Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
Any racing setup is better than none but, how about slide the monitor over when you're racing?
I can only slide it over an inch or two because of the speaker and the PS4 (they can be seen more clearly in the first picture). It might help a little bit, but it wouldn’t be a huge difference. I suppose it’s a good idea though, I could give it a try. 👍

Before and after!

20190123_083205.jpg
20190123_083304.jpg
20190123_083341.jpg
20190124_094331.jpg
20190124_094340.jpg
20190124_094402.jpg
20190123_083205.jpg
20190123_083304.jpg
20190123_083341.jpg
20190124_094331.jpg
20190124_094340.jpg
20190124_094402.jpg

Oh goodness... I am so jealous of you people with Playseats and actual rigs... I have nor space nor money for those kind of things. I barely got my G29 because it got a deep deep discount!

Now, I have been playing with a rocking chair and a flimsy yard table but I am about to buy this and try it:
696811_17

I will let you know how it goes! From some YouTube videos, it looks very sturdy and you can remove the black plates to accomodate your feet.

Oh goodness... I am so jealous of you people with Playseats and actual rigs... I have nor space nor money for those kind of things. I barely got my G29 because it got a deep deep discount!

Now, I have been playing with a rocking chair and a flimsy yard table but I am about to buy this and try it:
696811_17

I will let you know how it goes! From some YouTube videos, it looks very sturdy and you can remove the black plates to accomodate your feet.
Do yourself a favour and save for something more substantial. I started off with one of those many years ago, but on the very first day my brand spanking new T500rs hit the deck due to the instability of the bench, and that's without removing any of it!! Luckily there was no damage to my new wheel, so the next day I started building my own rig, which I still use now.

If you really have no other option I would recommend turning the force feed back way down (something I didn't do :dunce:), and not totally removing the black supports but relocating one of them lower on the frame.

Do yourself a favour and save for something more substantial. I started off with one of those many years ago, but on the very first day my brand spanking new T500rs hit the deck due to the instability of the bench, and that's without removing any of it!! Luckily there was no damage to my new wheel, so the next day I started building my own rig, which I still use now.

If you really have no other option I would recommend turning the force feed back way down (something I didn't do :dunce:), and not totally removing the black supports but relocating one of them lower on the frame.
Thanks for the tip mate! I'll give it a second thought...

However, I have two main problems:
- Space: I need the setup to be retractable and store it when I'm not using
- Cost: Like I said, I already spent considerable money in the wheel

This work bench is retractable and is very cheap (around US$35). I believe that my other option would be a wheel stand, going over US$200 here in Chile.

My dream option is the Playseat Challenge but that's US$350 here, so yeah, no...... :(

This work bench is retractable and is very cheap (around US$35). I believe that my other option would be a wheel stand, going over US$200 here in Chile.

My dream option is the Playseat Challenge but that's US$350 here, so yeah, no...... :(

You can definitely build a decent wheel stand for little money, One sheet of plywood or a few 2x4’s, it doesn’t have to be fancy, just functional. Especially if you skip the attached seat, just a stand for the wheel and a spot under it for the pedals, that cuts the footprint in half right away. I built mine out of one sheet of MDF($40) and a used Honda seat($20) and put it on small caster wheels so it’s can be easily rolled out of the way when not in use. :)

Can you look for something second hand? Or as @Pigems mentioned build something portable yourself? My set-up isn't portable at all but I built both the actual wheel/seat frame and the TV/Playstation 3&4/Buttkicker Amp/Speakers/Beer holder unit myself for about 50 AUD (not counting electronics... and all the timber and steel I had laying around). The aluminum checker plate was the most expensive part.

Anyway, good luck with which ever option you decide to go with :cheers:.

You can definitely build a decent wheel stand for little money, One sheet of plywood or a few 2x4’s, it doesn’t have to be fancy, just functional. Especially if you skip the attached seat, just a stand for the wheel and a spot under it for the pedals, that cuts the footprint in half right away. I built mine out of one sheet of MDF($40) and a used Honda seat($20) and put it on small caster wheels so it’s can be easily rolled out of the way when not in use. :)
Yeah, I definively can do something like that for little money. However I have doubts on how stable would it be and the retractability would be an issue too. Do you, by any chance, have any blueprints or instructions for a good DIY stand?

Can you look for something second hand? Or as @Pigems mentioned build something portable yourself? My set-up isn't portable at all but I built both the actual wheel/seat frame and the TV/Playstation 3&4/Buttkicker Amp/Speakers/Beer holder unit myself for about 50 AUD (not counting electronics... and all the timber and steel I had laying around). The aluminum checker plate was the most expensive part.

Anyway, good luck with which ever option you decide to go with :cheers:.
Second hand market is extremely limited here in Chile. I have been looking at the same four or five ads for three months now. None of them suit any of my needs. That's why I'm looking for alternatives... Thanks for the good wishes! :cheers:

Yeah, I definively can do something like that for little money. However I have doubts on how stable would it be and the retractability would be an issue too. Do you, by any chance, have any blueprints or instructions for a good DIY stand?

Second hand market is extremely limited here in Chile. I have been looking at the same four or five ads for three months now. None of them suit any of my needs. That's why I'm looking for alternatives... Thanks for the good wishes! :cheers:

I started my project with these two pictures I found on the internet, this was my original plan on what I was gonna build.
2371A623-C96E-455C-91B5-6435A078E5A0.jpeg
4678E9EC-79B5-4999-905C-C78DA761465C.jpeg

Then I found this picture and decided to add the seat into the mix.
4DFBB5D9-0A94-4EDE-B1C9-1780977349D2.jpeg

After that I found some info on specs and wheel/pedal/seat positioning on the internet, this took some digging and it’s gonna be different for each person. I can’t remember off the top of my head what all the specs were but I’ll have a look and see if I can find my plans. I’ve got over 200 hours use out of mine so far and stability is definently not and issue at all. This is what I ended up with in the end. :)

Edit: if you enlarge this first picture there are measurements still written on the side panel for size reference.
DB5D7775-D4BB-443D-A3F4-2BD31E5835B3.jpeg
B391A172-4330-4DA0-9986-648D397A3A15.jpeg
F318E912-A88C-47A5-A917-0CC90B675F75.jpeg

I didn’t originally plan to add the monitor but I remembered after building the rig that I had it in my storage room and it worked out perfectly. :)
DE4BE48B-083D-4EBC-A913-72B34D31E85F.jpeg

Last edited:
I started my project with these two pictures I found on the internet, this was my original plan on what I was gonna build.
View attachment 795095 View attachment 795096

Then I found this picture and decided to add the seat into the mix.
View attachment 795097

After that I found some info on specs and wheel/pedal/seat positioning on the internet, this took some digging and it’s gonna be different for each person. I can’t remember off the top of my head what all the specs were but I’ll have a look and see if I can find my plans. I’ve got over 200 hours use out of mine so far and stability is definently not and issue at all. This is what I ended up with in the end. :)

Edit: if you enlarge this first picture there are measurements still written on the side panel for size reference.
View attachment 795099 View attachment 795100 View attachment 795101

I didn’t originally plan to add the monitor but I remembered after building the rig that I had it in my storage room and it worked out perfectly. :)
View attachment 795102
I did see pictures of that DIY-stand around. It is a very sleek and nice design. Yours is even better! Sadly, that design is not at all functional for me. Mine NEEDS to be collapsible or retractable. There is no way around that.

I did see pictures of that DIY-stand around. It is a very sleek and nice design. Yours is even better! Sadly, that design is not at all functional for me. Mine NEEDS to be collapsible or retractable. There is no way around that.

I came across a few collapsible designs while searching for ideas, there are definitely some good ones out there. Hopefully you’re able to find one that works for your needs. :)

Handling-wise it's the same (for me, at least - the GF likes to race as if she's driving in everyday traffic with hands crossing over at sharp turns, so she is not too happy about having to learn not to take your hands off. hah). Cutting it, with a jigsaw, and sewing/gluing back the leather (crudely) was no problem. Nothing beats cockpit view, and I love using the car-specific gauges and turning off the generic one.
I always thought Forza's wheel-off view option is king, but now I actually prefer seeing the crown of the actual wheel behind mine in both games. Even more immersive and interesting. And with GTS's height and distance option for cockpit view you can get every car in near perfect alignment...

bild.jpg

696811_17

I put together my setup for about $20 US. When I’m done it folds up and gets stored in the laundry room. Only takes a couple minutes to put up or take down.

Attachments

• 5F37E408-71C9-4BD3-8911-8F6BCBD3E3B7.jpeg
    5F37E408-71C9-4BD3-8911-8F6BCBD3E3B7.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 6B5986F5-7677-48B0-AA70-CB46A20B9CCA.jpeg
    6B5986F5-7677-48B0-AA70-CB46A20B9CCA.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 47
Moved into a new house and I've got my own room, for the first time ever! That means, half bedroom, half sim racing man cave.
IMG_3505.JPG

26" RCA
Playstation 4
Playseat Challenge
Thrustmaster T150
Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
Thrustmaster T3PA Wide Pedal Set

Going to replace the TV, which is really old, with a new 32" Phillips.

Edit: This post is outdated. See post 692 for how it's going comparison.

Last edited:
IMAG0287.jpg

Here's my rig. Perfect for my couch. I use an Extreme Simracing wheel stand SXT, CSL elite and V3 pedals. Since this pic was taken, I've installed pedal extensions, thicker throttle spring, and performance kit for brakes (I tried many combos, and ended up two 013 Red springs). This rig came with a cup holder, so I can literally drink and drive.

I have a 65" Sony 930E 4k TV and an awesome surround sound system. I couldn't be happier with my setup.

Last edited:
I’ve made some changes over the last few months...

Samsung 49” Q6 TV (FOV is spot on for GT)
Looks fantastic. Love the Ikea swing chair, and the ultra close seating. Most people sit way too far away from their (mostly too tiny) screen.
How far are your eyes away from the screen?
I have 49er too, and my eyes are 45 inches away. Somewhere around 35-40 should be perfect, tho.)

From everything I found, the correct distance is 25-26”. I’m right there.

1 trick is on some TV’s you can turn off fit to screen and it’ll zoom a little more, which allows you to push the TV back.

My Samsung and my previous gave me this option when the system was set to 4k output.

From everything I found, the correct distance is 25-26”. I’m right there.

1 trick is on some TV’s you can turn off fit to screen and it’ll zoom a little more, which allows you to push the TV back.

My Samsung and my previous gave me this option when the system was set to 4k output.

The information that I found said that the distance from your eyes to the TV for correct FOV depends on the size of the TV screen. I have a 65" and for correct FOV I should be about 46" away at my eyeballs. Instead of sitting 10 feet away I now sit at about 52" away and it made a huge difference for hitting apexes and such.

Back