Should PD Just Scrap the Penalty System Altogether?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 95 comments

Should PD Remove the Penalty System Altogether?

• Yes

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 65.9%

• Total voters

Pigems

Premium
Canada
Canada
TT_Pigems
Simple question, Would you rather the Penalty System be just flat out be removed from the game at this point? PD can’t seem to get it right, so why bother even having it at all. The best racing we had was when it was turned off completely a few months back. Supposedly PD reads these forums, so if we can get enough votes, maybe they will actually make a change.

This is not a thread for complaining about the PS, we already have a thread for that. So let’s try to stay on topic here. Don’t forget to vote. :)

I don't think the game is capable of correctly assigning fault for an incident, it’s between well over 2 years now and it’s still handing out pens to the wrong cars. Makes me think it’s not possible to get it right at this point.

I think they need to throw more resources at it. Kinda funny that you began this thread right as I posted in the other physics poll thread.
My basic point was imagine if the pen system worked right.
For all we know there’s maybe only a few people at PD maybe 1-2 responsible for it.
I think they would get a great return on investment if they put more resources into it and the system worked.
But, if you are right I agree, turn it off.

A problem would not be solved simply by taking the extreme opposite of the spectrum.

So no.

And dont forget that time when the penalty system barely works at all until latest update.

When I used to host lobbies, I'd always have penalties off. In fact, I've never hosted a lobby with them on, nor would I ever consider doing so. However, that only works when the drivers you race with are clean to start off with. I don't think it would work well in Sport Mode. I'd prefer to see clean & dirty events in Sport Mode: if you cater to dirty drivers most of them would separate themselves (that worked very well in the GT5 Shuffle lobbies as they were labelled either clean or dirty in the room title).

You have too much faith in humanity...

A lot of people here said things like that when the system was off and didn’t race.
I raced more and after one day the racing was pretty much the cleanest it’s been in a long time AND people pulled over immediately when they made mistakes...
Why?
They knew they’d get punted if they didn’t.
Players policed themselves very effectively.
Fear is a big human motivator.
The fact is it was better off than on.
Matchmaking was much better also.

A lot of people here said things like that when the system was off and didn’t race.
I raced more and after one day the racing was pretty much the cleanest it’s been in a long time AND people pulled over immediately when they made mistakes...
Why?
They knew they’d get punted.
Fear is a big human motivator.
I don't think so, for example look at games without a penalty system like Forza or Project Cars, online is literally a mess... On GT at least you can actually race.
Penalty system as bad as it is at least it is a very good deterrent to avoid ramming people.
To me they just should go back to the penalty system of some months ago, much better than nowdays

I don't think so, for example look at games without a penalty system like Forza or Project Cars, online is literally a mess... On GT at least you can actually race.
Penalty system as bad as it is at least it is a very good deterrent to avoid ramming people.
To me they just should go back to the penalty system of some months ago, much better than nowdays

I am just explaining what happened in top daily lobbies on NA.
Better matchmaking, cleaner racing, if a bad apple came in they were dealt with.
You rarely see anyone pull over in sport mode as they should if they make a mistake, but that’s what happened.
I raced a ton more when the system was off and it was great.
Matchmaking worked better also because essentially it was based only on qual time.
I dunno how many races I did but it was a lot more than now.
Nothing is worse than having a race ruined by a non functioning system that assigns blame incorrectly.
Turn it off or make it work right!

I voted no but I'm borderline on it and I completely understand why people would vote yes.

Way back when I was new around here and people were hating on the penalty system then (we're talking 18 months ago) I would argue that a bad penalty system is better than no penalty system. What I wasn't expecting was PD to take that so literally and really test how far they could push it :rolleyes:

My reasons for voting no are basically as already mentioned, but also that I do believe a functioning system is possible. We've had WAY better in the past to what we have now, so I believe it is fixable. And I am saddened that PD are making such a hash of it as it's really ruining the racing at the moment and I know a lot of people are probably losing the GT bug because of it.

So yeah, I'm optimistic (and perhaps naively so) that PD will eventually fix it.

Here's my take on this PS situation and please take this with a huge grain of salt. A while back people complained and even said it can't get any worse. And then PD pretty much said "hold my beer and watch this". There will never be a perfect system, But it can be fixed if they care to fix it. The same way they can penalize one person for getting hit, they can also penalize a person for giving the hit. Just drive around Tokyo. If you hit a wall, you get a penalty. That's contact. I'm sure they can figure out a way to differentiate a car from a wall. Furthermore, if they want to dish out "collective" blame, then they can set it up this way.

First contact between two players....1 sec
Second contact from one of those same players....5 sec
Third contact from one of those same players....10 sec
Fourth contact....disqualified.

Using that system or something similar will definitely keep the constant rammers at bay and the cleaner drivers will limit their contact throughout the race.

Just my .02.

Keith.

I like the idea idea of penalties ramping up.
Especially in the case of rear enders, I think all rear enders or if you hit a car, with any part of your car ahead of your front wheels, with enough force to make their tires lose any traction, you should be penalized no matter what.
Side contact should only be penalised if one or both cars is turning into the other, with more than say 15°. With enough force to make the tires lose any traction. This way if someone starts ramming into you on a straight, they get penalized and the person trying to drive straight does not.

As it stands right now, rear ending and punting penalties are literally turned off, as in they do not exist. I dont know in what world that makes sense in.
Yet you can get 4-7 secs for accidentally being touched on the side, in an innocent racing incident.

@Pigems should I post 'THE VIDEO'? hahahahah

Last edited:
No.
Frankly, I find it disheartening that so many like the idea of vengeance racing.
I don't have the time to race multiple times a day/evening, so, tracking down my assailant, in the next race, or the one after isn't in the cards for me, and quite frankly, I have zero desire to do such. If I get to that point in my thought process, I'm no longer racing... I'm just gaming.

I've said it a billion times, P1.13 was the cleanest racing ever, but, there were too many folks crying "rubbing is racing".
All that needed was revise time served to end of race, rather than on track, and this thread would not exist.

my.02

How about running six sport races 3 for rammers/wreckers 3 with pen for clean racers. If someone gets more than 5 pen in a week they get kicked back to rammers/wreckers race until next set of races, this way some rammers (very few) might learn how to race. Make payouts better for clean racing.

Kinda amazes me how more people prefer penalties over heavy damage.
You would think people might prefer a more realistic approach in sim racing to real racing.

I still think there is a balance that PD could reach that maybe more lobby racers would be onboard with. Keeping Penalties on for DR B and lower but once you reach DR A and above the contact penalties would be removed in favor of heavy damage in it's place.
I know quite a few lobby racers who simply don't like Sport Mode/FIA because the penalty system it's just not realistic enough.

@Pigems should I post 'THE VIDEO'? hahahahah

I dunno what video you have, but I have one at Spa of me late braking into the chicane my front left into your right side and I believe you took five sec, effectively ruining your race.
Horrid drive by me on that one.
I should have got the five. Blame assignment is broken. At least with no pen your race could continue albeit with time lost from the savage hit.
I wouldn’t care if you posted it but I won’t :).

Edit for my side I really would not like getting damaged from someone’s hit. That’d be worse than what it is but that’s just my POV.

Edit 2 at Spa with damage most races would end up 1-3 cars racing out front 6-10 either smoking on side of road stopped or limping into the pits...

Last edited:
I voted yes.

Right now I only get penalties when somebody hits me... Also you can literally punt free of charge from the penalty system right now. Id rather not be given a penalty for somebody elses carless driving than be given a penalty and the seething rage of wanting to punt the trash driver because i got a penalty i didnt deserve. At least with no penalty system i can be bumped wide and keep going without losing 5 seconds and just bump them back a little to show my displeasure. Now when i get 5 seconds for somebody elses bad driving im definitely punting them to even out my massive time loss. Also to me giving out penalties to the wrong car is so much worse than just giving both people penalties. At least with both cars receiving a penalty there is no advantage to being overly aggressive. The victim still gets hosed but at least the perpetrator has to serve one as well not just driving off into the sunset.

Last edited:
Scrap it ... and scrap SR as well. That system will never work the way it's set up and always be annoying for proper racers.
There's been a lot of reasonable suggestions from our members here on the forums, I still have hope for the next GT version at least ... but a hard cut is what it takes.

Back