Shift 2: G27 Wheel Settings. ***PATCH v1.02*** Updated.

• Thread starter AWDwhite_2g
  • 260 comments
Some things I just don't get. Help me out!

1. There is a "dead-zone" on my G25 at idle. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is intentional to prevent the FFB motors "fighting" each other. However, the same zone seems to exist in game. Why? The lack of resistance in the middle of the wheel could well be contributing to.............

2. Weaving. I have tried many variations of the controller settings, most with the same (non) result. Also worked on some set-ups which also did not fix the issue. Seems to be particularly bad with the 911 GT3 RS. What is causing this weaving effect? Does anyone have a definative answer/cure?

I am using OP's settings with 720 lock (PS3).

Add double the Caster to the default value in each cars tuning menu. That will give the wheel a heavier feel at its center and the tires will tend to keep strait the more your speed increases.

Also add a few degrees of toe-in to the front and rear wheels to add some strait line stability.

IF the G25 has that deadzone maybe you should have the steering deadzone to 1% or maybe even 2% (if you haven't done that already)

Add double the Caster to the default value in each cars tuning menu. That will give the wheel a heavier feel at its center and the tires will tend to keep strait the more your speed increases.

Also add a few degrees of toe-in to the front and rear wheels to add some strait line stability.

correct
IF the G25 has that deadzone maybe you should have the steering deadzone to 1% or maybe even 2% (if you haven't done that already)

correct before the patch

Ok, had a few more runs in Tuning with the suggested settings (911 GT3 RS - Nordschliefe).

Default Caster was 0, so I incrementally increased along with toe, camber, lock, tyre pressure, ride height and aero adjustments. As each increment had little effect, I continually increased the Caster, until eventually it was maxed. Unfortunately, the weaving is still there.

I am starting to think now that FFB is actually the problem here. The slack feeling at the centre of the wheel rotation makes it easy to over-shoot the mid position. Same is true when making a correction. As the wheel turns left and right across the extent of the loose mid position, these are actually steering inputs and you end up in a constant left/right 10-20deg swing.

Thinking back, Superstars V8 had this same problem (as did the demo of WRC). As there is no resistance dead centre of the wheel, you almost had to create your own by stiffening your arms slightly.

Starting to get the feeling again that this issue can not be fixed...........

Starting to get the feeling again that this issue can not be fixed...........

I am using different settings from the OP, and I have no noticeable weaving while still remaining responsive.

The settings I use are these:
All deadzones: 0%, steering sensitivity: 60%, speed sensitivity: 100%, steering angle: 360 degrees.

The trick here is the balance between sensitivity, speed sensitivity and steering angle. Setting speed sensitivity at 100% will limit responsiveness as speed increases (the faster, the less response), so to compensate that, you need increased sensitivity and limited steering angle. This creates a very responsive setup. May work with larger angle and larger steering sensitivity as well, though I haven't tried that yet.

I have used the GT3RS/Nurb GP Sprint event to test these. Settings also work very nicely with high PI cars (1500+). 👍

Last edited:
The settings I use are these:
All deadzones: 0%, steering sensitivity: 60%, speed sensitivity: 100%, steering angle: 360 degrees.

Tried these, but had issues with the steering lock. As I already have a higher lock setting in Tuning, the 360 rotation made the car overly twitchy.

I have settled on speed sensitivity at 50%: though this is an improvement, the base issue is not fixed for me (i.e. excessive weaving/sway with too little FFB).

In that case you could also try my settings, but with higher degrees of steering angle, like 450 or 540. Or lower the steering lock in tuning. All depends on preference though, I tried many different settings from different people, and those are the ones that felt best for me. Others swear by speed sensitivity 0 though. :)

Yes, having tried a high number of combinations, I also chose 0% speed sensitivity initially. There is an improvement at 50% but 100% was too "sluggish", combined with the other settings. I am forever in and out of the Options menu making changes which to be honest is detracting from game.

There seems to be too many compromises with setting the wheels up. One parameter appears to compromise the affect of another.

I will probably give it more time later, but for now, I've had enough of adjusting settings that should be correct from default just to get decent base handling.

Thanks for your suggestions anyhow, I appreciate your time.

These are my wheel settings. I've used a G25 and a Lotus Elise at Brans Hatch GP circuit to dial these in.

5793223048_e1ff467348.jpg

5793223430_9d4a8cb007.jpg

I hope these help people. To me it feels as close as I can get to GT5 with this game so far.

He Sprite,

Yesterday i tried your settings,because with some cars my settings don't work the way they should.
Settings seemed a little odd when i first read them, but guess what,
they work wonderfull.
I am four seconds faster with the Zonda R on the Nordschleife now...

Greetz, Massy72

Sprites settings work great, but only on tracks where you have to steer just a little,
in slow,sharp turns they don't work so great.

I now use the settings of this first page en use the tunings from Terronium here on the forum en they work well for me...

Greetz Massy72

^ Perhaps try 50% steering sensitivity and more steering lock, if you want something that resembles realistic/normal steering. All these 'crazy' settings around the net just gives 'crazy' steering (well, in a simulation and realism sense anyway...)

DJ
--

Hello everyone,
I've bought recently a PS3 with Shift2 and a G27.
I have some questions, what is the patch v1.02, do I have to download it and install it somewhere?

FLV
Hello everyone,
I have some questions, what is the patch v1.02, do I have to download it and install it somewhere?

First of all, dont bring back old thread. Secondly, you only need an internet connection to update it.

FLV
Hello everyone,

If you are online with a console it will get patched automatically when you run the game. If you have no internet connection to your PS3 you will probably have to download it to a memory stick and copy it over. I'm not sure where you would download from. The obvious place to start looking would be Slightly Mad's web site.

So do these settings eliminate that nasty sliding i encountered in my first experience? i have returned the game, but i am willing to give it another go, if these settings actually eliminate that "Go-into-drift-mode-around-every-corner" problem. If so, since the game has some competitive AI, and nice customization, i might give it another go.

Game can be partially installed when you start every game for the first time from game disc. It will then ask if you want to install some of the game content on your HDD so the game could load faster. But you always have to use Game Disc to play.

Game can be fully installed when you buy it on SEN network. It is available on North American, so you log on, buy, download and then game will fully install (5,9 GB) on your internal HDD

Am I just retarded? I'm seeing other people mentioning on here the use of a G27 with Shift 2, but I just bought it, and I see nothing in options to access controls other than a Dual Shock, and it doesn't appear to even recognize the thing plugged into it. My controller shows it is set as "controller 2" but it is the only thing I can use to play the game. my wheel does nothing, but if you try and turn it, it's very stiff and resists being turned from 0*. Something I'm missing here? Thanks to any helpful information!

Back