SimBin Studios Confirms GTR 3, Scheduled for 2018

• Thread starter adam46
  • 285 comments
Still not quite sure why balancing authenticity with playability ever became a bad thing (though I have a really good working theory), but there we apparently are.
Just wondering, could you elaborate a bit on what you mean here? I don't think I understand what you are saying. Do you mean that they should put a limit on how much they simulate in the game? Isn't every game doing that already? How is it a bad thing?

For me a big part of the "playability" is how the cars handle (you might call that authenticity). That's where most of the fun lies for me personally.

I hope we get some news on gtr3 and this website should make a dedicated category for the game. I hope we get an early release date but I have a feeling the release date will be June 2019 around the time of the second le mens race or maybe even the start of the new season in homestead for the 24 hours.

I would be happen if it just has the courses the world endurance racing go to. Then it could have new and old cars that would be fine with me.

Sooo the reveal should be today or?
Maybe meanwhile old 'news' but read on several forum/social media sites that Simbin will be present just as regular visitors and do some talks with publishers. So they do not have their own stand or reveal of GTR3. Hype is gone with the wind (for now)

The site I've been following seemed to have it together with some proper upcoming news but nothing has officially released yet, and now the attached forum is grabbing pitchforks.

Much passion around the GTR franchise I would say even though it's been a decade since the last release.

The site I've been following seemed to have it together with some proper upcoming news but nothing has officially released yet, and now the attached forum is grabbing pitchforks.

Much passion around the GTR franchise I would say even though it's been a decade since the last release.
It's all a bit pathetic over there. Feel sorry for Paul. It's a really horrible place at times, the worst sim racing has to offer some of the time.

You feel sorry for Paul ?

Tbh he should have said nothing and then bring the interview instead of teasing then saying that he waits on pictures and that was the last we heard from him. He could at least say that something happend and that we have to wait until XXX for the intreview. But saying nothing is very bad imo.

Well that was anticlimactic. Safe to say we're are a ways off from seeing or hearing anything about the game.
SimBin saying it is at Gamescom was ridiculous and misleading. I was excited to get to see a trailer at least and all we got was a tweet saying we'll share details in the coming months. Silly approach to drumming up interest in your new sim.

SimBin like:

giphy.gif

SimBin saying it is at Gamescom was ridiculous and misleading. I was excited to get to see a trailer at least and all we got was a tweet saying we'll share details in the coming months. Silly approach to drumming up interest in your new sim.

Not defending anyone or any entity, but I believe it was Catalyst that posted one tweet.
Mr Simbin never said "it" would be there, he said they would be there.
I assume they were there just looking for a publisher to take on the game.
However it played out, threads over there are getting locked up and I hope Simbin and any potential publisher has taken note of the extreme interest and give us something soon.

He locked the thread at racedepartment forums and doubled down that "he is still waiting for screenshots" then he'll post the interview

"We see GTR3 as kind of the gateway. If people play it and love it, the next step would be RaceRoom. R3E is a solid simulation product, that’s not what GTR3 is going to be perceived as. It might fit the bill for some people, but it’s not going to be perceived as a ‘simulation’ title. There is a high expectation from all the sim racers that GTR3 is going to be a simulation product that appeals to that type of player only, it will certainly be fun as a sim racer, just like I have fun with a variety of other racing games in the genre."

A little disappointing for me personally, I have to admit. I was hoping for a title firmly seated in the "simulation" category.

Also, is he playing a bit of Word Association Football here? "It's not going to be perceived as a simulation title" but "it will certainly be fun as a sim racer." What's the difference between a "sim racer" and a "simulation title"? :) Or is he just trying to cover all bases, assuring that it will have something for everyone?

Sounds like they are aiming for the game to feel more like PCars 2. Leaning towards simulation, but still maintaining approachability. Whereas, say, Assetto Corsa is a simulation.

Read the article yesterday. Some bits are hard to follow Chris talks in circles at some points.

But, the main ones were driven home being it won't be a physics priority based simulation.

Could still be good fun, I have fun playing with Forza and do like career modes with achievements and what not.

My primary concern is that it's optimized for PC then ported to console, not the other way around.

My primary concern is that it's optimized for PC then ported to console, not the other way around.

Well, the other way around would then be a concern for someone like me who is gaming on the PC. :)
GTR series having it's roots in PC gaming, i of course welcome it being developed for PC 'first'.

I think there is no correct way to go here. We had bad console ports from PC titles as well as bad PC ports from console titles.
Apparently either way is sort of difficult and devs seem to not get it right no matter what direction.

My take away message from that interview is GTR3 is going to be a simcade title, and RRRE is still going to be their premier sim. Not Codemasters GRID type simcade, but maybe more GTS level. Still pretty disappointing though. I still feel ACC is going to be the better game overall.

It's a shame. GTR2 was (and still is) fantastic to drive despite its age. Its sequel (GTR Evo/Race 07) was watered down in terms of physics, but gains in terms of content. I couldn't really gel with the driving and never played it as much as GTR2. Seems like GTR3 will be picking up from GTR Evo with its multiple classes instead of a focused game like GTR2.

Honestly, if GTR3 is RRRE with all contents included and no microtransaction rubbish, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As of now though, meh.

Back