Silverstone 10-lap challenge

• Thread starter cxmcdan
  • 19 comments
United States
Colorado
cxmcdan
OK, tried a few different cars but can't beat the Silverstone 10-lap challenge...tried the McLaren F1 GTR, Z4 GT3 and even a de-tuned Peugeot 905B but can't seem to win. What has everyone else used to win this race?

Sorry but, McLaren F1 Base model and BMW Z4 GT3 (with stage 3 engine tuning - nothing else) have been the two cars I use the most for this. Mainly because I love them... I really don't know what else to suggest if you've struggled with them (other than the GTR R35 TC posted above. Very good car). You could try using HaB-Racing's tune for them - I do.

You can get away with racing softs until you pit as well, if you wish, although it's not the best solution, it may help. They don't wear out at the same rate they should do due to a bug. Pit on lap 6 for fuel and slap some racing hards on and fill your tank up to just under 2/3 capacity and you should come out in 2nd, with 1st not too far ahead (having either caught him on lap 5 or sooner or driven past him in the pits on lap 6). You should finish with just enough fuel.

Other than that, keep trying. It's easy once you know how and the best way to know is through practice.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll give it a try. I certainly know practice will be a part of it but trying other cars may just put me over the top!

A detuned Minolta Toyota is still stupid fast on the straights.
I suggest giving that a shot if you are having problems.

My personal favorite is the BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97.
Same one that is the lead rabbit, depending on AI cycle.

If you really want to win it, then use the R18, i first used the 15th anniversary edition... But i managed to win with severall other cars, such as the Mclaren F1 Race Car, the BMW Z4 GT3, the Orecca Viper and the R35 TC among others.

OK, tried a few different cars but can't beat the Silverstone 10-lap challenge...tried the McLaren F1 GTR, Z4 GT3 and even a de-tuned Peugeot 905B but can't seem to win. What has everyone else used to win this race?
2J. When in doubt, 2J.

BMW Z4 GT3 was my first, though I've since used the McLaren F1 and the R35 TC, the later probably a bit easier.

I have attempted it twice and failed twice when I should have won. Both times in the base model McLaren F1. 1st time I tried to go to lap 7 and ran out of fuel. 2nd time I cleverly(or so I thought) removed 3 litres of fuel at my pitstop on lap 6 to save a fraction of a second of stationary tiime and ran out of fuel coming out of Copse on the last home and had to creep to the line at 50mph so came 2nd. I have leared from my mistakes so next time I am on I will beat it in the McLaren F1 base model. It is possible to run racing softs both stints in this car.

I have attempted it twice and failed twice when I should have won. Both times in the base model McLaren F1. 1st time I tried to go to lap 7 and ran out of fuel. 2nd time I cleverly(or so I thought) removed 3 litres of fuel at my pitstop on lap 6 to save a fraction of a second of stationary tiime and ran out of fuel coming out of Copse on the last home and had to creep to the line at 50mph so came 2nd. I have leared from my mistakes so next time I am on I will beat it in the McLaren F1 base model. It is possible to run racing softs both stints in this car.

I've done similar things in the R35 TC. Ran out of fuel on 9th lap as I'd shaved a bit too much of the suggested amount as well.

I managed better the second time with the R35 but due some bad driving lost 3 or 4 seconds in a couple of laps and that was enough to relegate me to 2nd.

You need to be doing consistent 2 minute laps, unless you're against a McLaren F1 GTR in which case you need to be at least 5 seconds quicker per lap I think.

I've done similar things in the R35 TC. Ran out of fuel on 9th lap as I'd shaved a bit too much of the suggested amount as well.

I managed better the second time with the R35 but due some bad driving lost 3 or 4 seconds in a couple of laps and that was enough to relegate me to 2nd.

You need to be doing consistent 2 minute laps, unless you're against a McLaren F1 GTR in which case you need to be at least 5 seconds quicker per lap I think.
My laps were generally in the 1:56s with the exception of the pit in and out laps. This was enough for a 15 second win or so against another McLaren F1 GTR

I used my Corvette ZR1 race car, got lucky and didn't have to race a McLaren F1 GTR.

I had mine detuned to around 625PP (sticking to GT1 power specs). I opted for RM tires, pitted on lap 5, got enough fuel to take me to the finish and won with a lead of 15 seconds.

Back