SHIFT 2: Unleashed - Official Car & Track Lists (FINAL+DLC)

• Thread starter paytonlow
  • 539 comments
I don't mind not having Ferrari's when there's Porsche's to drive. Just look at that concise car list. All cars that really matter. No redundancy... no regional inequality... no mediocre filler cars to bloat the list... Nice!

Some great tracks too. I would have liked to see Road Atlanta included but you can't have everything. I'm looking forward to this release.

Gameplay, and the real racing experience with all the right rules, as you described is what I call "big sim" "true sim" or what ever... I want a "true sim" AND the right cars on it. It's like if in the next NBA game developers would not add Lakers and Celtics... having a racing game without the Ferrari would be the same thing, no matter how good the game will be. If you don't add these names, you still got some room to improve.
If manifactures for you doesn't mean anything let's cut all those nice vintage BMW, let's remove all those silver arrows Mercedes, the Mclaren, the Lambos... Why developers can't just keep only 3 cars? Nissan Skyline, RX-7 and 350Z.. 3 cars for everybody. I don't think the game would be the same for all of you... come on, if you just want to drive a big sim with 10 cars there is a very good one called iRacing. Old formula indy, a Prototype, a Corvette, some weird buggies and that's all..

It sure seems strange that no-one can put the WHOLE package together... Not only good physics AND good adherence to real racing rules, but also a decent (but not excessive) selection of cars that are appropriate to drive AND a good, balanced set of tracks... AND, make it console and PC.

iRacing has a lot going for it, but its car selection could be a BIT better without resorting to mods, it's track selection is quite American in bias, but primarily, it's a PC only game with a subscription model. A) I'm on an older Mac, so can't join even if I wanted to, and B) I'm on a PS3, because I refuse to pay for online participation in a game I've ALREADY payed for.

But it seems, time after time, that console game makers get one or two things right, but never the whole package. Unleashed is showing signs, though. Track selection is evenly distributed around the world, car selection likewise, physics LOOKS like they are starting to take notice of what the driving enthusiasts want.... Now all we have to do is pray they don't screw online up to the extent they did with Shift 1. All we have ever asked for is an OPTION to mandate damage... Just like GT5. You can play that on totally unrealistic setting if you want (it even has Boost, for Pete's sake - how arcade!), but you CAN create a lobby that mandates all assists off and full damage./ That's all we want.

How hard can it BE to provide? :rolleyes:

If SMS leave it to the players to police their own Friends races, and provide no tools to mandate conditions for random races. I have a fairly variable schedule at work, so it's not easy for me to be available for races with Friends much of the time, and I imagine that MANY players are often in the same boat. Little of what I raced on Shift was with the same guys. So being able to create Lobbies with the level of realism I want to play at is paramount.

C'mon, SMS... PLEASE. Lobby creator gets to set rules. It is such a SMALL thing with such a big impact.

Trust me on this one. If the Ferrari's were in and the Porsche were out, the EXACT same posts would be posted. Everybody wants it ALL, and sadly, they simply CAN'T HAVE IT.

I believe that it isn't a question of money. It is to do with exclusive deals. Ferrari can't make a deal with PD, or whoever they have that prevents PS3 Ferrari's (remember, you got legal Ferrari's for XBox, and if they had had DLC for PC, I imagine you would have got it in that too), and then turn around and break it for more money. A deal is a deal.

Just be glad there aren't 50 Skylines in the game! :crazy:

Nah you just get 12 BMW's instead, yes 10% of the game's car are BMW, amazing LOL.

And yep, ferrari is PD exclusive baby !

I guess I'm kind of different in how I approach a racing game...

Personally, I couldn't care less if I was driving around in a totally fictional BOX, as long as it handled like a real car, drove like a real car, and suffered consequences from bad driving like a real car. But it seems that game makers have totally reversed those priorities. It's got to LOOK just like the real thing, but you can drive it into a wall at 150mph and drive away whistling happy tunes!

THAT'S not 'racing', as far as I am concerned. That's arcade, no matter HOW good the physics are.

It's like modeling the LOOK of a football stadium, making the players LOOK photo-realistic to the point that you thought they were live broadcasts... and then letting them break the rules of soccer to the point where it wasn't soccer in the slightest.

Who would want to play that game? But here in racer-land, apparently what the damn box LOOKS like seems far more important than what we are allowed to do with it. I just can't get behind that kind of thought. Maybe I'm too old, but driving a piece of software around that LOOKS like a Ferrari doesn't convince me in the slightest that I actually AM. But real racing rules and real racing consequences certainly goes a LONG way to keeping me immersed in the game, whereas the first time anyone drives away from a high speed shunt, once again I am FORCED to acknowledge it's just a game, and a bad one at that.

So when you crash in a game at 150mph and you press restart after you see your smash that WOULD HAVE killed you, what is realistic about that? Since you hate anything arcade.....The only thing that FORCES you to acknowledge it's a game ( calm down by the way sunshine ) is that you get to restart and race the race all over again.
You claim your getting too old ? too old for what, potty training ? You seem very chilidish in every section of this website

And yep, ferrari is PD exclusive baby
Not quite, I can choose a Ferrari in either Supercar Challenge or Ferrari the race experience and both games are doing a pretty damn fine job with It.

For what It's worth, I enjoy reading Destinkeys posts.

Back on topic; great track list, I am personally very happy with Spa (not so surprising) and Zolder.

I enjoy reading his posts but they are so full of cattle excrement I can barely bring myself to do it.

It's watching your OPPONENTS smash into a wall at 150mph, reset on the track in half a second, and continue on their way having shunted you into next week that ruins it for me. I'm actually TRYING to get round the corner clean. But with exploitable game mechanics, it is FAR easier and often faster to just use other cars as brakes and cornering aids. So.... photo-realistic cars and tracks, and arcade behavior. Mind, as we can see from above, there's PLENTY of people that like that approach. It's just a shame they don't stick to Mario Kart, though ;)

For a real racing experience I hear actual cars and track days provide for a pretty spot on experience. :lol:

Last edited:
I got plenty of Ferrari's in GT5 but none in Shift. I got plenty of Porsche's in Shift but none in GT5. Because of this, when I want to drive Ferrari's, I'll hop onto GT5 and when I want to drive a Porsche, I'll go play Shift. Problem solved(for me).
exactly what i do :)

It's watching your OPPONENTS smash into a wall at 150mph, reset on the track in half a second, and continue on their way having shunted you into next week that ruins it for me. I'm actually TRYING to get round the corner clean. But with exploitable game mechanics, it is FAR easier and often faster to just use other cars as brakes and cornering aids. So.... photo-realistic cars and tracks, and arcade behavior. Mind, as we can see from above, there's PLENTY of people that like that approach. It's just a shame they don't stick to Mario Kart, though ;)

I think your being ridiculous to be frank. Go and make your own game if you dont like any that exist.

I think you miss the point of games being fun.

Todays manufacturers are:

Acura
Dodge
Honda (Civic looks awesome)

Link

Still 2 left at the time of this post.

I think your being ridiculous to be frank. Go and make your own game if you dont like any that exist.

He probably hasn't got the money to fund his own game company.

Perhaps he doesn't find using cars for brakes as fun.

Just some thoughts.

And what is the point? is it ruining other peoples fun? thats whats fun?
To me FUN is to have more options so that the unskilled, the rammers and the just plain stupid dont ruin the fun for everybody else.

For people asking why Ferrari is not included, I did a little bit search:

1. EA not longer has licence for Ferrari since NFS: Underground.

2. NFS: Shift has Ferrari DLC cars for XBOX 360 was because Microsoft has the licence, and used as marketing tool to beat other platforms.

3. Ferrari is the major factor that EA can't have the cars in their racing games, since Ferrari is the only car manufacturer on Earth that:

Do NOT want their cars to be modified (exterior);

Do NOT want their cars to be chased by police force;

Do NOT want their cars to be damaged;

Do NOT want their cars to be associated with illegal driving.​

There were some exceptions in the past of NFS games, but not any more.

In addition, the Ferrari DLC cars in NFS: Shift - can NOT be modified (you can change the rims, and that's all.), recieve little to no damage.

If I remember right, you also cannot add any body kits to any ferrari cars in GT5. It's also rumored that Ferrari cars generally recieve less damage than other cars.

Anyway, it's certainly not end of Earth to me that Ferrari is not included in Shift 2. :)

For people asking why Ferrari is not included, I did a little bit search:

1. EA not longer has licence for Ferrari since NFS: Underground.

2. NFS: Shift has Ferrari DLC cars for XBOX 360 was because Microsoft has the licence, and used as marketing tool to beat other platforms.

3. Ferrari is the major factor that EA can't have the cars in their racing games, since Ferrari is the only car manufacturer on Earth that:

Do NOT want their cars to be modified (exterior);

Do NOT want their cars to be chased by police force;

Do NOT want their cars to be damaged;

Do NOT want their cars to be associated with illegal driving.​

There were some exceptions in the past of NFS games, but not any more.

In addition, the Ferrari DLC cars in NFS: Shift - can NOT be modified (you can change the rims, and that's all.), recieve little to no damage.

If I remember right, you also cannot add any body kits to any ferrari cars in GT5. It's also rumored that Ferrari cars generally recieve less damage than other cars.

Anyway, it's certainly not end of Earth to me that Ferrari is not included in Shift 2. :)

You wanna link to where you found some of that info? GT5 has Ferraris with external modifications, I've got a big ass spoiler on my 458. And I'm pretty sure you can damage them too.

I think the truth is that no one is really sure quite what goes on behind the scenes with the Ferrari licences, and it's likely changing year by year.

So how do you explain that Ive been doing alot of illegal racing with a pretty much damaged ferrari being chased by the police in the PS3 (TDU2) ?

So how do you explain that Ive been doing alot of illegal racing with a pretty much damaged ferrari being chased by the police in the PS3 (TDU2) ?

Well, I certainly can't. There might be something going on between EA and Ferrari, and you don't know for sure unless you're an insider.

You wanna link to where you found some of that info? GT5 has Ferraris with external modifications, I've got a big ass spoiler on my 458. And I'm pretty sure you can damage them too.

I think the truth is that no one is really sure quite what goes on behind the scenes with the Ferrari licences, and it's likely changing year by year.

My mistakes for Ferrari cars in GT5 then, properly because I'm not a big fan for Ferrari. Movin' on...

Those points I listed are search results from Google, key words: Ferrari, Need For Speed, Licence, EA, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find a definite site telling you what really happens between EA and Ferrari. Those are some closest possible answers.

It's up to Microsoft that whether they want Ferrari DLC cars in XBOX 360 version of Shift 2. PS3 users can forget about Ferrari. PC users may have a way to get them, of cause, illegally.

Those points I listed are search results from Google, key words: Ferrari, Need For Speed, Licence, EA, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find a definite site telling you what really happens between EA and Ferrari. Those are some closest possible answers.

I typed "ferrari licence need for speed" into Google, and all it gave me was the fevered speculations of random forum users. Hardly basis for any sweeping statements about the future of Ferrari on a platform.

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit more than that mate. You're the one making a definitive statement here. If you can't provide links for at least a couple of pages where you found relevant information then I'm afraid you lose all credibility.

PS3 users can forget about Ferrari.

Why should this be the case? We have evidence of two recent PS3 games featuring Ferrari's (GT5, TDU2), and there are plenty more if you go into the back catalogue.

You're stating this as though it's a fact that we're never going to get Ferrari on PS3. Unless you've got something to back that up with, it's just not so. I agree that it's LIKELY that we won't get it on PS3 given what happened with Shift 1, but that's a far cry from being a sure thing. For all you know, last night Kaz Hirai took Luca di Montezemolo out for a nice dinner and a little lap dancing and they cut a deal for Ferraris on PS3 for the next 20 years.

Here is my personal recap on 3 selected manufactorers, I find it the most plausible when you analyze the past praxis in last 3 years:

Ferrari:
- full multiplatform rights were used only in Outrun games (Sega, under Ferrari Licensed Product brand) and were partially seen in 2008 GRID
- PS3 license users are Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo series under Ferrari Licensed Product brand) and System 3 (Ferrari Challenge/Supercar Challenge games and Ferrari: The Race Experience (PSN game))
- System 3 also used their license for Wii version of Ferrari Chellenge game in 2008.
- Codemasters were granted rights to use F1'10 as included in FOM license for F12010 game
- Codemasters also had rights to release Ferrari F430 GTC and Ferrari F575 GTC on PS3 add-on for GRID
- Polyphony get special rights to use both F12007 and F1'10 cars in GT5 due to some special license from Ferrari (Ferrari being only F1 team that have lease to use their license rghts outside of FOM/Concorde boundaries of FOM-approval licensing)
- Microsoft have some kind of "master license" for Ferrari on X360 and grants it to their developers based on title (Project Gotham Racing, Forza Motorsport, both under Ferrari Licensed Product brand)
- on PC almost noone OFFICIALY uses Ferrari since 2007 and GTR2 game which used only racing models, probably inside general FIA-license. Ferraris were excluded from 2008 GTR Evolution game (made available only as "mod skins" later.
- have no damn idea under which and what license Eden Games got their usage for the TDU2 as multiplatform game in 2011

Regarding Shift 2 - Shift series is somewhat the legacy of Slightly Mad Studious engine called "Ferrari Project".

That "game" - "Ferrari Project" - was not really a finished game, it was really a placeholder development-software made in order to obtain financing and attract Ferrari. But at the time there was no interest, and when mock-ups started to flood the internet, SM was gently asked to remove the Ferrari imagery because they didn't have the license to use it.

Initial license was probably granted to 10tackle Studios (as publisher) in early 2000's and then internally transfered to Blimey! when 10tackle disputed with Simbin (probable reason why Ferrari is absent from GTR series since 2007). Since Ian Bell left Simbin and established Blimey - and then used insolvency of 10tackle and administration of Blimey! to sell both companies to himself - to new company Slightly Mad Studios, there was too much trembling with the license.

Notice that Ferrari Spa. licenses and copyrights EVERYTHING Ferrari-related, including actual shapes and designs of car and it's every part. And you have to negotiate every single usage of anything with their Licensing Department.

Also Notice that Sega had to remove Outrun Online Arcade from PSN in October 2010 due to expiration of license with Ferrari for PS3 usage (and somewhat-surprisingly only few days before System 3 re-released their PSN version of Ferrari/Supercar Challenge "blender", Ferrari: The Race Experience. For that we actually have a rare valid link that pretty much proofs that licenses are probably managed both as time and platform exclusives, because Outrun OA "can" stay on XBLA until Dec 2011:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-12-outrun-online-arcade-taken-off-xbla-psn

Porsche:
- console multiplatform rights are owned exclusively by Electronic Arts
- Microsoft have some kind of "master license" for Porsche on X360 and grants it to their developers based on title (Project Gotham Racing, Forza Motorsport)
- Codemasters also had rights to use few Porsche models on both PS3/X360 GRID
- at this moment only EA has rights to deploy Porsche in their games on PS3
- on PC almost noone OFFICIALY uses Porsche since 2007 and GTR2 game which used only racing models, probably inside general FIA-license. Porsches were excluded from 2008 GTR Evolution game (made available only as "mod skins" later).

Lamborghini:
- made available to all developers, license probably granted inside global Volkswagen license

My personal conclusion:

If you pay enough, you can have whatever you want.

Problem is that developers do not have money nor legal-power to pay/obtain for the licenses since platform-holders and publishers have their very expensive and obviously very exclusive contracts which have no public-trace. Thus, all issues regarding licensing can only be tracked post-catedra since there are no documents or press-releases regarding actual terms and condition for licensing agreements.

We can't find any traces about such licensing, since it is probably negotiated on individual basis and makes a top-secret asset for both sides due to other possible parties involved.

I can only presume that licensing for both Ferrari/Porsche - as 2 most "problematic" licenses - is heavily complicated due to obligations of both manufacturers to their long-term partners or holders of exclusive contracts (such as publishers/platform-holders). Also, it is probably extremely expensive and object to some hard-core mathematics regarding retail results since inclusion of every such contract must be reflected and projected inside game-sales.

Also, for years we have no real idea about the EA>Porsche deal since every year new rumor about "ending in 20xx" re-surfaces, only to be followed with new EA title that exclusively have Porsches.

Last edited:
I typed "ferrari licence need for speed" into Google, and all it gave me was the fevered speculations of random forum users. Hardly basis for any sweeping statements about the future of Ferrari on a platform.

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit more than that mate. You're the one making a definitive statement here. If you can't provide links for at least a couple of pages where you found relevant information then I'm afraid you lose all credibility.

OK, you can blame me for misleading you, movin' on.

Why should this be the case? We have evidence of two recent PS3 games featuring Ferrari's (GT5, TDU2), and there are plenty more if you go into the back catalogue.

You're stating this as though it's a fact that we're never going to get Ferrari on PS3. Unless you've got something to back that up with, it's just not so. I agree that it's LIKELY that we won't get it on PS3 given what happened with Shift 1, but that's a far cry from being a sure thing. For all you know, last night Kaz Hirai took Luca di Montezemolo out for a nice dinner and a little lap dancing and they cut a deal for Ferraris on PS3 for the next 20 years.

I meant NFS: Shift, of cause the other games can have Ferrari cars on PS3.

Here is my personal recap on 3 selected manufactorers, I find it the most plausible when you analyze the past praxis in last 3 years:

Ferrari:
- full multiplatform rights were used only in Outrun games (Sega, under Ferrari Licensed Product brand) and were partially seen in 2008 GRID
- PS3 license users are Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo series under Ferrari Licensed Product brand) and System 3 (Ferrari Challenge/Supercar Challenge games, also FLP)
- System 3 also used their license for Wii version of Ferrari Chellenge game in 2008.
- Codemasters were granted rights to use F1'10 as included in FOM license for F12010 game
- Codemasters also had rights to release Ferrari F430 GTC and Ferrari F575 GTC on PS3 add-on for GRID
- Polyphony get special rights to use both F12007 and F1'10 cars in GT5 due to some special license from Ferrari (Ferrari being only F1 team that have lease to use their license rghts outside of FOM/Concorde boundaries of FOM-approval licensing)
- Microsoft have some kind of "master license" for Ferrari on X360 and grants it to their developers based on title (Project Gotham Racing, Forza Motorsport, both under Ferrari Licensed Product brand)
- on PC almost noone OFFICIALY uses Ferrari since 2007 and GTR2 game which used only racing models, probably inside general FIA-license. Ferraris were excluded from 2008 GTR Evolution game (made available only as "mod skins" later.
- have no damn idea under which and what license Eden Games got their usage for the TDU2 as multiplatform game in 2011

Regarding Shift 2 - Shift series is somewhat the legacy of Slightly Mad Studious engine called "Ferrari Project".

That "game" - "Ferrari Project" - was not really a finished game, it was really a placeholder development-software made in order to obtain financing and attract Ferrari. But at the time there was no interest, and when mock-ups started to flood the internet, SM was gently asked to remove the Ferrari imagery because they didn't have the license to use it.

Initial license was probably granted to 10tackle Studios (as publisher) in early 2000's and then internally transfered to Blimey! when 10tackle disputed with Simbin (probable reason why Ferrari is absent from GTR series since 2007). Since Ian Bell left Simbin and established Blimey - and then used insolvency of 10tackle and administration of Blimey! to sell both companies to himself - to new company Slightly Mad Studios, there was too much trembling with the license.

Notice that Ferrari Spa. licenses and copyrights EVERYTHING Ferrari-related, including actual shapes and designs of car and it's every part. And you have to negotiate every single usage of anything with their Licensing Department.

Porsche:
- console multiplatform rights are owned exclusively by Electronic Arts
- Microsoft have some kind of "master license" for Porsche on X360 and grants it to their developers based on title (Project Gotham Racing, Forza Motorsport)
- Codemasters also had rights to use few Porsche models on both PS3/X360 GRID
- at this moment only EA has rights to deploy Porsche in their games on PS3
- on PC almost noone OFFICIALY uses Porsche since 2007 and GTR2 game which used only racing models, probably inside general FIA-license. Porsches were excluded from 2008 GTR Evolution game (made available only as "mod skins" later).

Lamborghini:
- made available to all developers, license probably granted inside global Volkswagen license

My personal conclusion:

If you pay enough, you can have whatever you want.

Problem is that developers do not have money nor legal-power to pay/obtain for the licenses since platform-holders and publishers have their very expensive and obviously very exclusive contracts which have no public-trace. Thus, all issues regarding licensing can only be tracked post-catedra since there are no documents or press-releases regarding actual terms and condition for licensing agreements.

We can't find any traces about such licensing, since it is probably negotiated on individual basis and makes a top-secret asset for both sides due to other possible parties involved.

I can only presume that licensing for both Ferrari/Porsche - as 2 most "problematic" licenses - is heavily complicated due to obligations of both manufacturers to their long-term partners or holders of exclusive contracts (such as publishers/platform-holders). Also, it is probably extremely expensive and object to some hard-core mathematics regarding retail results since inclusion of every such contract must be reflected and projected inside game-sales.

Also, for years we have no real idea about the EA>Porsche deal since every year new rumor about "ending in 20xx" re-surfaces, only to be followed with new EA title that exclusively have Porsches.

Good enough 👍

That's why I can't find anything official regarding the licence issues.

If it would be extremely expensive for Slightly Mad / EA to obtain the Ferrari license, I'd rather they put that money into programming instead. The overall quality of the game is much more important to me than any single manufacturer.

I'm still pissed at them for creating an entire Ferrari DLC pack for Shift which only the 360 guys could have. PS3 users purchased 2.26 million copies of Shift, while 360 owners purchased 1.7 million. Nice way of saying thank you. Why didn't they devote their time and energies into making multiplatform DLC for their multiplatform game? Stupid on the business side as 57% of their customers couldn't buy it, and very stupid on the public relations front as well.

Come on, if someone that just want a clean fair race is named "ridiculous" by some genius in here, I think the forum itself is failing his original purpose...

Anyway back on topic thanks to amar for the post, it explained a lot of things, and thanks to other users who played thier role in this discussion, it was a nice one :)
I'm still pissed at them for creating an entire Ferrari DLC pack for Shift which only the 360 guys could have. PS3 users purchased 2.26 million copies of Shift, while 360 owners purchased 1.7 million. Nice way of saying thank you. Why didn't they devote their time and energies into making multiplatform DLC for their multiplatform game? Stupid on the business side as 57% of their customers couldn't buy it, and very stupid on the public relations front as well.

I agree with you this is not a good PR move at all, but as amar said it's not intended to be. It's a Microsoft idea trying to advantage their console with this Ferrari DLC against the Sony version of Shift. In a few words it's not beacuse of EA it's because of Microsoft who own the 🤬 rights..
In conclusion... DAMN :grumpy: :sly:

Not to mention last year I've boutgh a xbox360 but after only 15 minutes it completely scratched the FM3 disc (facepalm) so I came back to the store and I've changed it for a ps3. I suggest Microsoft to improve their hardware quality instead of "stealing" big name licences here and there...

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad that at least SOME of us here are interested in racing by the rules of racing!

It's getting easier and easier to see who the 'bashers' online are going to be!

You know what would be 'fun'? If, say, in a soccer game, the striker could pull out a flamethrower and roast the goalie! Or, if Tiger Woods could beat his opponents to death with a 9-iron! Wow! that would SURE be fun! :rolleyes:

Mind you, it would neither be soccer nor golf...

If you can't have 'fun' without bashing other drivers around, you might want to get a bit more seat time! Rather than spamming this forum with arcade sensibilities. There are PLENTY of racing games (Blur, Split Second, heck, even Shift 1!) that REWARDS you for unrealistic behavior. Let the few (if we really ARE the 'few') to have at least ONE game not ruined by immature driving behavior.

'Terminal' damage mode, PLEASE... SMS! You see what we are up against?!

What on earth does that have to do with the car & track list?

We get it, you don't like arcade games, unless you also don't like posting here I suggest you stop trying to start flame wars before a mod makes it so you can't.

Back