Should PD Just Scrap the Penalty System Altogether?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 95 comments

Should PD Remove the Penalty System Altogether?

• Yes

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 65.9%

• Total voters
Voted no, the current penalty system is trash but when there was no penalties I got taken out on the last lap so many times by dirty drivers who knew a push or punt at the final corner and the position was theirs! I even saw one guy punt me and two others at the same time in the final corner and got all 3 positions so I don't think no penalty works. They had a system that worked, all it needed was to adjust/manage the penalty that someone could give you by hitting you and driving off track. That was all that was really wrong with that system (think it was the pre Laguna Seca update).

Unfotunately PD just seem to throw it all out and create a new version each time. There is plenty examples out there of better systems so why PD are so blind or stubborn is beyond me, the game could lose top players at this rate which is something they surely don't want to happen :boggled:

Yes, there will be instances where the driver in front has braked irrationally and caused a collision, but the onus does lie on the car behind to leave a safe distance between the two. With GTS, there will be no witnesses, so assumptions will have to be made and given the ramming / punting which happens, I'm merely suggesting that the car behind is deemed at fault. At the moment it's the other way round and the good guys are being penalised.
On the whole I have had B S rating until the update. I always try to race clean and leave space. Currently on sport mode the Spa race has been a mess. I have qualified on the front row, got a good start then braked for turn 1 only to be punted off the track and given a time penalty. As well as that I’m at the back of the grid!! My ratings then drop and more so if I quit the race. I don’t shunt other drivers nor do I purposely ram them off the track.

I voted no. BUT that’s conditional.

If the plan is no penalties and no damage then 100% no. While I did have a few great races when penalties were off, I also had some of the dirtiest racing ever with a few bad apples.

I’m open to the idea of no penalties, but my conditions are full damage and a better working SR system to give actual meaning to S.

Another idea to help with ranking. Have quali be based on a total time over 2 laps. This will weed out the “lighting in a bottle” guys qualifying way above there actual race pace.

Since it is inherently difficult to determine fault in an incident whether it is an ai, volunteer stewards in a league or even professional stewards in real life. I believe if there is an incident an equal penalty should be applied to all involved in said incident. Case by case there will be unfair outcomes but over time the clean drivers will be separated out from the rest. That is the ultimate goal of the penalty system I believe, matchmaking. The highest safety rating should be very difficult to achieve to promote safe, patient driving. Longer races also help calm people down.

I've been keeping an eye on who are ending up with penalties at Spa and it's mostly the same people over and over that get a neutral or red S. Statistically even this broken system is working. However the SR deductions are not enough, nor do the penalties trigger enough to get any useful separation through SR. Shared blame can work, using contacts averaged over time to determine SR will work as well. 100% correct penalties will never be reached, yet even at 60% right, give it some time and a meaningful SR system, and the races will be cleaner at SR.S. Reckless and dirty drivers have a lot more contacts than the clean and cautious.

Scrap the penalty system, instead keep track of how many contacts there are between cars. Sort everyone on contacts / time drive, there's your SR. In race still keep penalties to stop the blatant punts or use ghosting to prevent them.

How about making ghosting on all the time until they figure it out?

I might consider playing again if they did that :lol:

Social distancing in daily races :lol:

It would still be a mess with cars drafting inside each other, messing up cornering with dirty air or taking your view away by draft passing / braking through you. Better ghosting will help, the system in DR.D and SR.E is pretty good at preventing dirty punts and side swipes.

Social distancing in daily races :lol:

It would still be a mess with cars drafting inside each other, messing up cornering with dirty air or taking your view away by draft passing / braking through you. Better ghosting will help, the system in DR.D and SR.E is pretty good at preventing dirty punts and side swipes.
I’m currently D E rating due to the update. Was always BS sometimes going BA. I race clean, don’t use others as my brakes and try to let drivers back past if I collide with them.
I’m now racing with bad drivers mainly and it’s very hard to build my ratings back up. What is the point of the racing etiquette?

I've not had a single race where I havn't been bumped off this week by the self-entitled idiots. I expect a bit now and then, braking or going 2 wide around a corner. But repeated, unwarranted bumping down the Kemmel straight which leaves me in the wall, inevitably with a penalty, whilst they drive off into the distance is BS.

If you are faster, just go around. I'm not going to stop you over taking, just do it cleanly. Being stuck at the back, 20 seconds behind the guy in front of you isn't a good online experience.

Its a real shame. I love GTS, its basically the only reason I have a PS4. But the penalty system in its current state just isn't working. I know it must be difficult for PD to work the algorhythms out, and where to point blame. But its been much better (still not right) on previous updates.

I've given PCars2 a go this week (I know it has its faults too). Its not GTS, but the career is pretty good once you set the AI to a level where they are competitive. I've also taken advantage of F1 2019 on sale on the PS Store, hopefully giving that a proper spin this evening.

Voted No. It's not the penalty system that needs to be scrapped or revised, but the Safety Rating evaluation. If the sportsmanlike players were sorted from the unsportsmanlike players, then there wouldn't be as many complaints about the penalty system in the first place, at least that's what I feel. It's way too easy to obtain and keep SR S, and those who exploit the penalty system can get away with it unpunished, because one Race C later, they keep their SR S in check.

I reccomend keeping safe distance from others to rebuild sr.

Rebuilding SR isn't that hard, still too much SR to 'spend' in race C. However can you see this coming?

It's ridiculous this isn't ghosted in SR.S. Try that as DR.D or in SR.E and you fly right through without doing any harm.

Sure, I'm guilty of retaliation myself, but smart enough not to destroy myself and bystanders in the process :lol: (He quit of course) It took me the rest of the race to get back to where I was after serving that 5 seconds.

I can't give a better reason to get rid of this broken penalty system. It's only creating more problems! Every race it's bad 'overtake', penalty triggers, punt shortly after. Penalty zone in use, uh oh, someone's going off at the chicane.

Despite stuff like that happening every race, getting bumped off every race and getting a BS penalty in the majority of races, I still gained 1200 DR this morning and still at 99 SR. One penalty is still a blue S. It's a different style of racing, I spend more time looking in the rear view mirror than at the road ahead! I don't overtake anymore until I'm pretty sure I can boost away after. There are still people I trust to actually race against, but most it's wait until they (slightly) mess up, pounce and run.

Yep it’s ridiculous. In fact last night I only entered one. Quite fast room overall, anyways I was fourth coming into the chicane lap 2 and this joker comes flying in from four to five car lengths back and stuffs me.
I shared the full video.
I am with you, there might be some bs on c race but overall I’ve gained a lot on my dr bar.
With damage c race would be...

One thing I’m def game for. Removing all penalties in excess of say 1-2sec.

We all agree the current system is broken. The worst is when we get hit and are innocent, but served a 4-8sec penalty which effectively ends our race. Get rid of these absurd penalties that usually only get applied to the innocent.

At least if the max was 1sec it wouldn’t be race ending.

Last edited:
I just feel like they/PD have given up 100% on the game. And people aren't racing anymore. They are just going out there to see how many people they can take out. This is not what racing is about. After tonight's Manu race, I am really curious as to what PD has planned going forward. This surely cannot be the best they can do. If it is, lots of people will be heading for the exits.

Keith.

Kinda amazes me how more people prefer penalties over heavy damage.
You would think people might prefer a more realistic approach in sim racing to real racing.
I still think there is a balance that PD could reach that maybe more lobby racers would be onboard with. Keeping Penalties on for DR B and lower but once you reach DR A and above the contact penalties would be removed in favor of heavy damage in it's place.
All for it, but, damage does not magically self heal in real life, so, damage is for the duration of the race, or, repaired in the pits.
I also don't believe there should be any differential between Dr. rankings (neither damage/time received, nor type of system implemented)... now, if they want to put exponential damage to the lower Sr. car/driver, that would be fine in my book... AKA make it harder to gain/maintain Sr.

They need to make a version of iRacing's penalty system, because it's consistent. Also, it's beyond time to turn on heavy damage in the online modes. There needs to be a deterrent for bad driving.
Agree, iRacing places equal blame to both, uses full damage that can only be repaired in pits, and damage repair time is based on severity of damage.
iRacing will also blow your motor if you over-rev too much, both on accel, and during downshifts... bring it on.

I’m open to the idea of no penalties, but my conditions are full damage and a better working SR system to give actual meaning to S.
Another idea to help with ranking. Have quali be based on a total time over 2 laps. This will weed out the “lighting in a bottle” guys qualifying way above there actual race pace.
Cheers.

Yes. Along with adding light damage as a minimum in all races. Race C, and FIA stuff can have heavy damage.

Keep (maybe even increase) the track limit penalties, and remove everything else.

At the very least, give us the option to completely remove contact penalties in lobbies.

Simple question, Would you rather the Penalty System be just flat out be removed from the game at this point? PD can’t seem to get it right, so why bother even having it at all. The best racing we had was when it was turned off completely a few months back. Supposedly PD reads these forums, so if we can get enough votes, maybe they will actually make a change.

This is not a thread for complaining about the PS, we already have a thread for that. So let’s try to stay on topic here. Don’t forget to vote. :)
The way the penalty system is right now, absolutely. This system only punishes those of us who at least try to race clean and take the game a bit seriously while dirty players are being rewarded for the way they race.
Race C this week was my dream come true but I haven't touched the game since Thursday because of how pathetic racing has become mainly on account of the penalty system. Punt to pass has become the only way people use to make an overtake and no penalties at all.

I voted no as you said 'altogether' in the title. There has to some sort of deterrent to bad/dirty driving to remove them as options.

To me, it's a no brainer. Heavy damage forces people to look after their car as their race depends on it. Accidents will still happen but that's racing.

Also voted no. A penalty system that works some of the time must be better than not having one.

But why doesn't PD use all the player stats they collect to keep idiots from ruining our races (and their business?) E.g. if a player's SR points history looks like an EEG of an epileptic seizure why not make it harder for them to gain SR points?

I am not sure what the solution is, I got into GTS about a couple of months ago and I've had a good time racing for the most part, but this penalty system of people divebombing to the inside from way back and you getting the penalty from trying to take the turn correctly is killing it for me.

Most of the time they just come from way back there is no room, and because they hit the inside rear panel you get the penalty, even if you try to give someone room in the inside, they just come out and still bump you off the track and you get the penalty randomly, it's very frustrating and makes it hard to want to race online.

What annoys me as well is that people don't even consider it dirty anymore when they bump someone wide, then barge pass through the inside. I took one of them out after he did that a couple times and he goes: I hardly touched you cry baby etc. (It was funny to watch his punt attempt fail, ghosted right through me into the collection bin at the final chicane) Of course, no one got any penalties.

Anything better than this system. Penalties don't work when they should and trigger when they should not. The only thing the current system achieves is making the races more toxic.

And please, make it mandatory to do the first drivers license test again before entering the race. Too many people still can't accelerate off the line :lol:

Voted no because we still need it as a testing ground for the future of the series. I think a much watered down version of what we have now, coupled with an incident/contact scoring system like iRacing's would work well.

Voted yes. Y'all can't deny that the racing became overall much more respectful in 1.52 when the system was disabled and everyone settled down.

In a perfect world scenario? I'm 100% behind the penalty system being there. But the incarnation that has existed for the last ~6 months consistently creates more problems and driver frustration than it's worth.

Not sure what I expected, but a grand total of 109 votes at the time of writing is kind of on the low side if there is an expectation that PD/Sony will do anything at all.

If you punt, sideswipe, force another car off track, cut a corner, spin someone out or brake check, instant penalty for you. No excuses, no ifs, no buts. How hard can it be to make a penalty system that detects this? If you are on the receiving end of any collision, you shouldn't be punished. Simple as that. The current system is quite inconsistent and that's the problem.

Back