 Sunday cup races.

I’m really enjoying it! This reminds me of what GT has always been for me. I have a bunch of cars in my garage and the restrictions for a certain race limit my garage choices so that I have only a handful of cars to choose from.

I hope with each big future content update more races and championships will be added to GT League. We need more classic cars, we need more tracks and they all need to be part of the expanding GT League.

But hey, what we have now is a start! Since it got added now that is also a way of PD acknowledging that they made a mistake by leaving the biggest appealing single player content from previous titles out of the game.

It would also be nice to have a reason to redo the races but with different cars. Maybe after having done each race of a GT League section (e.g. Beginner League) with 5 different cars or something you will get a high value gift car that is not in your garage yet.

I did some races in the sunday and cluman cup.... Man those feeling it brings. I love it. Yeah it’s just some races, but it’s something nice to do and a way to earn money. And you can just drive and create nice pictures afterwards. Oh and you don’t have to worry about stupid people that don’t play fair. Because that is my biggest gripe with gts. No control over the “fun” factor. When it’s great it’s great, but it can be really annoying when you’re being trolled at the last lap of a 10 lap race.

It is a free update, that's a great thing, so i don't want to be one of those complaining, and yes, this mode will be expanded at some point... however... i was really looking forward to GT Leagues, but so far it has been a let down for me. Just 2 cups and 6 single races in the pro league? Only two endurance races? Thats not much. And then there are weird things like the boxer cup... where you drive an 911 GT3 RS against slow Subarus and the VW Samba bus... oh well. And there are no championships and no real progression system here, seems to me it won't even matter doing all races or not. Coming from the Forza drivers cup mode, this all is just a bit underwhelming.

All I will say at this point is that those who were claiming that this addition was always on PDs roadmap and had been long planned were wide of the mark to say the least.

This is simply a cut and paste of old GT mode material with the current content added in, nothing suggesting this was anything other than a knee jerk reaction to the complaints about a lack of single player content.

Now for those asking what should it have had, that's seriously not a difficult one to answer, hell past GT modes have had some of it.

• Race weekend structure with practice and qualification
  • The ability to vary race length
  • AI that provides a challenge rather than rubber banding
  • Variable level AI
  • Multi race championship events
  • Multi class events (after all the structure for this is already in place)
As for the claims that other titles would have charged for this! Seriously are people at the point of defending PD to not even realise that other titles don't need to charge for this because they had it in place from the start! That is quite frankly the most absurd attempt at deflection I've seen in a long while, hell even AC (which was rightly criticised for its limited single player) offered far more than this out of the box.

An argument exists that we did play for this, as GTS was a prologue priced as a full price release (at least AC had the good sense to not go out as a full priced title).

The new car content is great and very, very welcome; but the single player is a poor version of the same formula that has been rushed out to try and solve an issue of PDs own making.

• Variable level AI
Hopefully people will realise at some point, these features were in the game from the start in custom races. It's been pointed out several times.

Putting glossy menus and trying to make people think they are competing in something that isn't incredibly stale compared to online racing was a mistake.

I would rather PD just created a banner in the game that said 'OFFLINE IS IN THE CUSTOM RACES!!!!!'

I tried out a custom race for research sake, I reduced the power of my car and increased the weight, I treated the AI like I would treat online racers - backing out of passes and avoiding contact at all cost, yes I still won the race, but it was close.

• Variable level AI
Hopefully people will realise at some point, these features were in the game from the start in custom races. It's been pointed out several times.

Putting glossy menus and trying to make people think they are competing in something that isn't incredibly stale compared to online racing was a mistake.

I would rather PD just created a banner in the game that said 'OFFLINE IS IN THE CUSTOM RACES!!!!!'

I tried out a custom race for research sake, I reduced the power of my car and increased the weight, I treated the AI like I would treat online racers - backing out of passes and avoiding contact at all cost, yes I still won the race, but it was close.
People do realise that, so the shouting isn't really needed by PD, nor would it help.

Not quite sure why it's such of an ask to have these features in both a custom race mode and a dedicated single player?

Curated race events have long been a staple of racing titles, so it's not as if the ask represents some kind of revolutionary demand.

As such just saying use custom races comes across to a lot of people as lazy and I'll considered on the part of the developer. After all many argue that PD and Kaz do this because they love the fans so much, so a little of that love would be welcome for the many, many players who enjoy this side of racing.

Curated races are so stale, fine for people who can fall into the immersion of thinking they are competing against anything but scripted code.

If it was in VR, then I might be able to lose myself and pretend like it's something other than code.

Previous F1 games I've played had OK offline careers, but that was a massive part of the game, not something that can be patched in without effectively creating another game to sit within the game.

PS. I wasn't shouting, that was the font to be used for the in game banner, expecting people who haven't found the custom races probably wont see a low font banner on their game screen.

Curated races are so stale, fine for people who can fall into the immersion of thinking they are competing against anything but scripted code.

If it was in VR, then I might be able to lose myself and pretend like it's something other than code.

Previous F1 games I've played had OK offline careers, but that was a massive part of the game, not something that can be patched in without effectively creating another game to sit within the game.

PS. I wasn't shouting, that was the font to be used for the in game banner, expecting people who haven't found the custom races probably wont see a low font banner on their game screen.
The shouting bit wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

However just because you don't like single player events, doesn't mean that many others are not looking for that.

Hell I've had better, fairer races against AI in other titles than I have against people in GTs Sport mode.

Not that I can see how custom event answers any if your issues, I would have thought you would have been looking to remove all single player elements bar hot lapping if that was the case.

Kind of, remove single player and hours of AI coding for it only to get complained about, use the time for more real tracks and force people to online.

If the offline races used the penalty system for contact, and included a secret rogue AI that would try for any gap, then it would serve a purpose for absolute beginners, with the aim of preparing them for online races.

Kind of, remove single player and hours of AI coding for it only to get complained about, use the time for more real tracks and force people to online.
Not the same people, so you are not going to gain in that way.

If the offline races used the penalty system for contact, and included a secret rogue AI that would try for any gap, then it would serve a purpose for absolute beginners, with the aim of preparing them for online races.
You mean like other titles have managed to do.

In a nutshell it seems your issue is not with off-line races, but rather with the manner in which some series implement them.

However the idea of forcing everyone on-line just doesn't work if you want a commercially successful title. Even with the very limited single player and almost pure 'on-line is where its at' PD tried with GTS the percentages sticking with on-line is below 50% and the number even just watching the videos required for either lobbies or Sport mode is dropping steadily over time.

Last edited:
  • Variable level AI

In addition to what @Scaff said,
custom races are missing a critical part of the single player experience: progression.

Standalone, user created races with no context behind them are not the same as going through a full career mode with events that gradually become more difficult and give better rewards as you go in deeper.

Custom races should complement the single player by adding replay value once the career mode itself is completed, not be the main part of it.

The update gives the old school Gran Turismo mode, and it plays just like that. So you just get a fast car and win. I guess in the old games most people just bought the most expensive stage 3 upgrades (e.g. turbo, na tuning) and then just grind the races until they could buy the car they wanted to use for hot lapping?

While i am happy with the new cars and track it seems that after playing the GT mode i prefer the new more focused vision for the single player with the challenges and tests than the old "grind" mode. Also as we have a really good custom race function the replay value for the offline part feels much better than in the old titles. I just think they need to make the custom race feature more visible instead of putting it in the arcade mode menu.

But with this update the game allowed for both play styles so i guess more people will enjoy the game and that is always a good thing.

GT-Mode is pointless as it runs the same way as arcade races.

In order for a new MODE to be viable it has to add something DIFFERENT to the game. With 12 cars in a race I don't think grid starts would be a problem. Add Qualifying and AI that runs to a pace rather than slows down then speeds up and you have to basis to have proper RACES in a structured multi race GT style against AI for players that will not race online.

It is no good saying you should just race online. Anybody with the tolerance for other player behaviour will have already done that. The ones left - the majority that generate the sales numbers - must have the game modes to allow them to play the way they want.

Assetto Corso can do this. Project Cars can do this. GTS MUST be able to do this. There is no excuse for repeating the EXACT same mistake as GT6.

The shouting bit wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

However just because you don't like single player events, doesn't mean that many others are not looking for that.

Hell I've had better, fairer races against AI in other titles than I have against people in GTs Sport mode.

Not that I can see how custom event answers any if your issues, I would have thought you would have been looking to remove all single player elements bar hot lapping if that was the case.

Why did any fans buy GTS if they wanted purely single player? It was never billed as "the GT of old". I bought GTS knowing what to expect and online racing is where the future of racing games are heading. AI is stale, repetitive and boring in any title now. Yes I've played PCars and AC. Didn't get past a week or so of game play. Online was horrible in both. The last F1 game for me was 2015. Online horrible, and AI boring.

GTS custom races offer far better single player options, but players couldn't be bothered and wanted the old formula. Now they get it and "it's copy and paste" lol. It wasn't intended for this game, so I wouldn't expect PD to plough resources into something they obviously don't want to be doing in this title. They've just chucked the moaners a bone, and they still moan.

The only time I've done any single player in GT was for the missions and circuit exp. I did a few custom races to get a feel for the game and Sport mode since then, because this game is, first and foremost, an online, PvP racer. If I wanted a "career" I would've bought a different game.

Why did any fans buy GTS if they wanted purely single player? It was never billed as "the GT of old". I bought GTS knowing what to expect and online racing is where the future of racing games are heading. AI is stale, repetitive and boring in any title now. Yes I've played PCars and AC. Didn't get past a week or so of game play. Online was horrible in both. The last F1 game for me was 2015. Online horrible, and AI boring.

GTS custom races offer far better single player options, but players couldn't be bothered and wanted the old formula. Now they get it and "it's copy and paste" lol. It wasn't intended for this game, so I wouldn't expect PD to plough resources into something they obviously don't want to be doing in this title. They've just chucked the moaners a bone, and they still moan.

The only time I've done any single player in GT was for the missions and circuit exp. I did a few custom races to get a feel for the game and Sport mode since then, because this game is, first and foremost, an online, PvP racer. If I wanted a "career" I would've bought a different game.
This has been discussed many, many times.

The vast majority of GT buyers are not following every development of the title in detail. They are casual buyers who purchase it based on what it was before, more stats and sources than I care to mention have shown this.

As for wanting the career mode to be the same as before, your massively wide of the mark on that. Most people here has been calling for PD to overhaul it since GT3, just because many want a substantial single player doesn't mean they want the same thing rehashed over and over again.

Nor is AI boring, repetitive and stale in other titles, however that's not really a discussion for this thread.

Welp, depending on who you are, GT Mode League represents either:
  • A reminder of everything that was painfully wrong and stale with the Gran Turismo series' "chase the rabbit" single player, except with less tracks
OR:
  • A welcome return to comfy single player racing, where you start at the back of the pack, can't qualify, can use pushover AI cars as cushions, and can have a relaxing 5-lap race as you tick off yet another checkbox trophy on your way to ticking off ALL of the checkboxes
Which is it for you, dear posters? All opinions and open discussion welcome :cheers:
Hehe i lolled a bit. But.. if i think a about it..it couldnt have been that hard for PD to implement a GT League, with Qualifying, even with Safety Ratings (a version for Single Player) and with variable difficulty in AI Settings.. i would have loved qualifying.

Yet this is still the relaxing, lets roll over the AI opponents and try out how much you can drift with the Skyline '02 while still winning the race kind of League Mode that i love and need :D

I appreciate the update, however, I see few points they can improve GT League.

1. Prize cars are nice, let us have some?
2. Add more restrictions or speed up the AI, it's way too easy.
3. Add Rally League.

I think not having prize cars in GT League (it would appear) makes sense in terms of game balance...

Sport mode does not provide prize cars so neither should GT League ....the cars come from challenges designed to make people better drivers and get more casual players used to pit stops and tyre wear...

The other way of course to get prize cars is to drive the daily workout....where miles from any mode including GT League count. . .

With regards to mileage points it also makes sense to me they will be slightly higher than other modes as this is the mode where you can tune the car you want to drive for power and weight via the upgrade levels.....

I appreciate the update, however, I see few points they can improve GT League.

1. Prize cars are nice, let us have some?
2. Add more restrictions or speed up the AI, it's way too easy.
3. Add Rally League.

You know where to point these points :D

As someone who has played GT since first buying it on Japanese import, I am not fanatic, and so only looked at what GT Sport was a month or so before release. I'm sure many others didn't even do that. Even reading a bit about it I thought there would be more content. I think many more casual gamers than even I bought GT Sport expecting something similar to previous games, and when they didn't get something similar to what they were expecting, the backlash began. No you could say 'caveat emptor', buyer beware, but for what they delivered it wasn't worth the price they charged imho. Being a 'connected' game, PD now exactly how many have bought GT Sport, how many have raced online, and those that don't, and how many are no longer using the game. This rushed update to add some sort of offline mode tells me the disappointment and backlash has been significant.

I don't play online, so the offline mode, and other features is what GT is for me, and I suspect many other GT users over the years. Saying all that since release I have been enjoying the Livery Editor, and the Custom Races, though there are many tracks I don't like. There needed to be more cars and more tracks for the time they have taken to produce this game.

I was expecting more from this update. I've only done the first two levels, but have found that I can beat most races with a car a level or two below the stated level for the race, and I am no great racer. Hopefully later levels will be more of a challenge. Unless I have missed something, there is not the option to choose a different car from the start of the race menu, necessitating a trip back to your garage. :confused: I forgot how much I dislike the rolling starts. :banghead: The AI in the custom races seems to be better than the new league races so far. :boggled: It would have been nice to be able to do the individual races and a tournament as you could before, and maybe win a car for completing a league for the first time. Doesn't seem too much to ask when they are giving away a car for doing 26-27 miles per day. It seems to be counting the number of times you win a race for some reason, so maybe if you win a race a certain number of times you will get some kind of bonus. With such poor AI though repeating races doesn't look that attractive though.

It was great to use the RX7 for some of the league races, and gave some real nostalgia as some kind of RX7 was always my start car because of the price/performance. :)

The last week or so I have started to ease off the amount of time I'm playing it, this update will get me back for a bit, but I'm not sure how long unless they keep on with regular updates. It would be nice to add the seasonal races of GT6, as that was kept me playing it for so many years, and the races could be quite challenging depending on the entry requirements. While it is possible to make your own races, it is good to have some set rules that I wouldn't normally choose.

Well, I played GTS for less than a full day since it was released due to what seemed to be a truncated (though greatly enhanced in terms of graphics and perhaps immersion and finally in controllable oversteer dept) , I for one welcome the GT League and have spent a full day off work yesterday to run through several beginner and amateur events (because my other two events remain locked)

I must admit though, I appreciate what we gan get coming down the road for GTS, after all it's the sole reason I picked up the PS4.

I also really appreciate the Lewis H. Nurburgring video with Kaz, a great touch, I hope we can get TONS more applicable content such as this, via school/lessons of sorts added to this gem of a game.

Merry Christmas and best to you and yours everyone.

The amount of races is a bit disappointing. The lack of prize cars was really disappointing. I purchased a PS4 mainly because of this game. I should have got an Xbox. After winning all the races in beginner and not receiving any prize car I may give the game to my nephew.

Back