Should GT6 Dlc be free?

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 93 comments

Should GT6 Downloadable Content be free?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, DLC shouldn't be free. Do any of you realize how financially taxing it would be on PD to release free downloadable content every month? Especially in the volume some here are asking. The company would be bankrupt within the year. Now, I realize how much many people here hate Polyphony Digital, but let's not forget that, at the end of the day, they make the game. PD goes bankrupt, Gran Turismo ends. Simple as that.
This.

I'm curious to anyone who thinks extra-work should be free. Do you go to work, not expect any pay for your time, just to satisfy your customer base?

Do you go to work, not expect any pay for your time, just to satisfy your customer base?
Regularly (I'm self-employed), but I don't expect future content to be free. I assume choosing to skip purchasing additional content wouldn't rob the game of its playability. I would have passed on the M4 had it been released only to those who purchased it, but it was nice to get it for free. I would have passed on the AMG VGT "road car" and, unless I got the opportunity to sample it, on the Racing Series as well but we got those for free too. Nice bonus. When this new Spain-based track comes around I would likely be willing to pay for it if need be, unless it's only available for a figure that I can't justify. I welcome free additional content, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Lets get one thing clear first. DLC is not free. You have to own a playstation 3 and the game itself to get this "free" dlc. People who think that PD's doing a charity here are, in my opinion, in a wrong. It's a business strategy that you can see everywhere. Wi-fi is "free" at your favorite junk food place, napkins and toothpicks are "free" when you buy a steak, etc.
Should it be free? Yes. GT6 is not in a position where PD can dictate rules due to monopoly. People are losing interest, that's why you have your free M4 before anyone else. They, no doubt, will have paid DLC, but i bet there will be a lot of attempt to get on user base's good side. There're plenty of games that can get away with nickel-and-dimming their customer base, because they have them cemented. GT6 sales prove, i think, that people are not exactly thrilled about the game.

It should be free as long as there is content missing that should have been in the game at release. I'm not paying for

GPS Based Course Creator
Endurance Races
Vision GT Cars
Community Features
Shuffle Races
Event creator

I might pay for the Senna Content.

What would be more important in my opinion is a roadmap to know what to expect when. I paid for the promised features, so I feel it is my right to know when I'll get them. I don't know what kind of business PD usually does but If I buy anything else, lets say a car and it isn't ready yet I will get a delivery date and not a vague statement that it will be delivered to me at some point in the future.

Finally, the interview helps shed some light on the large scale of downloadable content players can expect to be released for Gran Turismo 6 after its release, as Taku confirms that “at least one additional track per month will be downloadable.”

So where is all that promised stuff? 2,5 months since release and not even a single track within sight. And no I don't count the probably course creator generated one that is coming. I'm talking about things like Interlagos, Hockenheim, Pikes Peak, Red Bull Ring just to name a few.

My 2c, DLC shouldn't be free. Fixing physics problems and regular gameplay updates should be free ( and are ), but PD should be able to charge for what they're producing, they are a business after all. If the right car or track pack comes along, I'll have no problem paying for it as long as I feel the price is reasonable.

There where already cars added that where free but overall dlc depends, I mean for the amount of time and effort that goes into modelling cars and tracks I think it's only right that we pay for it, everything isn't going to be free and why should it be. Look at EA and T10 that charge stupid prices for DLC and u get nothing free. I think PD are fair and deserve credit for its free dlc to fans.

So where is all that promised stuff? 2,5 months since release and not even a single track within sight. And no I don't count the probably course creator generated one that is coming. I'm talking about things like Interlagos, Hockenheim, Pikes Peak, Red Bull Ring just to name a few.

Kaz once was quoted saying, his ideal share of fictional original tracks in relation to real world tracks would be 1:1. Therefore we can assume to see some more fictional tracks before we get more real world tracks. I like real world tracks and I like GT's original tracks, too.

I'm fine with paying for DLC as long as the content is good, in my eyes of course, and as long as it's reasonable.
I like to put it into perspective and think, 'this $5 buys me a lunch at McDonalds' I can go without eating at McDonalds haha.

Like others have said, who goes to work for free? If you do I recommend you stop immediately. However, if it was stuff that was announced before release - then absolutely it should be free.

But really I have to be the disgruntled GTP member, and think "what happened to monthly DLC?"

What happened to a lot of things in Gran Turismo?

Okay, the post is old, you already been told, and if your gonna make some stupid suggestions like 'are you jokin', you gotta be chokin. Get off my thread and show some respect andd carefully, read the textt!!! Cos your really starting to annoy me, so don't destroy me, stay calm, don't control me! You make me wanna close this thread like its dead, you make wanna make a MC till your in bed.

Beautiful poetry. I wouldn't take things too personally. It's been an interesting thread with fair points made.

Now I've got 15 pounds burning a hole in my pocket for a 30 car Porsche pack. I'm hoping to spend it sometime before 2020.

Hasty much?

Don't want to set my expectations too high :)

If they did do a pack like that it should include something like 2-3 lengthy championships, one for road Porsches (or RUF's) and a Porsche Super Cup for race versions. 10 race Championships with each race 40 minutes long. Run each race in championship when you want rather than having to run all at once before doing anything else in the game. If someone wants to run less distance they can choose a percentage of the full distance. Payout would be reduced accordingly. For that I would happily part with my hot cash.

In fact all DLC car packs should be released like that.

I feel like alot of people aren't making a distinction between an "Update" and DLC, as well as Free/Promotional DLC.
Updates are the things outlined on the GT home page as future updates.
The Hudson/BMW/FT1 are in my mind Free Promotional DLC items.
The redbull events were planned content that didn't make it at launch so they came as an update.

All the promised stuff should be free of course, and the majority of things we will get in 2014 should also be free.

of course they should be free, who here likes to pay for anything? heck if the game was free we'd all be super happy. no one likes to pay...

For the consumer, of course it'll be better if everything was free.

But for the producers, why would someone make extra stuff without getting paid?

Beautiful poetry. I wouldn't take things too personally. It's been an interesting thread with fair points made.

Now I've got 15 pounds burning a hole in my pocket for a 30 car Porsche pack. I'm hoping to spend it sometime before 2020.

:lol: I just board and fed up. I practice poetry.

I feel like alot of people aren't making a distinction between an "Update" and DLC, as well as Free/Promotional DLC.
Updates are the things outlined on the GT home page as future updates.
The Hudson/BMW/FT1 are in my mind Free Promotional DLC items.
The redbull events were planned content that didn't make it at launch so they came as an update.

Well my point was that all paid DLC should come with championships specifically for those car packs. So for example a Porsche pack shouldn't just come with the cars but a shed load of races to boot.

Now in my opinion I believe it might be worth paying, mainly considering for the cars. Stuff like B-spec, extra modes will be free in the updates, but the thing I have a problem is with the tracks. As short as 8 new tracks were in the game, I expect them to be free, not only free but as early fair valued price. I love the game as it is, but I still want to see some if those long time, missing, classic tracks return.

I'd say both, because there are cars like the Vision GT cars which should be free, but if they remodeled tracks like SSR11 and Pike Peak with weather and day/night transitions then we can definitely say they deserve the money.

Lets get one thing clear first. DLC is not free. You have to own a playstation 3 and the game itself to get this "free" dlc. People who think that PD's doing a charity here are, in my opinion, in a wrong. It's a business strategy that you can see everywhere. Wi-fi is "free" at your favorite junk food place, napkins and toothpicks are "free" when you buy a steak, etc.
Should it be free? Yes. GT6 is not in a position where PD can dictate rules due to monopoly. People are losing interest, that's why you have your free M4 before anyone else. They, no doubt, will have paid DLC, but i bet there will be a lot of attempt to get on user base's good side. There're plenty of games that can get away with nickel-and-dimming their customer base, because they have them cemented. GT6 sales prove, i think, that people are not exactly thrilled about the game.

How much do you think goes to PD whenever a PS3 is sold? Exactly $0.00. All of it goes to Sony (and rightly so, but that's a different story). Now, figures like this are not public, but suppose SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) takes 20% cut off a GT6 sale. That's $12. May not sound like much, but it means that PD only ever gets $48 a sale, and that's when the game is at full price. Sure, you could make the "feathers make a pillow" argument - revenue does add up, after all - but each GT takes several million dollars to make; I wouldn't be surprised if GT7's budget wound up being over $15 million, in fact. And that's not counting the company's overhead, the development costs for DLC and updates, employee salaries, and so forth.

In short, PD would be putting their necks on the line by doing free DLC. Spending probably $500,000 on even a small DLC pack without expecting anything in return and continuing to do so every month would gravely endanger the company, and I doubt they'd ever get out of the financial pickle they found themselves in. Free DLC sure as 🤬 ain't free to PD, and it's a risk they can't possibly afford to take. I'd be willing to plonk down $15 a pack to help them, and in return I'd get a couple cars or tracks out of it. That seems worth it to me.

Last edited:
PD's share of 60$ are much less than 48$ because the 60$ is what the retailer gets and it includes taxes, shipping costs, a margin... and the retailer bought the games from a wholesaler who maybe bought them from PD/Sony. So, there's much less money to spend for PD...

Well my point was that all paid DLC should come with championships specifically for those car packs. So for example a Porsche pack shouldn't just come with the cars but a shed load of races to boot.
I am actually totally with you there. Its kind of pointless to get new cars without new events to use them in.

No! Why would they? Thats like saying the GAME should be free because it's ''basically'' just GT5.5 according to everyone here.

- but each GT takes several million dollars to make; I wouldn't be surprised if GT7's budget wound up being over $15 million, in fact. And that's not counting the company's overhead, the development costs for DLC and updates, employee salaries, and so forth.
I believe Kaz said GT5 was $60 Million.:eek::eek:

In short, PD would be putting their necks on the line by doing free DLC.
I have nothing to back my opinion, but i think that PD is inseparable from Sony. Whole question here is what's more important for Sony, bucks from DLC or increased interest in their exclusive series, and therefore console itself. What's more appealing to a dummy, 10 bucks for a new car pack, or free dlc that gives him an idea that he's "losing" a deal by not having $60 game. Businesses put profit money back into their enterprises, so money spent doing free DLC just may be repaid by good sales of next game. Or, you can try selling half-backed product now, sell some dlc later and then nobody is as hyped for your next game, i.e GT6.

DLC in general shouldn't be free, but PD could probably do with buying some goodwill at this point. I think it would be a smart move on their part to put out a couple of big free DLC packs, considering all the features the game is still missing and the fact that they haven't even started their "monthly" DLC three months after release.

A little something to show that they're serious about meeting their commitments and keeping their customers happy would be nice.

I'm on the fence with this one. I believe you should be paid for the work you do, but I also feel like the game is not complete yet. All the features that were promised I think should be free. All the NEW cars and tracks should be paid for.

Back