Should GT6 have a "Time Savers" pack?

If you go into online games, you would still have to have all the parts and tuning to be a winner.

That's only if the mistakes from GT5 are repeated. Given GT's history, I guess you could expect some things to carry over, but maybe GT6 will be the one that really resets the series.

It's as much cheating as the moon is cheese. And if it wasn't fun, no one would do it.

I also don't like the ridiculous myth that by progressing from slow cars to fast, your skills somehow improve.

Im not saying that, I never even mentioned it, it simply is just not something that feels right imo but hey to each his own

Hm.

Both Exorcet and t_w_a_h have made compelling arguments for their case. Bravo, gents.

While the idea of any kind of "unlock pack" holds no appeal for me, they've both presented well-thought out arguments to support their position. Save for development time, I can't present an argument that logically refutes their position.

I suppose the question then becomes: how large a percentage of the GTPlanet community (or the GT customer base, in general) actively plays online, with other people, rather than offline, and/or playing against AI in the Seasonal events?

I can only imagine Kaz and PD have metrics to track this kind of thing. I'd imagine that this would weigh in to the development process of GT6.

I'd have no problem with a "Time Savers" pack. Let people play the game the way they want to play it. If someone wants to pay money to unlock all the game's cars at once, then that's more power to them. While I know I wouldn't do it, I know it wouldn't affect me. And if it wouldn't affect me, why should I care?

I'd have no problem with a "Time Savers" pack. Let people play the game the way they want to play it. If someone wants to pay money to unlock all the game's cars at once, then that's more power to them. While I know I wouldn't do it, I know it wouldn't affect me. And if it wouldn't affect me, why should I care?

It may affect you

I remember going online early in GT5 and getting smoked by a black edition McLaren F1

It may affect you

I remember going online early in GT5 and getting smoked by a black edition McLaren F1

That's what a PP limit is for. Or a simple request would probably work too.

And either way, I'm not the type of person who's going to get worked up over someone having an unfair advantage in online lobbies during the first week of the game's release.

We don't know that it won't affect you unless you're certain you won't ever connect with the online community.

Using Forza as an example, I've seen players argue that they feel it is wrong to be banned for cheating to get "dirty" credits; that they should be able to play how they want since it doesn't affect anybody. The truth is that it does at least potentially affect the community because their shady money can ruin the game's economy, devaluing both money and cars. A 10-mil car isn't such a big "get" if some guy can just dump a hundred of them onto the auction house for 1K buyouts just for giggles.

Not knowing what features we may get with GT6, it's very plausible that stuff like "Time Savers packs" could affect the community as a whole.

Why dont i pay for a game?
And then add money to it so that i can claim that i "finished" the game ?!

right...

we are that much closer to a society where doing nothing will cost you...

oh wait... you mean it has always been like this ?? paying to do nothing ?
and even if you did nothing, you would still be paying ...

brain meltdown...

Last edited:
Exactly, there is nothing wrong with having an open sandbox mode alongside the "traditional" GT mode. However, there should never be a pay-to-unlock option.

Using Forza as an example, I've seen players argue that they feel it is wrong to be banned for cheating to get "dirty" credits; that they should be able to play how they want since it doesn't affect anybody. The truth is that it does at least potentially affect the community because their shady money can ruin the game's economy, devaluing both money and cars. A 10-mil car isn't such a big "get" if some guy can just dump a hundred of them onto the auction house for 1K buyouts just for giggles.
Um... I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

I'm not familiar with that aspect of Forza (as I'm not a 360 owner, m'self.) But, in the current version, there's nothing in the GT world that's really the equivalent of your scenario. No one really "loses" anything by trading cars in the marketplace here, since no one is making any kind of profit, virtual or otherwise.

Putting specific restrictions on a lobby should sort out all those people who want to bring their 700+ PP cars into your LeMons or Kei car race, neh?

Pay $60.

Still have to spend hours/days unlocking cars.

Polyphony logic.

GTR and Forza are two games that spring to mind that allow you to use all the content from the get go. Imagine the audacity - having access to what you paid for! ITS INSANE:scared:

machschnel
Pay $60.

Still have to spend hours/days unlocking cars.

Polyphony logic.

GTR and Forza are two games that spring to mind that allow you to use all the content from the get go. Imagine the audacity - having access to what you paid for! ITS INSANE:scared:

Aww you poor thing, you have to actually do races to unlock cars instead of having them handed to you on a silver platter? This is blasphemy! :dopey: :dunce:

Last time I checked, ALMOST all racing games (other then those you mentioned) have you start from lower cars, and work your way up to higher ones. It's a fundamental part of racing games, and I don't see that disappearing entirely anytime soon.

You still have access to what you paid for in the GT series, you just have to work for it. I don't understand why gamers are so lazy these days. One of the fundamental aspects in ANY game, across all genres is progression (RPGs especially, other racers, hell, even FPS games), so why wouldn't that have a place in GT? 💡

Blank_Redge
Um... I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

I'm not familiar with that aspect of Forza (as I'm not a 360 owner, m'self.) But, in the current version, there's nothing in the GT world that's really the equivalent of your scenario. No one really "loses" anything by trading cars in the marketplace here, since no one is making any kind of profit, virtual or otherwise.

Putting specific restrictions on a lobby should sort out all those people who want to bring their 700+ PP cars into your LeMons or Kei car race, neh?

Well, remember back when duping was popular in GT, it completely devalued many 20mil cars. It would be the same basic thing more or less.

Afrodeezy
Aww you poor thing, you have to actually do races to unlock cars instead of having them handed to you on a silver platter? This is blasphemy! :dopey: :dunce:

Last time I checked, ALMOST all racing games (other then those you mentioned) have you start from lower cars, and work your way up to higher ones. It's a fundamental part of racing games, and I don't see that disappearing entirely anytime soon.

You still have access to what you paid for in the GT series, you just have to work for it. I don't understand why gamers are so lazy these days. One of the fundamental aspects in ANY game, across all genres is progression (RPGs especially, other racers, hell, even FPS games), so why wouldn't that have a place in GT? 💡

This.

Would definitely ruin the online community...[snip]

How?

If the only reason you can win a race online is because you have a more expensive car you're in the wrong room (or pretty slow).

(other then those [two racing games, GTR and Forza] you mentioned)

You mean two leaders in their field?

Last time I checked, ALMOST all racing games have you start from lower cars, and work your way up to higher ones.

Most racing "games" attempt to recreate single car series or a particular "scene". GT5 (and hopefully) GT6 were much more like a "driving/racing sandbox".

It's a fundamental part of racing games, and I don't see that disappearing entirely anytime soon.

From the offline portion of a game I agree. A good career mode would be great for GT6.

It's not fundamental in online racing though. Anyone who is vaguely fast online [in a clean room] is way beyond needing to progress through A-Spec to learn anything new.

I don't understand why gamers are so lazy these days.

It's nothing to do with lazy but thanks for the insinuation.

I'd just rather be doing something better, more fun and more competitive online and no longer have any desire to play/grind through an unchallenging offline mode (which I would otherwise avoid) to facilitate getting cars for online.

Is it really that hard to understand that some people simply have no interest in the offline portion of the game [particularly given the somewhat lacklustre state of GT5 offline]? Should they be somehow second class?

That generally falls apart when you talk about simulators. It holds for arcade games.

He has a point. Why pay for things you can't use? It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with practicality. Unlocking might be a staple for many games, but that doesn't make it any less of a bad thing.

By all means keep it for those who want it, but it would be nice if one day devs cared more about making games fun instead of chores.

While instinctively i'd say "No", it actually really should be an option if you don't want to grind through a career in order to access a certain class of car. It's silly to suggest that balancing is thrown out of whack because balancing is determined by race requirements, not the availability of cars. I'll admit in FM4 i bought a couple of Car Tokens to access some of the classic race cars quickly, i've only played the game for a few weeks and if i'd tried to grind my way to those cars i'd still be at it.

Last edited:
It's quite simple, they just need to make all cars drivable straight away in arcade mode.

Hopefully not traditional arcade mode though, taking away tuning and livery editor (assuming it's there) is a big loss.

You should have full, full access without having to go through GT Mode. Also without paying anything more than the cost of GT6.

We don't know that it won't affect you unless you're certain you won't ever connect with the online community.

Not knowing what features we may get with GT6, it's very plausible that stuff like "Time Savers packs" could affect the community as a whole.

The only feature that a "Time Savers" pack could possibly affect is an auction house. But then again, Forza has a car tokens (paying real money to unlock cars in the game) feature and it hasn't seemed to affect the auction house at all, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned.

And even if the game's economy does get ruined, wouldn't that be a good thing? It would essentially allow most users to have access to a wider variety of cars, thus making the community happier. The real-world economy has been lagging for years-- so it would be nice to be able to easily purchase any car I want in a video game.

So as a whole, I still doubt a "Time Savers" pack will affect the community much-- and even if it does, such a feature can only have positive repercussions.

Shouldn't be there, the first couple of months of GT5 online was brilliant with the variety of cars in lobbies, GT6 should be the same for as long as possible.

Back