Shuffle Race Mode For User-Created Lobbies Please

• Thread starter VBR
  • 68 comments

Would you like a Shuffle Race mode in GT Sport's public & private lobbies?

• Total voters

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
Shuffle Race Mode For User Created Lobbies In GT Sport

giphy.gif

For those of you who don't know what Shuffle Race mode was in GT5, simply put the game randomly chose a car which it loaned you for the race (more info). All you had to do was join a Shuffle lobby & click "Go To Track", simples. It made racing in online lobbies fast & hassle free as you didn't have to spend ages in your garage finding a car, or tuning it either (all races were Tuning Prohibited with Reverse Grids). Couple that with the fact that most lobbies ran sprint races, & it became the crack cocaine of online racing with races happening every few minutes. After many years of hosting & racing in online Shuffle rooms in GT5, here's what I'd like to see in implemented in GT Sport.​

How Shuffle Could Work In GT Sport

To increase the number of available cars, PD could create duplicates of every car, each with a different power set up. There are 4 levels of power upgrades, so including the factory setting & the detuned setting, that makes up to 6 versions of each car possible. Also, the Shuffle Base could be based on a power to weight ratio system rather than on the N Class or Performance Points system.

GT Sport Shuffle Mode Ideas 💡

Hosts can set the room to Road Cars, Race Cars, or Mixed Cars. *

Hosts have the option to enable or disable every single available track via a tick box.

Hosts have the option to enable or disable every single available car class via a tick box. *

Hosts have the option to shuffle both tracks or car classes, & either or neither via a tickbox.

Hosts have the option to enable or disable every single available car in each class via a tick box.

Hosts have the option to enable a one-make race, & then the game chooses a car at random from the selected class.

Room participants can vote for track &/or car class depending on what Shuffle options have been chosen by the host.

Quitters from the previous race start from the very back of the grid, even when the room is set to Reverse Grid.

Racers new to the room will start from the back of the grid for their first race, but in front of any quitters.

You don't need to own any of the cars for Shuffle racing, as the Shuffle Mode provides them all.

All Shuffle Mode races are Tuning Prohibited, just like they were in Gran Turismo 5.

Filters for Race, Road, & Mixed are available when searching for lobbies. *

Tyres are fixed like in GT5, Shuffle is not for the Racing Soft Brigade!

Question: How popular was Shuffle racing in GT5?

Answer: follow this link to find out.

Because hosts in GT5 named their rooms either "Clean Shuffle", "Shuffle" or "Dirty Shuffle", the races were very clean in the Clean Shuffle rooms as a result because most of the dirty drivers chose to drive in the dirty rooms instead (if only the same Clean/Dirty principle was applied to Sport Mode). See video of a typical clean public lobby below.

A Clean Shuffle Race

Other threads about Shuffle racing

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/shuffle-mode-from-gt5.374991/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...automatic-car-group-and-track-shuffle.372712/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/everyday-im-shuffling.372299/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-gran-turismo-sport-have-online-shuffle-mode.360363/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dear-kaz-shuffle-racing.312728/

:cheers:

Last edited:
My lobby would be: Road Cars; everyone votes for a track, & then the winner from the last race chooses a class between 200 to 600 (no XBOW).

All reverse grid of course, & with sprint races that are 10 minutes or under.

:D :bowdown::cheers: :cool: :dopey: :drool: 💡 :lol: :) 👍 :gtpflag:

Last edited:
I've never experienced Shuffle Racing before, so this will be something fresh and new to my Online experience.

I would also like to have Daily Shuffle Races (marked as either Race D or Race S) featuring certain classes with enforced BoP for Race Car classes and no tuning for all classes. That way, they need to test their luck in getting the META car for that track and convince people to try something new. Your car that you use to do Qualifying laps will be different to what will you use during races! Cars will be provided by the game, much like Race A and some of the very early Daily Races.

I've never experienced Shuffle Racing before, so this will be something fresh and new to my Online experience.

I just added a video to the OP, check it out to see what all the fuss is about.

I would also like to have Daily Shuffle Races (marked as either Race D or Race S) featuring certain classes with enforced BoP for Race Car classes and no tuning for all classes. That way, they need to test their luck in getting the META car for that track and convince people to try something new. Your car that you use to do Qualifying laps will be different to what will you use during races! Cars will be provided by the game, much like Race A and some of the very early Daily Races.

That's a great idea, I didn't even consider that. Would stop most people from using the same car.

👍

Shuffle racing - peak Gran Turismo.

I was recently watching a Shuffle race with you & me on The Nord 24hr, it had a great day to night transition over 10 minutes, & we had an epic bumper to bumper battle for much of it. I saved about 407 replays of online racing in GT5, & had forgot most of them (including the one I just mentioned). Might be getting a gaming PC soon, if so I will capture & upload some of the best.

:D

it was great in gt5
I don't think it is good idea for sport mode but for lobbies it will be fantastic feature for funny racing with friends

Shuffle was awesome in GT5. Never understood why it was taken off from GT6. In GT Sport though, it wouldn't be as good simply because there is less road cars variety, and they are more spread out in terms of lap times. I did test all road cars from GT6 and GTS, in the former you can find groups of 10+ cars within a second or less. GTS, you may find 2 or 3 if you're lucky. Shuffle could kinda work in Gr.3, Gr.4 and Gr.B but it wouldn't really be the same stuff.

Never played GT5 online, or GT6 for that matter, but now I regret it!

Shuffle racing sounds awesome, would be a great addition to lobby racing, and really doesn't seem like it should be that hard to implement.

A yes vote from here for sure! :cheers:

Shuffle racing for me was a mixed bag back in GT5. The game would always give me the RS6 wagon. That thing was a pig. Not to mention the track was always the Nurburgring. That car and that track together equated to disaster. I got my GT5 online kicks with 600pp racing cars at Tokyo R246 instead.

For GT Sport, there could be shuffle races for Gr.4. The variety in that class would keep things interesting, I think the best class for it right now is either N300 or N200. Maybe with the rise of K-Cars we could see N50 with the VW bus and Fiat 500.

@VBR Also you forgot no Toyota SF-R. Screw that thing. Why a little pocket GT4 car is road-legal in PD’s eyes is beyond me.

@VBR Also you forgot no Toyota SF-R. Screw that thing. Why a little pocket GT4 car is road-legal in PD’s eyes is beyond me.

Actually I didn't...
VBR
Hosts have the option to enable or disable every single available car in each class via a tick box.

The idea of that option is so that hosts can disable cars that are too powerful in class like the X-bow etc.

👍

VBR
I was recently watching a Shuffle race with you & me on The Nord 24hr, it had a great day to night transition over 10 minutes, & we had an epic bumper to bumper battle for much of it. I saved about 407 replays of online racing in GT5, & had forgot most of them (including the one I just mentioned). Might be getting a gaming PC soon, if so I will capture & upload some of the best.

Still waiting for that upload mate :D

VBR
For those of you who don't know what Shuffle Race mode was in GT5, simply put the game randomly chose a car which it loaned you for the race (see gif). All you had to do was join a Shuffle lobby & click "Go To Track", simples.

I fail to see the point. So you get randomly an OP or a crappy car and randomly end up on a track and that makes you happy?
Where is the part where you learn to drive a specific vehicle for a specific track ?I mean it's fine for mario kart but for gran turismo...

VBR
It made racing in online lobbies fast & hassle free as you didn't have to spend ages in your garage finding a car, or tuning it either (all races were Tuning Prohibited).
Race A is always pretty much hassle free according to your definition.

In other sport races, or in lobbies you can not tune your car anyways because of BoP...
And mh...if you spend ages to find a car in your garage maybe you should just... I don't know, pick a car randomly since you like it random ?

It would kill Sport Mode.
Seems to me this would not kill sport mode. Sport mode and BoP killed shuffle mode.

The only problem of sport mode is the lack of variety in cars and tracks (it could be fixed very easily), and the poor penalty system (not sure about how hard it is to fix)

I fail to see the point. So you get randomly an OP or a crappy car and randomly end up on a track and that makes you happy?
Where is the part where you learn to drive a specific vehicle for a specific track ?I mean it's fine for mario kart but for gran turismo...

There was a quality about Shuffle Racing that allowed a driver's adaptability to shine. Anyone can spend hours honing a car to perfect their lap time, but it's much more fun to hop into a car and be forced to quickly adapt to it's weight, grip, acceleration and braking over a short sprint... only to do it again.

Shuffle racing worked on the principle that, when you were first starting off in the lobby, it gave you a middle-of-the-road performance car. As you raced in the lobby, you would get a faster or slower car depending on your results each race (worst finishers got faster cars, better finishes got slower) and thus it naturally brought the field closer together the longer everyone kept racing.

In this case, cars like the S-FR RC and KTM X-Bow would be given to drivers who repeatedly have terrible results. If they manage to win because they were sandbagging, then they'd just be given a slower car the next race and everything is back to normal.

Race A is always pretty much hassle free according to your definition.

In other sport races, or in lobbies you can not tune your car anyways because of BoP...
And mh...if you spend ages to find a car in your garage maybe you should just... I don't know, pick a car randomly since you like it random?

Race A is one of my favorite Daily Races, usually, but it suffers from showcasing the disparity between drivers who practice regularly vs those who do not, or simply cannot adapt to lower grip racing. This spreads the races out. On top of that, the Daily Races nature is incompatible with Shuffle Racing, since the conclusion of one race does not lead into the start of the next (as the lobby gets emptied).

And simply picking one of your cars randomly might seem all well and good until you race against the rest of the lobby who has gone out of their way to select a car they've either got thousands of laps logged on, or is a known OP car.

The car you got reflected how successful you had been in that lobby.
The more success, the more handicapped you became, car wise. People who were doing not so well got designated superior cars.
The performance spread of the car pool could be adjusted by the host.

It was a car-selection based BoP system for the drivers and it worked brilliantly.

Last edited:
Still waiting for that upload mate :D

HA-ha! Yeah, I finally got some PC parts off a mate a few weeks ago, been a long time coming. I need to sit down & actually build the thing now, but I can't be bothered...

:lol:

Last edited:
VBR
HA-ha! Yeah, I finally got some PC parts off a mate a few eeks ago, been a long time coming. I need to sit down & actually build the thing now, but I can't be bothered...

:lol:
No worries, I just thought it might be fun with a trip down memory lane.

No worries, I just thought it might be fun with a trip down memory lane.

I was watching some Shuffle & Spec races yesterday in GT5 actually, & it certainly got me all nostalgic for that kind of racing again.

The car you got reflected how successful you had been in that lobby.
The more success, the more handicapped you became, car wise. People who were doing not so well got designated superior cars.
The performance spread of the car pool could be adjusted by the host.

It was a car selection based BoP system and it worked brilliantly.
I still remember going on a tear where I won multiple races with progressively slower cars against decent drivers. By the fourth of fifth victory I was given an absolute turtle and the rest of the field were equipped with Vipers. Wicked fun.

I still remember going on a tear where I won multiple races with progressively slower cars against decent drivers. By the fourth of fifth victory I was given an absolute turtle and the rest of the field were equipped with Vipers. Wicked fun.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Shuffle racing was peak Gran Turismo.

Largely due to the fact that the concept tended to attract players that were looking for a good time rather than die-hard competition.

Last edited:
It's a shame I couldn't have experienced this by myself, as I was only 9 when GT5 came out and I didn't know how to play online, or even how to create an account. But it looks fun and a lot of people that experienced are praising it, so I would definitely like this feature to be in GTS.

It's a shame I couldn't have experienced this by myself, as I was only 9 when GT5 came out and I didn't know how to play online, or even how to create an account. But it looks fun and a lot of people that experienced are praising it, so I would definitely like this feature to be in GTS.
Geesh, I was 8 when GT2 came out...

Shuffle was great bring it back please.

Seems to be a little bit of politics and control going on with PD though so I doubt they will bring it back.

Back