SNAIL - Cat & Mouse - Next Event TBA

• Thread starter SAMHAIN85
  • 249 comments
Very interested. Only the 20th works for me but I’m just one person and I don’t mind what dates you race on as long as one of them is the 20th :)

July 6th, no can’t make it. Plans with wife.
July 20th, no annual physical inventory at the drug company.
July 27th, YES!

And what are the rules? Anything goes?
Yes - except: NO DRIVING BACKWARDS. You can use Reverse gear all you want - just drive in the correct direction

Need to discuss the rule of not driving backwards on track and what it exactly means.

As I understand Sam's intention on this, you cannot go back for any reason what so ever. So, if you are the pusher and you overshoot the mouse, you have to simply wait for the little fella to catch up to you as you are not allowed to go back and help him. You could be waiting for a while.

I like the rule if it is to eliminate drivers who choose to drive lap after lap in the backwards direction or those who intentionally shoot ahead so they can turn around for a head on. But to not be able to go back and push/attack a mouse is too much.

I don't care for rooms with open rules, some rules are needed to help improve the enjoyment of cat n mouse. But I do not like this rule.

All good points and they are ones I didnt think about @JamCar0ne

I put the rule in place to prevent people from turning around and doing a complete lap in the wrong direction just to take out the leaders. It has happened a few times in the past and that will not be tolerated.

Driving backwards for a small portion of the track with the intention of going back to help your mouse is another story. That should and will be perfectly legal.

For example:

Stelephant gets the short end of the stick on this one and is stuck in the back of the grid as the mouse. I make his life miserable (sorry Stelephant :lol:) and he has no one to help him. In a situation like that where a mouse is stranded, absolutely you should be able to turn around and go back to help (as Tec did)

Thanks for bringing that up Jam. I will make the rules more clear before we kick off the next one.

Also something to think about: To prevent a mouse from getting stuck in the back of the grid like that in the example, we can manually set the grid to have the Mice start up front. In fact I remember doing some C&M races where the mice had a 10 or so second head start as the cats waited. That way the cats arent all over them like white on rice the second the green flag drops. It would allow them to get some separation.

The 6th and 26 are go’s for me

Its the 27th does that still work for you? And did you mean to write go's or "no-go's"?

I think we'll scrap the idea of running it on the 6th since a few of you already cant make it, and its less than a week away. Maybe we can use the 6th as a test night.

Id like to make sure everyone that wants to run this is able to. Maybe we can run back to back weeks (20th and 27th) to accommodate everyones schedules.

Depending on how good the cat/mouse cars are, we could run it on both dates. We'll just make sure to change up the tracks in between dates to keep it fresh.

If no one reserves the upcoming Fridays (20th and 27th) we would like to pencil in C&M @JLBowler

@SAMHAIN85 I remember last time there was a lot of frustration because mice were getting pushed backwards on the track.
Maybe we should add a rule that it's allowed to block a mouse on the track but not to push it backwards.

@SAMHAIN85 I remember last time there was a lot of frustration because mice were getting pushed backwards on the track.
Maybe we should add a rule that it's allowed to block a mouse on the track but not to push it backwards.

That's part of the fun and to also pin and hold the mouse. :)

All good points and they are ones I didnt think about @JamCar0ne

I put the rule in place to prevent people from turning around and doing a complete lap in the wrong direction just to take out the leaders. It has happened a few times in the past and that will not be tolerated.

Driving backwards for a small portion of the track with the intention of going back to help your mouse is another story. That should and will be perfectly legal.

For example:

Stelephant gets the short end of the stick on this one and is stuck in the back of the grid as the mouse. I make his life miserable (sorry Stelephant :lol:) and he has no one to help him. In a situation like that where a mouse is stranded, absolutely you should be able to turn around and go back to help (as Tec did)

Thanks for bringing that up Jam. I will make the rules more clear before we kick off the next one.

Also something to think about: To prevent a mouse from getting stuck in the back of the grid like that in the example, we can manually set the grid to have the Mice start up front. In fact I remember doing some C&M races where the mice had a 10 or so second head start as the cats waited. That way the cats arent all over them like white on rice the second the green flag drops. It would allow them to get some separation.

Its the 27th does that still work for you? And did you mean to write go's or "no-go's"?

I think we'll scrap the idea of running it on the 6th since a few of you already cant make it, and its less than a week away. Maybe we can use the 6th as a test night.

Id like to make sure everyone that wants to run this is able to. Maybe we can run back to back weeks (20th and 27th) to accommodate everyones schedules.

Depending on how good the cat/mouse cars are, we could run it on both dates. We'll just make sure to change up the tracks in between dates to keep it fresh.

If no one reserves the upcoming Fridays (20th and 27th) we would like to pencil in C&M @JLBowler

I've got you on the schedule for the 20th. Lets wait on the 27th for now.

Who was the poor mouse at tokyo that made very very little progress? I felt bad for that guy.

That would be @TBongX

We were simply outgunned. There was only 1 of me, and 2 of you cats. I'd manage to block one of you, but the other would get around me. It was frustrating :banghead: Can only imagine how Tbx felt. We wont be using that Tokyo layout again its just too cramped. But like Jam had suggested - we can try the outer loop layouts that are a little wider.

Anyone going to be around tomorrow night? I'd like to try out some cars for the Cats and test some tracks. I tested Mount Panorama and that track doesnt seem to 'reset' you no matter where you cut. Thats what we need for C&M. And I think we can all agree on the Fiat being a good mouse for our next event.

;)
Anyone going to be around tomorrow night? I'd like to try out some cars for the Cats and test some tracks. I tested Mount Panorama and that track doesnt seem to 'reset' you no matter where you cut. Thats what we need for C&M. And I think we can all agree on the Fiat being a good mouse for our next event.
I thought when the Fiat was added it was the given next mouse. ;)
I hope to be there to practice my skills so I am not the non-example in the next video. Lol

C&M test lobby open to figure out the Cat cars and tracks

0474-5819-7676-8641-8500

How'd testing by go?

It went well and had a good turnout with 10 people. We tested a few tracks:

Mt. Panorama is a go, Circuit de la Sarthe is no good due to resets when you cut the turns, and Kyoto Myabi is a fun short track. Didnt test the Tokyo East outer loop which we used the hellcats for Sunday SNAIL, but on paper that should be a good layout since its wider than the previous Inner loop we tried previously which was found to be too narrow.

The cats and mice have been decided and I'll make a detailed post about that later with instructions for colors.

All systems go for Friday July 20th. It will be another fun night of organized C&M.

Yesterday, fired up the old PS3 for the first time in ages. Watched the replay of an epic 30 min cat and mouse event at Monza and decided to attempt to make some recordings of it. Had to switch video to standard definition to get the recording, so quality is not very good. Plus, the quality seems to have gotten worse when uploaded to youtube, but here is a short clip of me as the silver mouse.

This is Cat and Mouse!

Back