Share your GT Mode first impressions

Somebody asked is the AI challenging and I have mixed feelings. First off i only played the beginners league so maybe thats one reason the AI is a bit off but I could swear there is some rubber banding going on. Im in the lead by 4 seconds and all of a sudden in the last turn the AI is grinding with me (we have same car).

AI rubberbands pretty badly, at least I was seeing that in the Lake Ma-something Miata cup....how it can go 2 sec faster on the straight in beyond me, but at least it then screws up the next turn....

So, yeah, I just did the Roadster Cup race at Lago Maggiore in the Amateur League. No power increases, just stiffened suspension to cure the wallow. Off the start, the leader is 18 seconds ahead of me, so I set to work and start passing cars, taking the lead just before the end of Lap 1 - so I'm lapping 18 seconds per lap faster than the car now in P2. My second lap is a flyer and I knock a full 10 seconds off my previous lap time, presumably now I'd be 28 seconds ahead of P2? No, he's 2.5 seconds behind me. I managed to pull away to a 4 second lead, but despite a flawless run through the S-bends, I'm heading downhill to the hairpin and he's right behind me, and gaining fast! I get around the hairpin, pull over and let him through, then at the top of the hill, I PIT maneuver him into the barriers so he's stationary and facing the wrong way. I continue on my lap and the following lap, pull off another flyer, taking a further second off my PB, and again, he's 2 seconds behind me! None of the other cars, either, just the one!

I understand that PD think it's good to keep the pressure on so you have to drive clean or risk losing your lead, but the implementation is nonsense. You can close down a 20 second lead, put in a couple of awesome laps and then if you run a bit wide on your final lap, he'll be there to snatch the win, or at the very least to pile into the back of you so you both end up in the scenery. The TT race on the Nordschleife was exactly the same and speedy Mr P2 took me out just after Karussell. Managed to chase him down and pass him at the final corners.

Is it me, or is the AI much better in custom races vs league races?

Seems to be more consistent, at least. The League AI seems to start inept and miraculously learn how to drive the moment you pass them.

This has been discussed many, many times.

The vast majority of GT buyers are not following every development of the title in detail. They are casual buyers who purchase it based on what it was before, more stats and sources than I care to mention have shown this.

As for wanting the career mode to be the same as before, your massively wide of the mark on that. Most people here has been calling for PD to overhaul it since GT3, just because many want a substantial single player doesn't mean they want the same thing rehashed over and over again.

Nor is AI boring, repetitive and stale in other titles, however that's not really a discussion for this thread.
But but Forza does the same thing copied GT mode and no one complains maybe you people who are disappointed should find another game to play.

Not sure if mentioned already but AI in endurance races seem to be a mixed difficulty because I overtook 5 guys in the first lap but still had the same gap between me and 1st.

Another thing is, AI chooses different tyre compounds and even different initial fuel. Sadly, we cannot.

What I like the most about it is it's encouraging me to use cars in my garage that I never would have driven otherwise.

The complaint that it's too easy is fair, but you can make the races more challenging depending on what car you select, and get bonuses for it as well. I made the Alsace Village race in the Sunday Cup pretty interesting.

What I like the most about it is it's encouraging me to use cars in my garage that I never would have driven otherwise.

The complaint that it's too easy is fair, but you can make the races more challenging depending on what car you select, and get bonuses for it as well. I made the Alsace Village race in the Sunday Cup pretty interesting.
Agree - I've spend the last couple of days using my daily prize cars which had previously sat unused in my garage. It's also encouraged me to add liveries to them, to try and make them look better, which I wouldn't have otherwise done. Agree with selecting a lower class car - dropping a couple of groups makes it more challenging and gives you a +40% bonus.

20171223180657.jpg
20171223180633.jpg

ps. I still hate Willow Springs.

Very small to be honest but what ever its here so yay! What i don't understand is why pepole whined so much about when you have Custom race that Baceclly allows you to make your own Career.

So, yeah, I just did the Roadster Cup race at Lago Maggiore in the Amateur League. No power increases, just stiffened suspension to cure the wallow. Off the start, the leader is 18 seconds ahead of me, so I set to work and start passing cars, taking the lead just before the end of Lap 1 - so I'm lapping 18 seconds per lap faster than the car now in P2. My second lap is a flyer and I knock a full 10 seconds off my previous lap time, presumably now I'd be 28 seconds ahead of P2? No, he's 2.5 seconds behind me. I managed to pull away to a 4 second lead, but despite a flawless run through the S-bends, I'm heading downhill to the hairpin and he's right behind me, and gaining fast! I get around the hairpin, pull over and let him through, then at the top of the hill, I PIT maneuver him into the barriers so he's stationary and facing the wrong way. I continue on my lap and the following lap, pull off another flyer, taking a further second off my PB, and again, he's 2 seconds behind me! None of the other cars, either, just the one!

I understand that PD think it's good to keep the pressure on so you have to drive clean or risk losing your lead, but the implementation is nonsense. You can close down a 20 second lead, put in a couple of awesome laps and then if you run a bit wide on your final lap, he'll be there to snatch the win, or at the very least to pile into the back of you so you both end up in the scenery. The TT race on the Nordschleife was exactly the same and speedy Mr P2 took me out just after Karussell. Managed to chase him down and pass him at the final corners.

Seems to be more consistent, at least. The League AI seems to start inept and miraculously learn how to drive the moment you pass them.
It sounds like, just like in previous games, the AI is capable of fast consistent laps but the inclusion of rubber banding combined with short sprints puts a big damper on the whole racing aspect of GT League. Rubber band name should be an option with different levels available. It would revolutionize offline gameplay.

But but Forza does the same thing copied GT mode and no one complains maybe you people who are disappointed should find another game to play.
Stop saying bad things about my game!:lol:

I enjoy the GT mode.
Doing the N400 races in a N200 Mito is a lot of fun.

But there is a long way to go.
No endurance race at the Nordschleiffe is a shame, even if we don't have the VLN layout the 4 hour race was my favorite thing to do in GT5.
And as said by several before me, the AI is...euhm... interesting. Divebombing into corners or braking mid corner.

I'm staying positive and hope for a future update and maybe some races to be added.

Who says I'm referring to Forza and I currently play all the racing titles available on the PS4, and I fully intend to continue discussing the pros and cons of all of them, GTS included.

I would have preferred that GT Mode be more like Sport with more challenging races and faster bots. But... this is classic GT Mode, with slow spread out cars and rabbits to chase. If the menu music didn't wave a huge "Nostalgiaville" flag in front of your face, some people just didn't get the memo.

Maybe if we ask nicely, we could get a Sport Level upgrade for these events. But what I really want to see is for PD to keep adding to these events like always, but make them like Gran Turismo used to be, and give us prize cars along with the credits. But wait, there's more.

Rather than beef up GT Mode, produce an Event Maker. This will allow us as in Arcade Mode to build events from scratch. Single events, series, championships, up to an entire season of racing. Name them, save them and share them. Enable them for use online with appropriate tools for that. This would be a godsend for online clubs and leagues as well as us offliners.

Also, give us another Course Maker. I've enjoyed almost all the tracks the GT community has shared with us, and with the extra capacity of the PS4, it should be a doozy.

where to start?
ok.
yesterday was a heck of a work day and I just wanted to play around without the stress of the online racing.
offline content.
Bonus.
have always loved the RX7 and with a custom transmission it is a delight.
Bonus.
AI is still... well... terrible... in that they brake at the apex(WTH), seem revengeful, and rubber band... sigh.
Tracks... desperately in need of tracks.

So...
First impression, good and thanks.
Looking harder... please... more tracks, I can overlook the AI for the most part, but please, more tracks.
I never realized just how bad the AI is until I started racing online, and got to Sr.S. Goodness racing real thinking units is nice... you can actually predict what is going to happen... the AI, well, I guess it's like they are AI... hmmmm... internal enlightenment...
Carry on.

Well it was fun until the server went down. It's more a game off how low can you go and still easily win. 110% bonus at the end of the race at least makes it worth it a little bit. I only did the beginner and some amateur for now. AI so far can't drive and is heavily rubber banded, with first place always way out ahead. They don't start driving until you pass them, then stay away from them in the corners. 1050 xp per race at least makes a bit of a dent at lvl 38, instead of the 88 xp for a daily A race lol. I want that blue badge :)

I'm slowly dipping in and out of GT League. It's quite nice to have some of the older stuff back, even if it does have some nasty rubberbanding. I also quite like the AI overdriving and going off (makes a change from it just being me).

Though some of the limiting on car selection is a bit strange. I was looking forward to using the S-FR Racing Concept (detuned) for a laugh in the Sunday Cup, but aren't allowed... but can use a detuned Cobra!

Also if you use a car in the specified category it's pretty much a shoe-in that you'll win as the AI isn't too zippy. Though this does give you the chance to try and win with lesser cars. My current fave is winning the N1000 round Blue Moon Speedway in a tweaked N400 Countach, you get well over 100% handicap bonus.

All I will say at this point is that those who were claiming that this addition was always on PDs roadmap and had been long planned were wide of the mark to say the least.

This is simply a cut and paste of old GT mode material with the current content added in, nothing suggesting this was anything other than a knee jerk reaction to the complaints about a lack of single player content.

Now for those asking what should it have had, that's seriously not a difficult one to answer, hell past GT modes have had some of it.

• Race weekend structure with practice and qualification
  • The ability to vary race length
  • AI that provides a challenge rather than rubber banding
  • Variable level AI
  • Multi race championship events
  • Multi class events (after all the structure for this is already in place)
As for the claims that other titles would have charged for this! Seriously are people at the point of defending PD to not even realise that other titles don't need to charge for this because they had it in place from the start! That is quite frankly the most absurd attempt at deflection I've seen in a long while, hell even AC (which was rightly criticised for its limited single player) offered far more than this out of the box.

An argument exists that we did play for this, as GTS was a prologue priced as a full price release (at least AC had the good sense to not go out as a full priced title).

The new car content is great and very, very welcome; but the single player is a poor version of the same formula that has been rushed out to try and solve an issue of PDs own making.
This isn't exactly Project Cars 2 mate. It's Gran Turismo, and they've never had a structure like Project Cars where you can change the race length, AI difficulty and add in Practice and Qualifying. I know there was qualifying in GT3, but that's not my point. I don't care about all those features, all I want to do is race, and that's how every GT has been. I can live with the lack of race features because it doesn't really matter in reality. Although having multi-race championships would be good idea...

Boring and far too long. The midship races made me lose my sanity for a brief period of time. 8 laps around Alsace in a veneno does that to a man! I had to make it interesting somehow! Why not pick the car that doesn’t turn?

Only enjoyment I had out of the gt league so far was the 1hr Nürburgring endurance. Very well balanced and had to use pit stops to win

This isn't exactly Project Cars 2 mate. It's Gran Turismo, and they've never had a structure like Project Cars where you can change the race length, AI difficulty and add in Practice and Qualifying. I know there was qualifying in GT3, but that's not my point. I don't care about all those features, all I want to do is race, and that's how every GT has been. I can live with the lack of race features because it doesn't really matter in reality. Although having multi-race championships would be good idea...
The original GT had championship events, with practice and qualification. GT3 had qualification. Almost every GT has had championship events.

GT has had these things before, so no this doesn't go against type. Particularly as every time they removed them people have complained or asked for them back.

However that's not the point, the point was raised that why would people want a GT mode and then complain it was the same as the old one. The point is that not everyone wanted what we ended up with and many would like an evolution of it, with features that have been present before brought back.

The point is that not everyone wanted what we ended up with and many would like an evolution of it, with features that have been present before brought back.
But there's also a percentage that did.

Would that be the same percentage that said we didn't need a single player and Sport mode was all we needed?

As is sure seems as if any comments about what people would like to see in GT is treated as heresy, and we should be glad only for what PD has given us.
I don't think I understand what you mean

What is there to review or complain about? It's exactly like previous GT Modes, though it is lacking a lot more races (probably because we don't have many tracks yet). Otherwise, i don't see how it has changed from previous games, which is what people wanted. I mean, even down to the fonts for the cup titles it seems very similar. You're still going to start at the back, easily beat super slow, bumbling AI, and earn some trophies for it.

Kind of, remove single player and hours of AI coding for it only to get complained about, use the time for more real tracks and force people to online.
PLEASE force me online right now if thats OK?!

Exact same thing happened to me too. So bad I saved the replay as proof. Didn't happen in all the races though just that one. Passed all cars by end of first lap gained 15 seconds on leader who then sat on my rear while we pulled almost a lap ahead of all the rest. That's not racing at all its TOWING.

I started the GT League yesterday and did the firsts races with the X-BOW. It was too easy, and I had a +20% challenge Credits...

I can't say if it becomes more and more difficult, and races more restricted (- HP maybe), but that's a good beginning.

As said before, it will make me use old cars I've never used.

Is it blue for 40? Or is that the big prize for 50? I'm currently 36, but everyone on my psn is below me!

It's blue for 40. I have no idea what 50 looks like or how many km it takes to get there.

GT League is kind of disappointing, Where is the rally. Why is Nordschleife only used once for 1 lap. No Nurb 24h at all. No Mount Panorama either. It's only fun to see how low you can go, although driving that slow makes me sleepy. Plus PD put a nice trap on Alsace. N500 race, easily done with N200, except in the last lap a Porsche appears from behind that's unstoppable. I blocked him for most of the last lap, yet he forced himself past in the final chicane. So I did it again with N300, get first after the first lap, bored for the rest of the race, then the Porsche still appeared from the back of the field and was closing fast on me, down to 5 sec at the finish. 2 more corners and he would have had me again.

The AI is mental. As soon as you pass 2nd place, he's suddenly clinging to your bumper and will force an overtake on you and first place. Pass first place as well and he joins in to the race. Most races end in frantically blocking cars that suddenly discovered how to change gears.

And beware of that one Nordschleife race. The AI crashes after the flugplatz corners and backs out into the track or does a forward turn on the track causing a huge accident. It happened 3 times in a row as I was trying to get a clean race with an under powered car. The 3rd time I managed to dodge the accident, got first a couple corners before the final straight, then had to block as a 2.8 second gap melted away like nothing on the straight. At least blocking is still regarded as clean by the game despite the big speed difference.

Well, the servers are down. What GT League???

The fact that GT League is part of “always online”, is several checks against it.

Would that be the same percentage that said we didn't need a single player and Sport mode was all we needed?

As is sure seems as if any comments about what people would like to see in GT is treated as heresy, and we should be glad only for what PD has given us.

I would say you could blame the consumer for not understanding the product they bought. I didn't watch much of the build up to GTSs release but in the small amount I did see, I instantly knew this was a stripped down online racer. If anybody couldn't grasp that then more fool them.

I want PD to invest time in the online side of things (adjusting BoP, penalties) for the game I knowingly bought and not trying to rehash single player. They can do that for GT7. This is sport.

Sport is all I need. In fact online was all I needed since GT5. Single player was a grind for cars. Nothing more.

GTS does online far better than both GT5 and 6 imo.

I would say you could blame the consumer for not understanding the product they bought. I didn't watch much of the build up to GTSs release but in the small amount I did see, I instantly knew this was a stripped down online racer. If anybody couldn't grasp that then more fool them.

I want PD to invest time in the online side of things (adjusting BoP, penalties) for the game I knowingly bought and not trying to rehash single player. They can do that for GT7. This is sport.

Sport is all I need. In fact online was all I needed since GT5. Single player was a grind for cars. Nothing more.

GTS does online far better than both GT5 and 6 imo.
Ah blame the consumer for a companies inability to communicate, that's they key to consumer satisfaction.

You seem to forget that they also said that GTS would have everything that past GT titles had and more, that online was only 15%, and that GTS may as well be called GT7.

The issue with this misscommunication is PDs not the consumers.

I thought I’d like it. I was really thinking it would be like the olden days. The problem is, after winning several races with a gap of over 30 seconds without really pushing, I decided to go back to online racing and trying to get as close as possible to the leaderboard.

If I continue doing GT League, I guarantee I’ll be a much worse race driver. I think this is a new era for me. I’ll try to get over the nostalgia and move forward.

Back