Show us your Gran Turismo racing set-up

• Thread starter Famine
  • 817 comments
So I bought a G29 back in August..... of 2018! and despite getting it out to mess around with two or three times I must say that when it's left in the box it really does make a great little coffee table sitting next to the couch. Outstanding height to surface area load bearing capacity, but I've always thought I could be doing more with it.
I stepped out from work to get lunch recently and on the way back noticed a pile of hard rubish sitting out the front of a house with three nice looking office chairs in there and thought "they'd be handy out the back of the factory where all we dirty smokers go for a butt" so I told one of my guys coming through in a truck to pick them up and all seemed well until I sat in the third chair. Soon as my bum hit the seat I had a Goldilocks moment and thought "the third chair was juuust right!"
So a quick fossick through the scrap bin and a bit of screwing around and suddenly I'm looking at this

then after a quick trip (and the promise of a reacharound) to the very awesome folk at Doogood Enterprises who I can't recommend highly enough for all your powder coating and metal finishing needs in the south east of Melbourne, I've got this sitting at home

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my console has been crapping out for about six months now and won't do two races back to back without freezing up, so thankyou Black Friday sales for the new PS4Pro that cost the same as a regular PS4!
Retreated into my cave with the loot and all of a sudden it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Weighing in at 13kg and with a powdercoated seamless and round inch tube base it glides around on the carpet so it's easy to push into the corner when not in use, and I stayed true to my main goal of spending zero dollars.
Probably shouldn't have taken me 16 months to get around to though lol.

Big edit: just got home from the Boxing Day sales and only four more sleeps until I'm looking at 65 inches of OLED goodness. Can't wait to experience the game in all its 4k glory for the first time.

Last edited:
@splitwindow
Man when you screw around, you don't joke around...

... I would say your zero dollars project looks to be way better than those who spent upward of $300.

That's some good beer you got down there...

Cheers mate!

I should be putting my setup back up real soon (after Christmas).

Edit: just like you, we both need to find a way to put the gear lever... I suppose you haven't bought that yet...

@splitwindow
Man when you screw around, you don't joke around...

... I would say your zero dollars project looks to be way better than those who spent upward of $300.

That's some good beer you got down there...

Cheers mate!

I should be putting my setup back up real soon (after Christmas).

Edit: just like you, we both need to find a way to put the gear lever... I suppose you haven't bought that yet...
Thanks mate, under the seat base there's a 3 screw mounting piont on both sides where the arm rests were bolted and it's in the perfect spot and position for a shifter bracket to hang off if I ever get one.

13 years between those two pictures.
From Driving Force Pro Wheel sticked to my mums ironing board, to an illuminated RSeat S1 with CSL-Elite Wheel and Clubport V3 Pedals. :)👍

bügel.png

IMG_5600.jpeg

So I bought a G29 back in August..... of 2018! and despite getting it out to mess around with two or three times I must say that when it's left in the box it really does make a great little coffee table sitting next to the couch. Outstanding height to surface area load bearing capacity, but I've always thought I could be doing more with it.
I stepped out from work to get lunch recently and on the way back noticed a pile of hard rubish sitting out the front of a house with three nice looking office chairs in there and thought "they'd be handy out the back of the factory where all we dirty smokers go for a butt" so I told one of my guys coming through in a truck to pick them up and all seemed well until I sat in the third chair. Soon as my bum hit the seat I had a Goldilocks moment and thought "the third chair was juuust right!"
So a quick fossick through the scrap bin and a bit of screwing around and suddenly I'm looking at this

then after a quick trip (and the promise of a reacharound) to the very awesome folk at Doogood Enterprises who I can't recommend highly enough for all your powder coating and metal finishing needs in the south east of Melbourne, I've got this sitting at home

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my console has been crapping out for about six months now and won't do two races back to back without freezing up, so thankyou Black Friday sales for the new PS4Pro that cost the same as a regular PS4!
Retreated into my cave with the loot and all of a sudden it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Weighing in at 13kg and with a powdercoated seamless and round inch tube base it glides around on the carpet so it's easy to push into the corner when not in use, and I stayed true to my main goal of spending zero dollars.
Probably shouldn't have taken me 16 months to get around to though lol.

Nice job, I built my own rig too but I can not say it was free, I used 1" x .065 4130, some 3/4" 4130 and 1/2" 4130 tubing but I had it all on the shelf. It broke my heart a little that all I had was 4130 but I seldom use regular mild tubing anymore. I like the hanging welder, I often thought about doing something like that so they are not in the way and I'm not tripping on cables all the time.

Nice job, I built my own rig too but I can not say it was free, I used 1" x .065 4130, some 3/4" 4130 and 1/2" 4130 tubing but I had it all on the shelf. It broke my heart a little that all I had was 4130 but I seldom use regular mild tubing anymore. I like the hanging welder, I often thought about doing something like that so they are not in the way and I'm not tripping on cables all the time.
Thanks mate, I set the positions up based off waving a tape measure around my daily driver and it's pretty comfortable but then I saw your post on page 9 and although I've got a decent bend in my elbows I'm now thinking a slight tweak to bring the wheel just an inch or two closer to me might be in order. Been a looong time since I sat in a kart but I see exactly what you're saying.
My MIG wire feeder hangs off a swinging boom that's about 12 foot long and slides along an overhead track that runs the length of the boom, so with a 12 foot lead it covers a 180 degree arc with a radius of about 20 foot.
Works a treat, I could send you a pic in a couple of weeks just to give you an idea if you'd like.

Thanks mate, I set the positions up based off waving a tape measure around my daily driver and it's pretty comfortable but then I saw your post on page 9 and although I've got a decent bend in my elbows I'm now thinking a slight tweak to bring the wheel just an inch or two closer to me might be in order. Been a looong time since I sat in a kart but I see exactly what you're saying.
My MIG wire feeder hangs off a swinging boom that's about 12 foot long and slides along an overhead track that runs the length of the boom, so with a 12 foot lead it covers a 180 degree arc with a radius of about 20 foot.
Works a treat, I could send you a pic in a couple of weeks just to give you an idea if you'd like.

Absolutely, that would be great!!

My girlfriend got me the Omega RS6 for Christmas, with the back-rest to attach to my stand. I've not had a chance to set-it up yet (only been up since 2am..!), but when I googled it to see what it looks like, I was blown away. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Screenshot_20191225-152500_Gallery.jpg

The buttkicker is amazing for GTSport, I have been using one for a couple years and and it just add's to the realism.
It shakes your seat when for example when you drive on the curbs or hit a hole. Also gives you feedback when changing gears, lose traction etc. Search for simhub and bass shaker on YouTube.
Much to my surprise, and I mean TOTAL surprise, the wife got me a PS4Pro and and a Buttkicker Gamer for Christmas. I opened them both and sat there stunned. Sooooo now i'm running the Optical out on the PS4Pro to an optical to analog converter and into the Buttkicker. Are there any in-game or PS4 tweaks you had to make to maximize the experience for GTSport?

Much to my surprise, and I mean TOTAL surprise, the wife got me a PS4Pro and and a Buttkicker Gamer for Christmas. I opened them both and sat there stunned. Sooooo now i'm running the Optical out on the PS4Pro to an optical to analog converter and into the Buttkicker. Are there any in-game or PS4 tweaks you had to make to maximize the experience for GTSport?

Your wife is Mistress material :cheers: :D 👍

Haha! She has a twisted sense of humor and she says the same.

I just realized what I wrote could have been misinterpreted negatively.

She is a keeper is what I intended to say...

What I meant is you should cheat on your wife (GTS) ... With your own wife (your real one)... ;)

Man I feel like I am digging myself a hole here...

What I really mean is I hope you are treating her well the same way...

Ok I need to stop, I am 10feet down already

Dang it ! Just enjoy "the game" :P

Edit:. I am just jealous, is what it is...

Last edited:
That's awesome. You must have been a good boy this year. 👍

"Hey what did you get for Christmas?"
"My wife got me a Buttkicker"

GT Player reaction: :drool:
Non GT playing people: :boggled:

rsz_20191226_224946.png

Had some time today to assemble my GT Omega seat onto my Classic wheel stand. I decided to remove the wheel, pedals and shifter to neaten up the wiring and I'm glad I did, because it made me look more closely at my set-up.

I hadn't realised when I hurriedly assembled the stand way back in August 2018 that the G29 pedals didn't require the additional rear rest bar, so I had held them in place at an off-angle with one screw. So now it is correctly positioned with all 3 butterfly nuts and much, much more appealing to use. I also totally adjusted the height and tilt of the wheel platform and then found my ideal seat position, to mimic the way I drive a real car and what a difference in feel.

Where the wheel has often felt a little bit aloof in the hand and slightly disjointed, it now feels like a whole. Totally transformed and something I shall endeavour to use a lot more now it is permanent place in the games room. Only thing I need to do is order GTO's Shifter Plate V2, as V1 slots in right where the seat frame goes.

Last edited:
This may not be the proper place for this post, but I wanted to start here since this was the subject at hand from a few days back.
Buttkicker lessons learned:

Took me about two hours to get it dialed in. Still trying to find a happy medium. This is not exhaustive, these are my thoughts after only a few days of usage with GT Sport exclusively. I have the Buttkicker Gamer, not the Gamer 2. From what I understand the Gamer 2 is less prone to overheating.
  1. Turn down the Engine sounds. The higher this is, the more tactile feedback you get, but at the expense of overheating and also it appears to drown out other sensations.
  2. Turn down the Engine sounds for other cars also. If you don’t, when you're in a pack of other cars, it causes the amp to clip which over time can lead to overheating. Sounds and feels amazing though. Learned that lesson last night.
  3. Turn up the road noises. It enhances the tactile feedback.
  4. Disable all of the menu music, and race music.
  5. Try to turn it off while watching any kind of extended replays. It comes with a remote which makes this convenient.
  6. Group 4 and Road cars appear to provide more feedback with it.
  7. With Group 2 cars you can feel more of the curbing. Haven't done anything with Group 1 cars.
  8. You become accustomed to it really fast. I had it overheat last night and when it shut off, I crashed the car as it felt like the car died. lol! Luckily I wasn't doing anything in Sport Mode at the time. This was after well over an hour of continuous usage.
  9. Any imperfections in your rig WILL be identified. On my rig, one of the arms on my GT Omega wheel deck is a little less solid than the other and as the buttkicker vibrates at certain frequencies that one arm buzzes like crazy, almost to the point of being annoying. Haven't yet found a way around this.
  10. Because the entire rig now vibrates it actually enhances the sounds of the cars. Very pleasant surprise. I'm not using headphones at the moment.
  11. Vintage American Muscle Cars are awesome with it, as is the GR.4 Veyron.

FYI
https://www.autoguide.com/top-5-racing-simulator-cockpits
This may not be the proper place for this post, but I wanted to start here since this was the subject at hand from a few days back.
Buttkicker lessons learned:

Took me about two hours to get it dialed in. Still trying to find a happy medium. This is not exhaustive, these are my thoughts after only a few days of usage with GT Sport exclusively. I have the Buttkicker Gamer, not the Gamer 2. From what I understand the Gamer 2 is less prone to overheating.
  1. Turn down the Engine sounds. The higher this is, the more tactile feedback you get, but at the expense of overheating and also it appears to drown out other sensations.
  2. Turn down the Engine sounds for other cars also. If you don’t, when you're in a pack of other cars, it causes the amp to clip which over time can lead to overheating. Sounds and feels amazing though. Learned that lesson last night.
  3. Turn up the road noises. It enhances the tactile feedback.
  4. Disable all of the menu music, and race music.
  5. Try to turn it off while watching any kind of extended replays. It comes with a remote which makes this convenient.
  6. Group 4 and Road cars appear to provide more feedback with it.
  7. With Group 2 cars you can feel more of the curbing. Haven't done anything with Group 1 cars.
  8. You become accustomed to it really fast. I had it overheat last night and when it shut off, I crashed the car as it felt like the car died. lol! Luckily I wasn't doing anything in Sport Mode at the time. This was after well over an hour of continuous usage.
  9. Any imperfections in your rig WILL be identified. On my rig, one of the arms on my GT Omega wheel deck is a little less solid than the other and as the buttkicker vibrates at certain frequencies that one arm buzzes like crazy, almost to the point of being annoying. Haven't yet found a way around this.
  10. Because the entire rig now vibrates it actually enhances the sounds of the cars. Very pleasant surprise. I'm not using headphones at the moment.
  11. Vintage American Muscle Cars are awesome with it, as is the GR.4 Veyron.
'''

Thank you Bishop !

Those are valuable observations !!

This setup looks strangely familar. 👍

Its almost just like mine.:cheers:

Hate to break it to you but thats not a sim you're playing there.

But seriously, do you have anything to stop the wheel moving back and foward in your setup?
Haha I made that on purpose. Tbh I don't mind the moving. It kind of protect my wheel. My t300 went out of balance because it was solid mouthed. It was ugly when the wheel was calibrating.

07059EF8-3031-459B-98AC-E6050DC1856F.jpeg
B4369A84-0BA0-4679-B5C3-A39AC875ACCE.jpeg
BF7CC7E3-2601-4829-8337-FA563EFD229E.jpeg
7844BC45-A4CA-4431-B323-3DF67BB9FEDA.jpeg
After 30 years with a pad I finally took the plunge a couple of months ago and it’s absolutely transformed my gaming experience more than I ever thought it would, the Playseat Challenge is a great setup too but I’m already thinking about upgrading, I’ve seen the Evolution and Revolution but that bar in between the legs looks off putting so if anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it

Latest Posts

Back