Should I be wearing gloves?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 42 comments
It is generally used for grip. When you are riding or something else at that time you need to hold perfectly. But, if your hands are sweaty you can't hold anything for a long time. So, you need gloves or you can also use the grip that perfectly holds a sweaty hand. For example, In a golf game, some people use golf grip for the sweaty hand.

Stenosing tenosynovitis is a condition commonly known as “trigger finger.” More here
I suffer this, and the only one reason why I suffer it is because I drive sim-racing. The real life steering wheel is thicker and doesn't give me trouble (I drive 40 miles daily), the G29/G27 are smaller wheels and thinner, and causes me this problem in both pinkies. Would I stop racing? No way. The gloves help me (sweaty hands), but I lose the feeling of the FFB in Gt Sport so I have to increase the torque and I have to play with FFB 10/10 :D
In PC1 the FFB is just brutal, way more intense than in GTSport, so no problem at all.:lol:

Stenosing tenosynovitis is a condition commonly known as “trigger finger.” More here
I suffer this, and the only one reason why I suffer it is because I drive sim-racing. The real life steering wheel is thicker and doesn't give me trouble (I drive 40 miles daily), the G29/G27 are smaller wheels and thinner, and causes me this problem in both pinkies. Would I stop racing? No way. The gloves help me (sweaty hands), but I lose the feeling of the FFB in Gt Sport so I have to increase the torque and I have to play with FFB 10/10 :D
In PC1 the FFB is just brutal, way more intense than in GTSport, so no problem at all.:lol:

I'm wondering would cycling steering wheel ribbon help? You could wind it over your wheel thickening it while still hold somewhat (if not more) grip then the actual leather itself.
I knew people in cycling that double wound there steers for somewhat the same issues you seem to have.

http://www.wiggle.com/bar-tape/

I'm wondering would cycling steering wheel ribbon help? You could wind it over your wheel thickening it while still hold somewhat (if not more) grip then the actual leather itself.
I knew people in cycling that double wound there steers for somewhat the same issues you seem to have.

http://www.wiggle.com/bar-tape/

Thank you, that's a great idea!:cheers:
This thing is relatively new (I started racing seriously in June), but now that you mention it, in the past whenever I rode my bike for too long I had the same problem. Must be a common injury for cyclists. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thank you very much for the tip.

Thank you, that's a great idea!:cheers:
This thing is relatively new (I started racing seriously in June), but now that you mention it, in the past whenever I rode my bike for too long I had the same problem. Must be a common injury for cyclists. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thank you very much for the tip.

You might have to be creative about securing the end of the wrap and I don't know.anyone who has tried it so just throwing out an idea hope it helps for you!

Keep me posted as I am curious if this would work. :)

I'm totally going to do this, I'm going to use a double wrap actually. The first one cheap but thick and the second one good quality leather looking. I will gain between 3 and 4 mm radius and it will feel more padded. It's also highly shock absorbent, as many cyclists write in their reviews.
I'll post pictures, but first I need to find the tapes. 👍

I burn every time my finger while drifting, when wheel turns by itself very fast. Its getting hot and i lost hair already on that spot :D

edit because post is dead

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
When I'm viewing videos I see the guys wearing racing gloves.

What is the purpose of the gloves and do I need them?
I've been racing from ever since (couple years now) bare-handed because I just liked the natural feel. The wheels so far have been leather. I don't think my hands get sweaty (unless they do and I just don't notice). With constant use my right thumb has grown a callous right where the thumb meets rim.
Anyway since I recently ordered a new wheel...Fanatec BMW GT2 (due to arrive in a couple days) which the rim is covered in alcantara I began to contemplate on getting a pair of gloves to protect the material. In advance, I bought a pair of cycling gloves since that was available locally at a cycling shop. It looks to be a good quality one. The top part is a light enough mesh fabric for ventilation and the bottom part for palms is of a suede-like material...light but durable.

I've had it now for 2 days and tried it with my existing leather covered wheel. At first it felt strange not quite feeling my bare hands on the wheel but I think I'm getting more and more accustomed to it with use. Being a full finger covered glove it felt strange trying to touch the wheel buttons though but again getting accustomed to that too. I may also get a finger-less one and see how that works. At least that should give me a better feel for the buttons.

I'll continue using gloves. If I did earlier on I would not have developed that hard callous I was talking about and even preserved the existing leather wheel from wear. And definitely having now invested in the new alcantara wheel I'd be sure to be using the gloves.

Good to know, I drive withou shoes, just in socks. And it is very nice, I have more control. (I do the same in real life sometimes)
For years I drove barefoot (and even tried socks) for that one-to-one feel of pedals and feet. Thing is I noticed my feet would later in the night get periodic cramps...probably from the muscle action including a bit of curling of the toes depressing pedals. I began to consider racing shoes but they are so expensive plus not available locally.

You know what works good and has worked for me? Water/sea shoes...very light footwear that one use at the beach especially for when walking in the water with rocks, pebbles or whatever. The sole has just a thin rubber coating so you don't lose that foot to pedals communication. Plus they're very cheap. Win-Win.

Since I've been using them I no longer get those cramps which wake me up in un-Godly hours of the night and doesn't take away from the natural feel. This is what it looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JTH68T/?tag=gtplanet-20

@davidt33 As someone who is soon to be properly starting out with a wheel & pedals thank you for your advice-insight.
What you have said makes perfect sense & as a road bike cyclist I already have several pairs of fingerless gloves so I'm halfway there already.. 👍

@davidt33 As someone who is soon to be properly starting out with a wheel & pedals thank you for your advice-insight.
What you have said makes perfect sense & as a road bike cyclist I already have several pairs of fingerless gloves so I'm halfway there already.. 👍
You're welcome. The gloves I think makes sense. So long as they're not too padded for the palms so you still benefit from hand communicating with wheel. Wish I had used them years ago. I just bought the other one I was talking about too. One with the tip of the fingers exposed for pressing the buttons. Same good quality as the full covered fingers one. It feels very comfy and I think I'll like it. Gonna put them on and try in a while.

UPDATE: Ok so I tried the ones with the cut-off finger tips and it feels way better, very comfy and can easily press the wheel buttons now too etc. Think this is gonna be my main glove.

Last edited:
Back