Shell out $500 to play GT7?

• Thread starter Zerran
  • 179 comments
It's a game.

They're all games.

Getting into PC simracing can be super cheap as well, like I'm on a $400 PC and an ancient Logitech G25.
If it’s just a game why do people spend hundreds and thousands to play. Look at YouTube about Sim racing maybe that will get you out of your PJs

If it’s just a game why do people spend hundreds and thousands to play. Look at YouTube about Sim racing maybe that will get you out of your PJs
They're all games, just with a different focus. ACC, AC, AMS2, iRacing, and so on. All games. Sure, people spend thousands on hardware, but that doesn't mean it's not a game. A game you could play with a controller if you like. But PC hardware is expensive - I've been building computers since the 90's and when I started out, you could build the literal best system money could buy for less than the cost of a single top end graphics card now. The games industry is booming, after the doldrums of the late 00's, and people are happy to part with lots of money, so there are hardware companies more than happy to provide for people with lots of disposable income.

You don't need to spend thousands on a DD wheel and Heusinkveld pedals to play iRacing, or even to be competitive. High end hardware isn't about making you quicker, it's about giving a more immersive, realistic experience. It's also, to an extent, 'big boys toys'. I can guarantee you that 90% of the Youtubers you see using top end DD wheels are only doing so because they've been given them for free; all will have started out using cheap kit, and would likely still be using cheap kit had popularity and sponsorship not allowed them to do otherwise.

in the end, people spend thousands on sim rigs for the same reason people spend thousands on a suit. Because you can afford it and it makes you feel special. But functionally, there's almost no real difference in utility.

The funny thing is if you go With a PC you might have to deal with a third party call Steam, now I will not say anything bad but why! Console you have Sony or Microsoft and the game or sim maker.

Oh noes! Not the ev1l ste4mzors! They're stealing my clock cycles!

Steam is a distributor, just like Sony, just like Microsoft. Arguably the fact that you're not also reliant on them for your hardware is a positive. You actually have a range of options for how much you want to spend and who you want to buy your hardware from, instead of getting to choose from PS5 and PS5 Digital at whatever price Sony wants to charge you.

But don't let objective reality get in the way of a good rant about how awful PC gaming is, right? It's not about having fun no matter what you use to do it, it's about having fun using the right hardware. Which is a console. Obviously. I don't know why PCs even exist. :rolleyes:

They're all games, just with a different focus. ACC, AC, AMS2, iRacing, and so on. All games. Sure, people spend thousands on hardware, but that doesn't mean it's not a game. A game you could play with a controller if you like. But PC hardware is expensive - I've been building computers since the 90's and when I started out, you could build the literal best system money could buy for less than the cost of a single top end graphics card now. The games industry is booming, after the doldrums of the late 00's, and people are happy to part with lots of money, so there are hardware companies more than happy to provide for people with lots of disposable income.

You don't need to spend thousands on a DD wheel and Heusinkveld pedals to play iRacing, or even to be competitive. High end hardware isn't about making you quicker, it's about giving a more immersive, realistic experience. It's also, to an extent, 'big boys toys'. I can guarantee you that 90% of the Youtubers you see using top end DD wheels are only doing so because they've been given them for free; all will have started out using cheap kit, and would likely still be using cheap kit had popularity and sponsorship not allowed them to do otherwise.

in the end, people spend thousands on sim rigs for the same reason people spend thousands on a suit. Because you can afford it and it makes you feel special. But functionally, there's almost no real difference in utility.

There is a phrase “One Man‘s Game is Another’s Man’s Simulator” call it what ever you want . The platform you use is a personal for everyone. I for one will look forward to update to The PS5 and GT7 For my sim racing. If you Only have a PC you will have to wait until Sony and PD will let you In.

Sounds like a steal compaired to the $2000 aud I spent on my gaming PC this month. That doesn't even include what I'll be paying for better monitors and the Sim rig I have plans for later this year.

Does anyone think it's a bit odd that you have to shell out $500 to play GT7? Not to mention, $60 for the game?
Do you think we should stay with the PS4 for even longer? It's been 7 years or so and it was a very underwhelming tech when it was released anyway.

They made the mistake of thinking the installed userbase for the PS3 was a good reason to release GT6 on PS3 instead of PS4. Should they do that again? You want them to rush like that or take their time and do it right? If the latter then PS5 is inevitable.

All my Playstation Consoles have been purchased just to play the GT series. Apart those games, they gather dust.

I'll never wrap my head around this. How have you never been tempted to at least try some other car/racing games? You obviously enjoy them, why stay with just one game? Even if you've no interest in wider gaming at least try some stuff similar to what you enjoy!

All my Playstation Consoles have been purchased just to play the GT series. Apart those games, they gather dust.
I bought PS2, PS3, PS4 for GT4/5/6 and GTS. I have never played other games on these consoles which makes GT games quite expensive for me.
I will also probably buy PS5 for GT7.
Same here, except I started with GT3 on PS2 and skipped Sport and the PS4 altogether. The traditional GT series is all I need. As long as it improves with each iteration I'm happy and have no need to "explore" other brands.

Obviously I'll buy a PS5 specifically for GT7. So pumped, man. When you only play 1 game it makes it all-the-more exciting.

Same here, except I started with GT3 on PS2 and skipped Sport and the PS4 altogether. The traditional GT series is all I need. As long as it improves with each iteration I'm happy and have no need to "explore" other brands.

Obviously I'll buy a PS5 specifically for GT7. So pumped, man. When you only play 1 game it makes it all-the-more exciting.

Do you do that with other aspects of life? Do you not explore other restaurants after finding one good one? Only buy one type of pizza? One version/brand of your favourite drink?

I can't fathom enjoying driving/racing and then limiting yourself to only one flavour of it.

I knew that that was what you meant, mate, and I get ya.

Budget and time for driving are limited (I do the one-man-band thing, which is a rabbit hole of rabbit holes), and I find the number of tracks and cars on offer in GT more-than-sufficient, so as I implied, from this position any improvements are a bonus for me, and thankfully Polyphony Digital has delivered every time.

The GT5 -> GT6 transition was the least-satisfying for me as it didn't deliver much overall, but every other one has, and from what I'm hearing and seeing GT7 will deliver big-time, so as I said earlier, I'm pumped!

I'll never wrap my head around this. How have you never been tempted to at least try some other car/racing games? You obviously enjoy them, why stay with just one game? Even if you've no interest in wider gaming at least try some stuff similar to what you enjoy!

There is no story in Sim racing it’s just competition. Find the one that meets that need And the quality of simulator driving why look at others . I started out with DriveClub with my PS4 that set the hook . Updated my PC for IRacing and PCars , I stop racing because it was more time wasted preparing to race then driving . Then PS4pro came out with GTS , let’s say I found the Holly Grail and looking forward to PS5 and GT7 no need to look at anything else for now.

Maybe he only likes Gran Turismo? I am somewhat similar in that regard

I play all other racing games on the Xbox :)

Now I do not want to hurt feeling but if you haven’t raced in real life “ you are stuck on stupid “ when it comes to Online Racing . The more you make it feel like It’s a real race day you will keep the real drivers and wannabes will want to compete . Let the other games be fairytales.

I think it's a bit odd that some folks shell out £3000++ to play motor racing games on a temperamental PC.

if GT7 on PS5 is as good as the hype so far (as if it ever has been in the past, but you can only hope), then $500 plus the PSVR 2.0 kit, plus the game disk (but hopefully not a new wheel and pedals, because that might be a con trick too far for me) will be OK with me.

I managed to convince a salesperson to issue me with one of these highly valuable and much sought after software packages in exchange for my fax machine.

View attachment 933442

This sales person knows the meaning of keeping customers happy.

What's the deal, were they out of Prodigy packages???

Does anyone think it's a bit odd that you have to shell out $500 to play GT7? Not to mention, $60 for the game?

I am with you, brother, I mean I have already purchased and still own PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 Pro, and 3 different XBox consoles just to play a couple of racing games, where does it all end??? You would think that GT7 would work on a least one of these consoles, wouldnt you??

Last edited:
Back