Should clutches and brakes have health bar like tires?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 103 comments
  • 9,137 views
I'll throw my hat behind brake wear simulation, though I think it's too late to request anything for GT5. Maybe GT6.
 
No health bars just warning lights for the brakes if they are used up just like real cars. The clutch should just start to slowly slip if they are wornout. This would all depend on the driving style, for powershifters then it should wearout much faster.

Anyway it should all be optional anyway to keep everybody happy and I'm sure the tire sensor will be back in the full game when they implement tire wear. Maybe even tire presure when you get a flat.
 
They could just implement it all into the dashboard of the cars as I'm sure they have thought about taking the digital speed counter right off of the screen. They could add the tire health and all that into the dashboard a well.
 
That would be a case of ultra realism, the kind of realism that would drive people away from the game. As much as we would like to have a painfully real game, we have to remember the game is actually designed to appeal to a broader audience.

On the other hand, wind, damage affecting aero, track and tire temperature, dirty off-racing line, and turbulence from cars ahead would all be features I'd prefer to have over clutch and brake wear.
 
As for all these requests by fans to have this and that feature in GT5, .

No where in this thread have I demanded that stuff be added to the game, only comments on what I'd like to see [with no specified time given]. Some people have surely done the same.

PD will finish when they do, I doubt a thread like this will make them change anything. A petition to refuse to buy the game with 1000 signitures won't make them do anything. It's so insignificant. I think the game should have been released a long time ago, I don't want to wait. I'm certainly not asking for PD to do more work on an overdue game I know almost nothing about it.


That would be a case of ultra realism, the kind of realism that would drive people away from the game. As much as we would like to have a painfully real game, we have to remember the game is actually designed to appeal to a broader audience.

On the other hand, wind, damage affecting aero, track and tire temperature, dirty off-racing line, and turbulence from cars ahead would all be features I'd prefer to have over clutch and brake wear.

Brake fade is a pretty big part of racing, I don't think it's that frustrating either. If you're talking about having to totally maintain your car off track, I guess that might be a bit overdoing it.
 
I would say no to a health bar but yes to a temperature gauge.

Brake fade is a pretty big part of racing, I don't think it's that frustrating either.
You've never raced have you......
 
^ Word :D

I'd say yes to a brake temperature gauge.

Clutch, not so much but I'd absolutely implement an engine wear meter. Run into the red too much, build it too big, it wears faster and needs to be replaced and or rebuilt.
 
I would say no to a health bar but yes to a temperature gauge.


You've never raced have you......

Because I say it's important or because it's not frustrating? I want the driving physics as realistic as possible.
 
Never seen a "health bar" in a real car, so no dont want it.
 
I've always wanted brake fade in GT. Not so much worried about clutch wear and I suppose if the Brakes had worn out it could be linked up with pitting for tyres.
However brake 'fade' is an element that i'd love to see implemented... dont worry about your M-Sport getting brake fade, try out one of those muscle cars that barely brake anyway, by the second corner it'd be quicker throwing it into a drift just to slow down enough for the corner! haha

But having to nurse your brakes and tyres around the Nurb would give you that extra sense of realism.

P.S dont take it too seriously, i can wait till GT7 for this feature, just dont delay the game past March 2010. :)
 
You can't cure brake fade with a pitstop. Not while still remaining on the same lap as everyone else. You can change out warped discs and burnt pads, and bleed the system, but it takes quite a few minutes to do, even with an experienced pit crew.

Brake fade is a pretty big part of racing, I don't think it's that frustrating either. If you're talking about having to totally maintain your car off track, I guess that might be a bit overdoing it.

While I do want brake fade, I'll have to say... yes... it's incredibly frustrating in real life... Sometimes, it's a gradual thing... the brake pedal sinking deeper and deeper each lap...

On most completely stock showroom cars? You'll have brakes, brakes, brakes, a little deeper, a little weaker... then the fluid boils over and your foot goes to the floor. You'll have a pants-soiling moment where the chicane/wall/car in front of you looms closer and closer no matter how furiously you pump the pedal.

Good for me, the last time that happened, I had less brake fade than the guy in front of me, and I pulled up to a stop short of hitting his rear bumper... (I was carrying much more speed into that corner)... only thing that saved me was my typically conservative braking distances (something which I practice in-game, too).

If it goes in GT, we should have the option to switch to DOT4 fluid, add braided brake lines, add "racing" brakes... and on some cars, even a bigger master cylinder. (yes, I love fiddling with them cars!)


That one was epic! :lol: That's the super-duper Eclipse build, isn't it? Legendary tuner, that guy! :D
 
Last edited:
Brake fade possibly, it should be more pronounced on older/heavier cars with crap brakes.
 
Clutch no..but brakes yes, but only in enduros.
 
Why no clutch wear?
It could be part of "drivetrain" wear together with engine power (which in GT4 decreased permanently over time and uses).
As the clutch wears, gear changes would be slower, more unpredictable, launches not as hard as before, and tend to slip under heavy torque loads in high gears.
I think it should be permanent, retained in all races.
But in GT5, to restore it, there would be "GT Auto", where drivetrain/engine overhaul will be possible.

Also I don't understand why wear should only be enabled in enduros.
On shorter races it shouldn't matter much. So why should it be disabled? It would be best and more realistic to keep it on all the time.
 
I think the brake fade could well see its way into future a GT release. I think of more importance is simulating brake pedal feel, first.
 
with engine power (which in GT4 decreased permanently over time and uses).

Is that true?! I didn't know that!



OT: Modern race cars and ultra high end supercars shouldn't as they don't really get fade in real life (unless you're on a street track right behind a guy for 20 laps) but your average road car and older race cars should imo.
 
People seem to forget that it´s not really a simulator this. It´s a game with good but not great physics.

Therefore it seems abit over kill with these kind of things.
 
I would like both in a system like the tire damage display we have seen in past GT's but I agree this would most likely be far too advanced for the average gamer.
 
"far too advanced" ????????
What's so advanced in brakes and drivetrain wear?

In GT4 (and possibly GT5) even the car chassis got worn over time (have you ever seen "chassis refresh" in the parts shop?)

If you're concerned that people might not be able to handle that (!), then there could be a standard/professional mechanical damage/wear selection at the start of the game/career, or something like that, a bit like the driving aids/driving physics modeling selection before each race.
 
I like the second half of your statement. I said too advanced because of the kids which will also be playing. Most only have a DS3 controller and would be very difficult to stay competitive against others who have a much wider brake pedal range to deal with. The damage to gearbox's I don't have any excuse for.
 
You know, that wouldn't be bad to consider. Last game I remember playing that had a gauge for brake wear (at least as I can remember) was Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2. Something like this can add some extra challenge, especially in the longer races. I don't normally use manual transmission with the DualShock, so I can't comment on clutch.

I was going to mention Kaido Battle 3 :P

The brake fade made driving the GTRs (especially the 32, in my experience) much more interesting/exciting/scary. I feel like the effect was probably a bit exaggerated (though maybe not, considering how much moderate speed downhill braking you were doing), but it definitely added a whole layer of strategy to the game.

God that game is amazing, just wish it worked a little better with the DFGT.
 
I like the sound of this, I would really like to see this in game, it would make 24H races much cooler!
 
I would roast the clutch, so no. Brake fade would be pretty cool, but not really since I 'm an infamous late braker... it would end up pissing me off quickly.
 
About brake fade: in real life brakes are among the first things that get upgraded if one gets serious about racing his car, especially on hilly/mountain roads. Real brakes on production cars don't last for long until they start quickly losing stopping power (10-15 hard brakings from medium speeds at around 100-120 Km/h, exponentially less as speed increases. Less for economy cars, more, but not much, for sport oriented cars). Yet, in GT they have always been the last thing to get upgraded, as they did nothing to improve braking (in GT4 at least. Essentially no change at all).

GT upgrade workflow:
Power (x3) -> Suspensions -> Tires -> ...Brakes

Real upgrade workflow:
Tires -> Brakes -> Suspension -> Power
 
No, we shouldn't. We should be able to "feel" it.
 
Remember though that with a sim/game we can't feel G forces.
In real life, those are very important in order to "understand" what's going on with the car.
In the case of brakes also, real brake pedals almost have a life on their own that driving controllers can't replicate yet (except probably in the most expensive custom simulators). So additional visual cues about wear are necessary in my opinion, a bit like the exaggerated/amplified force feedback and wheel reactions. On most modern cars the wheel feels more "dead" than "lively" as in the game.
 
Back