Sign Here! Petition To Build A Channel Of Communication Between Fans And PD...

• Thread starter fasj6418
  • 147 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazil
Camboriu - Braz
FASJ6418
Update:

sign here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/gt5GTP/petition.html

i was just reading one other thread about PD not making a specific website like the one forza has.

it got me to think that this is not right. sometimes i feel that GT is made by some entity outside of this world. we know nothing about them, we don´t know if they know we exist, or, quite honestly, if they care.

being a member of sites like operation sports, and knowing iniciatives like forza network, the halo communities, it´s clear that with web 2.0 developers are having the smart idea to comunicate with their fans.

this provides great ideas for development, its a huge part in games like NBA 2K7. developers actually know what their fans want.

since we are members of the biggest GT fan site, we should do something to get in touch with the PD guys. why that doesn´t happen? is it a huge language barrier? are they arrogant? what can we do to make this situation a bit better?

just a brainstorm to get some ideas... don´t get me wrong, i love GT to death, but the game concept is the same since 1997 when the game was first released in japan. the same nagging problems that are still a hurdle for this great franchise. a quick example: we have the same tuning parts to buy since GT1. nothing big has changed since them. we know cars have more parts, so why not make them avaliable? what they managed to do in this particular aspect was to take out racing modification, loved by most fans.

anyway, every know and then we have board challenges, and its a great way to unite the various fan sites around GT. how about uniting those websites to make a proper wishlist of things that we want to see worked for GT5?

in the end, the developer has a vision of the game, but wouldn´t be nice if we could at least have a say in the game? throw some ideas, maybe come up with something that PD hasn´t tought about it yet.

what do you think guys? can we build a communication channel with PD?
how can we do that?

Lots and lots of emails my friend, lots and lots of emails, bricks thrown through the PD windows; BY THE HUNDREDS. Ransom notes promising their cats back if they include damage, etc.

We may not be in direct contact with them but I am certain they are listening, just look at the fuss people made about these 'microtransactions' with GTHD and then they canned it.

I am yet to hear of Developers that don't check what fans want on a regular basis (weather the fans know it or not), I am noticing these days more and more Developers are getting permission to talk to fans directly on forums. (Microsoft Flight sim developers talk regularly on non-official forums with consumers)

KY often does interviews and there has been many videos of tours through the PD headquarters and many other random videos.

We may not be in direct contact with them but I am certain they are listening, just look at the fuss people made about these 'microtransactions' with GTHD and then they canned it.
While that may in fact be the case, one must remember that when the concept of microtransactions came up the entire industry rebelled against it forcefully. That may or may not have anything to do with PD listening to the fans as it may have to do with Sony wanting to avoid a huge PR disaster.

While that may in fact be the case, one must remember that when the concept of microtransactions came up the entire industry rebelled against it forcefully. That may or may not have anything to do with PD listening to the fans as it may have to do with Sony wanting to avoid a huge PR disaster.

Yes, indeed.

Even if someone got through to Polyphony directly you would only get a 'generic' response from a chose spokesperson.I must say though I was a bit dissapointed we didn't here anything about GT at GDC.

Its weird being such a big fan of game that is from a Japanese developer, since our tastes can be so much different. I really thought I was going to love TT, but alas there were mopeds in it. They have different ideas than most Americans, that is natural and nobody's fault. I think there is a language barrier, but with Sony of America we should get some way to talk to PD. I remember when I was hyped about GT4 I always would have to go to the Japanese site to view screens/vids, or hear sound bytes. Its great I don't have that problem with FM but I would love to be able to have an official PD site.

Its weird being such a big fan of game that is from a Japanese developer, since our tastes can be so much different. I really thought I was going to love TT, but alas there were mopeds in it. They have different ideas than most Americans, that is natural and nobody's fault. I think there is a language barrier, but with Sony of America we should get some way to talk to PD. I remember when I was hyped about GT4 I always would have to go to the Japanese site to view screens/vids, or hear sound bytes. Its great I don't have that problem with FM but I would love to be able to have an official PD site.
Do you think that Japanese people don't have that problem with FM or do you think that they created a site to cater for them as well? FM is an American game, they created an American site to post up news and details of the game. GT4 was a Japanese game so they created a Japanese site. There was an official GT4 site, I just don't think it had a forum on it. As far as I'm aware, there still is an official Gran Turismo site.

The 2 or 3 Japanese people that own a 360, probably feel left out with only the American website, your right. There is a offical GT site, it was just never updated when GT4 was in it production stages, the Japanese site had more info, but niether site had all the info you can find on FM's site. I feel like Turn10 takes care of its fans, but PD does not. The Japanese may feel teh same about Turn10, but they don't like the 360 much, so probably not a big problem.

Well English is a language spoken all over the world , I can read forza motorsport but not GT site , and my 1st language is Arabic . So what does PD think of people like me ? no important? I bet GT sells in the NA and Europe more that it sells in Japan its got a wider Audience outside of Japan why not cater to their needs ?

Well English is a language spoken all over the world , I can read forza motorsport but not GT site , and my 1st language is Arabic . So what does PD think of people like me ? no important? I bet GT sells in the NA and Europe more that it sells in Japan its got a wider Audience outside of Japan why not cater to their needs ?

I'll bet it sells better in this country simply because there's more PEOPLE. Japan's not a very big country.

Do you think that Japanese people don't have that problem with FM or do you think that they created a site to cater for them as well? FM is an American game, they created an American site to post up news and details of the game. GT4 was a Japanese game so they created a Japanese site. There was an official GT4 site, I just don't think it had a forum on it. As far as I'm aware, there still is an official Gran Turismo site.

I'd +rep you for that but I need to spread more around.:(

There's two main problems. 1st is that Sony/PD are Japanese companies. If PD was to create a site then they'd start with their local language. If they were to visit an unofficial forum, again they'd start with a Japanese one. That's not to say that they don't watch what goes on here, but their primary focus would be the forum in their own language.

Sometimes I wonder if PD has American or European divisions. If they did then they would be better placed to connect with fans outside of Asia. They would also have people working for them who had a better understanding of cultural differences, and would be better able to adjust the game to suit these other markets. Chances are that the strong Japanese bias we see in the game would be somewhat reduced.

The second problem is that Kaz has a vision of the ultimate driving sim. He is working towards that vision. The accountants at Sony/PD may disagree with parts of that vision - why pay to visit SEMA? What's the point in modelling the Fiat 500? The fans may also disagree with some of his vision, but ultimately he is still working towards his vision.

That second problem is also something of a blessing. He is working towards the ultimate driving sim, and doesn't appear to be swayed by market forces telling him to focus on exotic supercars. He has released many earlier versions restricted not by his vision, but by the available hardware. These have been extremely popular around the world, and now he has the hardware that should be able to realise his dream. He also has plenty of experience from the earlier games, so what is there to prevent him from realising the dream?

Some of you guys need to realise that PD is the developer, not the publisher. Sony is the publisher and it is up to them to make official websites and public relations.

Sony Computer Entertainment is also split up in different regional sections, for example a American Gran Turismo fan site or forum would have to made, updated and controlled by SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America). Developers (PD) don't do the PR.

I'd +rep you for that but I need to spread more around.:(

There's two main problems. 1st is that Sony/PD are Japanese companies. If PD was to create a site then they'd start with their local language. If they were to visit an unofficial forum, again they'd start with a Japanese one. That's not to say that they don't watch what goes on here, but their primary focus would be the forum in their own language.

Sometimes I wonder if PD has American or European divisions. If they did then they would be better placed to connect with fans outside of Asia. They would also have people working for them who had a better understanding of cultural differences, and would be better able to adjust the game to suit these other markets. Chances are that the strong Japanese bias we see in the game would be somewhat reduced.

The second problem is that Kaz has a vision of the ultimate driving sim. He is working towards that vision. The accountants at Sony/PD may disagree with parts of that vision - why pay to visit SEMA? What's the point in modelling the Fiat 500? The fans may also disagree with some of his vision, but ultimately he is still working towards his vision.

That second problem is also something of a blessing. He is working towards the ultimate driving sim, and doesn't appear to be swayed by market forces telling him to focus on exotic supercars. He has released many earlier versions restricted not by his vision, but by the available hardware. These have been extremely popular around the world, and now he has the hardware that should be able to realise his dream. He also has plenty of experience from the earlier games, so what is there to prevent him from realising the dream?

I'm all for that. I always thought PD and even Turn10 should recruit some popular mag editors from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, as well as Euro Mags, and other around the worl mags to get a perfect car list together, that great cars from every region.

Some of you guys need to realise that PD is the developer, not the publisher. Sony is the publisher and it is up to them to make official websites and public relations.

Sony Computer Entertainment is also split up in different regional sections, for example a American Gran Turismo fan site or forum would have to made, updated and controlled by SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America). Developers (PD) don't do the PR.

But is it Sony the publisher, or PD the developer that we would want to open up a communication channel with? Sony could create the best informational website but it would only tell us as much as the developer chose to tell them. It would also be up to PD whether or not to get involved in any discussion.

I mean, if you wanted info on a new Opel GT would you want to talk to GM head office in the USA, or your local Opel dealer? Which would be best placed to give you up to the minute info, and which one is more likely to act on your feedback?

All this would be great but even with all of us going to PD I doubt they would listen, I must say its a bit odd that such a franchise like GT doesn't really ever keep in touch with its fans... most developers have forums or ways of sending in ideas, likes, dislikes and comments..... like I saw on the rainbow six vegas site... its a pity PD don't communicate directly but I am SURE they have people looking round the web undercover probably seeing sites like GTPlanet...

All this would be great but even with all of us going to PD I doubt they would listen

why don't try as we have nothing to loose :D , I would write a petition but I'm not the best writer , so after we write we send it to sony/PD and then see what happens

I think the best thing would be for SCEA to recognize the hard work that Jordan and us fans have made to have a great community of GT enthusiasts, and make this site the official American Gran Turismo site. It wouldn't be hard to have a PR guy and an english speaking dev or two come here to post teasers for us and keep us stoked. I don't think that's ever going to happen, but as said before, it is cool to know that people from Polyphony and Sony come here to ghost around and see what's on our minds.

*waves to Kaz-sama* Uhm... just ignore the sig. :P

But is it Sony the publisher, or PD the developer that we would want to open up a communication channel with? Sony could create the best informational website but it would only tell us as much as the developer chose to tell them. It would also be up to PD whether or not to get involved in any discussion.

Sony are the guys you are supposed to talk to, weather the message goes through or not is upto them, you can always try to contact PD but the are bound by Sonys set rules (NDA) so they can't tell you anything.

I mean, if you wanted info on a new Opel GT would you want to talk to GM head office in the USA, or your local Opel dealer? Which would be best placed to give you up to the minute info, and which one is more likely to act on your feedback?

You ring GM, they put you through to the PR department, same as Sony's PR department.

For example you want to contact GM about the upcoming Pontiac G8, the 'developers' are Holden but you will talk to Pontiac's PR department not direct to Holden.

Microsoft's development team ACES who develop the flight simulator series never talked to anyone and was kept away from the large fan/userbase, as of a couple years ago Microsoft (the publisher) gave permission to the development team to enter forums and talk with everyone (while still under NDA), it has worked out great and it would be nice if Sony did the same.

I think the best thing would be for SCEA to recognize the hard work that Jordan and us fans have made to have a great community of GT enthusiasts, and make this site the official American Gran Turismo site. It wouldn't be hard to have a PR guy and an english speaking dev or two come here to post teasers for us and keep us stoked. I don't think that's ever going to happen, but as said before, it is cool to know that people from Polyphony and Sony come here to ghost around and see what's on our minds.

💡 Yeah, definitley. We are the biggest communitity of GT players right? Lets march to Sony! :mischievous:

well said, i´m all for a petition, and i think jordan would love it also. being the "official forum for GT" would sure give us some details about the upcoming games. that´s not so hard to do.

heck, even a superstar dev like kojima has a podcast. we should get something out of PD. the last thing i got from PD was a tour in the PD studius in japan, posted on gametrailers. the PR guy was american.

i was just reading the heavenly sword forums... great stuff, more and more games are doing this, even before they´re released.

phil talked wednesday about gaming 3.0. that concept involves a lot of the community aspect. feedback, user created content... out of the current top 10 best selling franchises, i think only gran turismo does not have a channel of communication between users and developers... correct me if i´m wrong, but all other major IP´s have...

let´s do something people! somehow we might have helped to dissuade PD from going microtransactions wild. maybe we can do something in this aspect also:tup:

phil talked wednesday about gaming 3.0. that concept involves a lot of the community aspect. feedback, user created content... out of the current top 10 best selling franchises, i think only gran turismo does not have a channel of communication between users and developers... correct me if i´m wrong, but all other major IP´s have...
You know, you're right about that. I don't see Polyphony living in an ivory tower or anything, but they do seem incredibly removed from their fans. It would be nice if we could get a Scrivener to come post in here, some guy from Sony and a car enthusiast like many of us are, someone to give us at least an ear and a fellow car nut to at least hint at some things to come from Kaz and the lads, or Sony if nothing else.

We can always take another approach on contacting PD by sending emails not to Sony or PD directly, but to video game magazines. Usually when there is a big event (E3,TGS etc) Its the guys in the magazine buisness who can probably get direct communication with the creator of the game. It also makes sense that its there job to obtain info, so this way might be more realistic.

I dunno, just a thought.

Great ideas, just not sure which ones can work. PD may think we are whacked out crazy fans if we petition them to make us the official site and participate with us. But the getting EGM to do it would be nice. Maybe they could interview him, though not as hard as that Sony Exec( I think he soiled his pants after some real tough questions) but EGM could definitely bring up the lack of connection PD has with the fans and maybe Kaz doesnt even realize it.

GTO_V4

I cant believe you still have that signature!, its like from years ago and it wasn't meant to be a funny comment nor a joke!... do you post much??

Anyway, back on track, its true that if we were made official then we would get more info from PD but being official means less freedom in a way..... we would still be way more concise than other ones out there, still a good idea though...

OK so how do we go from here , we need a good writer to write a Petition (or a letter ) that we all could use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back