SIMUCUBE 2 Direct Drive Force Feedback Wheel Bases

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 198 comments
Fanatec Podium QR still have some play there , but very little

Not at all in my experience. Even feels fine with the simplified QR wheels. Those wheels have more flex than others of course, but still don't have any play with the QR system.

There is no powerful enough power supply that is of the same high quality, as both power supplies they are using now.
Not strictly true as the ultimate uses just a single power supply. It would have been done to meet a price point. (2 X 280w Meanwell about £80 for a single unit - PRO variant) as opposed to a single 480w for podium DD1..... Much of a muchness really.

Not strictly true as the ultimate uses just a single power supply.
This is a high-quality custom-made power supply which is made specifically for this wheel and it would be very expensive to make custom-made power supply for the Pro wheelbase.
It would have been done to meet a price point. (2 X 280w Meanwell about £80 for a single unit - PRO variant) as opposed to a single 480w for podium DD1..... Much of a muchness really.
According to Granite Devices they have tested the 480w for podium DD and it did not meet their quality requirements.

None in mine, if anything it's a bit too tight - which I've cured with a small dab of silicone grease.
Have you watch my video above? Actually fanatec qr design is no way to make 0% play , it just depend on “zero play” definition by personal standard

None in mine, if anything it's a bit too tight - which I've cured with a small dab of silicone grease.
I try to draw a picture for explaining , that’s the cross section of CSQR and podium hub , the rubber ring can make the QR sit tight , but there is the only one 100% tangent supporting point , another supporting point from ball bearings, they sit tight on the hub depend on QR outer shell push , but there have quite a space between outer shell and silver barrel , so when twist the wheel as my video above , we still can see there have some play on QR

Sorry for my bad English, hope you can understand

A4801474-841F-48A4-9110-5963C7EED34C.jpeg

I try to draw a picture for explaining , that’s the cross section of CSQR and podium hub , the rubber ring can make the QR sit tight , but there is the only one 100% tangent supporting point , another supporting point from ball bearings, they sit tight on the hub depend on QR outer shell push , but there have quite a space between outer shell and silver barrel , so when twist the wheel as my video above , we still can see there have some play on QR

Sorry for my bad English, hope you can understand

View attachment 828939
Thanks for the diagram, and yes I did watch your video. That doesn't necessarily show poor design but could just be poor QC. Lateral movement as can be seen from the video may be down to the fact that he hasn't bottomed the rim out properly. Neither of my two rims(McLaren GT3, CS Formula V2) show any such movement, in other words - sloppy manufacturing or user error is probably more the reason than poor design. I'm not for one moment saying that it couldn't be improved, Fanatec could go to either a spline or Morse taper but the keyway with expanding rubber flange does the job amply for what's required. It's designed & made to a cost and as yet no-one is doing it cheaper for this level of output.

This is a high-quality custom-made power supply which is made specifically for this wheel and it would be very expensive to make custom-made power supply for the Pro wheelbase

According to Granite Devices they have tested the 480w for podium DD and it did not meet their quality requirements.

Exactly, it's a thousand pound dearer as well.... Look, I don't really want to get into this too deeply as there's a lot of snake oil being sold in this hobby. I'll offend some, upset others and that's not my purpose here.

I'm well aware of Granite Devices claims on the PSU.... Baloney.... It's just a power supply and can it deliver what's required of it?...

My background is in aerospace. I'm a semi retired design engineer (gas turbine - jet engines to Joe & Josephine public) I now do a small amount of consultancy work in the field of hydrogen fuel cell technology but am lucky enough to spend most of my time building RC model aeroplanes & SIM racing.

Thanks for the diagram, and yes I did watch your video. That doesn't necessarily show poor design but could just be poor QC. Lateral movement as can be seen from the video may be down to the fact that he hasn't bottomed the rim out properly. Neither of my two rims(McLaren GT3, CS Formula V2) show any such movement, in other words - sloppy manufacturing or user error is probably more the reason than poor design. I'm not for one moment saying that it couldn't be improved, Fanatec could go to either a spline or Morse taper but the keyway with expanding rubber flange does the job amply for what's required. It's designed & made to a cost and as yet no-one is doing it cheaper for this level of output.
That video was from my podium, and I have 3 CS rims , all getting the same “issue” , and that issue also found from my previous CSW , even locked the key bolt , and of coz those QR was designed 8 years ago , so they do a good job on podium hub already , I love my podium

Btw , I think we stop discussing Fanatec stuff on Simucube thread , thx for your replies

Exactly, it's a thousand pound dearer as well.... Look, I don't really want to get into this too deeply as there's a lot of snake oil being sold in this hobby. I'll offend some, upset others and that's not my purpose here.

I'm well aware of Granite Devices claims on the PSU.... Baloney.... It's just a power supply and can it deliver what's required of it?...

My background is in aerospace. I'm a semi retired design engineer (gas turbine - jet engines to Joe & Josephine public) I now do a small amount of consultancy work in the field of hydrogen fuel cell technology but am lucky enough to spend most of my time building RC model aeroplanes & SIM racing.
I understand you like your Fanatec DD wheel very much and for you this is the best DD wheel of all, enjoy your wheel.

I understand you like your Fanatec DD wheel very much and for you this is the best DD wheel of all, enjoy your wheel.
It's about making informed decisions, not one based purely on opinions. This technology may be new to the domestic SIM racing community but if you do your own research you'll discover that a lot of it is over half a century old. The Simucube is a design by committee, made up as they go along - bits added DIY fashion. I'll agree, I'm an engineer very much of the K.I.S.S principal but sometimes one needs to start with a blank piece of paper. rs232 went out with the ark and there's no reason to use two PSU's other than cost or pure lazyness, it's sloppy design.... Having to power your wireless with a couple of batteries when you have power on tap, that's an afterthought don't you think? ... Ever had a remote left in a draw for too long only to discover the batteries have leaked... I'm sure you'd love it if that happened to your £1000 rim?

I'm no fanboy of any make in particular, but I have a good understanding of what I'm looking at. Wouldn't you prefer others to base their purchase on good engineering and proven science......not just the opinions of non experts.

Having to power your wireless with a couple of batteries when you have power on tap, that's an afterthought don't you think? ... Ever had a remote left in a draw for too long only to discover the batteries have leaked... I'm sure you'd love it if that happened to your £1000 rim?
Fanatec has the best wireless solution on the market but they need better Quick Release. Will they be able to develop QR with zero play considering that there is pins in the middle which complicates the task, we will see in the future.
SC2 QR does not have pins due to the wireless solution and this makes the design of the QR with zero play easier in my opinion.
went out with the ark and there's no reason to use two PSU's other than cost or pure lazyness, it's sloppy design....
Wouldn't you prefer others to base their purchase on good engineering and proven science......not just the opinions of non experts.
I want to base my opinion on tests and more precisely, which power supply gets hotter and which power supply is louder.
I'm no fanboy of any make in particular
I did not say that you are fanboy, I just said that you are so pleased with the performance of your Fanatec DD that you do not think anyone can catch up or overtake them.

Well, don't they have a new QR in development? let's see... But I'll hazzard a quess - of course they can but it will depend more on whether the customer base is prepared to pay the premium needed and is it justified?

Again, I'll answer you this way, producing a quality QR is not rocket science it purely economies of scale, is the market willing to stump up the cash. Fanatec will be the company that eventually brings DD to the mass market so getting the price right is of prime importance.

The problem for Granite Devices is that they don't produce their own wheel, they've needed to rely on third parties hence going for the simplest solution - it's a compromise.... They should have done it properly and produced their own rim. They won't, which shows a non committal to the discipline which they could pull out of anytime.... This isn't their bread & butter for Fanatec it is.

He's nice man with a lovely soothing voice, more suited to the radio but not a testing piece of equipment in sight.... Just opinions, nothing more, though I won't be anymore critical than that as folk love him and he loves what he does.... Show n' tell is always good I s'pose :)

I can only give you what would be termed as purely anecdotal - my PSU is almost silent & barely luke warm to the touch under full load.... Make of that what you want.

Last comment in the wrong thread, manufacturers have a tendency to over engineer first generation products, reputations, failure & inexperience being a prime cause. I've read many that are sitting on the fence waiting the outcome.... As I already suggested, the tech for DD in not unknown, inrunners and outrunners first appeared over 70yrs ago, encoders for at least 40... What is less understood is the software to run these things & it will be that that decides the outcome oh, and of course price..... Not the engineering.

The problem for Granite Devices is that they don't produce their own wheel, they've needed to rely on third parties hence going for the simplest solution - it's a compromise.... They should have done it properly and produced their own rim.
Yes, throw away compatibility with all third parties beautiful, high end, carbon fiber wheels and build your own single rim. A great recipe if the goal is for no one to buy your wheelbase, or at least all SC1 owners who want to upgrade to SC2.
He's nice man with a lovely soothing voice, more suited to the radio but not a testing piece of equipment in sight.... Just opinions, nothing more, though I won't be anymore critical than that as folk love him and he loves what he does.... Show n' tell is always good I s'pose :)
The guy has tested almost any DD wheel on the market but he is not competent enough to test DD wheel and tell the positives and negatives in comparison to other DD wheels, I do not think that you can be more critical than that.

Last edited:
The problem for Granite Devices is that they don't produce their own wheel, they've needed to rely on third parties hence going for the simplest solution - it's a compromise
Those wheels from Asher Racing look like anything but a compromise. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
He's nice man with a lovely soothing voice, more suited to the radio but not a testing piece of equipment in sight.... Just opinions, nothing more
Heheh, as opposed to all other wheel reviewers with their range of Passive Spectrum Analyzers, Sublight Wave Neurolizers, and Modular Interphase Coils? :P In fact, he's the only one (that I've seen) that takes apart the components to see how they are built. Most just plug the wheel into the computer and off we go. And since when was reviews anything but opinions?

Glad you are enjoying your Podium. I myself recently upgraded to a CSW2.5 and was very impressed. Great wheel! Can't feel any flex or play in the QR. :)

Those wheels from Asher Racing look like anything but a compromise. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Heheh, as opposed to all other wheel reviewers with their range of Passive Spectrum Analyzers, Sublight Wave Neurolizers, and Modular Interphase Coils? :P In fact, he's the only one (that I've seen) that takes apart the components to see how they are built. Most just plug the wheel into the computer and off we go. And since when was reviews anything but opinions?

Glad you are enjoying your Podium. I myself recently upgraded to a CSW2.5 and was very impressed. Great wheel! Can't feel any flex or play in the QR. :)

Yes, I believe I've been slightly misunderstood in using the word 'compromise' I don't mean to use it in any derogatory fashion - but it was used so third party rim makers has a simple solution. GD skirted the issue by using two separate power sources (batteries) for both rim & base so the Bluetooth could communicate with each other. The power for the wireless could have/should have been supplied by the base - throwing or hacking a battery pack on to both (I'll use both terms loosely) is an afterthought or compromise. If you really want to know how I feel about the method they used - it's crap - It's the kind of solution I may have used when I was a engineering student as taking power from the base is a much more difficult proposition, but if you are able to do it this way you end up with something more elegant and as an engineer I appreciate the lengths Fanatec have gone to do just that...….

I love Barry - best show 'n tell on YouTube by some margin as you say ;)

Passive Spectrum Analyzers, Sublight Wave Neurolizers, and Modular Interphase Coils.... pmsl ;)

GD skirted the issue by using two separate power sources (batteries) for both rim & base so the Bluetooth could communicate with each other. The power for the wireless could have/should have been supplied by the base - throwing or hacking a battery pack on to both (I'll use both terms loosely) is an afterthought or compromise.
What is your source/link that they use a battery in the wheel base?

"Just a reminder for curious DIY people who might be interested to see what’s inside the product, disassembling the unit & motor elsewhere voids warranty and requires in anycase that the unit is sent back to us for calibration & to be run through production tester to function as designed. This it said so that people won’t get disappointed if they disassemble the product and found it to work weirdly or not at all after that."

I have not heard of a battery in the wheel base and for replacing the battery will have to disassemble the wheel base and that will void the warranty.

Edit:
Wheel base receiver runs from the same regulator as the rest of the electronics - no batteries there.

Last edited:
I'll apologise if I've mis-read the info that's available - but the rim certainly does so it can act as a TX/RX - The base needing to do the same whether a self powered or externally powered Bluetooth TX/RX is neither here nor there.... It still need batteries in the rim, which in turn has it's vulnerabilities... If you think that's not half arsed, that's your prerogative.

Just saw the video and I now really want one along with the Asher racing wireless wheel but since I mostly race on PS4 I will stay with the podium for now

You know you can use the Ultimate(or any OSW wheel for that matter) on the PS3 and PS4, right?

I'll apologise if I've mis-read the info that's available - but the rim certainly does so it can act as a TX/RX - The base needing to do the same whether a self powered or externally powered Bluetooth TX/RX is neither here nor there.... It still need batteries in the rim, which in turn has it's vulnerabilities... If you think that's not half arsed, that's your prerogative.
You seem very defensive :odd:. The Fanatec QR is poop and they know it, the locking pin on the CSW and expanding rubber gasket now are just band aids and why they have already stated there will be a new improved Podium level QR at some point.

I’ll certainly consider a Podium base but not until there is a single Podium package rather than this piecemeal upgrade route.

Back