Ske's vids (July 27 update: First Forza vid)

• Thread starter Ske
  • 109 comments

Ske

Gimp
Premium
Norway
Home
The_Ske
PzR Ske
...so I decided to put together a couple of replays from my first week in Forza 2, before I consider going Live.

HQ download - 83MB xvid (right click, save as...)
YouTube (stream)

Note that I haven't exactly got the hang of this game yet, but at least it's a start... My countersteering's a real mess with the MS wheel (POS really) compared to the good ol DFP, and I suppose the more sensitive tuning isn't doing me any favors either. At least you get to see some of the tracks ;)

Video archive:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New.gif
Theme park 5: Static (Mar 2007) Download | YouTube
Even though things are a bit slow these days, here's a bundle of clips from a late night session with the TVR Tuscan. This car has some serious attitude issues, so it was a bit of a handful at times with tons of understeer AND oversteer - often at the same time... Hope you'll enjoy it!

Apricot demo (Dec 2006) YouTube
Quick demonstration of the sweeper at Apricot Hill in an MB SL600. Multiple angles.

Tsukuba demo (Dec 2006) YouTube
Quick demonstration of the last corner at Tsukuba in an AE86. 3 lines with DFP view.

Theme park 4: Bugs in the Attic (Nov 2006) Download
Another collection of clips, this time I'm dropping the power even further when the old Beetle Standard tours the original courses. I made this vid to try out some new filters and a new format, and I think the picture quality turned out pretty nice to be honest...

Theme park 3: Old Dog, Old Tricks (Nov 2006) Download
After sitting down for a bit of a tuning session with an old Z28, I ended up quite liking the car... Maybe it's because it was so hairy I actually had to make it tighter (for once). So I thought I'd capture a few laps around ye olde Autumn Ring after I got some decent settings.

How to draw a line 1: Cappucino at Deep Forest (Nov 2006) Download
Originally an outtake from "Espresso", I thought I'd start a new rough cut series of short clips, big links. This time it's a Cappucino dealing with turns 2-8 on Deep Forest in one go.. the angle isn't all that, but hey it's a tough task for that tiny car.

Theme park 2: Espresso (Nov 2006) Download | YouTube
New short vid featuring one car, a Cappucino. I picked up this car today, and man does it handle! I just had to capture some links with it ;)

Altered State (Oct 2005) YouTube
This video reflects my latest fixation in GT4, focusing mainly on long drifts and big high speed links.

Theme park 1: A grand day out (Oct 2005) Download
This video isn't perfect - but I had some fun making it, seeing how far I could push the old barge..

DTCC 1 (Oct 2005) YouTube
Features a host of touring/gt cars going sideways.

Helpless (Sept 2005) Download
This was sort of my learning project, and it was made in its entirety the weekend I got my capture card.

Competition entries:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WDS 18 (Mar 2007) YouTube
Mazda RX-7 (FD) at Motegi. HM/Demo

WDS 15 (Feb 2007) YouTube
Mazda RX-7 (FC) at Suzuka. 1st place

WDS 13 (Jan 2007) YouTube
Holden Monaro at Tsukuba. 3rd place

WDS 12 (Dec 2006) YouTube
Toyota Sprinter Trueno at SSR5. HM/Demo

WDS 11 (Dec 2006) YouTube
Nissan Skyline Coupe at Trial Mountain. 1st place

WDS 10 (Nov 2006) YouTube
Amuse S2000 at Autumn Ring Mini. HM/Demo

WDS 9 (Nov 2006) YouTube
Mazda RX-7 (FC) at Opera Paris. 1st place

WDS 8 (Nov 2006) YouTube
Dodge Viper at Infineon. 1st place

WDS 7 (Nov 2006) YouTube
Mercedes-Benz E55 at Fuji. 1st place

WDS 6 bonus round (Oct 2006) YouTube
Toyota MR-2 at El Capitan reverse (Speed drift). 2nd place.

WDS 6 (Oct 2006) YouTube
Nissan Silvia at Grand Valley East. 1st place

WDS 5 (Oct 2006) YouTube
Toyota Corolla Levin at Autumn Ring reverse. 2nd place

WDS 4 (Oct 2006) YouTube
Aston Martin Vanquish at Apricot Hill. DNQ

WDS 3 (Oct 2006) YouTube
BMW M5 at Cote d'Azur. 1st place

WDS 2 (Sept 2006) YouTube
Ford Mustang at Midfield reverse. 1st place

WDS 1 (Sept 2006) YouTube
Chrysler Crossfire at Trial Mountain reverse. 1st place

GTPDC 8 (Mar 2006) YouTube
Mercury Cougar at Grand Valley Speedway. 1st place, professional class

GTPDC 5 (Nov 2005) Download
TVR 350c at Clubman Stage R5. 1st place, professional class

GTPDC 4 (Nov 2005) Download
Toyota Tacoma at Autumn Ring reverse. 1st place, professional class

link is not working for me.

Edit-real player popped up 20 secs later. To much of the same camera angles was getting boring.but still good,good job 👍

Weird, works here... I'll upload to an alternative server, I guess...

Edit: thanks and yeah I know about the angles.. but it's hard to predict what angles you get from synced replay lol :sly:

DARKEST_HOUR
link is not working for me.
Edit-real player popped up 20 secs later.

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Download the "Full" version. It includes Media Player Classic, which will play any file format. You'll also never run into a problem with not having a codec. Beats having WMP, Quicktime, and RealPlayer all installed.

Good stuff Ske 👍 Some of the camera angles kinda took away from the drifts though, but most of them looked pretty nice.

Thanks again, gotta figure out those angles... maybe play more with the normal replay mode. It's a shame that the "static" cameras in synced don't follow the car like the normal replay.

:dopey:

I agree with dtc: Real Alternative is where it's at! (Get Quicktime alternative too :P )

hrm, I like it.

I have a few comments on the vid quality though,
I caught the bit where you said it's a new cap card, so naturally you're still testing things out.

I've got my best quality by using the huffyuv codec for captures. Link
and VirtualDub (or VirtualDubMod) as my cature program, instead of whatever the hardware manufacturer gives you. Link

If you need help with the program, gimme a shout. (DTC knows a thing or two about it as well, she uses the same setup).
That setup should get rid of most of the graining in your vid.

you can still do all your final edits in Vegas 4 or 6 or whatever (I use 6) to convert the resulting avi from your captures into wmv or rm format.

oh, about your sound problem with wmv's. When you're about to render with vegas, check out the rendering template properties. Maybe you just need to change the audio properties a bit.
here's what I use for my vids:

Video Rendering Quality: Best
Audio: CBR - WMA 9.1 - 32kbps, 44khz, stereo (A/V) CBR
Video: bit rate VBR - WMV V7 - 23.976 (IVTC) FPS - 700 to 1000 kbps

works well for me. I drop the frame rate to help save file size. If you have a goal file size in mind, fewer frames lets you get slightly better quality (fewer FPS, means each frame can be allocated a few more bytes, thus raising the picture quality). It's hard to notice the missing frames until you go to about 20 FPS or lower. Adjust the average bit rate to find a nice balance between file size and video quality.

btw - out of curiosity, what kind of card did you get?

I use a bulk card based on a Phillips SAA7130 (cheap card), and the source material for this clip was recorded with the bundled no-name software in uncompressed 640x480x24.

After making this (I rendered this file 4 hours after getting the card lol) I've experimented a bit with compressed capturing. I now capture with VD using HuffYUV 2.1/YUY2 and the smart deinterlacing plugin coupled with some level/saturation and contrast boosts to counter the compression. I'm still struggling a bit with jaggies on high res (720x576) but it's still better than the full motion interlace sickness of the default capture software, and it sure beats 320x240...
The field variation interlacing of this clip's source files was sickening (probably because of the cheap card or poor drivers?). When using the smart deinterlacing filter I lose those, but the image tends to get very pixellated, almost as bad as using low res.. so i have yet to decide what's the best solution for me. I'm also considering sticking with uncompressed video to preserve some saturation and contrast.. but I'm a noob with all this, so who knows ;)

Any sound resolution I tried using WMV basically sucked, and I only got trebley flutter and the center panned portion of the sound, including vocals, was totally lost (I'm a semi-professional electronic musician so I know digital audio) I'm quite happy with the quality per file size of realmedia though, so I might stick with that for now...

Also, I record using a PAL PS2 so the framerate is 25. I could try 20, but in these broadband times the rendered file sizes shouldn't matter that much. I'll try reducing in and see how it looks, though. Like I said, digital video is completely new to me, but I expect to learn pretty fast since I have experience with digital audio processing :dopey:

I'm serious about learning this though, so feel free to give more pointers.. I appreciate it :D Next goal: some bigger (drifting) and more interesting (replay) angles for the next installment. I'm having a hard time getting the synced replay modes to give me the angle I want at the right time though..

Updated with final version. Compression and image quality have been improved, high and low res files are now available. I also added a whole bunch of new footage taken this Saturday, as well as changing some clips and angles to make the whole thing less monotonous. It's all a learning process for me, but I'm quite happy with my first effort so far :)

The next project is already on its way, featuring a bunch of touring cars/LMGTs/JGTCs. These cars are a hassle to set up right, but hopefully I'll get the replays sorted soon enough... expect bigger angles, longer links and a whole lot more tire smoke ;)

Wow! Amazing! Very good angle. Great job following the line. And the linking, what can i say, especially with the supra. I like it aggressive. 👍 👍 One suggestion, include the exit of that black BMW at Mid-Field Raceway. That was the perfect slow-mo moment.

MaskedAveng3r
One suggestion, include the exit of that black BMW at Mid-Field Raceway. That was the perfect slow-mo moment.

What happened with that exit is for me to know, and you to wonder about ;)

Thanks for the support! 👍

Ok, it hasn't been very long since I made a vid.. but I'm sorta hyperactive when I get a new toy ;)

Anyway, this is a full 6 and a half minutes of touring car (and one rally car) drifting... I guess I got inspired by all the ruckus about race car drifting over at GTP lately. These cars sure do like to grip, but I think I managed to iron it out somehow.

It's only been 2 weeks (one?) since Helpless, so don't expect the greatest achievements in skill, a few of my flaws from the first vid is still showing in a few clips... but there are some new stuff in here as well - new/longer links, tracks I haven't drifted before and obviously the race cars ;)

Hope you'll enjoy it and keep posting comments!

[Download link in first post]

That was some badass drifts Ske. The quality was cyrstal clear, clear as mud and what smoothness 👍

Did you say in your first post that your using the DFP 900 degree mode in your vids? What about your DTCC vid was that done with the DFP in 900 mode cause if you did I would love to see some of those settings. :)

I swear your drifts looks very similar to DelphicReason. You should check out his vid if you haven't done so.

I use the old blue DF wheel (270 degrees) mounted on an 18 inch tall coffee table for now lol.. I hope I can afford the upgrade sometime, I really want to check out that 900 mode. If you're still interested in some settings, I'll see what I can dig up, but they're far from perfect... I usually just find it easier sometimes to take a few laps to learn the car instead of fine tuning ;)

DR's videos are definitely a source of inspiration, and the smooth style of drifting he's perfected is something i someday hope to learn :)

I love the DTCC vol.1!

awesome drifting, the smooth control is similar to DP, but you have a more aggresive style IMO, and your feints/transitions looked so cool, I wonder why.... maybe the suspension?

nice video, good job! :)

Stanley^Carter
your feints/transitions looked so cool, I wonder why.... maybe the suspension?

Thanks for the support :)

I use a lot of brake drift combined with feint/lift, so that plus heavy rear brake bias and a softer rear setup make for a nice feel in transitions like that.

I also tend to set up my rear dampers really soft, which helps throw the rear around for some reason... I'm looking into more conventional setups now though, drifting race cars really taught me some things about control ;) Touch those cars the wrong way for a split second... and you grip lol

I'm likin' your new vid Ske, awesome, nice choice with the Rally Cars. Do you mind PMing me your BMW 3 Series Settings, for that race car :) ... Thanks if you can, any ways awesome vid.

Ske!!! That's some goodness there bud. Seriously, excellent presentation. Good control of your car with just a few shy angles. But you're well on your way. Keep at it. :)

This is getting a bit crazy, mad support guys (and gal :dopey: ) I'm definitely happy you're enjoying the clips.. I'll keep making them if you keep watching ;)

I think I'll take some time and work on my consistency and angles now, and see if I can cook up some proper exhibition style footage.. some subtly elaborate editing and syncing would probably be in place too. These first two vids were pretty much rushed, all the capturing, cleaning up and editing of DTCC took not much more than two hours :crazy:

@matt, I got a few PMs about my race car settings, so I'll post them in Vixen's Race Car Drift Project thread when I get around to it... as for the BMW, those settings changed a lot from clip to clip (I guess you can see the resulting change in angles I was able to obtain).. but all in all they ended up pretty neutral (for me that is): Something like 10F 8R springs, 6/8F 4/6R shocks, 4F 1R stabilizer and 4F 1R camber. Downforce at max front min rear on all the cars (to make it about even), brakes 3F 8-12R for angle control and N1s all around. One thing to note is that I used pretty relaxed LSD settings (around 10/30/10) to make the cars a little looser and more forgiving.

The BMW is a good entry level race car for drifting too, it has way less grip than the Merc, Ford and Subaru at least.

Ske, your videos are ok, don't force too much on the editing part, the thing that I liked about your video is that, its simple, and it allows me to focus solely on your drifting, which is a blast, luckily the music also suited my taste, so yeah... plus the music and great focus on the drift actions, i had a great time watching it. :)

Ske, that first video you came out with, it's awesome, the music and all that, I even made my own Camaro to drift ;) Who sings that song? Your second vid, I like the fact you did Rally cars, but I put my volume down b/c of the music.

ekmatt9
Ske, that first video you came out with, it's awesome, the music and all that, I even made my own Camaro to drift ;) Who sings that song?

Music credit's at the end ;) It's Metallica "Helpless", from Garage Days Revisited (1987)...Though if I recall right that whole record was also included in their Garage, Inc. Mental note to self about using chilled out drum&bass hehe, seems like the favored sounds for drifting is metal of some sort ;)

Oh okay, sorry that I didn't see the name of the song at the end...My media player doesn't play the last 2 mins of people's video's no matter what. I need some new codecs or something.

New clip added - "A grand day out" - a showcase of the nimblest car in the game.

Back