Shell out $500 to play GT7?

• Thread starter Zerran
  • 179 comments
I think it's a bit odd that some folks shell out £3000++ to play motor racing games on a temperamental PC.

If you're paying 3000 pounds for a temperamental PC, you got ripped off. 3000 pounds is enough to buy you a very well behaved PC that will also do your laundry and make you a sandwich.

One can buy a perfectly capable gaming PC for the price of a console. Games aren't going to be quite as pretty as console exclusives (although Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 60fps on High seems fine), but it's also going to do a lot of things that a console can't. There are positive reasons for buying either (or both), and writing off either PC or console just shows that you're maybe a little too emotionally attached to trying to justify your $500 purchase as the bestest and brightest thing ever.

No, I am not paying any price for GT7. I paid over $400 just to play GT Sport and I am properly livid about the PS4 only getting this one GT title. Every previous PlayStation has received 2 (or more) Gran Turismo games/prologues. Polyphony Digital can kiss my rich rear end because I'm a smart shopper who is taking his money elsewhere. And after the way GT Sport played out, there will be no love lost whatsoever.

A PC and The PS4 or any delivery system has a built in life span. The trick is letting them go at the right time to minimize the cost for the next life span. The cost is just a number you if you wanna play you need to Pay.

If it ends up looking like the Trailer I won't be paying £500+ to play a game which looks 90% like GT Sport.

The Ray-tracing isn't even noticeable until you look deeply to see some hidden reflections. Not a single new shader.

I shelled out 450(?) bucks just for Uncharted 4 when it came out in 2016 :lol: That game is the sole reason I bought a PS4 in the first place. Obviously I ended up buying many more games after that but I never really felt the need to own a PS4 before UC4 ;)

Never made much sense to me to buy a system for one game. There are games that push you over the edge. But once you have the console. It’s a bit strange not to play plenty of others too.

Especially when it comes to the PS4. Which will go down in the top three all time best machines.

I just shelled out 700 sods for a new tv,with the PS5 in mind,some might say I'm commited,while others would say I probly should be. :lol:

If it ends up looking like the Trailer I won't be paying £500+ to play a game which looks 90% like GT Sport.

The Ray-tracing isn't even noticeable until you look deeply to see some hidden reflections. Not a single new shader.
That's how to do it though. An additional tool for the light engine. It was the same with HDR. You'd only notice what was missing if you switched it off. That is using it properly. As for shaders, we don't know how the trailer come about. Is it a snapshot of work in progress or was it just put together to get something Gran Turismo related in the presentation.

All my Playstation Consoles have been purchased just to play the GT series. Apart those games, they gather dust.

Exactly the same situation for me.

PSone purchased because of GT2
PS2 purchased because of GT4
PS3 purchased for GT5P, GT5 and GT6
PS4 purchased for GT7 that never came, so I settled for GTS.

I have come to an age where I just don't see the value and benefits of getting a PS5 GT7 combo for over $500 just so i can play about a couple of hours per week at best.

For my purpose and only in my situation, I really wish I could still utilize the PS4 for another GT iteration.

I really don't feel I got my money's worth with the PS4, in my personal situation (I am not talking for anyone else).

You are missing out on so many other good titles.

Yes I know, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to video games the way I was able to when I used to have the NES, the OG Game Boy or when I had the SNES...

I'll never wrap my head around this. How have you never been tempted to at least try some other car/racing games? You obviously enjoy them, why stay with just one game? Even if you've no interest in wider gaming at least try some stuff similar to what you enjoy!

I still love video games, but with more things to do during adult life, I really have to pick my battle and if there can only be one video games (no matter the platform), I will always choose GT on PS over anything else...
It's just the safest bet for me.

Same here, except I started with GT3 on PS2 and skipped Sport and the PS4 altogether. The traditional GT series is all I need. As long as it improves with each iteration I'm happy and have no need to "explore" other brands.

Obviously I'll buy a PS5 specifically for GT7. So pumped, man. When you only play 1 game it makes it all-the-more exciting.

PSone purchased because of GT2
PS2 purchased because of GT4
PS3 purchased for GT5P, GT5 and GT6
PS4 purchased for GT7 that never came, so I settled for GTS.

I really wish I could justify spending over $500 to the wife for a day one PS5/GT7 combo when i am not even done with all my honey-do-list items, and if we also have to spend more to upgrade the wheels, at which point it will be a forever goodbye, not a good-buy...

The only ways I can justify the purchase are:
1) I am rich
2) I have been a good boy and am completely done with the 2-year long honey-do-list
None of these scenario is going to happen.

So most likely this time Round, I will have to wait until the PS5 is significantly lower in price and GT7 is $20.

Edit: I guess I can sell my PS4 Pro to get the PS5...
But I like my PS4

Do you do that with other aspects of life? Do you not explore other restaurants after finding one good one? Only buy one type of pizza? One version/brand of your favourite drink?

I can't fathom enjoying driving/racing and then limiting yourself to only one flavour of it.

In my case, of course not.
But as I have explained above already.
Time is the issue, or at least the lack of is...

Of course I have bought many other games for each of my PlayStation, but I noticed that I have barely touch any other, when I get some rare playtime, GT is always the first chosen... I bought close to ten games on the PS4, including F1 2019, Project Cars 2 and any other types of games, but I pretty much play with GTS for 85% of the time, and 14% with Project CARS 2; the last 1% for all other games.

I knew that that was what you meant, mate, and I get ya.

Budget and time for driving are limited (I do the one-man-band thing, which is a rabbit hole of rabbit holes), and I find the number of tracks and cars on offer in GT more-than-sufficient, so as I implied, from this position any improvements are a bonus for me, and thankfully Polyphony Digital has delivered every time.

The GT5 -> GT6 transition was the least-satisfying for me as it didn't deliver much overall, but every other one has, and from what I'm hearing and seeing GT7 will deliver big-time, so as I said earlier, I'm pumped!

Exactly.

There is no story in Sim racing it’s just competition. Find the one that meets that need And the quality of simulator driving why look at others . I started out with DriveClub with my PS4 that set the hook . Updated my PC for IRacing and PCars , I stop racing because it was more time wasted preparing to race then driving . Then PS4pro came out with GTS , let’s say I found the Holly Grail and looking forward to PS5 and GT7 no need to look at anything else for now.

Yup, same here.
But I really wish I could commit to getting the PS5 just for one game.

Nothing else interests me. I use consoles for fun racing games and have a PC for the more "serious" stuff.

Maybe he only likes Gran Turismo? I am somewhat similar in that regard

Yes I am.

How would he know if he hasn't played anything else?

Because I am satisfied enough with the GT vibe and atmosphere...

Never made much sense to me to buy a system for one game. There are games that push you over the edge. But once you have the console. It’s a bit strange not to play plenty of others too.

Especially when it comes to the PS4. Which will go down in the top three all time best machines.

No time for anything else man... It's just like that...

Last edited:
On the average week I spend 12 hours on Sim racing thanks to PS4 going back to 2014 , I think I Spent $500 back then Getting a toy for my Grand kids To play when visiting . To date I have invested about $4000 just to drive online . I use The word “drive “instead of “play” Because my first experience felt like a real driving simulator in my den. Over the past Six years every dollar spent on my online racing keeps me coming back for more. My math might be a little fuzzy but It’s looks Like less than a dollar Per hour For me to have fun.

Btw @Zerran not only $500, you also have to buy the game for probably $69 which is the new pricing for next gen games :)

Boy I can’t wait for PS5 :D

All we need from gt7 is gts+ VR multiplayer.
Oh and give those who aren’t good enough to fully enjoy multiplayer some offline career mode.

*All you need.

And stop trying to make people feel bad for enjoying offline career. I’m looking forward to it and I’m not exactly slow ;)

It isn’t all about the graphics. The graphics in GT Sport were already really nice. GT7 is about the content that GT Sport is lacking. I will buy GT7 mostly for the content of the game and not so much because of its graphics.

Does that mean that if you practice hard enough, you will teach all the players behind you to brake before arriving at turn 1?

Anyone using the rear bumper of the car in front of him As a brake and gains a position needs penalty’s, First time “time “, second time “Time and rolled black flag “ And third time “black flag “ and sent to the pits. That is how you teach.

Anyone using the rear bumper of the car in front of him As a brake and gains a position needs penalty’s, First time “time “, second time “Time and rolled black flag “ And third time “black flag “ and sent to the pits. That is how you teach.

And how are you implementing that when you play video games?

And how are you implementing that when you play video games?

A video game to you, to me it’s a driving simulator. GTS has a penalty system and flag a flag system why are you looking to me . PD has to figure out how to maximize it’s profits Catering to a video gamer or to a Online Race Car Driver.

A video game to you, to me it’s a driving simulator. GTS has a penalty system and flag a flag system why are you looking to me . PD has to figure out how to maximize it’s profits Catering to a video gamer or to a Online Race Car Driver.

The fact that you don’t consider the game to be a game doesn’t make your proposal easier to solve. Unless you want to hire thousands of race marshals you need to come up with a way to make an algorithm accurately judge these kind of situations. If you find it annoying to be penalised when it wasn’t your fault, how annoying wouldn’t it be to be black-flagged when it wasn’t your fault?

And in case, it hasn’t been solved, which means that whether someone enjoys multiplayer racing is not just linked to skill level.

The fact that you don’t consider the game to be a game doesn’t make your proposal easier to solve. Unless you want to hire thousands of race marshals you need to come up with a way to make an algorithm accurately judge these kind of situations. If you find it annoying to be penalised when it wasn’t your fault, how annoying wouldn’t it be to be black-flagged when it wasn’t your fault?

And in case, it hasn’t been solved, which means that whether someone enjoys multiplayer racing is not just linked to skill level.

Fault is a powerful word in driving in real life if You hit someone from behind You are at fault and will pay for your mistakes. If you read the app on GTS you see The phrase “ The Real Driving Simulator “ what do you think that means ? There must be a different degree of fault for gamers then online racing driver’s. On a real race day in the real world the people Who run the show are the ones who make the rules not the ones who come to drive. The one who is passing the car in front of him Before the turn it is his responsibility not to make first contact so maybe PD can make that the first rule.

Last edited:
Fault is a powerful word in driving in real life if You hit someone from behind You are at fault and will pay for your mistakes.

Don’t confuse driving with racing. In driving you should keep a safe distance to the car in front of you. In racing there is no such thing.

If you read the app on GTS you see The phrase “ The Real Driving Simulator “ what do you think that means ?

It’s the tag line for Gran Turismo, it basically means that the game features real cars.

There must be a different degree of fault for gamers then online racing driver’s.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Is there a difference between gamers and online racing drivers in terms of what actions constitutes a fault?

On a real race day in the real world the people Who run the show are the ones who make the rules not the ones who come to drive.

Indeed.

The one who is passing the car in front of him Before the turn it is his responsibility not to make first contact so maybe PD can make that the first rule.

The problem is not a lack of rules, the problem is that it’s incredibly hard for an algorithm to accurately judge an incident and decide who is at fault.

If you are proposing to solve this by adding a rule that the attacking driver will always be at fault for any type of contact then you give the defending driver carte blanche to brake check their opponent, run them off the course or deliberately seeking contact in order to give them a penalty.

Today, I play much less than past years. But I still need Gran Turismo for a lot of reasons that some have already mentioned here. Other games, I can easily do without it - except FromSoftware :D

So yes, I'm ready to pay a console just for Gran Turismo. I will not buy PS5 without GT7.

I already have a steering wheel. I'm going to buy a Playseat because I was able to save space in my room :cool:

Back