Slightly Mad Studios Confirms New Project CARS Title is In Development

Boy you guys are quick...

Can you share anything more? Will the console be placed against the new Playstation and Xbox? Will it be a console specially pointed towards the racingscene? Was the engine that is running on it developed specially for the Madbox? How mad is it?

Can you share anything more? Will the console be placed against the new Playstation and Xbox? Will it be a console specially pointed towards the racingscene? Was the engine that is running on it developed specially for the Madbox? How mad is it?
We plan to hammer anything else planned by anyone else. It's not specific to racing games, it will ship with a full open engine with utility for any type of game. As in a full rendering engine, a scripting system, an AI module, an audio module, a complex physics module and a full UI system, among much else.

It will have the best VR support possible and will have a full backend with esports functionality for any type of game fully functional.

Ouch, if PCars 3 requires to buy a new console (other than PS5) to play it it's going to take a very long time before I'll own it. Most of us won't have something like 400 Euro's to spare for a single game. Adding a gaming chair and a steering wheel to play the game as it's meant to adds up to about a thousand Euro's.

I guess it will be quite expensive with all of that. Will your games still be multiplatform or you want to focus on Mad Box?

We plan to hammer anything else planned by anyone else. It's not specific to racing games, it will ship with a full open engine with utility for any type of game. As in a full rendering engine, a scripting system, an AI module, an audio module, a complex physics module and a full UI system, among much else.

It will have the best VR support possible and will have a full backend with esports functionality for any type of game fully functional.

Thank you very much for your answer :cheers: Does it mean as well that PCARS3 will be the showcase title for the Madbox and that they will launch together?

If I may be direct: What is it that you guys decided to go this way and get yourselves geared up against a fearsome console battle with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? What are your thoughts about Valves try with their Steambox? Trying to picture for myself where you put yourselves ;)

When is the estimated release date? Will it be in collaboration with NVIDIA or AMD? And will it be competive in price with the next generation PlayStation and Xbox?

Sounds wonderful.... and expensive.

Will Project Cars 3 have car customization from the Shift series, but better such as separate bodykits?

Will PC3 also has more road cars like the Shift series?

Last edited:
Looking forward to PC3 now. PC1 and 2 are great games, but I still miss the good old days of racegames where you start with a low tier car and upgrade while you progress. That is what definately is missing in GT spor as well.

I do not believe in Project CARS3 Horizone Unlimited, we get Shift 2.5 ProStreet.

I'm actually OK with that, just as long as the Drag racing isn't a QTE Mini-game. Up until the first Drag Race, I remember ProStreet was pretty fun. A little over the top and Arcady, but fun. If I could have avoided the Drag events, I probably would have gotten further in the title.

Oh boy I'll need to avoid Race department for a few days I can hear the whining and **** talking already in light of this interesting news.
I'm very interested on the specs with the new box sounds promising.

but-why.gif

There is a reason why GT3 car classes dominate Gran Turismo and Project Cars online: they're accessible and don't often fight the driver. It is a wonderful feeling to simply race a car, within its maximum limits, and without struggling to keep it on road.

Many cars in P Cars 2 were difficult to manage with a controller, and the focus quickly devolved from maintaining a racing line to simply taming the car's steering/throttle. This is very frustrating.

GT3 class rooms dominate because the car class behaves nicely and allow drivers to truly race instead of battling the car itself.

How can we more often replicate that vibe?

Though road cars are not race cars, (though some are damn close), I think gamers were just disappointed at how little actual racing was possible in P Cars 2. The majority of battling was not between you and the other racers or the flow of the circuit, but rather the battle was between car physics & driver.

There's gotta be a way without sacrificing fun or "realism"

Last edited:
Is the chase camera going to be reassessed at all? The current one is either way too close, or has the sense of speed sucked away the further the camera is away from the car. I don't like close chase cams as they are too detrimental to the FOV. So is there going to at least be a second chase cam option, further away from the car, with a wide viewing angle?

Is the chase camera going to be reassessed at all? The current one is either way too close, or has the sense of speed sucked away the further the camera is away from the car. I don't like close chase cams as they are too detrimental to the FOV. So is there going to at least be a second chase cam option, further away from the car, with a wide viewing angle?

I second this. All camera views could do with a reassessment, but Chase Cam needs to be focused on first as it as the least sense of speed out of all the views available. Shift 2 had an ideal setup in this regard:

Though road cars are not race cars, (though some are damn close), I think gamers were just disappointed at how little actual racing was possible in P Cars 2. The majority of battling was not between you and the other racers or the flow of the circuit, but rather the battle was between car physics & driver.

There's gotta be a way without sacrificing fun or "realism"

When did you last try pcars 2? I thought this same thing when it first launched (most cars spun out waaaay too easily). However, seems like updates fixed this over time as most cars are pretty good with some being excellent now. If you have not tried recently might want to try it again and see.

As for the madbox. Unless it's basically a custom PC then madbox=failure. No chance for a new console to get any traction at all IMO. I for one am done with console racing after having finally made the switch to PC this last year and I won't be going back.

So I guess I'm just confused or really out of touch with everyone else. I don't understand how having a locked down game is more fun than a game that just lets you play? By locked down I mean being forced to complete a lot of tasks/disciplines that you may have no interest in what so ever just to get to a car or track that you want. To be honest the only thing that I haven't liked about PC1&2 is a simple offline option that lets me create my own custom offline championship and track my own personal game states (races, lap records, etc.....) without constantly updating from the internet.

For me it used to be fun to have a special car or two that was unlocked when you hit a certain level, but now seems with all racers 70 % of the game has to be unlocked. To me that isn't fun especially when it's stuff I have interest in. And then when you take a game like Ride 3 were they lock everything and do it so wrong, it's like what is the point? I thought this was about racing? My only goal is to get better not collect or complete tasks. I understand not everyone feels the same but I don't understand why devs seem to think everyone DOES FEEL the SAME and seem to take offense when you ask for a simple option to just let the player play the way they want.

Again I thought PC1&2 did a lot very very right but the lack of more open offline options just killed it for me. And if the idea of "more fun" is going back to the locked down format of Shift as the only way to access stuff then that already scratches PC3 off my list

Back