Sierra challenge Nismo GT-R

• Thread starter croozer_63
  • 108 comments
From the start, use 3/4 throttle until the 1st checkpoint - there should be 10 or 11 seconds left as you cross the checkpoint. Then go flat out. It seems to slow some of the AI cars, some of them bunch up, others appear earlier than before.

Just did 67 overtakes, 2,577,940 points by doing this

From the start, use 3/4 throttle until the 1st checkpoint - there should be 10 or 11 seconds left as you cross the checkpoint. Then go flat out. It seems to slow some of the AI cars, some of them bunch up, others appear earlier than before.

Thanks jimipitbul I will try this tomorrow.

Trust me, you want to drive flat out. More points are gained by crossing the line with lots of time left thanks to the multipliers than you will gain from the extra overtakes.

Trust me, you want to drive flat out. More points are gained by crossing the line with lots of time left thanks to the multipliers than you will gain from the extra overtakes.

The 3 seconds I sacrificed in the first sector (3 x 10,000 pts) gave me 5 extra overtakes (5 x 5,000 + 5 x 2,000 + 0.5 added to combo multiplier)

Also, every overtake adds 1 second to the clock.

I've been pretty consistent going flat out from the start and getting 60-61 overtakes so I'm going to give @jimipitbull 's advice a try and see what happens. After all, its the first useful bit of information that's came from him in while. :lol:
What's the matter Jimi, give up on the comedy shtick have you? :lol: Its so unlike you to not spew one of your one liners in an attempt at humor. :odd: :lol: jk.

Thanks JimiPitBull,👍👍 this sounds plausible and a method of attack that might be something the programmers would design :mischievous: knowing full well the majority of we GT fans will mash the go pedal and go flat out from the get go :dunce:.
When we think about it,, holding back at the start and until we've gone past the GT-350 will put each of the (six I think) cars we approach prior to catching the GT-350 and those following in different locations on the track than when we charge as hard as we can from the start. Can hardly wait to give this approach a try!! :cheers:

Thanks JimiPitBull,👍👍 this sounds plausible and a method of attack that might be something the programmers would design :mischievous: knowing full well the majority of we GT fans will mash the go pedal and go flat out from the get go :dunce:.
When we think about it,, holding back at the start and until we've gone past the GT-350 will put each of the (six I think) cars we approach prior to catching the GT-350 and those following in different locations on the track than when we charge as hard as we can from the start. Can hardly wait to give this approach a try!! :cheers:

When I did my best run, I just went for it from the get go. I restricted myself to only using the NOS on long straights briefly and out of the slow turns.

So while this method does sound plausible, an all out drive can also get equal or better results.

Managed to jump the Miura.

Circuito de la Sierra - Time Rally_4.jpg

Just clipped it on landing, but it registered as a clean overtake
Circuito de la Sierra - Time Rally_5.jpg

Managed to jump the Miura.

View attachment 264789

Just clipped it on landing, but it registered as a clean overtake
View attachment 264782

Hey . . . an overtake is an overtake . . . in this case literally over.

The Rabbits in this Rabbithole are quantum rabbits.
You can gauge their position but not their velocity.
If you know the velocity, well then, they are not going to be where they should be.
Tricky.
I'm looking for anyone here who has gone real deep into this Rabbithole and captured the most distant rabbit. A photo would be great.

Edit: Quantum Rabbit Hunter found. Thanks. (You know who you are. ;) ) 👍

Last edited:
After trying every day for over a week I finally got gold.👍. Didn't take the advice from @jimipitbull and went WOT from the beginning. I don't remember the last car I passed but I finished looking at the yellow LFA's taillights, I would've passed it but I didn't wanted to risk my "perfect" run.
One time I had a perfect run until the last time-check before the finish line and out of nowhere the blue skyline with yellow rims rear-ended me and I lost my combo and my concentration and couldn't even finish:mad:

I like these challenges, and only really concentrate on getting a perfect score. I think it took 20 tries for me to even complete this one, but upon completion it was perfect/gold. My money wasn't impressive though, time ran out and I coasted across the line lol. Restarting after every combo-lost makes me impossibly fast in the first 6 sections, but really slow in the last 6, hence the reason I coasted across the line haha. I think I'll try this one again with the trick for fun.

I'm using the juice on up-hill sections, and to help get around faster cars at the end, where are you guys using it?

Finally got this one, parked at 1.193 mil for the longest time. Tried for 40 on the combo but could only get 39 clean passes by the last cable stayed bridge; then boot it, get the bleep out of my way to finish . So pass first 39 cars and finish with 15 seconds should be good for gold. Prize car comes with every tire, woo- hoo!

I have to say that this challenge was ultimately difficult for me. The AI were just plain annoying on this challenge on the fact just about every driver decided to switch lanes every couple seconds. I swear it was like they couldn't make up their minds.

With that said, I finally golded the challenge just a few minutes ago. I'm current taking pictures from my replay. :D
I also nearly got perfect oddly enough, the only major mistake I made was that I went too fast at a corner at the start of the rally before I met up with the first few cars. Since that though, I managed to somehow overtake every car without any collisions. I think I got a 6.7 combo.
I thought the AI was reasonable, many cars would move to block as you come up on them, just racin', just need to switch lanes last second. A few cars are almost dangerous in veering : the A110 for instance

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the AI was reasonable, many cars would move to block as you come up on them, just racin', just need to switch lanes last second. A few cars are almost dangerous in veering : the A110 for instance

Very good observation. If you catch any car at the right time it will move to allow you to pass. At the wrong time? It will follow its line, appearing to block or outmaneuver you.
Skillful pacing is required to pass them at the right time.

I honestly hate this challenge. I spent another 4 hours on it last night, unhappy with my first run gold and 1.3 million (coasted across the line at the end). I think I must have re-started it 50 times. I finished the race 3 times with a perfect score, and this is the best of them.

IMG_9676-L.jpg

View attachment 260261

I saw and passed the X Bow and also the following,
Fisker Karma, Model S, Subaru S206 NBR, LFA NE, Acura NSX Concept, Boss 302 Stang, Genesis Coupe and the Chromeline 300SL (again). :D In that particular order. :P

You're just baus, end of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Sierra Nizmo event
My grandson Michael "MYCS_co_za" scored 2,649.420 points after approx. 10 or so attempts. Has there been higher scores anyone? His 75 year old grandfather (Toppie_Joe) (Yours truly) is quite happy with a measly personal best of 1,554.912. Will try harder.

Nice challenge but I have a big problem with the concept itself. Those opponents are not racing you, they are blocking you. There is where the challenge is coming from. You need to avoid them; not to race them. You are forced into different lines not by close competition but by unrealistic, bad, idiotic AI behavior. When you brake because 5 cars are blocking the road is not racing. It is 5 stupid AI's having strokes at the same time while driving (not racing) on a mountain. What the heck? The spray in the rain is cool with me but again, when passed, some of those cars are moving at superslow speeds. Every serious player of this game is complaining of idiots that are blocking while doing the Quick Match Events and here we are, the only way to make this challenge more challenging was to replicate THE STUPIDS. I don't get it!

re: Sierra Nizmo event
My grandson Michael "MYCS_co_za" scored 2,649.420 points after approx. 10 or so attempts.

Very nice!👍

My best was a 2,639,730, and it took me quite a few more attempts than 10!!!:ill::dopey::D

Joe Ferreira
Has there been higher scores anyone?

@zzz_pt has done a 2,924,433,👍:bowdown: which is listed in the other Sierra thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sierra-time-rally-round-4.320065/page-3#post-10262593

And @Vic Reign93 👍:bowdown: has done a 2,859,316, shown earlier: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sierra-challenge-nismo-gt-r.320070/#post-10253190

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
Hi Guys... im new to the site.. my old profile was Vortex-WP in the 1st GT Academy South Africa... a finalist. My new GT6 profile is MYCS_CO_ZA For any SA Drivers out there...looking for some home grown competition on the tracks... i hope my Sierra Nismo challenge score pic uploads so i can have it logged and official ;)

MYCS_CO_ZA Add me...

Catch ya'll on the tracks

Attachments

• 20141216_002121.jpg
    20141216_002121.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 5
Decided to go nice and smooth, ran out of time about 100 metres from the line on a perfect run, with a combo of 70 something. Gutted is not the word.

ok a really noob question... how do you get the 'Perfect' points? so far I drive like sh#$ and got gold on previous challenges but none of them gave me those points.

thanks in advance

ok a really noob question... how do you get the 'Perfect' points? so far I drive like sh#$ and got gold on previous challenges but none of them gave me those points.

thanks in advance

Simply put, don't break your combo at any point during the run, so no collisions with other cars, major off-road excursions and stay away from the walls.

Nice challenge but I have a big problem with the concept itself. Those opponents are not racing you, they are blocking you. There is where the challenge is coming from. You need to avoid them; not to race them. You are forced into different lines not by close competition but by unrealistic, bad, idiotic AI behavior. When you brake because 5 cars are blocking the road is not racing. It is 5 stupid AI's having strokes at the same time while driving (not racing) on a mountain. What the heck? The spray in the rain is cool with me but again, when passed, some of those cars are moving at superslow speeds. Every serious player of this game is complaining of idiots that are blocking while doing the Quick Match Events and here we are, the only way to make this challenge more challenging was to replicate THE STUPIDS. I don't get it!

Thinking about it, the unpredictable staccato driving by some opponents are not that unrealistic! Considering this is some kind of multi event with mixed classes racing at the same time, such as The 24 Hours of Le Mans, but additionally historic race/sports cars classes.
And those guys are rich amateurs enthusiasts and old pensioners racing each other - reliving their youth in their beloved 50-60+ year old race cars with drum brakes and skinny diagonal tires, cars some worth many millions of dollars. They wanna get to the finish line with man and machine still in one piece.

And here YOU (we) comes along, surprising everyone by popping up in their mirrors in a split second in supersonic speeds driving a modern superior handling/ performance super car in the attempt for new records in "most near-death overtakes" on a single lap!

It is not suppose to be like a normal race. You are suppose to experience the difficulty of finding the right time and place for overtakes and still make a good overall time!
As you're ridiculously much faster on every part of the track, it might feels to you they blocking you or completely stops before corners.
More factors leading to their weird positioning is that with the wast range of players levels, no one catches up cars at the same places over this long lap.
And this event wouldn't be any fun if you got "Perfect" on your first try, would it!?

Thinking about it, the unpredictable staccato driving by some opponents are not that unrealistic! Considering this is some kind of multi event with mixed classes racing at the same time, such as The 24 Hours of Le Mans, but additionally historic race/sports cars classes.
And those guys are rich amateurs enthusiasts and old pensioners racing each other - reliving their youth in their beloved 50-60+ year old race cars with drum brakes and skinny diagonal tires, cars some worth many millions of dollars. They wanna get to the finish line with man and machine still in one piece.

And here YOU (we) comes along, surprising everyone by popping up in their mirrors in a split second in supersonic speeds driving a modern superior handling/ performance super car in the attempt for new records in "most near-death overtakes" on a single lap!

It is not suppose to be like a normal race. You are suppose to experience the difficulty of finding the right time and place for overtakes and still make a good overall time!
As you're ridiculously much faster on every part of the track, it might feels to you they blocking you or completely stops before corners.
More factors leading to their weird positioning is that with the wast range of players levels, no one catches up cars at the same places over this long lap.
And this event wouldn't be any fun if you got "Perfect" on your first try, would it!?
Don't get me wrong... I like it from the challenge point of view, but, to follow your explanation, those old cars driven by those mavericks, in a real race situation, will move away off the racing line. The analogy is funny though... so I need a red cross on my GTR... hahahahaha....Somebody at the finish line had a heart attack!.... Finding the right time... See, the Challenge, I've noticed, is setup to give the most credits for the overall time... so you need to drive as fast as possible and combine that skill with the ability to avoid blocking.... If you switch behind those opponents from a side to another, they will switch too (something I've noticed in the last 10 laps of the Suzuka Survival Online Event too). I have numerous replays where the AI's are passing each other (or trying to do that) only with the reason of giving you trouble. I appreciate your response and I totally love those Sierra races, but my question was mostly for the developers. In the last survival events ( Nurburgring and Suzuka ) the opponents are actually racing you. At some moments, based on the car you are racing with, they are even matching your speed for at least one lap, staying ahead in the rain or following close by, only to put some pressure on you, make you mess up your lines and braking points, which is great. These AI's on Sierra are doing the opposite... Thank you, and enjoy playing/racing in GT6!

Last edited:
After reading this thread I decided to put some of the suggestions to the test, specifically the one about going sub max through the first checkpoint. I've now logged over 1,000 miles on this event and come away with a few observations.

First, I don't see any evidence to support the idea that going 3/4 speed for the first stage allows for more cars to be overtaken over the rest of the race. There ARE times where it would SEEM that this is true, but repeated testing of the theory proves that it just simply is not a given.

For quite awhile I was convinced that car distribution and patterns was all completely random. But as I continued to log miles and keep notes, I no longer think that it is just random. I think they've done something clever to make it appear as random.

My conviction now is that there are maybe 10-15 "scenarios" for each leg of the race. Many of these scenarios alter just a bit. Just enough that a half second difference in arrival time at any given point will make it seemingly significantly different (and thus purely random) when it really isn't. But if you start to recognize these "scenarios" then you can prepare your line much better, keep an higher speed, and avoid sudden collisions. (Most of the time!)

Now I haven't tried to get an accurate count of just how many "scenarios" there might be in each leg. But if we assume that there were ten for each leg and we multiply that by as many legs there are in the race, that results in quite a massive number of possibilities to encounter during the course of an entire race. Certainly enough to make everything SEEM purely random.

It also means one very important thing. Given that there are certain "scenarios" within each leg whereby the cars bunch up and deliberately slow your pace, I am convinced that the very best scores logged for this event are at least in some part due to a fortunate series of low AI interaction over the course of the entire race. This is NOT to say that anyone with 2million or higher score is a "Lucky" driver. Obviously you have to be skilled to score that high. It only means that those really high scores have more favorable conditions throughout the entire lap. I am perfectly willing to admit that my own high scores are from races where it seemed "easier" than other races. Sure, I was feeling good and on my game, but there were certainly fewer distractions as well. The key point here is that, don't assume that a crappy start to the race will mean the whole thing is a dung heap. I've had races where I was super pissed after stages 1 and 2 only to find that I had made up ALL of the time by stage 4.

I am now convinced that the total number of cars available for overtake is at least 50% random. While it is true that the faster you go the more cars you will encounter I also believe it to be true that there are certain combinations of "scenarios" that simply yield different amounts of overtake opportunities.

Note: There are certain cars that can give you an idea early about how many you might encounter. The 365 GTB, the McLaren, the Rocket are all good examples. Each of those three cars can appear either very early in their respective leg or quite late. And they will do it REGARDLESS of whether you are going balls out or carefully controlled pace. If you see any of these cars very early within their respective stage you will likely find more cars near the final stages to add overtake points with.

Other cars to be aware of are any of the Nissan GT-R cars. There is one for almost every leg of the race. And they are all the "rabbits" of their respective legs. They are the fastest car of each leg but if you manage to pass them early, they won't chase. If you don't pass them early it's pretty safe to follow them as they will have the best line and certainly be the fastest in the vicinity. These cars are also the ones who will be mostly likely to cross checkpoints. The vast majority of cars in this event will confined within the same stage every time. The exceptions to this are ALL of the GT-Rs and a few others. (Such as the McLaren)

One final and very important observation. I have noticed that there can be a difference between the overall clock and the countdown clock for each stage. I find it extremely frustrating, but there doesn't seem to be anything that one can do. Sometimes you just get a crappy clock. There are certain times where I don't get awarded the overtake points and thus the extra time added. And I know it's not me and my driving. Because, while I know that I can't can't go through checkpoints with exacting consistency each time I race, I also know that I am not as much as 17 whole seconds different each time I race either, which is how much different the countdown clock sometimes reads as I go through the checkpoint just prior to the uphill switchbacks. I have seen it read that much different on runs whereby I was doing nearly identical overall time checks. Depending on your skill level, this MIGHT have Gold run implications. I'm mostly frustrated with it when I'm going for a new personal high score and I'm really "Feeling" it only to see that I'm missing about 10 seconds of extra countdown time as I go through a checkpoint. So, again, sometimes a low score is just unlucky. And most high scores are at least somewhat part of good luck.

Final thought: I think it's absolutely retarded that the AI can wreck a perfect run by colliding with me FROM BEHIND!!! They can be as squirrelly as they want to be so long as I can see them in front of me. As far as I'm concerned, it's all skill on my part in avoiding them. But taking me out from behind is total BS and a serious flaw in this event!!

After reading this thread I decided to put some of the suggestions to the test, specifically the one about going sub max through the first checkpoint. I've now logged over 1,000 miles on this event and come away with a few observations.

First, I don't see any evidence to support the idea that going 3/4 speed for the first stage allows for more cars to be overtaken over the rest of the race. There ARE times where it would SEEM that this is true, but repeated testing of the theory proves that it just simply is not a given.

For quite awhile I was convinced that car distribution and patterns was all completely random. But as I continued to log miles and keep notes, I no longer think that it is just random. I think they've done something clever to make it appear as random.

My conviction now is that there are maybe 10-15 "scenarios" for each leg of the race. Many of these scenarios alter just a bit. Just enough that a half second difference in arrival time at any given point will make it seemingly significantly different (and thus purely random) when it really isn't. But if you start to recognize these "scenarios" then you can prepare your line much better, keep an higher speed, and avoid sudden collisions. (Most of the time!)

Now I haven't tried to get an accurate count of just how many "scenarios" there might be in each leg. But if we assume that there were ten for each leg and we multiply that by as many legs there are in the race, that results in quite a massive number of possibilities to encounter during the course of an entire race. Certainly enough to make everything SEEM purely random.

It also means one very important thing. Given that there are certain "scenarios" within each leg whereby the cars bunch up and deliberately slow your pace, I am convinced that the very best scores logged for this event are at least in some part due to a fortunate series of low AI interaction over the course of the entire race. This is NOT to say that anyone with 2million or higher score is a "Lucky" driver. Obviously you have to be skilled to score that high. It only means that those really high scores have more favorable conditions throughout the entire lap. I am perfectly willing to admit that my own high scores are from races where it seemed "easier" than other races. Sure, I was feeling good and on my game, but there were certainly fewer distractions as well. The key point here is that, don't assume that a crappy start to the race will mean the whole thing is a dung heap. I've had races where I was super pissed after stages 1 and 2 only to find that I had made up ALL of the time by stage 4.

I am now convinced that the total number of cars available for overtake is at least 50% random. While it is true that the faster you go the more cars you will encounter I also believe it to be true that there are certain combinations of "scenarios" that simply yield different amounts of overtake opportunities.

Note: There are certain cars that can give you an idea early about how many you might encounter. The 365 GTB, the McLaren, the Rocket are all good examples. Each of those three cars can appear either very early in their respective leg or quite late. And they will do it REGARDLESS of whether you are going balls out or carefully controlled pace. If you see any of these cars very early within their respective stage you will likely find more cars near the final stages to add overtake points with.

Other cars to be aware of are any of the Nissan GT-R cars. There is one for almost every leg of the race. And they are all the "rabbits" of their respective legs. They are the fastest car of each leg but if you manage to pass them early, they won't chase. If you don't pass them early it's pretty safe to follow them as they will have the best line and certainly be the fastest in the vicinity. These cars are also the ones who will be mostly likely to cross checkpoints. The vast majority of cars in this event will confined within the same stage every time. The exceptions to this are ALL of the GT-Rs and a few others. (Such as the McLaren)

One final and very important observation. I have noticed that there can be a difference between the overall clock and the countdown clock for each stage. I find it extremely frustrating, but there doesn't seem to be anything that one can do. Sometimes you just get a crappy clock. There are certain times where I don't get awarded the overtake points and thus the extra time added. And I know it's not me and my driving. Because, while I know that I can't can't go through checkpoints with exacting consistency each time I race, I also know that I am not as much as 17 whole seconds different each time I race either, which is how much different the countdown clock sometimes reads as I go through the checkpoint just prior to the uphill switchbacks. I have seen it read that much different on runs whereby I was doing nearly identical overall time checks. Depending on your skill level, this MIGHT have Gold run implications. I'm mostly frustrated with it when I'm going for a new personal high score and I'm really "Feeling" it only to see that I'm missing about 10 seconds of extra countdown time as I go through a checkpoint. So, again, sometimes a low score is just unlucky. And most high scores are at least somewhat part of good luck.

Final thought: I think it's absolutely retarded that the AI can wreck a perfect run by colliding with me FROM BEHIND!!! They can be as squirrelly as they want to be so long as I can see them in front of me. As far as I'm concerned, it's all skill on my part in avoiding them. But taking me out from behind is total BS and a serious flaw in this event!!
Super good observations. One more thing, from my experience with this event, the points you are given are calculated mainly on the overall time and not on the bonuses. Get fast to the finish line and you'll get great points... Sometimes you can slightly hit some opponents or the walls and not get penalized too, which is confusing for a sec..

Used the nos as a "push-to-pass" and avoided taking any stupid risks, golded it at first try with a perfect run of 1,545,514 pts. with 4 seconds of time to spare.

Somehow I missed Vic Reign93's fantastic feat with the Nizmo on Sierra 2,859.316 absolutly fantastic. Congratulations!
If anybody improves on that score it will probably be you.

Back