Should GT6 have a "Time Savers" pack?

avens
This. It ruins the game for the very purchaser.

Also this is different than having some mode or cheat code exclusively available for live events or tournaments, which unlocks everything so it's easier to host them and players (potential buyers) get to try the complete package. That's a must these days.

Having more (or all 1000+) cars available for Arcade Mode and Online would solve this.

Having more (or all 1000+) cars available for Arcade Mode and Online would solve this.

Nope, because that makes players not try single player, which is what the GT series is about (sadly lost in GT5). I'd agree if this was forza for example (which already does for the most part), but in the GT series collecting cars is a flagship.

That's why it has to be a cheat code or a mode reserved for live events, which most probably PD uses in their GT5 demonstrations and tournaments due to the saved data PS3 restrictions.

I get making a "live event only" mode has practical problems, so a simple cheat code should do the trick. It's a business decision anyway and I'm just exposing what regular GT fans think, because personally I'd love arcade mode having all cars but most fans of the series won't.

Last edited:
To be devils advocate...

[Offline, single player] which is what the GT series is about (sadly lost in GT5)....

For you.

[working your way up through A-Spec] which is an important part of GT5....

For you.

Personally, I would rather poke myself in the eye with a stick than play against slow, lacklustre AI (or any AI for that matter, real people rock).

When I buy GT6 I want all the cars (or at least a better selection than is currently held in the recommended cars list) available to me for online racing from the very start. I don't want to have to WASTE my limited gaming time "earning" virtual cars driving offline races I don't enjoy.

Why should an online only player HAVE TO do something we plainly have no interest in in order to be able to play online? After all, you need cars and plenty of them if you want to fully participate online yet the only way to get these cars is to earn virtual credits at a half decent pace is by playing the offline/seasonal game.

Who knows how many boring hours I have had to sink into part of the game I don't enjoy in order to be able to play the bits I do.

So yes, I would like something to enable me to ignore "A-Spec" yet enjoy online racing. I'd rather not pay but if I had to, I would. I value my time more highly than a few quid for an unlock.

Oh, so having 50 to 100 or more cars available to use with online or arcade mode would not be more fun for those modes? Yet a cheat code that unlocks everything is better? Yeah, ok. There would be absolutely no reason to play single player whatsoever.

Lemme see if I have this right. You're against adding more or all cars available to online and arcade so they can be used for fun modes, helping to sell more games possibly. You are for a cheat code (DLC code is the modern equivalent) that unlocks everything to be used online?

Of any thread needs a simple "yes no" poll, it is this one.

avens
Nope, because that makes players not try single player, which is what the GT series is about.

Spagetti said

Really. Don't forget you can't tune or customise cars unlocked in Arcade mode.

True all cars are unlocked for arcade in Forza. Not available fit tuning though.

You have to tackle issues both with a players and business perspective, not personal.

It's quite obvious you want to try everything immediately and so do I, but that's not a good business decision on this particular franchise. It only is fine for promotional stuff but that has practical problems associated with it.

It's quite obvious you want to try everything immediately and so do I, but that's not a good business decision on this particular franchise.

No, a good business decision is making a good product that allow players choose to play the game how they, the people spending their money, want to play.

Forcing people to play through an offline "story" portion of a game even if they don't want to, or have no time for, makes no sense in this online, choice orientated world.

avens
You have to tackle issues both with a players and business perspective, not personal.

It's quite obvious you want to try everything immediately and so do I, but that's not a good business decision on this particular franchise.

Hmm. I wouldn't personally spend money on a time savers pack, however.

There are bound to be fans who are unable to dedicate the time to GT as they did in the past.
It's along running series and many have kids of there own etc.

Alienating those may be a bad buisiness decision too.

As all ways an option is just that, so I couldn't give a damn. Tbh.

No, a good business decision is making a good product that allow players choose to play the game how they, the people spending their money, want to play.

Forcing people to play through an offline "story" portion of a game even if they don't want to makes no sense in this online orientated world.

It's not only about making people buy the game in first place but also keeping them playing, so they buy DLC for example. You have to admit collecting cars, story mode, licenses, special events, seasonals and all that made you not drop the game in a month or so.

Ya know, their are the sort if people who think having all the cars means the game has just begun.

Not, I've completed it, put it on shelf.

You have to admit collecting cars, story mode, licenses, special events, seasonals and all that made you not drop the game in a month or so.

Nope, I only play the game for online, I started off shuffling and I still am now.

I buy DLC so I can use the cars and tracks how I decide, in races of my own making, online.

The "story" mode and collecting cars is a chore [for me]. If the races offline had a smidge of imagination or challenge maybe that would change but frankly as it stands now they aren't even close to the experience of a good online race.

It shouldn't as I think getting the cars on gt is an achievement. Just buying them off Psn ruins the need for events other than for tuning, which let's face it, isn't quite that much.

If the races offline had a smidge of imagination or challenge maybe that would change but frankly as it stands now they aren't even close to the experience of a good online race.
And putting a $5 "buy this to get around playing the game" unlock code on PSN doesn't do anything towards fixing those problems. It in fact encourages the opposite, if we wanted to play amateur psychologist in here.

t_w_a_h

Forcing people to play through an offline "story" portion of a game even if they don't want to, or have no time for, makes no sense in this online, choice orientated world.

You have a choice whether or not to buy the game. Should I be pissed off that Tiger Woods doesn't have a Happy Gilmore mode? Perhaps F1 2012 should land us in the seat of the best team in the game instead of playing through it, just because that's how I roll?

You must be part of the Participation Trophy Generstion?

t_w_a_h

"forcing" people to play offline? You've got to be kidding me... What about all of the GT's that didn't have online play? No one complained about playing single player then. Everyone who complains about having to play through an offline mode is kind of sad to be honest. By trying to make GT more biased to online play, you're killing a fundamental part of the GT series.

t_w_a_h
Nope, I only play the game for online, I started off shuffling and I still am now.

That's cool, I respect that, play the game how you want To

However, I don't think the game should be catered to those who just want to play online. Offline is, always has been, and always should be a staple of the GT series.

I'm happy to pay virtual credits for cars. No problems there.

But please don't make it a grind to obtain money. Plenty of events should be a number one priority.
(see sig)

Not to fond of unlocking tracks though, Why?

I hate the levelling system, used to be able to have right to buy cars, that's just silly. If I have the credits let me buy.

Keep UCD for cars with miles at a cheaper price but let me buy new at a premium price also.

Afrodeezy
However, I don't think the game should be catered to those who just want to play online. Offline is, always has been, and always should be a staple of the GT series.

fair enough, the offline is pretty appalling though.
Wasn't even fun for me. Lack of leaderboards didn't help either.

Bah.

I think there should be CHEATS for OFFLINE, and to not affect trophies. For Online it is all skill. A Time Savers Pack would be a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY. It was fun to collect cars anyway....

Spagetti69
fair enough, the offline is pretty appalling though.
Wasn't even fun for me. Lack of leaderboards didn't help either.

Bah.

I didn't enjoy going through A Spec to be completely honest, but I did like most of the special events. So yes, offline could use some work, but it still has its respective place in GT Games

And putting a $5 "buy this to get around playing the game" unlock code on PSN doesn't do anything towards fixing those problems. It in fact encourages the opposite, if we wanted to play amateur psychologist in here.

Without using rubber banding, AI is always going to be, in my lifetime at least, predictable at best.

I will always choose to play a real human over a bot. It's just [for me] way more fun.

You have a choice whether or not to buy the game.

Yes I do. And unless there is a compelling reason to buy it I won't. The online section is the compelling reason for me.

Perhaps F1 2012 should land us in the seat of the best team in the game instead of playing through it, just because that's how I roll?

In terms of online racing, it already does that. If I want to race online I can step straight into a Ferrari if I want. And if you want to play the career mode and want to start off in the smaller teams and build up your "profile" you can do that too.

Choices are pretty cool.

You must be part of the Participation Trophy Generstion?

It would be nice to have a debate online without people resorting to pointless digs.

For the record I'm an employed professional with a disabled wife and three children, I don't have time [or inclination] to grind endlessly to buy a 15,000,000 car I want in order to take part in a one make online race with my friends.

And why should I?

Some feeling of pseudo achievement?

Sorry but that's just not my gig man.

"forcing" people to play offline? You've got to be kidding me... What about all of the GT's that didn't have online play? No one complained about playing single player then. Everyone who complains about having to play through an offline mode is kind of sad to be honest. By trying to make GT more biased to online play, you're killing a fundamental part of the GT series.

Yes, and what about when we all got dysentery and died before we reached 40. Wasn't that just awesome. The good old days.

If you want to live in the glory of days gone by and past achievements that's just fine.

I'm not arguing GT6 shouldn't have a comprehensive offline career mode. I would just - personally - like it to be optional. Just as online racing is optional to the sector of the market who like offline play.

The simple fact of GT5 from an online player point of view is that if you want to play online in more than just shuffle racing or recommended car spec races you NEED to gain credits to buy and tune your own cars. With the limited online payout the only way to do this effectively is to play the offline or seasonal races both of which bore me to tears.

So in essence, yes, I am forced to play A-Spec in order to play online.

First off, this isn't about online vs offline. Allowing a progression bypass has zero effect on single player. Every person on Earth but one could vanish and single player would be left intact, because single player is as the same implies played by a single individual. What other individuals do isn't really something that people should get to decide.

No. I bought the time savers pack for burnout and it ruined it for me.

Then decline the bypass option. GT5 not having all cars unlocked ruined the first hours for me.

Unlocking cars doesn't necessarily help your driving, but what it DOES do is allow you to get a feel for the game and it's mechanics with much more tame cars. Having real world racing experience doesn't do much for your argument because, as we all know, GT5 doesn't go hand-in-hand with real life, but that's a different discussion.

It doesn't have to go hand in hand. Not even professional simulators do. It's about how close. GT5 has issues, but it's at least close enough to apply real driving techniques. There also isn't a need to adapt to anything in slower cars. You can do it in whatever car you want. I don't play the F1 series, but I don't think that by starting off players in F1 cars (as I assume they do) the player population is left unable to drive.

Because to earn the car, you have to do the Vettel challenges. If you did them (especially if you golded them), you probably know that it took hours of getting used to the car to get a good lap time, and once you took the car somewhere else, you already knew how to drive the beast correctly.
Or B-Spec. And no, you didn't necessarily know how to drive it. You knew how to get at least bronze with the car on its minimal downforce setting on three specific tracks for only two laps. Throw custom settings into the mix and possibly other cars on the track and you could have huge problems because GT prevented you from experiencing these conditions and practicing.

I won't deny that by driving the car, you'd learn something, but your experience would be very limited if all you could do was the VC, as opposed to being able to take the car anywhere and engage in unlimited practice. It's also not like once the car is unlocked from the start, people are barred from practicing with it. Freely available X1's could have increased average driver skill for that car (or any car). And as always, trouble makers could be dealt with swiftly.

Are you saying GT isn't fun if you aren't always driving a top level car?...
Of course not (though some of the GT games really made slower cars seem pointless because of physics issues, GT5 excelled with slower cars compared to some past GT's).

I'm saying that having whatever percentage of content locked away until you complete some arbitrary criteria adds nothing to the game. It actually takes away. I like racing simulators because I like to race, and I don't want to have to go through hoops to race as I please. This applies to everything in the game. F1 cars should not require hours of play to acquire, and neither should Fiat 500 (the UCD was another horrible part of GT5 IMO).

A new system that allows people to dive into the game can coexist with the old system, so I don't see there is any reason to oppose it.

Why would you buy a game if you don't want to play through it?...
Why should a game require playing through? I just want to play it. I don't want to have my hand held and be taking through a long, annoying, round about way of accessing the entire game.

I've driven multiple hour long endurance races online. The same races offline I just rammed my way through with the X1 because there was nothing to enjoy (in part due to the AI and terrible race set ups such as catch the rabbit). I would only do them to unlock something else.

Even if you took online out of the equation, I would much prefer an event creator where you could set up any race to GT Mode where your options are limited.

Just because you feel this way doesn't mean that everyone does. You actually sound quite arrogant with your opinions. On top of this, (weakening your argument even further) not everyone who has a PS3 has a PSN Account and Internet access, so basing the game on online play would be screwing those people over, and any game designer wants to cater to as large of an audience as possible.

The bold resounds in everyone of my posts. That is my entire point. GT Mode and free mode can coexist, and everyone is happy.

I have no idea how I sound arrogant, but if I do I apologize. It's not my intent. I can be blunt, and when I see people repeating the same old things or stating opinions as fact, I like to jump on them. However, I'm am being as accommodating as possible because I realize that the world doesn't revolve around me.

I am not, and have never advocated basing the game around online play. What I've done is promoted a new kind of GT game that allows one to choose how they want to play.

But it does. If this was in GT5, people purchasing it would have cars that are WAY overpowered for events.
Think about that for a second. What real life race allows you to enter a F1 car against Mini's? Firstly, what someone else does in GT is none of your business. If someone wants to nuke the competition, it is perfectly fine. Secondly, if GT was designed with proper racing in mind, we would be able to get a close race the first time by clearly knowing what our opponents would be driving. Finally, you could come in last place in every race in GT and eventually be able to buy a car that would wipe the competition away in 99% of race. Difficulty is foreign to GT Mode. It only deals in terms of time spent. "High difficulty" in GT just means it takes you longer to do. You can't really fail.

By this time in GT5, I would assume you have a lot of cars in your garage. Go back to the lower tier of A Spec races, and you'll see that you have cars that outclass the events tenfold. (McLaren F1 in British lightweights, where your closest competitor has 200 BHP. Need I say more?). Having a timesavers pack would ruin the balance of A Spec, and working your way up through the ranks, which is an important part of GT5.
What if I went through my garage and picked one of my 200 hp cars for the BLW cup? Or a 150 hp car? I could do that too with all cars unlocked. By the way, the first time I did the BLW cup, I used a TVR, obtained "legally".

Working through the ranks is not an important part of GT5. It is an important part of GT5 to you.

Nope, because that makes players not try single player, which is what the GT series is about (sadly lost in GT5). I'd agree if this was forza for example (which already does for the most part), but in the GT series collecting cars is a flagship.
No one has to try single player, there is zero reason to, so this isn't a problem.

"forcing" people to play offline? You've got to be kidding me... What about all of the GT's that didn't have online play? No one complained about playing single player then.
Actually, yes, people did. GT has had many flaws as a game and as a sim. In GT2, nearly every race hard restrictions which at least helped the player pick a car that would in theory provide a close race. Then the restrictions vanished, and then they would occasionally pop up, they would still only be hp restrictions, which meant you could take your 500 hp car X into a race only to find that the rest of the field has 500 hp car Y's, all weighing half as much as car X.

PD is guilty of many lazy omissions like that.

Everyone who complains about having to play through an offline mode is kind of sad to be honest. By trying to make GT more biased to online play, you're killing a fundamental part of the GT series.

There is nothing special about offline. Some people like it, some people don't. The same goes for online. Online has been every bit as fundamental to GT since GT4. If it disappeared, it would almost guarantee that GT would fail as a franchise. If you want to argue tradition, why not get rid of the the real tracks and banish all the cars faster than Super GT. Those weren't a part of GT1 after all.

That's cool, I respect that, play the game how you want To

You can't force people to think like you. Face it, offline is garbage in the minds of some people, and there is nothing that will make as important as online to those people. There is nothing that makes one side more right than the other. There is also no reason that one side needs to oppose the other. Like I said in the beginning, arguing about online vs offline is pointless. You could still play old fashion GT even if PD added a Mario Kart mode. Why make an argument out of nothing?

Pd limited trading to stop x2010s being given out, that's pointless if you can pay however much to get as many as you like for 0cr.

My view point is, you should have the opportunity to buy a car/cars but they should come stock or just as modified as you would buy it with in game credits. I think it's the fair way to go about it. The only difference is you would be using real money. If you go into online games, you would still have to have all the parts and tuning to be a winner. As far as a blanket pack for all the cars, they should also come stock. No one will have a leg up if the cars are made available to everyone through multiple routes.

Latest Posts

Back