Slash's F150 Street Truck: V8 Swap Incoming

• Thread starter Slash
  • 277 comments
I accidently bought two sets of coils so IV got to take one set back :lol:

Got the starter replaced and the issues with the bolts fixed up good. I've got a bit more play in the steering that I'd like so I'm going to pick up a center link/tie rod ends and then get the new radius arm bushings in, along with the new coils and shocks, then have it aligned. Then the front end should just about be entirely new. The truck will be sent out for frame repair, and after getting a second opinion from my friends at their shop, they say it's totally fixable and the whole truck really looks pretty solid and worth putting money into. After that I'll be ordering a set of traction bars, one more headlight bezel, a tailgate strap and then get started on some of the big time body work and begin planning for the engine swap and rear gearing. My fuel system to support a 393 is being priced out as well.

So today I bought one of the parts stores out of stock on wheel bearings, loading up on the front ones just to have them. After some hard wheeling the other night I destroyed both front ones, and damaged the spindle a bit. I buried it deep, up to the bumpers and floors. It took a 07 Chevy 4x4 with a 5.3 and big ass mud tires and a Jeep on 35s mud tires to pull me out :lol: The rotor was heavily damaged and because both it and the bearings were under warranty both were replaced :) It'll get by for now but I'm ordering another. I replaced one yesterday and was going to do the other today but it's pouring out so I'm going to try and push it off as long as I can. I only have a few days though.in the process I busted my tranny mount all the way so I ordered that and have to go pick it up tomorrow. I will be ordering the crossmember this week. I'm about to order a new headlight bezel as well, the second to last piece for the grille, the last piece being a new badge. I'm also thinking about picking up new F150 XLT badges tonight. I have been eyeballing fenders, doors and bumpers so those should come soon. Paint prices are what holds me back. I bought a new drag link and tie rod end today as well. I priced out a fuel system. That can wait as it's a lot more than I expected. I'm currently searching for traction bars, a rear sway arm kit and a front steering stabilizer. At this point I'm really just stocking up on parts. Still waiting on my rear wheels and tires to come as well. I did pick up some more Baja lights and a couple more KCs as well along with my bug shield and a brand new grille.

IMG_20160320_185247840_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_185237334.jpg
Snapchat-4451017063245726936.jpg

FB_IMG_1458586339984.jpg

Did this a few weeks ago but I got my grille on. I also ordered in new exterior door handles and my wheels for the front. Still haven't had a chance to get my springs and tie rods in, that's coming soon though, and will happen before I buy and installed the front tires. I'm so excited this is coming together. As you can see it still needs plenty of body and frame work but it's getting there.

IMG_20160411_191401636.jpg

Got my coils in, lifted the front end up somewhere around 2.5". Not quite level but damn close. Really happy with it. Just have to have the tie rods put in and it alignment as the camber is now pretty off. Rides smooth on pavement but damn off road it's like a solid axle. Bang! You sure as hell know when you hit something haha.

My front wheels also arrived, I'm hoping to order my tires next paycheck.

FB_IMG_1460659333604.jpg
Snapchat-5028382395540983021.jpg
Snapchat-4555706950997210003.jpg
Snapchat-5608890035959823409.jpg

3 shock steering stabilizer kit and stainless window rain guards ordered and on the way :)

Man that red interior makes it look pretty sweet.

Unless you prefer the tan carpet. I would get some black duplicolor for the carpet and spray it. Would be a nice touch in my opinion.

Man that red interior makes it look pretty sweet.

Unless you prefer the tan carpet. I would get some black duplicolor for the carpet and spray it. Would be a nice touch in my opinion.
That tan used to be gray! I'm debating on doing that or just yanking it and bedlining the floor or running a black vinyl mat.

I did this today.

In the process I figured out that I should.probably yank the bed off. She needs a lot of attention.

IMG_20160424_200412.jpg

Not so sure about the spray-everything-red thing. Noticed the wiper arms are also red. Classic case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I do like the interior though. Good move away from grey on that one.

I don't know. I think it's kinda neat and gives it some touches that get it away from everyone else's. The wiper blades are actually red double bladed ones. Always liked them, thought they were neat.

Thanks on the interior! 15 hours of labor give or take sure paid off.

Of course - it's your truck and you should do with it as you wish.

But is it better to differentiate it from others by colour-coding random bits (with plenty of overspray) with whatever rattle can you have lying around, or is it better to spend the time painting them say, black, doing a high-quality job that marks the truck out as better than everyone else's, rather than just different? Just some food for thought :)

Of course - it's your truck and you should do with it as you wish.

But is it better to differentiate it from others by colour-coding random bits (with plenty of overspray) with whatever rattle can you have lying around, or is it better to spend the time painting them say, black, doing a high-quality job that marks the truck out as better than everyone else's, rather than just different? Just some food for thought :)
It's a temporary thing. I'm planning on pulling the box off anyways, so if I do that when I sand blast the frame it'll be done right. I want to replace all the suspension minus the shocks, so of I do I plan on having the leaf packs powercoated and not done with a rattle can.

Slash, can you do me a huge favor? I keep seeing all these damn trucks with 824 springs in them sitting almost level. Mine doesn't, I just measured and I'm still 2" short of level lol Can you measure from the center of your center cap to the lip of the fender? My truck is coming in at about 19.75" front middle of center cap to fender lip. Trying to figure out if mine is just taller out back, or if maybe I was sent the wrong springs.

Which really would be ok either way since I'm buying drop shackles for the rear, but curiosity is killing me

Mine didn't quite level it out...it's maybe a half inch shorter up front. My camber is still off but yeah when I get a chance tonight I will. I have to deal with this mess.

Snapchat-5742391508362540851.jpg

Damn that sucks. I saw on Facebook you hit a deer, which is what I'm always worried about out where I live. Your truck took it pretty well though. Guess it's time now to upgrade to full plate off road bumpers that will explode a deer.

3c8ba748c59e719cc9d812d110c2a16e.jpg

Oh and were you at least able to keep the deer? I mean if the jerk is going to run out and hit you the least it can do is provide you with some decent eating.

Yeah I nailed it pretty good. I am surprised how well it took the impact between the rate it was moving and my speed. I never felt the impact in the truck, and the brunt of the damadamage was plastic. I should have it all back together this week...I'm ordering parts tomorrow and tore into it tonight. It cleaned up well.

This is pretty much how I'm driving it until parts come in. I will probably run without a bumper until I can afford a beast like that one.

FB_IMG_1462495105507.jpg

I could have took the deer but I didn't see it until today and by then it kinda already was dead too long. It was a huge doe, and looked pregnant.

Glad it's not as wrecked as the thread title implied - I was expecting a lot more of a mess. You just can't really plan for deer strikes unless you've seen them way up the road. Luckily it's not something I really have to deal with where I live, as I suspect my Miata wouldn't take it quite as well :lol: Just pheasants to worry about here, which seem to be a bit suicidal.

Yeah, I gotta say it really handled it well. Now's the time to do some major body work since I've got it apart. My dad found a Bronco of a similar year in the same color that the owner is parting out...if I can get the front clip cheap, I'll put on brand new fenders and hood etc.

I tore off the now trashed rear bumper tonight, temporarily rigged up the plate, but I'm debating between a Lighting style roll pan, or some kind of off-road bumper. This is all just temporary until the new parts arrive.

IMG_20160506_183125947_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160506_183136837_HDR.jpg

I saw the title and thought it might be game over too, glad to see that's not the case. You've made some good progress on this truck @Slash, especially with the new wheels and interior swap. Once you've got that nice big bulbar you'll be well on your way :)

The problem down here is Kangaroos, and those bouncing bastards have given me more close calls than I can count :lol:

Thanks bud! I do have matching wheels for the front, just no tires to mount yet, and I don't really wanna stretch 235s across them. They are going to have to wait.

I've made progress but honestly the interior swap was the biggest project. The most time consuming. I estimate about 15 hours of labor including pulling some of it from the junkyard. Really though, anyone with a basic socket and ratchey set can perform an interior swap on any of these trucks, it was very straightforward.

These trucks are easy to work on, but will be simpler after I do the ECU delete down the road. No more electronic controls for the transmission (which means new trans, but that was the plan anyways) of anything else. I want to complete rewire the truck to run the most simple wiring possible. Which means I will probably end up using a harness out of an older truck, or custom wiring my own. This is all stuff down the road.

I still need to replace the tranny crossmember and mount, as well as fix a few small cracks in the frame and now replace another shackle.

The plan is to take the bed off it and really tear into the rails themselves and fix any and all issues, including bracing, boxing portions in, etc. Cab mounts, core support mounts, all that will be addressed in time. I don't make a lot of money or this would have been taken care of already. I'm only one person doing most of this myself. Really though, the average person with a basic knowledge of mechanics can wrench on one of these. That's what I love about them.

I'm going to really focus on body and frame work right now. The engine and trans, minus a starter and solenoid, knock on wood, have been fantastic with no issues and I'm not easy on it.

It's getting there. It'll be a while before it's where I want.

Almost back together, reused some old parts and scored most of a southern front end off a friend of a friend. Probably going to grab fenders soon.

FB_IMG_1462745296944.jpg

Got the front end back together, I'd like to reorder the outer bezel and Grille and shim the bumper. I have to put a retaining clip in still for the adjuster and put 2 bulbs back in but it's almost there. I need to do frame work ASAP, or at least drill some holes to stop the cracks from spreading. They are getting bad quick, but very much fixable.

Also need to find a new rear bumper and get the bed off. The crossmembers need help badly. Yesterday I installed a solid anchor mount for the tranny. Most if not all clunking has been eliminated. Twin I beam and TTBs while ride decent when they hit a bump, and being stiff now, you sure as hell know it. I also tore the carpet out to asses the floor and it's not horrible. I also installed a newer, plush vinyl bench and I'm so glad I did. The ride quality improved tenfold.

I also, while still haven't got the tie rods done, at least got the stabilizer on. Bumper steer has pretty much been eliminated. The steering I wouldn't say is quicker, but it is stiffer, the return rate improved and there is a good bit of resistance on it now and overall it feels better. Not bad for a single shock and bolt on at that.

The new bumper is from Idaho and completely rust free. I sanded the back down and undercoated it, and installed some gun racks ;)

I also temporarily made a plate to use as a mock-up for when I make the real thing for my switch panel. The skid plate by the stabilizer is going to get cut off.

My headliner is out for now...the cardboard is in great shape. Dad ordered headliner material for his truck and enough to do mine as well so they will match. Kinda nice considering our interiors are the same color now. It makes ordering stuff a little easier.

Snapchat-2099077519525410790.jpg
Snapchat-9160118043701307373.jpg
FB_IMG_1462913845720.jpg
Snapchat-8990060516587254647.jpg
IMG_20160512_182605910.jpg
IMG_20160512_182614279_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160512_182629175.jpg
IMG_20160512_182635242.jpg
IMG_20160512_182640364.jpg
Snapchat-2901052259635587110.jpg
1463172021237.jpg
1463172115333.jpg

I've been doing some light body work, just to fend off rust a bit until I get new body panels. It's not all done yet, but this is where I'm at. The arches I will probably patch.

IMG_20160520_191855966.jpg
Snapchat-477134145567384725.jpg
Snapchat-3831373784765505607.jpg

Also. I may have done a thing while I have the bumper off.

Snapchat-3938108165755560148.jpg

So here is a run down on everything going on lately.

The frame while saveable I really am looking into a full rail swap for the driver side. The big crack hit a hole so it will not spread anymore. However there is enough flex that the rear end wants to shift ever so slightly...the bottom helper spring that is not part of the pack has shifted to the side a bit. In the mean time going to get spring clamps to hold them together and have my bosses husband weld a nice thick bead over the cracks and plate the holes so it will pass inspection...he already told me he'd pass it for me. This is temporary work to keep it together before I replace the rail, pull the bed off, and box it in for stiffness. Eventually I would like to run a full cage. I also have found another shackle in need of replacement. I only have 3 that need replacing now before all have been replaced. luckily they are cheap. I have thrown the idea of taking it off the road and keeping it at a friend's house while we do the work on it and buying a cheap beater for now.

I have been eyeballing a few clean short boxes in the area for about $750. I won't be jumping on it yet, but soon I hope. Same for fenders. In the mean time I have just done basic bondo patch work on one fender and rattle canned most of the deep scratches. I don't really care about appearance right now, it's a work in progress that needs mucho body work. One day I will have the whole truck painted.

On vacation I had a coolant leak from a heater core hose so makeshift patched it with a piece of pipe and hose clamps until I place both hoses on a day off. I'm planing on replacing most of the hoses. I also had an issue I beleive I traced to a bad dome light bulb that was draining my battery dead in short trips. Brutally dead. I'm hoping to have ironed it out, but we shall see with time.

I have been putting off the tie rods and alignment forever. It's still going to be a bit before I get that done. I also hope in the next few weeks to get my front tires on.

The big news is that I have found a fresh engine block. The block is a 1995 351W block with new freeze plugs and new cam bearings. The block comes with 8 Kieth Black pistons and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. I'm taking it all for $500. The fun shall soon begin. I was also looking at a set of Detroit 4.30 gears but the guy backed out on me.

I was also pretty proud of myself, my little 6 cylinder outran my buddies big 5.3L Chevy at the drag strip. His truck was no doubt faster. But I knew how to drive :) he nearly pulled it back, but my slick reaction time saved me. In the end it offset and I won by .0923. Talk about a close race!

Snapchat-4920881747426877624.jpg
Snapchat-3628091579256407306.jpg
Snapchat-5410176215321321053.jpg
FB_IMG_1463951140502.jpg
FB_IMG_1463951138455.jpg
FB_IMG_1463951134260.jpg

Last edited:
Took her to the track tonight. Been playing around with some stuff. I hollowed out one of two cats, and while louder and now arguably better sounding, I also ran an open throttle body and picked up 2/10ths of a second and 1mph over last week. I'm estimating i picked up around 10hp just doing that, crazy as it sounds. I hope I'll get the back gas tank out of it before next week, just to see how much difference it makes.

Snapchat-826869653638649711.jpg

IMG_20160605_195722536.jpg
_20160608_223256.JPG

Had some trouble...popped 3 tires due to crap in the road. Razor blade, a piece of metal and a rock. Both my 275s and a stock one blew...the ere trashed. I managed to save one of my stockers.

But in lieu of this happening, I said screw it and finally did what I've been wanting to do, and that's giving her wide stance. Alignment will be done asap as I do not want these to wear out in 2 months.

I. Am. In. Love.

1466461661595.jpg
IMG_20160620_180557833.jpg
1466461687865.jpg

Latest Posts

Back