Slightly Mad Studios Confirms New Project CARS Title is In Development

It's more 'Shift' in terms of us giving you less of a 'sandbox' and more of a fun game. Aside from that we plan to really go to town on sim goodness...

The sandbox type approach is basically why a lot of people play PCars. Ive never heard anyone complain about the sandbox 'do anything you want' type thing.
This to me sounds like the track list is getting cut and the gameplay modes/options will be cut, I'm guessing there will prob be no option to race with friends against the ai in the next title online etc
More focused on fun sounds like game studio talk for cutting options and items to save development resources and money and pump out a game that appeals to a more mass market and get the dosh

This to me sounds like the track list is getting cut and the gameplay modes/options will be cut, I'm guessing there will prob be no option to race with friends against the ai in the next title online etc
More focused on fun sounds like game studio talk for cutting options and items to save development resources and money and pump out a game that appeals to a more mass market and get the dosh
He doesn't elaborate what he really means by this so all this doom and gloom talk could literally just be that.

Oh no, how DARE they make money.
You rarely see this in anything other than the entertainment industry. When Cadbury's announce a new type of chocolate, you never see "this is just an attempt to get money out of us."

Oh no, how DARE they make money.

I hope they make money, that wasn't my point.
They said they are taking away the sandbox to make the game more 'fun' yet I've never heard anyone complain about the sandbox factor.
Usually when a game company does that it means it will be entirely focused on one or a few modes.
I think you will end up getting a game focused on a career mode and the track list will be cut as its does not fit the narrative etc (also saves money on licensing)

He doesn't elaborate what he really means by this so all this doom and gloom talk could literally just be that.

You rarely see this in anything other than the entertainment industry. When Cadbury's announce a new type of chocolate, you never see "this is just an attempt to get money out of us."

Tbf a lot of people don't eat cadburys anymore since the USA buyout and they changed the recipe to more cheap palm solids etc and dairy milk changed taste (just look at the user reviews for it now its carnage lol), one of my relatives owns a good few shops and they only buy in 30% of the cadburys stocks they used to. Unrelated but interesting lol

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...s/what-people-saying-cadburys-theyre-12570506

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbf a lot of people don't eat cadburys anymore since the USA buyout and they changed the recipe to more cheap palm solids etc and dairy milk changed taste (just look at the user reviews for it now its carnage lol), one of my relatives owns a good few shops and they only buy in 30% of the cadburys stocks they used to. Unrelated but interesting lol

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...s/what-people-saying-cadburys-theyre-12570506
That may happen on occasion but it doesn't happen every single time they announce a new type of chocolate.

Hopefully better road car physics in PC3. The behavior of AI in certain section of certain tracks also need fixing, for example the AI does not brake or let off of the throttle shortly before the jump on "Flugplatz" in the Nordschleife, which often results in a crash after the car lands because it was moving too fast.

We have something massively better coming.
@IanBell

Let me reiterate that you please consider adding a text-based chat window for the online lobbies this time around. I'm sure many would appreciate that.

Not everybody has a mic, not everybody who has a mic uses it, not everybody has a voice (mute players). A text chat would really be helpful to many people.
I for one have played both pCARS 1 & 2 online for more than a hundred hours and it is the feature I miss the most.

PC2 hits these spots for me:
  • Sandboxy; create whatever you like
  • Vintage cars
  • Variable weather/time
  • Awesome track list
  • Best FOV and wheel options
Personally online racing is something I rarely do (never bothered in PC2) and career mode is extremely dry, not that exciting.

Not sure what a second sequel will need for me to play regularly, but PC2 was big improvement over the original. VR on consoles would be a major plus...

It's more 'Shift' in terms of us giving you less of a 'sandbox' and more of a fun game. Aside from that we plan to really go to town on sim goodness...

The sandbox feeling got me hooked on with Project Cars 1 in the first place. I could drive any car on any track out of the box, I didn't have to grind for them. Shift 1 and 2 was okay games, but especially in the latter you had to grind a bit to have all the cars or use third party software for it.

I'm tired of jumping between 5 games to get the best simulation experience.

If someone could just take Racerooms audio, rF2 tire model, Automobilsta FFB, and PC2 graphics it would be finished.

I'm in 4 different leagues in 3 sims it's exhausting keeping up with tunes, what works here doesn't work there ********.
We need a King simulation to end it.
What do people see in PC2 graphics that I don't? Looks REALLY great on screenshots, but the shadows popping on trees, terrible AA (at 1080p with a GTX 1060 I can't find a setting that looks and runs well), undetailed tracks (especially the ones reused, if only every track looked like Long Beach...) and the colour palette (this one is subjective) make it look worse than most modern sims in "normal" dry conditions in my opinion.

They said they are taking away the sandbox to make the game more 'fun' yet I've never heard anyone complain about the sandbox factor.
I have always complained about sims that only offer a sandbox. It diminishes the long term appeal of a game and its replay value later on.

With that said, no one said they are taking away the freedom to drive anything you want straight away. I reckon when @IanBell says "less of a sandbox" he means it will be more than just a sandbox.

They better release the game in a properly finished this time. Some issues at release were ashaming, not to mention many weren't fixed in the end throught an entire year.

Release a finished game MrBell; make everybody happy so word spreads, and good sales will finally come. This is the primary thing PC3 is going to need above anything else.., to be released in a finshed status.

And then of course reduce categories by a wide margin; add even more tracks to the already overwhelming roster; remove rallycross please regardless how awesome its physics ended up being (this is a track racing game above all. I mean make your own rallycross or rally game with those aawesome physcics. It will be epic, but remove it from pc2 so there's more space for other stuff track racing wise), and for the love of the god make the online mode and reqrite code from the scratch, and make yourselves sure this time It is going to be good and not the joke pc1 and 2 online have been both.

Also SMS.., could you please for the love of the god open the pits already for club layouts and of course the Nords?, it is beyond me why you don't do this kind of basic stuff
The RallyCross has to continue in the game, it's more fun having different modalities, not just track races. I enjoy the game as it is growing I do not want to go back to PC1. PC3 more tracks of all kinds more cars and more modalities.

PC3 more tracks of all kinds more cars and more modalities.
And then what do we do with the scattered online because of the many categories, again?

Don't get me wrong. A point to point rally game with this gravel/tarmac physics would be a dream come true, but I hate rallycross however.

And then what do we do with the scattered online because of the many categories, again?

Don't get me wrong. A point to point rally game with this gravel/tarmac physics would be a dream come true, but I hate rallycross however.
If you hate RallyCross it's your problem but do not force the company to eliminate it for you. I hate that it's always a closed circuit, this game can give much more and it's what I want. It can be your opinion and I respect it but you do not have to force nobody.

The problem with random online play (on console) is not the number of categories - the main ones are lack of room labels / titles plus difficulty with sorting and displaying available rooms. This desperately needs sorting out if the next title is to succeed, because although online is good and healthy for organised leagues, it is terrible on console for players wanting the convenience of being able to race online against random strangers.

In PC2 there are official competitions of all kinds including RallyCross, where the runners earn money and the company the success you what you say is that those people who compete in RallyCross in this game retire and they are looking for life, behind this there are people who makes a living competing to earn money.A1esports is an example of competition where this PC2.

If you hate RallyCross it's your problem but do not force the company to eliminate it for you. You do not have to force nobody
Your victimism speech sounds delicious.

You know could also go playing other rallycross games such as dirt rally, and leave pc for track racing only. We would have one less problem too

You know could also go playing other rallycross games such as dirt rally, and leave pc for track racing only. We would have one less problem too
I know there are other Rally games, and I am not a victim, I like this game with what your RallyCross has and I like it to follow. It's as simple as that.We can be like this for a long time, and do not call me a victim, because I'm good with you. ;)

Not everyone is fortunate enough to buy a track racing game and an offroad game, having both in one game makes pCARS 2 the perfect solution to some people.

I've never understood these kind of arguments when people call for features to be removed because "I don't like it" and "game x has a very similar offering, play that instead" - Even more so when the game never forces you to undertake an activity you don't like. Why would you want to remove features other people enjoy from the game?

Stupid questions :
1) in Pcars 2, still no real driver swap for endurance 24h ( i think development is finished - sadly, no more free update to come) ; so, will you implement endurance races as well in Pcars 3 ? and real driver swap ?
2) I find speed feeling to be a bit slow in pcars 2, could you improve it in Pcars 3 ?

Not everyone is fortunate enough to buy a track racing game and an offroad game, having both in one game makes pCARS 2 the perfect solution to some people.

I've never understood these kind of arguments when people call for features to be removed because "I don't like it" and "game x has a very similar offering, play that instead" - Even more so when the game never forces you to undertake an activity you don't like. Why would you want to remove features other people enjoy from the game?
As the partner says if you do not like this mode, do not play it in the PC2 and PC3 games, but you do not have to eliminate so that the game is more your own than the rest that I like more modalities in this game. :)

The sandbox feeling got me hooked on with Project Cars 1 in the first place. I could drive any car on any track out of the box, I didn't have to grind for them. Shift 1 and 2 was okay games, but especially in the latter you had to grind a bit to have all the cars or use third party software for it.
Agreed. I think the non-drive every car on every track should just be limited to a career mode. Maybe use it buy cars to create your team with a financial system and maybe hire staff and drivers with series number plates like GT Sport with licensed series having their number plates like PWC in this game and non-licensed series like British GT using the generic number plates which SMS have on things like GT3 and GT4. Anyway. I'm thinking on the spot. It would be pretty cool.

When you choose your series and choose your already bought car/buy a car, you're given the options to choose an existing livery, choose your own livery or design a livery. When designing the livery, the number plates you will race with will be put on the car allowing you to understand where you can realistically paint. And on the cars which wouldn't have a number plate such as NASCAR and IndyCar, a selection of fonts would be nice.

But outside of a career mode, like when creating a livery, online play or practice, I'd prefer it to be sandbox.

Last edited:
Not sure what all the hate is about. @IanBell mentioned that they're aiming for a spiritual successor to Shift, which sounds a whole lot like borrowing the ideologies of that title, rather than replicating the practices of it, the same way Forza Horizon is the spiritual successor to Test Drive Unlimited - despite the vast differences in execution.

Sounds a whole lot like SMS is working on delivering a more focused experience this time around. There are a lot of limitations to the sandbox racing genre, especially in the sim racing scene, mainly involving tone and direction. Ian seems to be hinting that this new title will definitely carry a personality that only stands to delight fans of the series. Kunos is doing something similar themselves by focusing on a particular racing series - the Blancpain GT series - which carries a personality of its own that is very different compared to the likes of a stock car racing series like NASCAR.

Tone and direction are very powerful tools when used properly and can ultimately decide what sort of audience your game is catered towards. If executed properly, pCars 3 will not only double down on its promise to provide players with a high level of fidelity and realism, but it'll also breathe new life to the series by giving it a personality that encourages the very reason we all play video games in the first place - to have fun.

..either that or they're ditching it all and are working on rivaling the newly announced Crash Team Racing.

PS4_STANDARD_EDITION.png

I am confused a little bit with this "Shift roots" for PC3. I only hope there won't be cuts in game content. I love all of this historic motorsport classes. I want group C, GT1, GTO, Group A,Vintage Prototypes but also modern classes like LMP1 or GTE and GT3.

But to be honest? I don't need more stuff in PC3. Just focus on what this game already has, add more variety for existing classes or motorsports and I will be satisfied.

Estimate of timeline to title? Are we waiting for next gen consoles?

It was January 2017 if I remember correctly when Ian announced 2, we had it 9 months later.

Can PC guys get in early?

Such suggestions are especially daft when "game x" is an inferior game or just not the same caliber of simulator.

@fernandito has no leg to stand on considering he has made it clear he enjoys driving street cars in PCARS2. If others had their way, players like him and me who enjoy driving roadcars should just "go play Forza or Gran Turismo," leaving PCARS for the crowd who only want racecars in their sim and feel like roadcars don't belong.

As if purpose-built racecars should monopolize all the realism, and only racecars deserve the benefits of everything in a game like PCARS. Not including rallycross racecars, of course.

Back